Kool and the Gang & the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame

123457»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    CELEBREMOS - Yay-hooooo!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Point well taken. At this point though, the only other group/artist that should have gotten in a long time ago (even before the time Kool and the Gang should have gotten in) in my opinion is Brian Eno/Roxy Music(At least that I can think of right now).

My list would include Link Wray (and I wish he were still alive to see it happen).

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    There are a ton of artists that should be in the RRHOF. Non-American artists, prog rock, and hard rock/heavy metal are all pretty under represented in there. Arguments could be made for:

Rush, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, MC5, King Crimson, Yes, the Stooges, Ted Nugent, Iron Maiden, the Runaways, Blue Cheer, ELP, ELO, the Damned, Foghat, Free, Bad Company, Mott the Hoople, Motorhead, and the list gets bigger every year, especially once Punk and New Wave hits.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    There are a ton of artists that should be in the RRHOF. Non-American artists, prog rock, and hard rock/heavy metal are all pretty under represented in there. Arguments could be made for:

Rush, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, MC5, King Crimson, Yes, the Stooges, Ted Nugent, Iron Maiden, the Runaways, Blue Cheer, ELP, ELO, the Damned, Foghat, Free, Bad Company, Mott the Hoople, Motorhead, and the list gets bigger every year, especially once Punk and New Wave hits.

jesus, none of them are in there? this "hall of fame" needs even more help than i originally thought.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm impressed that this thread took the shit to the-breaks.com in its first five posts and still blossomed into a strange and terrifying beast.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I'm sure the Stooges got in there quite recently, although I could be imagining that. I think the whole "25+ years recording career" qualifier would shut a lot of those acts out right away.

• There are a ton of artists that should be in the RRHOF. Non-American artists, prog rock, and hard rock/heavy metal are all pretty under represented in there. Arguments could be made for:

I'm sure the Stooges got in there quite recently, although I could be imagining that. I think the whole "25+ years recording career" qualifier would shut a lot of those acts out right away.

With the possible exception of Motorhead, those acts should all be 25+ (most date to the 60s)...

• what would be the arguement for The Runaways?

I can't think of one.

I can't think of one.

first all women band to make money?

set the template for future all female bands?

are their songs played on classic R&R radio today?

I had a very good friend who was influenced by them. She felt that women and men today should know who The Runaways were. We would debate on how a 16 year old in 2003 would "need" to hear The Runaways at this point in time.

I felt that a 16 year old cant directly connect to them and they have too many other points of reference for making music in the early '00s.
    To me it would look like an Avril Levagne or The Donnas who I dont hatt.

I just couldnt co-sign on them being deified more than how they're placed today.

I could be wrong.

I can't think of one.

first all women band to make money?

set the template for future all female bands?

are their songs played on classic R&R radio today?

I had a very good friend who was influenced by them. She felt that women and men today should know who The Runaways were. We would debate on how a 16 year old in 2003 would "need" to hear The Runaways at this point in time.

I felt that a 16 year old cant directly connect to them and they have too many other points of reference for making music in the early '00s.
    To me it would look like an Avril Levagne or The Donnas who I dont hatt.

I just couldnt co-sign on them being deified more than how they're placed today.

I could be wrong.

The Runaways didn't make any money.

There were female (and female-led) bands on major labels before the Runaways.

No one is playing the Runaways on the radio (outside of college stations and specialty satellite channels).

Their "influence", outside of the Joan Jett legacy (which is who we should really be talking about here) is overblown by closet-case rock crit types (as well as the Kim Fowleys and Rodney Bingenheimers of the world) for whom they remain a masturbatory fantasy.

They weren't horrible, nor were they very good.

• There are a ton of artists that should be in the RRHOF. Non-American artists, prog rock, and hard rock/heavy metal are all pretty under represented in there. Arguments could be made for:

With the possible exception of Motorhead, those acts should all be 25+ (most date to the 60s)...

motorhead has been making records for over 30 years...plus Lemmy is the greatest living rocker on the planet today...

all of those artist listed should be in with the exception of Bad Company ("feelin like makin love" and what else? let Paul Rodgers in with Free and leave it at that)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My eyes are bleeding