Kool and the Gang & the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Having pop "cross-over hits" is what got The Dave Clark 5 inducted into the Rock Hall of fame last year didn't it?

What did DC5 crossover from?

Chic was patterned after Kiss.

I'm just glad Little Anthony and the Imperials are finally getting their props.

• Okay, forget the "cross-over" part (even though technically they did "crossover" to american shores from Britain to achieve mainstream success). The Dave Clark 5 basically got in the Hall of Fame on the strength of their pop-single success. Alright, so they were a rock band. Shouldn't the fact that another group known for pure unadulterated funk was able to make the transition and achieve mainstream success not once but on 12 different occasions throughout the bands history? Earth,Wind,& Fire was able to make that transition and they got inducted, why not Kool & the gang?

• Because it was his one and only hit musically. Steve Martin mainly put out comedy albums.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    as long as it's for "Country Junky" and "Jungle Boogie" and we can forget about "Joanna" and "Too Hot," then I agree witcha - KATG in the R&R H.O.F.!!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Because it was his one and only hit musically. Steve Martin mainly put out comedy albums.

i know that, i wasnt serious.

its just that you were playing up the "pop hit singles" angle so hard, i was just f*ckin' witcha. seriously, i am fascinated by trivia like chart positions and crossover success, too, but i dont let it cloud my judgement of what's what. for me personally, if all KATG had was their post-'75 records, then theyd be a worthless pop/soul act to me. yet i know that if they were ever even considered for the R&R H.O.F., those "phase two" records would be invoked way more than the hard funk that the connosseiurs like. so be it.

• Well it definitely won't be for Country Junky (as much as I like that tune)LOL. I'd go for Hollywood Swinging, Jungle Boogie, & Celebration (Because it's their biggest hit to date).

• I feel where you're coming from, different strokes for different folk I guess. As much as I prefer the old KATG, some of their post JT Taylor material gets me a bit nostalgic whenever I listen to it.

• Well it definitely won't be for Country Junky (as much as I like that tune)LOL. I'd go for Hollywood Swinging, Jungle Boogie, & Celebration (Because it's their biggest hit to date).

U cant seriously place Celebration next to Summer Madness?

Kool & The Gang are really two different groups whereas EW&F still maintained elements of their Cosmic-style into the 80's.

• Dude, Celebration is KATG's biggest hit. It's become their signature tune. As much as I prefer songs like The Penguin and Who's Gonna Take the Weight, I have to acknowledge Celebration as one of the definite tunes KATG will be known for and will go into the R&RHOF under.

• Celebration is Rock And Roll to you?

• It's as much Rock and Roll as EW&F's Let's Groove.

• It's as much Rock and Roll as EW&F's Let's Groove.

Dude, ur talkin in circles.

EW&F most likely got in for their hit ALBUMS(not singles)before Let's Groove.

EW&F had a stronger presence OVERALL than did K&ATG.

What dont you get?

Plus Maurice White's legacy in the game playin drums for Ramsey Lewis is probably a factor amongst those old muthafuckas. The In Crowd is industry loved.

DEAL.

Becky is gonna own EW&F Greatest Hits before Kool & The Gang's.

Shit some real heads will cut off EW&F at Boogie Wonderland.

• Call me when BET gives the Lifetime Music Award to Kool & The Gang.

• I'm pretty sure this whole thread is just a vehicle for litmus_test5 to name drop as many K&G songs as he can! Like he's doin it for the LULZ thinking to himself "I wonder if I can name drop every song in the K&G discography in one thread? YES! I can almost taste the lulz now"

edit: as to the very original post - I don't think anyone other than James Brown has had as much of an influence on hip-hop and pop music as Chic has. Especially considering that the majority of "pop" music since the late 70's has been dance music, and nobody other than James Brown has had more of influence on "dance" music than Chic has. imo.

• Well Willie Fraggle, me name dropping Kool and the gang songs was only done to further explain the point I was trying to make as to why I felt Kool & the gang belonged in the Rock & Roll Hall of fame in the 1st place. If making assumptions about what my motives are is your way of using some kind of psychologist tactic to pull my card then I would advise you to not quit your day job, stick to collecting breaks. That one eye patch on your avatar has got you seeing things one sided. Now, as far as you mentioning that you didn't think that anyone besides James Brown has had as much of an influence on hip-hop & pop, I quite frankly feel that's a total slap in the face to the legacy of Sly Stone who has had way more of an influence on hip-hop and pop music than possibly all of this years hall of fame nominees put together. He was one of the first (if not THE FIRST) to integrate rock and soul music (which has become commonplace in today's pop music industry), his band was the first to incorporate the bass slap technique on record (courtesy of Larry Graham),which has become commonplace in the music industry on the whole, he was the first incorporate the beat machine on record (also very commonplace in today's music industry, not in just hip-hop), his band sounded like the roots (or better) before any of the Roots members were even born, his song's have been covered by rock and r&b musicians alike, and I don't think I even need to discuss his massive influence on the hip-hop culture (you as a break collector should already know his track record on that). So you see one-eyed Willie, it's very hard you or anyone for that matter to come out and state that Chic has had more of an impact on hip-hop and pop music than anyone besides James Brown (and sound believable) when those who are in the know KNOW that there are other factors involved. However, I do also realize that you have your own opinion and are entitled to that, I just can't co-sign it.

• his band sounded like the roots (or better) before any of the Roots members were even born,

• Not necessarily talking in circles Luscious Fox just stating the facts. Who is to say that EW&F's singles didn't play a part in their induction into the Hall of Fame (along with their albums). Remember, the Dave Clark 5 got in purely on the strength of their hit singles during the 60's(and to me, they had no stage presence except for picking up their instruments and playing to the audience of young screaming teenage girls), so that alone proves the that amount of hit singles you rack up could play a key role on whether the R&RHOF induction committee chooses to nominate you or not. It may not be the only role but it certainly serves its purpose.

• That's why I put in parenthesis (better). Read it thoroughly.

• what im meant was to clarify that efw had major selling albums whereas Kool and them didnt until they went smoother.

Both groups had singles - no doubt.

• And as far as the BET notification goes, I wouldn't have to call you. You'll probably see it as a news bulletin while checking your yahoo,msn, aol, or whatever search engine you use to check your e-mail.

• Not all groups are the same. It takes a few albums for a group to get the formula right sometimes.

• And those smoother albums arent sonically near 77-79 Chic R&B.

• At that point did it need to be? Disco practically did EVERYBODY in (creatively speaking) from James Brown to Sly Stone to Curtis Mayfield, etc. A lot of musicians were out of work due the disco drum machines groups were using to replace drummers. You had to get in were you fit in or get rolled over. Parliament was one of the few who was able to stay on course and keep up with the disco juggernaut.

• Kool and the Gang just happen to have been able to find an opening to financially/commercially stay afloat with their lighter sound and just ran with it. Can't say I blame them, they did what they had to do to stay commercially relevant and in with the times and it paid off for them.

• Do u consider Celebration Rock N Roll?

Without drawing another artist into the discussion.

• I consider it to be a cross-over pop-hit, pop can be categorized under the rock and roll umbrella so yes, I consider it Rock and Roll.

• I consider it to be a cross-over pop-hit, pop can be categorized under the rock and roll umbrella so yes, I consider it Rock and Roll.

Celebration crossed over from R&B charts to Pop charts?

And -

Do u consider The Macarena Rock-N-Roll?

• i don't understand all this blah blah blah.

i couldn't really care less about the rock and roll hall of fame or how many times someone got sampled.

that said, dude (to me) brings up a reasonable point- that Kool and the Gang should be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame. I actually agree with him. the fact that everyone's arguing against him illustrates the power of the soul strut clique, which dictates that a classic, unassailable entity such as Kool and the Gang (80s pop dreck notwithstanding) does not take precedent over the need to bring it to someone who doesn't belong to the soulstrut cool kids club (disclaimer: i didn't actually read ever post in its entirety)

• i don't understand all this blah blah blah.

i couldn't really care less about the rock and roll hall of fame or how many times someone got sampled.

that said, dude (to me) brings up a reasonable point- that Kool and the Gang should be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame. I actually agree with him. the fact that everyone's arguing against him illustrates the power of the soul strut clique, which dictates that a classic, unassailable entity such as Kool and the Gang (80s pop dreck notwithstanding) does not take precedent over the need to bring it to someone who doesn't belong to the soulstrut cool kids club (disclaimer: i didn't actually read ever post in its entirety)

i don't understand all this blah blah blah.

• No one is arguing here - that's your dramatization.

Im talkin to dude.

Back to the topic.