Kool and the Gang & the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame

Comments

• No, let's really take it to the stage BT Express vs. Kool and The Gang.LOL.

• heatwave vs....
    brass construction vs..
    roy ayers vs...
    crown heights affair vs..

chicago vs. blood sweat & tears.

all i know is kool and the gang got some of the illlllest breaks.
    played out or not.
    jungle jazz drums.

• NewBirth vs. Ohio Players

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Let say there is that "Perception", there is a difference in the cultural spheres that supported/cultivated say Kool & The Gang's Light Of The Worlds vs. Second Helping by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Oh, no doubt. I'm not saying there weren't different spheres but I also think these can get overstated in hindsight, to the point where "rock" in the '70s becomes seemingly an all-White affair which I don't think sounds remotely correct even if it's accepted conventional wisdom.

I'm with Oliver here. I've no idea if there were black households where both Light Of Worlds and Second Helping would get comparable needletime, but as a broad measure of what I was listening to when I was 14, that covers it as well as anything else. Maybe substitute Straight Shooter or Wish You Were Here for Second Helping and perhaps Gratitude for Light of Worlds, but even if it wasn't going one way so much, there was certainly plenty going the other way.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Joanna

• Wildflower

Sail On

• Pain

Love The Life You Live (Parts 1 & 2)

• yall are stoooopid !

• Pride and Vanity

Mother Earth

• Spill the Wine

Four Bitches Is What I Got

• "Get the funk out my face".LOL

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've been lobbying to get New Edition in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I've been lobbying to get New Edition in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I think the reason that Billboard briefly dropped the R&B/Race charts was they were 0r appeared racist. The unintended results was some Black artists that would have charted R&B were not charting at all. So the chart was renamed and reinstated.

The way I heard it was that Billboard briefly dropped their R&B charts (they had LONG since dropped the "race" term by then) because it looked like black and white audiences were buying the same things. This was in late '63.

By the time the chart was reinstated in early '65, the soul revolution had already taken hold, and for every Motown or Stax artist who was crossing over, there was an O.V. Wright or a Walter Jackson whose records never got past the bottom 60 on the pop 100. So, the rhythm & blues listings came back, to accomodate the O.V. Wrights who sold the most in the black communities.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The people who view Billie Holiday as a Rock n Roll artist could be the Janis Joplin fans. Over the years I've noticed that if you've inspired a rock heavyweight, you're considered almost a rock figure in your own right (no matter what type of music you play). Look at Ravi Shankar, he inspired a Beatle to pick up the sitar and now his name has become synonymous with rock n roll.

I like Woody Guthrie as much as the next guy and even I had to wonder what he was doing in the "early influences" category. As best as I can tell, his rock & roll lineage stops with Bob Dylan. Maybe Springsteen, maybe his son Arlo, but I can't think of too much more. Maybe in folk, but not rock.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That's not what I think, that's what it is. The only other art-form that's just as popular (or more popular) is hip-hop and once you do your research, it all traces back to the same lineage.

There is so much that is fundamentally wrong with this assertion.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The people who view Billie Holiday as a Rock n Roll artist could be the Janis Joplin fans. Over the years I've noticed that if you've inspired a rock heavyweight, you're considered almost a rock figure in your own right (no matter what type of music you play). Look at Ravi Shankar, he inspired a Beatle to pick up the sitar and now his name has become synonymous with rock n roll.

Jesus Christ.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Jesus Christ.
    The ultimate rock star.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Jesus Christ.
    The ultimate rock star.

I'd argue that he was JPUSA-style Loner Folk. This bootleg I've got of him sounds like Elliott Smith or Nick Drake. You know: the same sound.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I like Woody Guthrie as much as the next guy and even I had to wonder what he was doing in the "early influences" category. As best as I can tell, his rock & roll lineage stops with Bob Dylan. Maybe Springsteen, maybe his son Arlo, but I can't think of too much more. Maybe in folk, but not rock.

Why you got to forget Billy Bragg like that?

• That depends on if I was a fan.

How many fans of Billie Holiday "perceive" her as a Rock-N-Roll artist?

She lived pretty much a rock'n'roll life I would say.

Anyone who does drugs lives a R&R life?

What kind of bullshit umbrella statement is this?

So all those Jazz cats on heroin in the 50's are now Rock N Rollers?

Bobby DeBarge is a R&Roller?

DJ Screw is a Rock n Roller?

Anyone who does drugs lives a R&R life?

What kind of bullshit umbrella statement is this?

So all those Jazz cats on heroin in the 50's are now Rock N Rollers?

Bobby DeBarge is a R&Roller?

DJ Screw is a Rock n Roller?

What are you getting so uptight about son?!
    Have you got no sense of humor?
    Stop taking everything so seriously. All I said was Billie Holiday lived a pretty rough life unlike most jazz vocalists. So yeah, I would say she was pretty much rock'n'roll.

• unlike most jazz vocalists.... huh?