weekend finds!

Comments

• Ok, I ask because the Speed label finished at 109, but then there is a Symphony Sid comp that is 111. I've always wondered what the other two releases were. Phil Flowers must be one of them.

I think the Speed label went higher, no? I only recently realized that some of the gaps in their numbering catalog were filled by 45-only releases and not LPs. It's still not a huge catalog but it's bigger than I had previously thought.

Well I was thinking about LPs. The last studio LP was Milton Zapata at 107, then there's the comp I was talking about that is 111. I'm not familiar with their 45 run, do they include the catalouge numbers 108, 109, 110? What non-LP cuts are on 45?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

Ok, I ask because the Speed label finished at 109, but then there is a Symphony Sid comp that is 111. I've always wondered what the other two releases were. Phil Flowers must be one of them.

I think the Speed label went higher, no? I only recently realized that some of the gaps in their numbering catalog were filled by 45-only releases and not LPs. It's still not a huge catalog but it's bigger than I had previously thought.

Well I was thinking about LPs. The last studio LP was Milton Zapata at 107, then there's the comp I was talking about that is 111. I'm not familiar with their 45 run, do they include the catalouge numbers 108, 109, 110? What non-LP cuts are on 45?

Dave Cortez - "Happy Soul w/ a Hook" (Different than the Moon People LP version.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I hope this Phil Flowers LP is better than the record of his I found. It had that press photo as the cover and was just beyond awful. It had a listing on popsike, but beyond that seemed worthless.

I've got his Alpha and Omega LP... it's hot.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Does that Shirelles LP have "Sunday Dreaming"/"Brother Brother" on it? I had no idea the had funky 70s stuff until I found that 45!
    Love that Rosco Robinson track. Reminds me I need to get a clean copy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Does that Shirelles LP have "Sunday Dreaming"/"Brother Brother" on it?

No, neither of those tracks are on there. Does have their cool version of
    the Guess Who's "No Sugar Tonight" though.

Love that Rosco Robinson track. Reminds me I need to get a clean copy.

me too

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    You cop that Utopia from Chris' wall?

Yes.

I ride.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Dave Cortez - "Happy Soul w/ a Hook" (Different than the Moon People LP version.

That's one of 'em and there's that Frankie Nieves' "True Love" 7" as well. There's one more but the artist's name eludes me...I thought it was Milton Zapata (who did have a 7" but it was LP cuts). It was someone else who did NOT have an LP with Speed, just a 45.

BTW, I've never really liked Cortez' cover that much - I much prefer the Latin Blues Band's "I'll Be A Happy Man." Can I get an amen or am I rolling solo here?

I like the Latin Blues Band version better as a song,
    but I'm pretty sure the Cortez track makes the most of
    the breaks, no? I'm pretty sure the breakdown comes in
    more often in that version.

I like the Latin Blues Band version better as a song,
    but I'm pretty sure the Cortez track makes the most of
    the breaks, no? I'm pretty sure the breakdown comes in
    more often in that version.

Def more breaks in the Cortez version. Also, the break is longer in the Moon People LP version of Happy Soul.

Out of the four versions, I like "Hippy Skippy Moon Strut". Wish it wasn't pressed on styrene, tho!! (maybe thats why I covet it so)

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I hope this Phil Flowers LP is better than the record of his I found. It had that press photo as the cover and was just beyond awful. It had a listing on popsike, but beyond that seemed worthless.

Dude that 12" is really in demand by disco heads, worth about 2-3 bills, i found one recently and traded it.

peace,xavier

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I found these* out in teh feild:
    BR>BR>BR>
    BR>BR>
    BR>BR>
    BR>BR>
    BR>BR>
    BR>BR>
    BR>BR>
    BR>BR>
    BR>BR>

*not pictured: mucho mas Tejano bonerz.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    VG++ OG!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Nice Oliver, I almost scooped that Meditation Blue off the wall before I left...really cool record...and the Pure Essence is fire.

Went out twice this weekend to explore my local records stores here in Ipanema/Copacabana...walked out with some nice stuff for the equivalent of $70 US:

O Terco - Criaturas da Noite
    Ivan Lins - Agora (doubles)
    Gal Costa - India
    Super Erotica (the green one with red letters)
    Os Deteveis (breaks all over...exploito tv themes, must have been released elsewhere too under a different name)
    Gilberto Gil - Refavela
    Eduardo Araujo - S/T (sounds like Toni Tornado's 1st album)
    Gal Costa - Cantar
    Banda Veneno Vol. 3 - (wrong cover though. This is the good one with the sick cover of "Long Train Running" that goes straight into Soul Makossa)
    Ze Rodrix - Quando Ser?? (decent)
    Zoco Motias - Vol. 1 (w/the Black Banda Rio track)
    Samba Rock Raridades Vol. 2 (80s comp w/Miguel de Deus and Ela Partiu by Tim Maia which is non-LP)
    Willie Hutch - The Mack (Brasil Tapecar press)

I found these* out in teh feild:
    BR>BR>BR>

BR>BR>

Gwauw! Never seen a vinyl press of that 45!

Went out twice this weekend to explore my local records stores here in Ipanema/Copacabana...walked out with some nice stuff for the equivalent of $70 US:

O Terco - Criaturas da Noite
    Ivan Lins - Agora (doubles)
    Gal Costa - India
    Super Erotica (the green one with red letters)
    Os Deteveis (breaks all over...exploito tv themes, must have been released elsewhere too under a different name)
    Gilberto Gil - Refavela
    Eduardo Araujo - S/T (sounds like Toni Tornado's 1st album)
    Gal Costa - Cantar
    Banda Veneno Vol. 3 - (wrong cover though. This is the good one with the sick cover of "Long Train Running" that goes straight into Soul Makossa)
    Ze Rodrix - Quando Ser?? (decent)
    Zoco Motias - Vol. 1 (w/the Black Banda Rio track)
    Samba Rock Raridades Vol. 2 (80s comp w/Miguel de Deus and Ela Partiu by Tim Maia which is non-LP)
    Willie Hutch - The Mack (Brasil Tapecar press)

This an omen of great things to come!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

BR>BR>

Gwauw! Never seen a vinyl any press of that 45!

It's been a long time comin'. Hardest to find cotdamn $40 record there ever was.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Word - it shows up on eBay frequently enough but usually commands $40 and up.

I fusk with the 12" remix. So very very necessary.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    VG++ OG!

Damn that Lee Morgan does some serious 4 figure damage when it's in good shape, that
    is a fuskin' come up!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    VG++ OG!

keep it. i did....

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    recents:

oh dear.

i pulled the "copped" copy of Utopia from a stack at a dealer's table in Austin and had some guy pop up and tell me that those were his records... sure no problem. i hung around and browsed for 10 minutes waiting while the guy kept the records tucked under his arm.

an hour later i bumped into Chris and he showed me the same copy of Utopia which he'd just purchased.

apparently dude didn't buy the record after all but put it back!!!

oh well...
    after tracking down half the band last year, having the drummer call the furniture store connected with the label and exec producer (long deceased), and also having a friend pretty well known in the cuban music scene in the 70's in Miami ask around... i've still yet to find a personal copy... kinda sucks. maybe this time down there it'll appear.

re: Sam, Bob, and the Soulmen - great record... Sam Mosely and Robert Johnson... Johnson unfortunately has passed away but Mosley is still playing... they recorded a number of albums for Malaco in the 80's under the named Mosley and Johnson and also were in the group Mojoba out of MS... had the pleasure of meeting Sam for dinner at a Waffle House Mississippi about two years ago- very nice guy and had a great time before continuing on my way another 4 hours to Little Rock....

recents:

Audio, please.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    recents:

Audio, please.
    SOI's link is still good: http://www.divshare.com/download/2803182-af2

• You will dig this album. More creative and interesting than most of the miami rock of that time period IMHO. Solid album. Maybe one slow ballad I don't care for.

And there goes my Divshare account, up in flames

• I found these* out in teh feild:
    BR>BR>BR>

BR>BR>

Gwauw! Never seen a vinyl press of that 45!

Me neither. Let me know if you want to sell it.

• Domestic finds from the past few weeks.

Two insanely good early Polish Jazz 10"'s

Both are good 70's French jazz. Ivan Jullien makes great big band arrangements.

Alice is a long time favourite. Finally got around to copping the vinyl. Happy is a Finnish jazz LP that I had never even seen before.

First one is from Uganda with two good rhumba tracks on it. Ray Stephen Oche gave me an ear-orgasm right at the moment the seller put the needle on the first track.

Stereo to mono 45 transfer of an alltime soul killer. Fresh out the Timmion acetate plant.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Some recent additions:

I think Guzzo is up on that Ernie Story LP, no?

Yes, that was part of the bounty I traded to Chris, $200 LP whiteboy soul private press thing.

Personally I wasn't feeling it so much but I know dudes in Japan are

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/18352.jpg>

fourth copy i've found, but this one is a white label MONO promo copy?? didnt think they were still doing mono this late in the game.

my half price books has a bunch of potential heaters priced at $20 each. i think its time to take the portable in. tons of shit ive NEVER heard of on major labels (the type of shit i LOVE)

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    damn theres so much fire in this thread! Ako, cant see your pic(s). (and i agree - major label obscurities sure do get the blood moving!)

heres my last thursday night additions... (delayed due to setting up the biggest acquisition of all, the new computer)