weekend finds!

Comments

• Inauguration weekend finds -

Top left is a great Spanish prog LP by Daniel Vega called "La Noche que Precede a la Batalla." Top right is a Portuguese prog record which has a great cover of Gilberto Gil's "Volkswagen Blue."

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

RIP Prince Lasha, the Can LP is the best local dig of '09 for me... it's fanstastic.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

• Been pretty light lately.

These is from the last 5 days -- the Bertha Tillman is an exception. I've apparently had it for some time, but forgot about it / lost it -- I just found it last night in my desk drawer.

• I finally got a digital camera and now I can start posting in the finds threads!

Righto, this weekend's finds all from one dude's cleaning sale:

That one on the bottom right is in honor of noob moderhateur Gary:

Also a gang of other shit:

12"s:
    Royalcash - Radio Activity - Sutra
    Lime - Baby We're Gonna Love Tonight - Prism
    Vaughan Mason and Crew - Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll - Brunswick

45s:
    Rufus Thomas ??? The Breakdown Pt. 1/Pt. 2 ??? Stax
    Eldridge Holmes ??? Until The End/Without A Word - Sansu
    Larry Hamilton ??? Keep The News To Yourself/Gossip ??? Pelican
    Ripple ??? I Don???t Know What It Is/Dance Baby Dance ??? GRC
    Marva Whitney ??? Get Out Of My Life/Things Got To Get Better ??? People
    Windy City ??? Spank - Chi-Sound
    Freddie Scott ??? He Ain???t Give You None/Run Joe ??? Shout
    Robert Parker ??? Foxy Mama/Everybody???s Hip-Huggin ??? NOLA
    Jermaine Jackson ??? Let???s Be Young Tonight/Bass Odyssey ??? Motown
    Cliff Nobles ??? Judge Baby, I???m Back/Horse Fever ??? Phil-LA of Soul
    Lonnie Youngblood ??? African Twist ??? Loma
    Joyce Faison ??? Thanks To The Fool/Love Merry Go Round - Erect
    Dunn & Bruce Street ??? I Owe It To Me/Let Me Learn - Devaki
    The Simon Kenyatta Band ??? Soul Makossa/Little Bit of Fiddle - Avco
    Lyn Collins ??? Think (About It)/Ain???t No Sunshine ??? People
    Village Soul Choir ??? The Cat Walk/The Country Walk - Abbott
    Black Blood ??? That???s Henry, Pts. 1 & 2 ??? Black Blood
    Billy Easton ??? Who???s That Fool/Why Can???t This Time ??? Dispo
    Ann Sexton ??? Have A Little Mercy/It???s All Over But The Shouting - Seventy Seven
    Fatback - The Girl Is Fine (So Fine)/Dance Version - Spring
    Allen Toussaint - I've Got That Feelin Now/Hands Christianderson - Bell
    Candi Staton - Sure As Sin/In The Ghetto - Fame
    The Brothers Johnson - Ain't We Funkin Now/Dancin & Prancin - A&M
    Blood Sweat & Tears - Lucretia McEvil/And When I Die - Columbia
    James Rivers - Birdbrain/Oh Happy Day - Pan *2 copies
    Chic - Everybody Dance - Atlantic
    K.I.D. - Don't Stop/Do It Again - SAM
    Bo Kirkland & Ruth Davis - We Got The Recipe/Easy Loving - Claridge
    Con Funk Shun - Too Tight/Play Widit - Mercury
    Sylvers - Through The Love In My Heart/Cry Of A Dreamer - MGM
    The Harrison Gospel Singers w/ Rev. Squeaky Morgan - Jesus Will Fix It/A Charge To Keep - HSE
    Nathaniel Mayer - Village Of Love/I Want A Woman - Fortune
    Evie Sands - Take Me For A Little While/Run Home To Your Mama - Blue Cat
    Syl Johnson - Come Sock It To Me/Try Me - Twilight
    Jackie Moore - If/Sweet Charlie Babe - Atlantic
    Darrow Fletcher - My Judgement Day/That Certain Little Something - Groovy
    Chuck Johnson - Elephant Fair/For The Love Of Heaven - Invicta
    Jon Foose w/Oliver Morgan & The Royal Knights - Tuesday Mornin/Gator Get Down - Cypress Sounds

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    pulled these two oldschool joints from the $bins, havent seen them before not sure if they're raer or command any sort of value....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    [/img]

[/img]

LOL

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

That Miller Anderson is awesome, NM copy for super-cheap, too.

Some nutty private press stuff here, Sphinx is a brother-sister or husband-wife
    duo playing things like Ornette Coleman songs on piano and acoustic guitar. Pretty
    out there local madness. Cutts Road is also local but is more mellow, really nice
    CSN-type acoustic folk, not every song a winner but a few killers, like this one:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's the catalouge number for Phil Flowers? Any chance of getting some sounds samples? Looks dope, I'm jealous!

no catalogue number. It just says "for promotional use only". Traded handsomely with Cool Chris at the Groove Merchant for this.

I'd love to post sound unfortunately I've moved recently and I haven't been able to set up digital recording in the new place yet, but trust me I want to share this with the world and will once I'm able to.

Aw F*ck. If I knew Chris was going to sell that shit, I would have copped it off him!

SONNED!

Cuban jam session series is fresh.

Never understood the craze for Manteca. It's got to be the worst recorded session ever. Maybe that's why - you can't even hear the piano. Just bass & drums. It makes Cuban Roots sound high-fi.

Dude, your answer is right there: "bass and drums." It's like a Latin album recorded for the crowd.

Sicc

An interesting album - I didn't even know about it until I saw a VG--- copy at Big City last summer. It's definitely not as well known as Harlow's other boogaloo-era albums and it's considerably superior to "Me and My Monkey" though "Exigente" is still #1, if only for "Freakoff." In any case, I've since picked up two copies of it and realized that Fania actually reissued it in 1972 (same cover and what not) but it originally came out in '68 (which makes sense, given the style). Haven't figured out what compelled Fania to reissue it in 1972 or at least, to mention that they did. Clearly, for cloud label Fanias of stuff that was originally gold label, those were second pressings or later but the cloud labels don't usually record the date of re-release, just of original release.

Do I have that right?

In any case, I really really dig this album - "Horsin Up" is great (not the least of which is the Joe Bataan cameo on there which was random) but there's some solid rumbas and guaguncos too, plus solid Latin soul covers of stuff like "Grazin in the Grass" and a few others.

I'll probably be letting my second pressing copy go if anyone needs it.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

Damn. I know that Fred Neil isn't that rare, but it's been alluding me for a while now. I'm digging the Cutts Road song.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I wanna know what motivated SOI to purchase a Del Shannon record. Slept on 50s pretty boy heat?

• I wanna know what motivated SOI to purchase a Del Shannon record. Slept on 50s pretty boy heat?

Del Shannon had some mid-60s heat. Not well known but very cool.

b/w

He was hardly a 50s "pretty boy" , real heads and all that....

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

Love the cover on the Richard Hayman. Originally thought it was Dick Hyman. The Druids of Stonehenge was picked up earlier in the week. It's rough, but it plays, and I'm stoked on it. Bataan was a SD Record show find. Picked up that Gene Vincent at a Double-Wide in a trailer park.

I gotta start reading up on how to work this thing.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I wanna know what motivated SOI to purchase a Del Shannon record. Slept on 50s pretty boy heat?

b/w

I wonder. I wah wah wah wah wonder.

WHy. A why why why why whyyyy reeeeall heaaaasaaads knowwwwwww.

• Found a real nice "random" hip-hop 12" this weekend by MC Steel and Doc Rock - AIDS Attack, K-Bomb/You're Still Sleeping/A Beat for Your Box (CB). Really good BDP sounding jam from 1989. Not in the Freddy Fresh book. No sound clips yet, sorry. Anyone know this one?

Some recent additions:

I think Guzzo is up on that Ernie Story LP, no?

The Los Blanco LP is the jam - really dope cumbia, guaguanco and descarga joints. I have another LP by that Colombian group too which is kick ass. Need to study up on their catalog.

The Los Van Van/Juan Formel LP was something I had been trying to lock down for a minute. So weird how the price on it fluctuates wildly. It's hard to make out, but the LP on the bottom right is a Hermes Nino and His Colombian Boys album that is sick mix of cumbia with boogaloo/shing-a-ling, including a cover of "Deeper Shade of Soul". Alas, my copy came sans cover; if anyone knows what the cover looks like, holler.

Recent 45s:

Dope, dope, dope.

You know the deal.

A pretty entertaining gospel soul twist on the The Staple Singers' "I'll Take you There."

Underrated.

Flip is a cover of the Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud to Beg." Panama represent!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    recents:

Nate: Nice!

I've seen that Sam and Bob LP before - what's the deal with the music?

Pretty sick finds, Nate!

What's Utopia like?

Nate: Nice!

I've seen that Sam and Bob LP before - what's the deal with the music?

Deeper than usual southern-fried soul/funk with a some blues mixed in. Decent LP for sure.

Pretty sick finds, Nate!

What's Utopia like?

Latin Funk. Great listen all the way through.

These are not really finds per se but recent aquisitions.

b/w

yeah, I mean, I'm actually a huge fan of his early hits, too, like "Runaway"
    and "Stranger In Town" ... this is actually the weakest of his mid-60's albums
    I've bought, mainly because of some lame covers. "This is My Bag" is a pretty
    good LP, and of course, his "psych" album, "The Further Adventures of Charles
    Westover" is classic, and was shared by yours truly in RH a while back.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Pretty sick finds, Nate!

What's Utopia like?

Creepy.

b/w

shows how much I actually listen to MP3s, i.e. almost never.

You cop that Utopia from Chris' wall?

You cop that Utopia from Chris' wall?

Yes.

• not all this week, but recent

and this one test press of an unreleased album on the speed label

I hope this is better than the record of his I found. It had that press photo as the cover and was just beyond awful. It had a listing on popsike, but beyond that seemed worthless.

Ok, I ask because the Speed label finished at 109, but then there is a Symphony Sid comp that is 111. I've always wondered what the other two releases were. Phil Flowers must be one of them.

I think the Speed label went higher, no? I only recently realized that some of the gaps in their numbering catalog were filled by 45-only releases and not LPs. It's still not a huge catalog but it's bigger than I had previously thought.