Soup Strut (Food-R)

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
What soups/stews have you all been eating to keep yourselves warm this winter?I just made an experimental bowl of carrot ginger soup[/b], which I am currently enjoying. I can't believe I made something palatable![color:purple]*veggie or chicken stock or bouillon cube*minced onion*carrots*potato*ginger (powder or mashed)*cream (or butter and milk)*salt*paprika (necessary kick of spice)*dash of curry powder[/color]Get some stock and some chopped onion going on the stovetop. Peel/chop carrot, put in microwave safe dish with a chunk of butter + dash of salt/ginger. Microwave until mushy (you can do it stovetop, but microwaving is easy). Mash up the soft carrots with utensil and add to stock. Let simmer and stir often. Add listed spices to soup mixture.Microwave a potato. Take potato out of microwave and mash apart with utensil. Add to soup to add creaminess and carbs. Add cream or butter/milk. Stir. Spices to taste.I left my soup kind of chunky and not super smooth.

Comments

• I'm not a big fan of soup but I make some every now and then. The last one I made was a fish soup (fish is my favourite food!) in a tomato broth. I put in a bunch of stuff like cod, shrimp, scallops, and all that good stuff along with basil, onions, & kale. I also made a lentil soup cause I heard that it's good luck for the new year. I put in the usual stuff like onion and carrots and also added some cauliflower and curry powder & pepper.

I live 20 seconds from a pho place so I stop by there the rare time I'm in the mood for soup

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I'm too scared to use fish because I'll fusk it up.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I made navy bean soup this past week. It was tasty!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My wife's been making a chicken noodle soup using a Cook's Illustrated recipe.

I>It is incredible/I>. Super-simple, ingredient-wise though the prep/cooking time can take upwards 1-1.5 hours

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    PHO FOR DAYZ, PHO GA PREASE

MANHATTER CLAM CHOWDER IN BETWEEN

DEALT

I'm too scared to use fish because I'll fusk it up.

CATFISH GUMBO IS ONE OF THE MOST SATISFYING THINGS TO MAKE, EVAR
    OKRA FOR DAYZ
    HUGE POT FEEDS 8

DO IT

• I got two recipes down to the point of not fusking with a recipe at this point...

Tortilla Soup (fry my own tortillas ... wear shitty clothes, because you smell like that shit for days)

and

Minestrone (ESSENTIAL. Feeds folks for days.)

wear shitty clothes, because you smell like that shit for days)

REAL TALK
    close the bedroom door too and open all windows and run all fans....

• wear shitty clothes, because you smell like that shit for days)

REAL TALK

Yes, especially that bedroom door part.

wear shitty clothes, because you smell like that shit for days)

REAL TALK

sayin
    please to not mess up the bedroom game is what the ladies be sayin

sayin

• wear shitty clothes, because you smell like that shit for days)

REAL TALK

sayin
    please to not mess up the bedroom game is what the ladies be sayin

sayin

"Dude, your pillow smells like a taco truck."

"Dude, your pillow smells like a taco truck."

DUDE. SAYIN.

• What soups/stews have you all been eating to keep yourselves warm this winter?

I just made an experimental bowl of carrot ginger soup[/b], which I am currently enjoying. I can't believe I made something palatable!

[color:purple]*veggie or chicken stock or bouillon cube
    *minced onion
    *carrots
    *potato
    *ginger (powder or mashed)
    *cream (or butter and milk)
    *salt
    *paprika (necessary kick of spice)
    *dash of curry powder[/color]

Get some stock and some chopped onion going on the stovetop.

Peel/chop carrot, put in microwave safe dish with a chunk of butter + dash of salt/ginger. Microwave until mushy (you can do it stovetop, but microwaving is easy). Mash up the soft carrots with utensil and add to stock. Let simmer and stir often.

Add listed spices to soup mixture.

Microwave a potato. Take potato out of microwave and mash apart with utensil. Add to soup to add creaminess and carbs.

Add cream or butter/milk. Stir. Spices to taste.

I left my soup kind of chunky and not super smooth.

I LOVE ME SOME CARROT GINGER SOUP, AND SOUP PERIOD. I AM A SOUP MANIAC.
    I always blend my soups like potato leek or carrot ginger (soups that are generally smoove) in the blender (one day I will get a food processor!).

Making a bomb-azz stock is KEY!! (...AND...GENERALLY TAKES HOURS)
    Also, since I live in The Yay, naturally, I have hippie tendencies. Bragg's amino acids always finds its way into mine soup.

BAY LEAF IS MAGIC!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I have to feed my tortilla soup from Maudie's fix at least once a week for lunch.

And never do 3 days go by without some seafood gumbo from various sources.

• Water Boiled! The original soup!!! Can't go wrong with the Original!!!

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Chicken soup w/ roots, lemon Juice and cilantro.
    Oxtail soup for days
    Sancocho columbian style
    white Bean soup italian style, made with ham grease. Awesome, this going to be dinner today.

• Oxtail soup for days

mmmmmmm.. goat soup is also delicious tho I tend to F*ck it up

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    I have to feed my tortilla soup from Maudie's fix at least once a week for lunch.

i love that place

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I LOVE soup! All year round! And I like it when I can see everything that is in it as opposed to puree-ing it all together.

I posted this pepper soup recipe recently and it works if you replace the potatoes and pasta shells with roasted breadfruit and pigeon peas.

Beforehand have ready:

washed and chopped greens ??? kale or rapini are my faves
    and
    cubed potatoes
    small shell pasta
    I usually partially cook these and then add them to the soup, I don???t like cooking them in the soup because of all the starch they give off. Another way to reduce the starch is to rinse the raw potatoes after you have cut them up.

In a soup pot, using olive or veg oil, cook thickish pieces of ginger (the idea is that they soften but not overcook and lose their taste/bite and properties), onion and as much scotchbonnet pepper you think you can handle ??? I usually drop in two or three of them. Make sure you cover the pot and turn on the fan, the cooking peppers will make your eyes water and your throat firey. Cook til onions are translucent. Then add one or two chopped ripe tomatoes, tumeric, cumin and pimento. Mix and cover. Mix now and then until tomatoes are mushy. Add greens, cooked potatoes and pasta and mix. Add veg stock. Mix and let it simmer ??? NOT BOIL ??? for about 15 minutes. Boiling will sap the nutrients out. If you don???t mind the bitterness and chewy-ness, you can even throw in the greens at the very end. Some raw ginger for good measure, too.

A splash of lemon juice and a box of kleenex cause you will be blowing your nose and sweating out that cold!

I enjoy whitebean/greens soup and lentil soup, too. There's a great soup that my Mom makes but it takes HOURS of prep (cleaning five different types of herbs and greens - AK!) and I'm just not ready yet.