Old "digging" ethics you used to follow

Comments

• Next up: Yo I got that record like three years ago at the flea for $1, you got it on ebay for $100. Give up son, your whole style is chump!

I like the "Got It" dudes, who can be seen wandering around high-end record stores and think that other customers are interested in the fact that they have a (rinked) copy at home of one or more wall pieces.

"I got it all, the records on my want list are so rare I don't think anyones ever see them, I heard them at my boy's crib though, and no, you've never heard of them. I come to the shops just to see how my stock is holding. I got a record portfolio kid."

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Let's do this

1). never rock/deejay/or sample re-issues
    2). never sample off of a drum crazy break record or another rap records' drums
    3). Get all the records that where used on sample/break mix.

come on dudes, let your 1998/early 2000's show

boy, YP is sure going to be let down when he sees the result of this thread.

I changed my mind. Young Phonics is going to be STOKED!

• Who keeps baby wipes in the glove compartment?

in the trunk!!!!!!!! best $.99 investment you can make.

now does this make me a digger or a shopper?

I TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!>!

Serious business nahmeen?! I got a personalized dust mask, custom made in Japan.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Next up: Yo I got that record like three years ago at the flea for $1, you got it on ebay for $100. Give up son, your whole style is chump!

I like the "Got It" dudes, who can be seen wandering around high-end record stores and think that other customers are interested in the fact that they have a (rinked) copy at home of one or more wall pieces.

"I got it all, the records on my want list are so rare I don't think anyones ever see them, I heard them at my boy's crib though, and no, you've never heard of them. I come to the shops just to see how my stock is holding. I got a record portfolio kid."

Beef over allegedly stolen wantlists = the real '98 flavor!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I sense a MASSIVE BAN and E-SUICIDE following

• Nah. He's champagne baby.

FORGET YOUR FACE? I SWEAR I WILL!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Nah. He's champagne baby.

FORGET YOUR FACE? I SWEAR I WILL!

YES!

Same moark, same bullet anywhere he chill...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm honestly surprised and a little let down that Noz hasn't shown up with his "kill yourself" "noose" steelo, come on Noz, apparently the NYC rapps contingent is counting on you to come through for them....

• Noz isn't about NYC rapps. He's about teh blog rapps. Wale and shit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

::served::

steelo

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i'm sure missy could tell us about blapping them.

• Ha!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    by the way. That Chris goes rock guy is outta control.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    diggin in 2009 is checking that "Chris goes rock" blog and downloading whatever 24-bit remastered japanese mini-LP replica CD he posts.

That's more like a seagull swooping down and stealing some fish from the fisherman before he can get it to the Fish Market.

more like the fisherman offering fish to the seagulls because he's a cool fisherman who collects mini-LP replica CDs from Japan.

DIGGING IS MYLATENCY, MYLATENCY IS DIGGING
    Does he have a hot personal collection, though? Money is nothing until you spend it on something that I care about...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    You'd better hope I don't cause advertising Mobile Fidelity Supertramp lp's will cost extra.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I read through this thread & don't understand why Mark got so upset???

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    wtf is going on here?

There aren't many diggers on this site. Some of us are rich, some of us don't have much. But none of these songs are the issue in a thread that questions digging, ethics, and "digging ethics".

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    by the way. That Chris goes rock guy is outta control.

Thanks to Chris, I too now enjoy the sounds of The Pretty Things 'SF Sorrow'.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    YALL ARE HELLA LIKE THE SOULS OF MISCHIEF CREW. FIESTINESS FROM '98 TO INIFINITY. MOST OF YALL WOULD FIND MORE SATISFACTION SUCKING ON A PICKLE, DRINKING SOME OJ, AND RUNNING AROUND THE BLOCK OR SOMETHING. DO THAT, AND THEN YOU CAN TALK TO ME ABOUT DIGGING. PLEASE. I DIG.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    2004 - buying out thrift stores
    2008 - too broke to buy records

this thread - I can't believe I read the whole thing.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

2004 -
    2005 -
    2006 -
    2007 - Faux
    2008 - Yuichi
    2009 - Mylatency

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    2009 - Recession, no job, must sell records

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I feel like I ate some mushrooms when I peruse this thread.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here were/are the rules:

mid to late 1980's: Buy records like mad, the more the merrier.

1993: You can't loop those slut breaks (UBB, SDBs, DDs, etc.) anymore, they're tired. Be pickier with the purchases, money is tight (grad school-related).

1998: Only buy records that you have to have, or replacing bad (or lost copies).

2003: Buy fewer records because you have way too many (wifey's words). Make sure to cop records when I'm away on conferences to dig on some local, private-press ish/international joints. Look for replacement copies too.

2008: Shop for LPs when the notion hits me. Look for LPs that intrigue or jump out at me.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I feel like I ate some mushrooms when I peruse this thread.

this thread gave me a headache, and I can't even find the quote I wanted about 6 pages ago, but it went something like this: I dig cuz it makes me happy.

And when it comes to ethics... I got them for happy diggers, but when you go aggro on me, F*ck-off, you turn around your stacks jacked.

When I start digging a store, it's a Zen moment for me, I calm down more then at any other time... like Skell said you gotta let the angst go. When Rock used the fishing analogy it was ON the money. You don't go out fishing and expect to land a 10 pound laker every time... you can find that fucker on ice at the market. Diggings all about the Means, the Ends can be got other ways.

You go for the experience..... and these days I feel like I'm digging in a void, often I'm the only one in a store. I live inna a city of 1 million and I can count the diggers on one hand, maybe two ...that's fucked up. Over the last five years there have been several collections I've gone through (DJ friends) cuz they are flipping over to MP3. Many many have given wax up completely, and I don't see them in the stores...

I guess for me diggings a form of therapy, and therapy's a tough thing to give up.

• Not really a question of ethics, but my attitude towards finding records has drastically changed in the last couple of years.

If I find it in the field then I was meant to have it. It's more exciting that way and somehow I seem to value and enjoy those records much more.

Plus I've been purging my records hard. Just ask Birdman, he's got 22 crates of my "go away, please!" records in his garage. God, I need to get rid of those.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a record in a store.. (sorry Ne*l!)

However I must say that it's gotten tougher out there. I used to absolutely kill it at the thrifts but they don't seem to get records in too much any more. Which probably means that a much more hardcore digger than me has worked out some sort of deal with them and is getting to them first or something like that.

Nowadays I think you can't just go digging to find the goods. You gotta go bushwhacking.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This thread is a trip.

And I love how G*ry NEVER gets mad and always stays funny. Why do fools even bother talking shit to him? You'll never win. EVER.