Old "digging" ethics you used to follow

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i like this thread

as for me, BUY BUY BUY was my principle back when i started digging, this was 1998-99

for real though, i can't believe I used to pay HK$150-200 for CTIs out here in HK! I didn't know shit I just knew I saw that label before at a friend's house in Australia, and its got the Biz Markie sample on it so i thought I should buy up everything with that logo on it! dumb shit like that...

But now that i look back, I don't regret any of it, going thru that allows me to be the only one here still cleaning up mad shit in this town.

DJ Sheep was right, its gold mine out here for me ;]

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    1998 : Buy It Now

2009 : Want It Now

Absolutely.... Sometimes I wish I still had someone like Axelrod to discover.

For a while my biggest rule was: Listen to EVERY soul/funk/jazz record from 70-75. And my other big rule was: chase the producers.

• the only one here still cleaning up mad shit

location!

i never really had 'ethics' but back then i'd never spend more than ~$10, never buy anything after ~1975, and i used to not mind buying reissues.

• dont buy from guys who think your a producer

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    dont buy from guys who think your a producer

if im buying from a person who asks if im a collector or a DJ, I always respond "no" for fear that they might jack up the price on me

• "are you a collector, a producer, or a DJ?"

"no... I just want to lacquer this rare, obscure soul 45 and mount it on my fridge."

"ah, got it! in that case, $2."

• Following the "don't buy anything past 1974" rule was about the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life. Luckily that phase didn't last long.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Following the "don't buy anything past 1974" rule was about the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life. Luckily that phase didn't last long.

Amen.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i only use the "nothing past 1975" rule for soul and funk, anyway...im just not much of a disco/"modern" fan, sorry! with other kinds of music, i dont have as much of a time barrier

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I don't see any real "digging ethics" being discussed in this thread.

In fact most of the posts I see in this thread are from a bunch of whiny dudes who don't / never dug deep once, posted in the weekend finds thread, proved they dug or found squat, and never once in their lives bought heavy records or collections. They're just sitting around pointing out the supposed shift in their musical tastes between 1990s and 2009 while they get paid at their job to dick around on Soulstrut.

Real 2009 digging ethics? In my opinion, it's no holds barred, anything goes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ethics is bullshit

i cop whatever

• before I started working for BAO Records, I didn't even know what digging was. But now I know all about buying heavy records and collections, digging deep, and finding squat!

Indeed, but I'm not speaking about you Johnny, Breakself, Jesse, etc. It's pretty evident who has actually dug and who hasn't in this thread, and who is speaking on it like they're some fuking authority on "digging ethics"

ethics is bullshit

i cop whatever

amen

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

In fact most of the posts I see in this thread are from a bunch of whiny dudes who don't / never dug deep once, posted in the weekend finds thread, proved they dug or found squat, and never once in their lives bought heavy records or collections. They're just sitting around pointing out the supposed shift in their musical tastes between 1990s and 2008 while they get paid at their job to dick around on Soulstrut.

Real 2008 digging ethics? In my opinion, it's no holds barred, anything goes.

oh shit moark has tooketh it there!
    true there is little discussion of ethics here.

I just call it like I see it, and I know who actually digs in this town.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

There is one undisputable digging ethic, new or old school.

What goes around comes around.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    here's some ethics: treat 'em right like chubb rock said. especially the nice civilians because you should. and if it's an old school dealer/hoarder it helps to pay well because they will remember you and call you first when some new shit falls into their lap.

the exception to above rule is if they pull a price guide book out on you. then it's game on like karpov vs. kasparov.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

In fact most of the posts I see in this thread are from a bunch of whiny dudes who don't / never dug deep once, posted in the weekend finds thread, proved they dug or found squat, and never once in their lives bought heavy records or collections. They're just sitting around pointing out the supposed shift in their musical tastes between 1990s and 2009 while they get paid at their job to dick around on Soulstrut.

Hilarious.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Oh our highest majesty, please speak upon to those who do not upon the chalice of digging.

Yeah maybe just 1 dude. There wasn't any "ethics" being discussed tho.

Oh our highest majesty, please speak upon to those who do not upon the chalice of digging.

dude

Hilarious.

Yeah I go to waxi and have my lulz too, the interwebs is great for that Crinky. You and Ed should really start charging for the sale/classifieds tho.

• Indeed, but I'm not speaking about you Johnny, Breakself, etc. It's pretty evident who has actually dug and who hasn't in this thread, and who is speaking on it like they're some fuking authority on "digging ethics"

I know you weren't talking about me, but the post was a little over the top. All of us come from somewhere. Everyone was a little dude at some point, often not that long ago. Running an ad and paying workers isn't like some new shit or hardcore digging technique. (Neither is owning a record shop and paying a solid 50% of going boutique rate or having collections walk in the door).

If I really need something sleuthed out, I am calling up cats that are on a level far beyond you, me, and most others for that matter. Buying record collections is cool and all but that is a relatively easy, mechanical process that has little to do with "digging".

There's nothing wrong with this thread. "Digging" was in quotes in the subject header. It's dudes just having a chuckle at their own closed-mindedness from days past. No need to go get on a high horse because you're running an ebay hustle in a sleepy burg with no real competition. Just saying.

Thanks, I agree wholeheartedly.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    We were discussing this over lunch and I still cannot bring myself to sample drums off of a rap record. And I hope I never will. I have looped a beat off a break record though...

• Yeah I can't do that either. I enjoy the F*ck out of "Operation: Doomsday" though. "Got these drums off of 'Truly Yours', G-Rap."

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Hilarious.

Yeah I go to waxi and have my lulz too, the interwebs is great for that Crinky. You and Ed should really start charging for the sale/classifieds tho.

You'd better hope I don't cause advertising Mobile Fidelity Supertramp lp's will cost extra.

VOMIT TAX

Hilarious.

You'd better hope I don't cause advertising Mobile Fidelity Supertramp lp's will cost extra.

VOMIT TAX

Cool, do it. I'd love to support waxi!

• I don't see any real "digging ethics" being discussed in this thread.