Cypress Hill (DISCUSS)

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Rap authorities: Please to give your nuanced opinion on Cypress Hill and where they dwell in the rap spectrum.

Comments

• 1st 2 records are classique.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Loco En El Coco

• Cypress Hill? Wasn't that what white suburbanites listened to at the mall like 10 years ago?

Or wasn't that some LA hip hop group that released one trendy ass album like 15 years ago?

Please clear this up.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    First album is fu[/b]ckin' phenomenal. Still in heavy rotation, still very inspirational as far as production goes. Second album...not quite as good, but still with plenty of good shit. Muggs definitely stripped his sound down a lot. Third album was mostly with a few good moments. Since then?

The rest are ehh, but those first two are still in heavyro.

• everytime I hear "rap superstar" i'm like "damn....this is kinda hot"

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Got me into hip-hop.

(white suburban kid related)

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    absolutely LOVED dj muggs production with the first few soul assasins projects (first couple of house of pains, cypress and funkdoobiests)

i recall hearing the the original cypress hill was to consists of funkdoobiest, but then muggs wanted to market funkdoobiest as more of the clown's of the crew (which doobiest strayed away from in '94).

i just think the original muggs sounds was so fresh, funky and catchy. i mean who else had a sound like that. people say all the cypress songs sounded the same (ie a high pitch squeal sort of riff with similar bass lines) but i love that sound. i can still listen to those things today. people talk about 7A3, i dont feel it anywhere as much as the soul assasins stuff. oh and i also thought that second soul assasins compilation project was underated. sorry for turning it into a muggs posts. i hate b-reals rapping after black sunday, i couldnt stomach the way he changed his flow later. musically i loved how dark temples of boom was. haven't really listened to the albums after that.

brown suburban kid related

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My opinions are pretty similar to those already expressed, 1st 2 LPs were incredible while the rest were . Also, Muggs is/was one of my favorite producers, hands down .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

P.S. I also ride for the first two Funkdoobiest LPs too!!!

nothing sounded like that 1st lp...much of hip hop still doesnt, or hasnt.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    hot shit!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ruffhouse did a good job promotin them in NYC.

They did a couple of radio interviews before the album dropped while the first single was bubblin.

Props...big time.

That first album is essential Hip Hop.

REAL ESTATE.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I only have love/can only listen to the first album , all the others just sound so corny to me.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

Here's my shit right here:

"Real Estate"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I only have love/can only listen to the first album , all the others just sound so corny to me.

I dont own Black Sunday but this is my shiiiiat...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah that song is dope.

they kind of remind me of LL, all of the albums have at least 1 decent track but not consistent enough for me to buy, a few of my younger friends that got into them a little later love the newer stuff, and I really have tried to like it but just cant get past the how obvious it sounds. It may also have something to do with the fact that Black Sunday was the first album that I can remember that i was so bitterly disappointed with I genuinely felt ripped off, I listened to that first album so much and was naive enough in those days to expect bigger and better from the next album

Hey,

One of my favorite all-time singles:

"How I Could Just Kill a Man"

I'll love this song when I'm 80 years old, timeless hip-hop!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    1st record

In 9th grade biology class I traded cassettes with classmate *rturo *arcia. He gave me the first Cypress Hill and I gave him a Thrill Kill Kult maxi-single. Sorry bout dat, *rturo.

they kind of remind me of LL, all of the albums have at least 1 decent track but not consistent enough for me to buy

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There was a good stretch of time when at houseparties you'd better be playing The Chronic or Cypress Hill's 1st album or nothing else.

I miss those days...

they kind of remind me of LL, all of the albums have at least 1 decent track but not consistent enough for me to buy

maybe i was going a bit far wit the LL thing, at least up to around 2000 it was the case with LL

maybe i was going a bit far wit the LL thing, at least up to around 2000 it was the case with LL

agreed

• There was a good stretch of time when at houseparties you'd better be playing The Chronic or Cypress Hill's 1st album or nothing else.

I miss those days...

definately....

somehow,
    i went from BDP, De La, Maestro, Public Enemy to N.W.A. to
    whoooah,
    turned 14 and decided i'd listen to punk for a year, reject hip-hop cuz it wasn't in any skate videos for a minute,
    and then, 15
    check your head came out, sorta crossover
    and
    bam:
    cypress hill and house of pain, which got me right back into hip hop, with their blatant weedalize it message, and back into Dre with The Chronic....

there was this type of purple indica called 'time warp' i think that my friend was selling which literally; got me so f*cking high, playing mortal kombat and listening to the chronic, that was all I cared to do like it was my aspiration in life.

• freestyle fellowship found their way in there on heavy rotation like I was part of their religious organization or something......

coincidentally, real estate has been in my sets lately, as with Microwave it's so easy to loop the intro, mix in, cut it up and drop it.

• There was a good stretch of time when at houseparties you'd better be playing The Chronic or Cypress Hill's 1st album or nothing else.

I miss those days...

definately....

somehow,
    i went from BDP, De La, Maestro, Public Enemy to N.W.A. to
    whoooah,
    turned 14 and decided i'd listen to punk for a year, reject hip-hop cuz it wasn't in any skate videos for a minute,
    and then, 15
    check your head came out, sorta crossover
    and
    bam:
    cypress hill and house of pain, which got me right back into hip hop, with their blatant weedalize it message, and back into Dre with The Chronic....

there was this type of purple indica called 'time warp' i think that my friend was selling which literally; got me so f*cking high, playing mortal kombat and listening to the chronic, that was all I cared to do like it was my aspiration in life.

Cypress Hill = Non-stop blunted Action.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I still remember seeing them back when they opened for 3rd Bass in S.F. Ah, how those fortunes got reversed.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    They introduced me to Syl Johnson.

• Hmmm... I'm gonna have to stand up for their third album here since nobody else seems to give it any props. I'm not saying the whole thing was classic from top to bottom, but there were a handful of tracks on there I thought were killer. I just like the dark feel to a lot of the songs and I love the beats Muggs was coming up with. This is the last Cypress album I can F*ck with though, I really can't get down with their rap/metal hybrid crap.

Everybody Must Get Stoned

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    The fist one is still a classic to my ears.

Never liked the other ones as they were too corny.