Cypress Hill (DISCUSS)

2»

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Yes.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    When Cypress Hill played in Amsterdam, in 93 I think, B-Real was too stoned* to do his show. He stood on stage for about 10 minutes yelling 'F*ck the Source' and then got off stage.
    Sen Dog and the Funkdoobiest (who opened for Cypress) then did the show in stead and killed it.

*always a risk, when seeing shows in Amsterdam, the artist being too stoned. I've seen plenty not make a full show.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'll cosign the love for much of the third album, and even some of the remixes on Unreleased and Revamped.

While it's not something I return to much these days, those four albums were a big part of my soundtrack as a young buck, working my first job, blazing in the forest and the car, hangin' with the ladies. While they definitely seemed to cater to us suburban white kids, it worked fine enough for me at the time. This period sorta peaked after I caught them on one of the Smokin' Grooves tours in 1997, with the Brand New Heavies, Erykah Badu and George Clinton.

While not a true hype man, Sen Dog's well-placed gravely one-liners like "Hits from a bong, y'all" still crack me up. The man had a small job, but he did it well.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    All about the production of Muggs. As already said, maybe easy to say that he had a formula going with the loping bass b/w squeaky shriek, but when it worked it worked well. First two LPs were very good, although I don't think Black Sunday has aged as well as the s/t.
    Temples of Boom seemed like one long homage to Pulp Fiction, and while the beats were still great, the MCing wasn't up to scratch for me.

Stoned Is The Way Of The Walk (Reprise)

Sounding like the production was influenced by the Dust Brothers imho, what with the various beat changes and breakdowns, but with that sinister Muggs vibe to it. Pinnacle of Muggs' work for me.

I recommend the Unreleased & Revamped EP. Nice collection of stuff from first three LPs.

• i heard that t ray produced alot of black sunday and didnt get credit. he would show muggs the samples to use and muggs would loop it up, thinking he would get production credit, but t ray only gets credit for like 2 or 3 tracks

• I actually think Black Sunday has aged pretty well. I was at my saturation point with Cypress back when it dropped and couldn't really deal. I went back to it about two years ago and really dug it.

Dudes saying that Black Sunday is corny doth protest too much, methinks.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Anyone have an instrumental of "Boom Biddy Bye Bye"? I forgot how much I liked this beat!

:

• Dudes saying that Black Sunday is corny doth protest too much, methinks.

• Anyone have an instrumental of "Boom Biddy Bye Bye"? I forgot how much I liked this beat!

:

I'll check my stacks and see if I do. That was one of my favorite tracks so if the instrumental was on any 12" singles at the time I might have it. I'll check. Seems like I've heard the instrumental though so it must be around.

• Cypress' first album changed the course of my life. Parties were suddenly so much better, girls loved that album too so that was a plus-
    And it is probably in some way responsible for many a young mans low sperm count, puffin on a blunt constantly related.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I skated in my latin lingo shirt until the thirteenth hole and lets just say i've never rolled another impregnated joint.
    Then came the temples of boom full-f*ckin backpatch on the black bomber coat and a very large stained soul assasins 2 tee.
    Dj muggs always had shining moments on most the albums, the rapping never stuck, but the subject matter DID hit me at an influential hour. DO YOU WANNA SPARK ANOTHER OWL?

• SO ILL...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i still wear my "somethin for a blunted" tshirt from a toronto flea market in the 90s, it was my first band tshirt..mothball holes and all, i wear it to the gym and now realize its in the same vein of rockers/skids wearing iron maiden tshirts, a concept i never understood in the past

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm deejaying out tonight and plan to close my set with The Phuncky Feel One.

• i still wear my "somethin for a blunted" tshirt from a toronto flea market in the 90s, it was my first band tshirt..mothball holes and all, i wear it to the gym and now realize its in the same vein of rockers/skids wearing iron maiden tshirts, a concept i never understood in the past

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• 3 LITTLE PUTOS!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    a couple things -- love the Sen Dog single from THIS YEAR:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    also muggs production on 'grandmasters' and that joint from this year w/ planet asia was pretty awesome

• U dudes ride for the spanglish version of teh album?