Tell me about LA

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
So, me and my girl have been thinking about going on an overseas trip for a while now (semi-honeymoon related), and since a few friends from LA came to visit us last weekend, the propect of one plane ride and free accomodation makes visiting LA seem like an easy option.b, 21b, 21Is LA a cool place to visit?b, 21Is San Fran an easy train ride from LA?b, 21Are there record spots in LA (I know NYC spots, but not LA)?b, 21Are there made funk nights in LA?b, 21b, 21I know I'm coming off mad img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game02vy9.gif" alt="" 21 but I just want people to tell me LA is a cool place to visit!b, 21b, 21Oh yeah, and what strutters would wanna hang with some aussies!

Comments

• I love LA and I hate LA as many do...b, 21b, 211. LA can be a cool place to visit, sure- depends on who your hosts are to a certain degree as well (or what kind of info you get)b, 212. SF is easy car/bus ride. Train is expensive and takes 12+ hours...you can craigslist a hippy carpool in a matter of minutes, rent a car, or hop on one of those buses (megabus or cashuttlebus) for about $40 and it's a gob, 213. Records- this is always a yes and no question for me...depends on what you're looking for, how much access you can have to Hollywood/Pasadena/LBC/Westside and how much $ to spendb, 214. Funk nights??! Funkmosphere? Root Down? Stuffs like that?b, 215. WHAT ABOUT FOOD!?!?!? FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is LA a cool place to visit? Yea.
    b, 21Is San Fran an easy train ride from LA? There is the Amtrak.
    b, 21Are there record spots in LA (I know NYC spots, but not LA)? There's always records somewhere. Depends what you're looking for though.
    b, 21Are there made funk nights in LA? There's several cool ones going on at places like The Grandstar jazz club, Zanzibar, Mandrake?. My favorite is Little Temple Bar in Silverlake. Nice lil venue.
    b, 21
    b, 21Oh yeah, and what strutters would wanna hang with some aussies!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21If you really want an "LA experience", go along Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. on the weekends, where it's jam-packed with people. Go walk around, go munch on some wings at Hooters or something, and then spend some time at Amoeba Music. 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica is always a nice touristy spot. The pier is close by, the x-mas lights are kinda nice. b, 21b, 21If you're into outdoor activities, I know a few nice hiking spots.

• a properly-timed LA-SF drive should not take longer than 5 hrs IMO. and gas is cheap over here at the moment. rent a car. that said, if it's your first CA experience I would take the slow route and stop along the coast at a few spots.

• I just moved here 2 months ago so I can give a newcomer's perspective.b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is LA a cool place to visit?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yes, but I'd recommend doing your research first and planning things out a bit so you don't end up in rush hour traffic for the majority of your day. Every time I visited I stayed w/ friends who had cars, and I recommend you do the same or rent a car w/ GPS.b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is San Fran an easy train ride from LA?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Let me know when you find out. I want to terrorize Rosshog, Edith H. and them.b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Are there record spots in LA (I know NYC spots, but not LA)?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I haven't had that much success at spots, but then again I've been on a budget and haven't really searched them out. Your best bet is probably to hit up me, Belson, francislai and other Strutters who slang and do it in private. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pasue23is.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Are there made funk nights in LA?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21EVERY SUNDAY - Some mainstream 60s soul night w/ a decent crowd at The Short Stopb, 21EVERY OTHER TUESDAY - Mas Exitos at Verdugo Bar plays obscure cumbia and other latin jointsb, 21FIRST WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH - Francislai's (and another strutter whose name escapes me) THE FEEL UP at Little Temple playing mad rare disco & boogie vinylb, 21THURSDAYS - MannyBolone's BOOGALOO LA at The Short Stop always a killer latin/disco/hiphop/funk/whatever dance partyb, 212ND FRIDAYS - Blackeyed Soul Club at Medusa Lounge (obscure 60s garage/psych/soul)b, 213RD FRIDAYS - The Bullet at Vine Bar (60s mod/soul/northern/garage)b, 21EVERY SATURDAY - MIles Breakestra' Funky Sole at The Echo (funk/soul/latin/hiphop)b, 212ND SATURDAYS - Soulside at Fais Do-Do (massive northern/rocksteady night) b, 21b, 21h, 21font class="post"1b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/581.gif" alt="" 21

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21What's a train?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Subway?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Subway?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21You're not from around here, are you? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Seriously though, rent a car or you'll be stuck staring out your hotel room window eating vending machine candy. There is essentially no public transportation in southern California.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I just moved here 2 months ago so I can give a newcomer's perspective.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Your best bet is probably to hit up me, Belson, francislai and other Strutters who slang and do it in private.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pasue23is.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/581.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Subway?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21You're not from around here, are you?
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Seriously though, rent a car or you'll be stuck staring out your hotel room window eating vending machine candy. There is essentially no public transportation in southern California.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Evidently, img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21I'm a bit hesitant to do ther whole car thing, though I was thinking LA seems like a really spread out kind of place. It's just the whole driving on the wrong side of the road thing has me a bit freaked. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-lowrider.gif" alt="" 21

• I'm unemployed and I have a GPS. HIre me as your personal chauffeur! b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bbb.gif" alt="" 21

If you're still unemployed Mid-09, you got yourself a part-time job!b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21I pay minimum wage plus you may take one icicle from the frige.

• - When are you coming? It's raining right now and cold. b, 21- You b1have to have a car/b1 or a nice person to get you where you have to go. b, 21- Don't even think about a taxi ($$$) unless it's a one off or you stay in a very small, defined area. b, 21- There are lots of nightlife spots(mentioned above), I would stay away from "The Strip" unless you are trying to have the "LA experience". b, 21- Record stores are few and far between. So, you will need a car etc... BTW ... Ameoba is whackarooni don't waste your time.b, 21- Where are you going to stay? Are you seriously going to stay with friends? You might want to look into a couple of "honeymoon" nights at a hotel. Lots of good deals on 3-4 star hotels all over.b, 21- Lots of foodplaces. Although I have not found one good Thai or Pho place on the westside.(someone plz help)b, 21- Hard to find good coffee. I have developed an area specific map devoted to coffee locations and quality. b, 21- Rethink the wifey trip. LA has all the world's most beautiful women ready & waiting to serve you... I know 10 that are down right now!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21- When are you coming? It's raining right now and cold.
    b, 21- You
    b1have to have a car
    /b1 or a nice person to get you where you have to go.
    b, 21- Don't even think about a taxi ($$$) unless it's a one off or you stay in a very small, defined area.
    b, 21- There are lots of nightlife spots(mentioned above), I would stay away from "The Strip" unless you are trying to have the "LA experience".
    b, 21- Record stores are few and far between. So, you will need a car etc... BTW ... Ameoba is whackarooni don't waste your time.
    b, 21- Where are you going to stay? Are you seriously going to stay with friends? You might want to look into a couple of "honeymoon" nights at a hotel. Lots of good deals on 3-4 star hotels all over.
    b, 21- Lots of foodplaces. Although I have not found one good Thai or Pho place on the westside.(someone plz help)
    b, 21- Hard to find good coffee. I have developed an area specific map devoted to coffee locations and quality.
    b, 21- Rethink the wifey trip. LA has all the world's most beautiful women ready & waiting to serve you... I know 10 that are down right now!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Wrong wrong wrong.b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 LA has all the world's most beautiful women ready & waiting to serve you... I know 10 that are down right now!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21NYC fool. LA has hot chicks but they all want to be actresses and are dumb dumbs from the South with mad makeup on. OK I guess they are ready to serve you. You right.b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Coffee
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21So many good cuban coffee places, you mad. And Intelligentsia, bourgie coffee but damn goods.b, 21b, 21b, 21Definitely go stay with friends, you will be out all day, rent a car for cheap online, go over a wknd so you can records at the swaps and flea mkts. And drive all over the place, down Sunset to the beach, into Hollywood Hills, go out at night on the East side, much cooler vibe.

• Nobody uses Home James??

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Nobody uses Home James??
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Home James got outlawed in LA like a year ago. Besides that still involves having a car and it ain't cheap neither and you have to be a member, that is not for tourists like Kinetic.

• all i know is you need a car.b, 21i can't figure out the right coordinates, this definitely ain't right b, 21b, 21iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,195.3860833988617,,0,-1.9601993928863628&cbll=34.040427,-118.697748&panoid=&v=1&hl=en&gl=us"1/iframe1b, 21small1a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Las+Virgenes+Rd,+Calabasas,+California+91302&sll=34.175169,-118.841858&sspn=0.13009,0.2211&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FfvWCAIdibzs-A&ll=34.135536,-118.700924&spn=0.032575,0.055275&z=14&layer=c&cbll=34.040427,-118.697748&panoid=LfYNUFVUkzfn1CA8vqtnEQ&cbp=12,195.3860833988617,,0,-1.9601993928863628&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left"1View Larger Map/small1b, 21b, 21but i was driving on that las virginies completely sober two months ago, pharoah sanders hum allah on the mix cd, and i see the pacific ocean for the first time break over the canyons. b, 21b, 21definitely an almost lose my shit moment and crash the car.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Home James got outlawed in LA like a year ago. Besides that still involves having a car and it ain't cheap neither and you have to be a member, that is not for tourists like Kinetic.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Outlawed?? Whaaaa?? Didn't know that!!b, 21b, 21By the way, in ref to your location......."you're so beautiful you could be a part-time model, or a high class prostitute!" Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Home James got outlawed in LA like a year ago. Besides that still involves having a car and it ain't cheap neither and you have to be a member, that is not for tourists like Kinetic.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Outlawed?? Whaaaa?? Didn't know that!!
    b, 21
    b, 21By the way, in ref to your location......."you're so beautiful you could be a part-time model, or a high class prostitute!" Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21YES! You are the only person who got that reference, please pm me your address, I will send you winning prize box of Yodels and a Tab Cola!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Outlawed?? Whaaaa?? Didn't know that!!
    b, 21
    b, 21By the way, in ref to your location......."you're so beautiful you could be a part-time model, or a high class prostitute!" Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21YES! You are the only person who got that reference, please pm me your address, I will send you winning prize box of Yodels and a Tab Cola!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21ahahhahahhaa, that's awesome!! was just listening to 'business time' b4......"you know when i'm wearing my sock's it's business, they're business socks"- gets me every time !! b, 21b, 21And the racist ep where the fruit man hates them cos he thinks new zealanders are aussies!! b, 21b, 21& For good measure- "All the laydee's with the babies make your babies shake their booties. Oh yeah!"

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Subway?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21You're not from around here, are you?
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Seriously though, rent a car or you'll be stuck staring out your hotel room window eating vending machine candy. There is essentially no public transportation in southern California.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Evidently,
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm a bit hesitant to do ther whole car thing, though I was thinking LA seems like a really spread out kind of place. It's just the whole driving on the wrong side of the road thing has me a bit freaked.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-lowrider.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Believe me. You won't be worst driver on the road.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Coffee
    b, 21
    b, 21So many good cuban coffee places, you mad.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Cuban Coffee Places? I would like to try this ethnic goodness. Do I have to fly somewhere? b/w I'm from Seattle. The place where you can't walk two feet without bumping into a Barista on any street corner making a superb beverage. L.A.'s ratio of good coffee/citizen does not amount to beans.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Believe me. You won't be worst driver on the road.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21This is the truth. Last time I was in LA we drove to SD & saw a guy on the freeway steering the car with his knees putting eyedrops in his eyes img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 I would go to Amoeba again just to marvel the sheer size of it, think of it like a music tourist trap....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 I have developed an area specific map devoted to coffee locations and quality.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Share please.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So, me and my girl have been thinking about going on an overseas trip for a while now (semi-honeymoon related), and since a few friends from LA came to visit us last weekend, the propect of one plane ride and free accomodation makes visiting LA seem like an easy option.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Hey Kinetic,b, 21b, 21If you got friends in the area you can crash with, that might help eliminate the need for a car. But otherwise, as people have stressed, you need a car. You really do. b, 21b, 21You can fly relatively cheaply from SF to LA. You do NOT want to take the train. You'll end up losing an entire day. Better to either drive or fly. b, 21b, 21Record spots: don't bother. There's Amoeba if you really feel like wasting a day combing through shit or if you want a quicker but more $$$ shopping experience, you could hit up Atomic in Burbank. But for the most part, LA is not a record store town. There are records here but no solid stores. b, 21b, 21Funk nights: yeah, a shit load. Funky Sole on Saturdays is always solid, there's my night (Thursdays), and a slew of others. Check mrsoulsatisfaction.com and his calender. It's solid. b, 21b, 21As for what to do here...depends on when you're planning on coming down but if you only have a few days, skip Hollywood (F*ck that bullshit). If you already live on the coast in Australia, skip the beach. If you are going to do the beach, don't do Santa Monica - go further south (Venice if you want to see some wacky/hippy stuff), or Manhattan/Hermosa if you want a more chill experience. b, 21b, 21And for gawd's sake - skip 3rd St, skip the Grove, skip CityWalk. Fake ass "urban" shopping districts. You might as well do Disneyland in that case!b, 21b, 21My advice: orient your trip about places to eat and drink. That could mean hitting up the Verdugo Bar near Eagle Rock and hitting up any of the awesome Mexican spots in that part of L.A. b, 21b, 21If you're down by East LA, hit up Baja Tacos Ensenada. CRACK. b, 21b, 21If you want Chinese, the San Gabriel Valley overfloweth. The Huntington Gardens out in San Marino are f*ckin' expensive to get into but it is a pretty nice place to spend a few hours and then you're very close to San Gabriel/Rosemead/Arcadia and all the Chinese eats out there. b, 21b, 21The Getty, up on the Westside, is also worth visiting, especially on a warm day and if the air is clean. The views are spanktacular and the gardens and galleries are worth the stroll. Admission is free but parking is $10, just be warned. Food-wise, the Westside is kind of so-so but there's very good Japanese down on Sawtelle and decent Persian/Lebanese on Westwood Blvd. b, 21b, 21Shig is the man to ask about food on a tourist budget however.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21You can fly relatively cheaply from SF to LA. You do NOT want to take the train. You'll end up losing an entire day. Better to either drive or fly...
    b, 21
    b, 21And for gawd's sake - skip 3rd St, skip the Grove, skip CityWalk. Fake ass "urban" shopping districts. You might as well do Disneyland in that case!...
    b, 21
    b, 21The Getty, up on the Westside, is also worth visiting, especially on a warm day and if the air is clean. The views are spanktacular and the gardens and galleries are worth the stroll.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21^^Agreed^^b, 21b, 21I'd say it's worth the trip.b, 21And if you're flying your a** all the way from Australia for a vacation, I'll b, 21tell you some of the record spots that nobody wants to mention.b, 21As far as nightlife there are some long-running, well-respected nights but a lot of s**t changes quick and "mid-09" is a ways away. When it's closer I'd be happy to tell you whatever I can.

• It is essential to rent a car and as a fellow Aussie be prepared to freak yourself out in the first hour or so of driving on the wrong side on the road. You do get the hang of it. b, 21b, 21Try and get there and wangle some tickets to the NAMM show (mid Jan) the biggest music trade show in the world. it will blow your mind the cats that attend and the technology etc on display.b, 21b, 21I don't know if he is still there but go and meet Kevin at A1 records and listen to his bullshit..b, 21b, 21Not wanting to start some LA vs San Francisco shit here but seriously San Fran is way cooler and more happening (IMO) plus a road trip north to northern california is well worth it

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Not wanting to start some LA vs San Francisco shit here but seriously San Fran is way cooler and more happening (IMO) plus a road trip north to northern california is well worth it
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21>>>> more going on any given evening (or day) than the Bay does.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So, me and my girl have been thinking about going on an overseas trip for a while now (semi-honeymoon related), and since a few friends from LA came to visit us last weekend, the propect of one plane ride and free accomodation makes visiting LA seem like an easy option.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Hey Kinetic,
    b, 21
    b, 21If you got friends in the area you can crash with, that might help eliminate the need for a car. But otherwise, as people have stressed, you need a car. You really do.
    b, 21
    b, 21You can fly relatively cheaply from SF to LA. You do NOT want to take the train. You'll end up losing an entire day. Better to either drive or fly.
    b, 21
    b, 21Record spots: don't bother. There's Amoeba if you really feel like wasting a day combing through shit or if you want a quicker but more $$$ shopping experience, you could hit up Atomic in Burbank. But for the most part, LA is not a record store town. There are records here but no solid stores.
    b, 21
    b, 21Funk nights: yeah, a shit load. Funky Sole on Saturdays is always solid, there's my night (Thursdays), and a slew of others. Check mrsoulsatisfaction.com and his calender. It's solid.
    b, 21
    b, 21As for what to do here...depends on when you're planning on coming down but if you only have a few days, skip Hollywood (F*ck that bullshit). If you already live on the coast in Australia, skip the beach. If you are going to do the beach, don't do Santa Monica - go further south (Venice if you want to see some wacky/hippy stuff), or Manhattan/Hermosa if you want a more chill experience.
    b, 21
    b, 21And for gawd's sake - skip 3rd St, skip the Grove, skip CityWalk. Fake ass "urban" shopping districts. You might as well do Disneyland in that case!
    b, 21
    b, 21My advice: orient your trip about places to eat and drink. That could mean hitting up the Verdugo Bar near Eagle Rock and hitting up any of the awesome Mexican spots in that part of L.A.
    b, 21
    b, 21If you're down by East LA, hit up Baja Tacos Ensenada. CRACK.
    b, 21
    b, 21If you want Chinese, the San Gabriel Valley overfloweth. The Huntington Gardens out in San Marino are f*ckin' expensive to get into but it is a pretty nice place to spend a few hours and then you're very close to San Gabriel/Rosemead/Arcadia and all the Chinese eats out there.
    b, 21
    b, 21The Getty, up on the Westside, is also worth visiting, especially on a warm day and if the air is clean. The views are spanktacular and the gardens and galleries are worth the stroll. Admission is free but parking is $10, just be warned. Food-wise, the Westside is kind of so-so but there's very good Japanese down on Sawtelle and decent Persian/Lebanese on Westwood Blvd.
    b, 21
    b, 21Shig is the man to ask about food on a tourist budget however.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21You're such a hater.b, 21b, 21I don't go to 3rd St. and Beverly Center and all that wackiness often enough so I can enjoy it. They are good for what they are! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21Okay, half this post is about food, which I guess is good, but I doubt vacationers would be willing to travel to SG for some chinese food. b, 21b, 21CAN YOU SPEND A DAY IN SAN GABRIEL IS WHAT I'M SAYIN.b, 21b, 21By the way, Disneyland is fun.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Not wanting to start some LA vs San Francisco shit here but seriously San Fran is way cooler and more happening (IMO) plus a road trip north to northern california is well worth it
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    >>>> more going on any given evening (or day) than the Bay does. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21SF SNOBBERY IN FULL EFFECT.