Tell me about LA

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    From a *tourist* point of view, SF >>> LA. b, 21b, 21I don't see how this is even in contention. I mean, you're putting up SHOPPING MALLS as your leading vote for "what to do." C'mon dude.

• HEY DON'T FRONT ON THE STONESTOWN GALLERIA

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21If you really want an "LA experience", go along Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. on the weekends, where it's jam-packed with people. Go walk around, go munch on some wings at Hooters or something, and then spend some time at Amoeba Music. 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica is always a nice touristy spot. The pier is close by, the x-mas lights are kinda nice.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21WORST LA RECOMMENDATIONS EVAR.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    >> LA. b, 21b, 21I don't see how this is even in contention. I mean, you're putting up SHOPPING MALLS as your leading vote for "what to do." C'mon dude. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21So what's there to do in SF? Educate me.b, 21b, 21Two times. 3rd St. is great for what it is. You could even brown bag a beer from the corner liquor store and watch the sun setting along the pier, and search in vain for some AUTHENTIC food if that's your thing. If you think Venice Beach or some taco stand in East LA is the REAL LA, then I can't help you. Do you, but please don't tell people, what the REAL or REAL ISN'T. Or begin to imply it. THEY ARE ALL LA. Appreciate or deal.b, 21b, 21I myself generally hate shopping malls and crowds, but when you wanna do some window-shopping/eat/look at some X-mas lights, you generally go where people go. I only raised this as an option, for an alternative to the usual stuff that's recommended here.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21If you really want an "LA experience", go along Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. on the weekends, where it's jam-packed with people. Go walk around, go munch on some wings at Hooters or something, and then spend some time at Amoeba Music. 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica is always a nice touristy spot. The pier is close by, the x-mas lights are kinda nice.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21WORST LA RECOMMENDATIONS EVAR.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Your location summarizes your city. Get real.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    >> LA. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I have to agree. Granted I haven't been in SF in over 10 years but I think as a tourist it's a lot more attractive than smog city.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    >> LA. b, 21b, 21I don't see how this is even in contention. I mean, you're putting up SHOPPING MALLS as your leading vote for "what to do." C'mon dude. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21So what's there to do in SF? Educate me.
    b, 21
    b, 21Two times. 3rd St. is great for what it is. You could even brown bag a beer from the corner liquor store and watch the sun setting along the pier, and search in vain for some AUTHENTIC food if that's your thing. If you think Venice Beach or some taco stand in East LA is the REAL LA, then I can't help you. Do you, but please don't tell people, what the REAL or REAL ISN'T. Or begin to imply it. THEY ARE ALL LA. Appreciate or deal.
    b, 21
    b, 21I myself generally hate shopping malls and crowds, but when you wanna do some window-shopping/eat/look at some X-mas lights, you generally go where people go. I only raised this as an option, for an alternative to the usual stuff that's recommended here.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The Haightb, 21Golden Gate Parkb, 21The Missionb, 21The Golden Gate Bridgeb, 21Marin + Berkeleyb, 21Alcatrazb, 21Fisermen's Warfb, 21Culture + Decent peopleb, 21b, 21LA is f*cking lame to visit. 3rd street? come on.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Fisermen's Warf
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21no.b, 21b, 21I'm not just saying this on some SF snobbery (I would, for instance, reccommend Alcatraz to a first-time SF visitor).b, 21b, 21I simply see NOTHING interesting about Fisherman's Wharf. The sea lions maybe? They are better viewed from Pier 39 anyway, which at least has a hat store.

• The wharf is pretty grimy. Used to be the upside of occasional breakdance fighting.b, 21b, 21Now basically you can pay a lot of money for a stale sourdough breadbowl with crab concoction in it that will give you the runs.b, 21b, 21You can still occasionally get robbed over in those apartments. So I guess there's that.

• lots of kodak film to be copped at the wharf I guess.

• Man, you can get a grip of batteries there too.b, 21b, 21And license plate keychains. b, 21b, 21b, 21Does that history-of-SF ride with the earthquake at the end still exist?

• I dunno but I am salty that the new-and-improved Academy of Sciences in the park eliminated the earthquake simulator. One of the dopest parts about that museum. Matter of fact I am mad generally at teh new joint.

• What?!? Oh man that's terrible.b, 21b, 21Next you're gonna tell me that they deaded the tactile dome.

• no yet thankfully.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    What with you people living there and i1going to museums and shit[/i], you may have seen this pic already, a href="http://www.abneypark.com/sanfranfromairship.jpg" target="_blank"1*Clicky but I thought it was facemelting enough to post in a SF thread anyway.b, 21b, 21*too big to hotlink

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21What?!? Oh man that's terrible.
    b, 21
    b, 21Next you're gonna tell me that they deaded the tactile dome.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Different spots - you're talking Exploratorium while Rootless is complaining about the new Steinhart + Natural History museum. I just went there the other month - nice but cotdamn $$$. b, 21b, 21Tactile dome is still around but man, they need to replace that grimy thing. Decades of lil kids groping their way through there. Yikers.

• You know what I mean - culture and books and shit.

• I love LA. I love SF. I think they both have something to offer. b, 21b, 21I really like SF but the amount of fun I have depends on who I stay with. b, 21b, 21I'd say if you come to LA hit me up on the PM and i'll tell you whatever record spots I know and what nights are fun to check out.b, 21b, 21I'd say check out the canyons and the coast north and south of LA. Palos Verde is beautiful and so is the areas north of malibu. b, 21b, 21Venice is fun on sundays you can check out the drum circle which is a real freak fest but is super cool if you like people watching. Santa Monica is lame honestly. b, 21b, 21Checking out hollywood is always fun. b, 21b, 21As far as taco stands in east LA and shit. I donno I feel like people always want to tell me that east LA is the only real part of LA... but Im yet to really be convinced. b, 21b, 21If you like hip hop or experimental electronic music check out Low End Theory at the airliner on wednesdays.b, 21b, 21Ultimately... it gets harder for me to explain why LA is the shit every day. Yet listening to Latin housey re-edits gets harder for me by the day as well.b, 21b, 21LA has some good weed though. haha.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Two times. 3rd St. is great for what it is. You could even brown bag a beer from the corner liquor store and watch the sun setting along the pier, and search in vain for some AUTHENTIC food if that's your thing. If you think Venice Beach or some taco stand in East LA is the REAL LA, then I can't help you. Do you, but please don't tell people, what the REAL or REAL ISN'T. Or begin to imply it. THEY ARE ALL LA. Appreciate or deal.
    b, 21
    b, 21I myself generally hate shopping malls and crowds, but when you wanna do some window-shopping/eat/look at some X-mas lights, you generally go where people go. I only raised this as an option, for an alternative to the usual stuff that's recommended here.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It has nothing to do with "real" vs. "fake" LA. (I would say that part of what "real" LA excels at is fakery, e.g. The Grove which is masterful in its fake-ness. To that degree, if you have an interest in neo-urban architecture, The Grove or the Americana are actually genuinely interesting places to go. 3rd St. is still kind of dull in my opinion). b, 21b, 21However, that aside, if you're going to visit LA, hanging out at an outdoor mall just wouldn't be high on my recommended list of shit to do, especially since LA has been exporting that style of outdoor mall. Maybe not to Australia but it just doesn't strike me as a compelling place to go if you're coming in from out of town. b, 21b, 21Maybe the key difference here isn't between "real" and "fake" LA but rather, "interesting" vs. "lame" LA and god knows LA excels at both.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Thanks heaps y'all.b, 21b, 21I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all the stuff people have had to say about LA and SF, both good and bad. I'm thinking we probably will end up going sometime midyear 09. And I will definitely hit up those that offered on the PM when we have a date locked in. We'll probably head over for 3-4 weeks, and try and spend a week in San Fran too since we're there.b, 21b, 21Cheersb, 21K in Australia!

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Thanks heaps y'all.
    b, 21
    b, 21I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all the stuff people have had to say about LA and SF, both good and bad. I'm thinking we probably will end up going sometime midyear 09. And I will definitely hit up those that offered on the PM when we have a date locked in. We'll probably head over for 3-4 weeks, and try and spend a week in San Fran too since we're there.
    b, 21
    b, 21Cheers
    b, 21K in Australia!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah - if you have to choose b/t the two, then you should do SF. It's just an easier city for tourism and for a relatively short trip, it's easier to get a sense of it vs. LA which I think is best experienced long-term than short-term. b, 21>> any comparable stores in LA. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21But if you can do both, LA has no shortage of charms and the weather is usually awesome in the spring.

• SF currently 43 degrees.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21SF currently 43 degrees.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21If it's any consolation, LA isn't I1that[/i] much warmer today.b, 21b, 21The SG mountains did get dusted with some snow though which is always nice. b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snowman.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I doubt vacationers would be willing to travel to SG for some chinese food.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Dude, we already know that you think driving half an hour for a good meal is silly. Hence why you ride for Big Tomy's. b, 21b, 21img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2666455716_c32af7e081.jpg?v=01b, 21b, 21But for real, half the fun (in my book) of traveling is eating some shit you're not going to find local. And if that means a whole half-hour (oh, the horror) in the car to eat at Luscious Dumplings on Las Tunas? That's absolutely worth it. b, 21b, 21What's the point in being a tourist otherwise?

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21It has nothing to do with "real" vs. "fake" LA. (I would say that part of what "real" LA excels at is fakery, e.g. The Grove which is
    masterful in its fake-ness. To that degree, if you have an interest in neo-urban architecture, The Grove or the Americana are actually genuinely interesting places to go. 3rd St. is still kind of dull in my opinion). b, 21b, 21However, that aside, if you're going to visit LA, hanging out at an outdoor mall just wouldn't be high on my recommended list of shit to do, especially since LA has been exporting that style of outdoor mall. Maybe not to Australia but it just doesn't strike me as a compelling place to go if you're coming in from out of town. b, 21b, 21Maybe the key difference here isn't between "real" and "fake" LA but rather, "interesting" vs. "lame" LA and god knows LA excels at both. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21btw, this makes no sense.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I doubt vacationers would be willing to travel to SG for some chinese food.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Dude, we already know that you think driving half an hour for a good meal is silly. Hence why you ride for Big Tomy's.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21But for real, half the fun (in my book) of traveling is eating some shit you're not going to find local. And if that means a whole half-hour (oh, the horror) in the car to eat at Luscious Dumplings on Las Tunas? That's absolutely worth it.
    b, 21
    b, 21What's the point in being a tourist otherwise?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Do you. But realize you are still mad "disconnected". It's one thing for a local to drive out to SG for dinner, another for a vacationer to do so. Bet you 3 dollars, Kinetic doesn't drive out to any of your food places. If eating only the best of delicacies is your thing, yes you wouldn't hesitate to drive all over the place, just to eat. Appreciate before you criticize dude. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1074.gif" alt="" 21 This is coming from someone who's lived here substantially longer than you, so have some respect.

• this makes complete sense. part of the realness of LA is the fakery that has been folded into the lore of socal. b, 21b, 21anyways, i feel LA is a great place to visit. kinda sucks to live here, but a fabulous place to visit. architecture here is a lesson in postmodernism. from appropriated structures to the construction of stuff directly on top of the previous building. car culture is serious. its like a 2 ton dick size contest out here. you will see some shit u only see in james bond movies and stuff. records are to be found and had. fodwise, its like living in a food court. except sbarros is over there by nordstroms, panda express is on the other side of the mall by jc penneys and baja fresh is across the parking lot. and i am not excluding the malls when i say this cuz lets be honest, the shit they have at the macys in the beverly ctr hasnt even gotten to the mall in your town yet. b, 21b, 21also, when u folks say "the LA experience" what you really mean is "the hollywood experience". LA is far too vast to say a trip down the strip sums it all up. to really experience LA, you need to go to sgv, south bay, THE VALLEY, eastlos, westside, beaches, gateway cities, mid city to even begin to call it an experience.b, 21 SOCAL. in every way except the breadth of ethnic food.

I'M GETTIN' HYPHY BITCHES. I WILL FOLD YOUR PANSY ASS BAY AREA GHEYNESS INTO A TACO WITH CILANTRO AND HABANERO HAND-PICKED FROM A MEXICAN FARM AND CALL IT A DAY. MEET ME HALF WAY BETWEEN BIG TOMY'S AND YOUR HOME, AND I WILL HAND YOU 5 BUCKS TO BUY A GREASE-LOADED TOMY'S BURRITO.b, 21b, 21NO MENTION OF THE LOCAL BLACK EXPERIENCE AT FOX HILLS MALL? YOU DUDES ARE MAD FUNNY. TALKING ABOUT WHAT IS AND WHAT ISN'T LA. IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER. BUT I GUESS IT DOES. TO YOU BAY AREA TRANSPLANTS, I EXPRESS THE SAME DISGUST TO YOU THAT YOU SHOW TO 3RD STREET PROMENADE.b, 21b, 21OH YEA.

• um, dude. its 730. isnt it your mom's turn to use the computer?

Shove a Mazaratti up your ass.