any COMIC BOOK collectors here?

Digger_Phelps_IIDigger_Phelps_II 174 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
or used to collect?picked up a recent issue of wizard & was wondering wuts going on the world of comics....anybody else wanna get thiere geek on here? wut happened to image & valiant?

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I still read comics quite a bit. I'm jonesing for All Star Superman in november. Seven Soldiers is kiiling it right now. The new Frank Miller Batman title might be cool...

Image is still around. Valiant might be revived soon...

h

• thanks for replying..i was hoping someone would come thru..i stopped buying back around 92-93 cuz the prices were skyrocketing...wutever happened to rob liefeld?..he was a hot commodity back then...and eric larsens "savage dragon"?...the whole landscape of the industry has changed..i see d.c. is now regularly outselling marvel....and wuts the best/complete price guide out there?

• edubedub 715 Posts
    wutever happened to rob liefeld?..he was a hot commodity back then...and eric larsens "savage dragon"?...

damn... that was about the time I fell off as well...

Still got about 4 boxes of goodies... most of the first Image series... Todd McFarlane was my hero!

Never liked Liefield or Larsen... thought they were ripping of Mcfarlane's style (which blew me away since Amazing Spiderman #298 (remember that black spidey suit???)

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The new Frank Miller Batman title might be cool...

Funny this thread came up. I haven't bought a comic book in probably 10 years and I was walking by Comic Relief on Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley and immediately recognized Jim Lee's work on the new Batman and Robin comic book being written by Frank Miller. I picked it up.

Sad to say that it's actually pretty lame. I wasn't expecting another Dark Knight Returns but the pacing of the story was all wrong and the story uninteresting. Jim Lee's artwork was great though.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    the whole landscape of the industry has changed..i see d.c. is now regularly outselling marvel....

Wow, really? What the hell happened?
    I was a comic junkie as a kid, but had to fall off in the mid 80's when the beats / hip hop addiction began to consume me.

wutever happened to rob liefeld?..he was a hot commodity back then...and eric larsens "savage dragon"?...

Eric Larsen (who always came across as a dickhead to me in editor notes) now runs Image according to a clerk at Comic Relief. Last I heard Rob Liefeld got in some legal battle with Todd Mcfarlane but that was years ago. Back in the day everyone was biting McFarlane and Jim Lee. Then the dude that drew Gen13 came along and everyone started biting him but he was pretty much biting the entire Japanese comic look.

the whole landscape of the industry has changed..i see d.c. is now regularly outselling marvel....

I was a comic junkie as a kid, but had to fall off in the mid 80's when the beats / hip hop addiction began to consume me.

Marvel had a rep for not treating their talent with respect. Hell, even Stan Lee had to sue Marvel to get his cut of the Spiderman movie profits. In the early 90's their hottest talent fled to start their own label (Liefeld, McFarlane, Jim Lee, that guy that did Wetworks and the dude that did The Maxx).

Todd MacFarlane actually filed for bankruptcy as he named one of the villians in the comic book after some hockey player. The hockey player sued him for defamation and won. What a chump. Suing somebody because a fictional character in a comic book is a villian?!? What bullshit.

The Maxx MTV cartoon was the shit BTW!

• the whole landscape of the industry has changed..i see d.c. is now regularly outselling marvel....

Marvel had a rep for not treating their talent with respect. Hell, even Stan Lee had to sue Marvel to get his cut of the Spiderman movie profits. In the early 90's their hottest talent fled to start their own label (Liefeld, McFarlane, Jim Lee, that guy that did Wetworks and the dude that did The Maxx).

Todd MacFarlane actually filed for bankruptcy as he named one of the villians in the comic book after some hockey player. The hockey player sued him for defamation and won. What a chump. Suing somebody because a fictional character in a comic book is a villian?!? What bullshit.

The Maxx MTV cartoon was the shit BTW!

tony twist was the villian/hockey player..i cant believe that guy won..millions too! i expect a "alex luthor" to sue dc now!..but THE MAXX was my sh*t...deep comic & cartoon..jim lee is the greatest comic book artist ever..had the most realistic looking stuff and has been the go-to guy since like 1990...i know that all the manga style artists started to rise and become in demand..wetworks was whilce portacio..maxx was sam kieth..and i remember dale keown that did hulk had some sick stuff...i remember when image formed i was like "best.company.ever." but then you could see the egos coming out...1 year inot the company and every book has a spinoff..and rediculous tacky mechandise....

the worst sh*t i just found out is that wolverine has a kid sister with claws in her hands & feet....disgusting.

..and where is my man gambit? i heard he and colosuss got killed?!! ....i know marvel was in bad financial shae a coupla years back and did all this stupid story line stuff like make 20 different x-men titles, 10 spidey's......

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I've got a shit load (one long box) of Hulk and OG Tales to Astonish if anyone want to trade for records. Even got a raer with Wolverine up in it!!! #182

• i think wolverines 1st appearance is hulk 142 or 182

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    ..jim lee is the greatest comic book artist ever..

Respect the architect

jack Kirby is the GOAT

Jim Steranko and Neal Adams are in the top 5

the worst sh*t i just found out is that wolverine has a kid sister with claws in her hands &

PUKE!

You're fucking kidding me! Lame shit. Remember the Weapon X storyline in Marvel Comic Presents? I think that was actually late 80's. I forget the artists name but his shit was ill. He went on to make Archer & Armstrong for Valiant which was my shit too!

• the worst sh*t i just found out is that wolverine has a kid sister with claws in her hands &

PUKE!

You're fucking kidding me! Lame shit. Remember the Weapon X storyline in Marvel Comic Presents? I think that was actually late 80's. I forget the artists name but his shit was ill. He went on to make Archer & Armstrong for Valiant which was my shit too!

yeah...he also wrote the weapon x storyline....great covers...trying to remember his name

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    i think wolverines 1st appearance is hulk 142 or 182
    His 1st is 180 he's on the last page and don't even think you see his face

2nd is 181 that one is worth the most cause he's in the whole issue

182 is his 3rd appearance on the first few pages

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Todd fucked up on that one, though, and got a little cocky, made the major mistake of freely admitting he used the dude's name on purpose - which is a big no no if you don't wanna get sued. I always thought Twist was a loser for filing the suit (since McFarlane was actually just a big hockey fan and basically riding dude's nuts), as well as a loser on the ice, but Todd really needed someone to tell him to shut up.

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    Haven't read many comics since I was a kid and pretty into them, but a housemate of mine's comic collection has me reading them again...
    First of all--Understanding Comics and Reinventing Comics by scott mccloud are great, basically a thesis type paper on comics done in comic form.
    Alan Moore has done some great stuff--from swamp thing to watchmen, a deconstruction of the superhero genre. Animal Man by grant morrison is in the same vein, and the invisibles by grant morrison if ridiculous. And when you read it you realize how much of the movie "The Matrix" was ripped off from it.
    Dark knight returns is pretty essential. Frank miller did another crazy series called "hard boiled' that has some good artwork.

I'd say the stories on the whole have gotten a lot better. They've pretty much always had good art in american comic books, but the stories have really improved (for the most part)

Here's some things I remember about Image comics that I hated -

1. Todd McFarlane switching either inking duties or pencil AND inking duties to another artist. Todd's art is fantastic and his replacement just didn't cut it.

2. Quality of Savage Dragon artwork got worse and worse and worse. Just no detail in his artwork anymore.

3. Wild C.A.T.S. taking fffffforever to get issue #2 out. I think it took like 6 months for the second issue to come out. Well, in fact NOBODY at Image was able to stay on schedule.

4. The artist switching duties month. All the artists decided to take a crack at each others comics. Jim Lee did Savage Dragon and a few months later Erik Larsen decided he didn't like the work Jim Lee did and released the same issue with his artwork. Chump move!

5. Switching to glossy paper. The old paper was better than the standard stuff Marvel and DC were using at the time and the colors looked fantastic on it. The glossy paper just didn't mesh well with the coloring technology they were using at the time.

Man, I totally want to bust out my old comic books and read them again.

• Here's some things I remember about Image comics that I hated -

1. Todd McFarlane switching either inking duties or pencil AND inking duties to another artist. Todd's art is fantastic and his replacement just didn't cut it.

2. Quality of Savage Dragon artwork got worse and worse and worse. Just no detail in his artwork anymore.

3. Wild C.A.T.S. taking fffffforever to get issue #2 out. I think it took like 6 months for the second issue to come out. Well, in fact NOBODY at Image was able to stay on schedule.

4. The artist switching duties month. All the artists decided to take a crack at each others comics. Jim Lee did Savage Dragon and a few months later Erik Larsen decided he didn't like the work Jim Lee did and released the same issue with his artwork. Chump move!

5. Switching to glossy paper. The old paper was better than the standard stuff Marvel and DC were using at the time and the colors looked fantastic on it. The glossy paper just didn't mesh well with the coloring technology they were using at the time.

Man, I totally want to bust out my old comic books and read them again.

the new glossy paper is wut drove the prices up...and drove me away..and its unneccesary...who ever complained about the newspaper print?..yeah those image guys started putting out sh*t when they felt like it...all except for todd...i remember he passed off his artist duties cuz he was workimh on the spawn movies & his toy line,,,but the comic was still good...i wonder where that storyline is today....i remember one image title "the pitt" took like a year for issue #2 to drop...but the quality line at the time was valiant...and their "unity" storyline..

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I grew up in a comic book store, and even got the spidey nickname from there. I still love this nickname even through all the bullshit movies, and horrible comic series. It reminds me of when I was like in 4th grade climbing trees. Back then I would've killed to have gone to a comicon. These days I could care less, and I'd only really go to see a bald headed natalie portman.

- spidey

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• edubedub 715 Posts

Uncanny use of jpg'ery!!!

You love it. Admit it!

..but the quality line at the time was valiant...and their "unity" storyline..

Wasn't there an Image/Valiant crossover? The only thing I remember about it was that it sucked.

• ..but the quality line at the time was valiant...and their "unity" storyline..

Wasn't there an Image/Valiant crossover? The only thing I remember about it was that it sucked.

true story.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The new BLACK PANTHER series is st8 lava. Pencils by John Romita Jr. This is the series to get up on now while its still at issue # 4 or 5. DONT SLEEP!!!!!

DC is reviving Donna Troy(WONDER GIRL). Artwork by George Perez and Phil Jimenez. DONT SLEEP!!!!!

GREEN LANTERN is also revived(HAL JORDAN). DONT SLEEP!!!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I used to be. I was a big Marvel head, and while I did get into the X-Men for a short time, I liked the original Wolverine mini-series (the one that was four issues), and the series he eventually came out with. I sold issues 1-48 on eBay a few years ago for an insanely low price. Foolish move on my part.

I did like G.I. Joe, which is odd for me since I was never someone who played with war toys, wasn't into war stuff, but in 1982 it was new to me, and it was the one comic that was higher priced than most (#1 for $1.50). I collected G.I. Joe for many years before I stopped (early 90's).

For some reason I liked She-Hulk, and I think it was because I like women painted in green. Go figure.

I also got into Excalibur, which I got into because I felt since everyone was about X-Men, X-Factor, X-this, X-that, I would start from the beginning with these guys. Who were the Canadian version of them? Yellow cover? Eh.

I liked a lot of the limited series, Black Panther was one of the first ones I collected.
    ------
    DC wise, again I got into "The Unknown Soldier", another war comic. It was a 12-issue limited series, and it was more about it being limited than me getting into whomever. I did like "The Killing Joke", one of the best from that era.

If I have to pick out an all time favorite comic, it would be the 4-issue limited series known as Stray Toasters by Bill Sienkiewicz. I knew of what Sienkiewicz did, with Daredevil primarily and I liked his lettering style, but this was very different. The story was very out there, which is what I liked about it, and every few pages the artwork would be very different. Sometimes very clear, other times very distorted, a few times out of the boxes, and every now and then you'd see texture or objects placed within the frames. When the storyline got ugly, so did the artwork and lettering. It reminded me a bit of Brazil (the Terry Gilliam film), where it was futuristic but with hints of the past. The ads in the back for the toaster came off as a cross between old style advertising and World War II propaganda (one and the same?) It was the first and only time I got geeked out over a comic.

I was also a fan of "The Adventures Of Ralph Snart" and Sergio Aragones' "Groo". The artwork and storyline in "Ginger Fox" on Comico were very good too.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

It's my main man, Jeff Albertson.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The new BLACK PANTHER series is st8 lava. Pencils by John Romita Jr. This is the series to get up on now while its still at issue # 4 or 5. DONT SLEEP BECAUSE ROMITA WILL PROBABLY BE GONE BY ISSUE SEVEN!!!!![/b]

GREEN LANTERN is also revived(HAL JORDAN). DONT SLEEP!!!! MISS THE ELEVENTH RETURN OF THIS CHARACTER FROM THE "DEAD" IN THE PAST 12 YEARS!!!!! [/b]

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i used to love comics, but when they switched to the robot lettering anc coloring and fake anime art in the mid 90's, i checked out... i still read old comics, i'm currently trying to finish my runs on the following:

Miller's Daredevil (160-240)
    Kirby's Kamandi: last boy on earth (my fav. comic EVER)
    Starlin's original Warlock stuff

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    reppin' the OLD old over here...