any COMIC BOOK collectors here?

13»

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Bill Sienkiewicz.
    ...my all time favorite. too bad hollywood got ahold of it.

That cover is baller!

Sidenote: I saw Daredevil for the first time a few days ago. Wretchly bad. Saw iRobot yesterday. Even worse.

Sienkiewicz was supposed to do a run on Batman & was bumped by Jim Lee. Hopefully, his pencils for the story will be put out in graphic novel form in the coming months.

Does anyone here dig Walt Simonson? David Mack is a big Sienkiewicz biter, IMO.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Does anyone here dig Walt Simonson? David Mack is a big Sienkiewicz biter, IMO.

Well, there was a time when Sienkiewicz practically traced Neal Adams' stuff, so there's hope. Seems like Sienkiewicz turned from an Adams' worshipper into having his developed style almost overnight. He probably got shit from an editor or fanboy one too many times and really blossomed in a short period in the mid to late 80s.

And yeah, Walt Simonson did a great Mr Miracle back in the day!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Does anyone here dig Walt Simonson?

There is an OOP TPB titled, "The Art of Walt Simonson" that is so necessary. I think it might be DC-only and has mucho Manhunter. Late 60's-early 70's is the true "Golden Age" with Neal Adams killing it at DC with GL/GA, Batman (those Brave & Bolds! holy shit!), Phantom Stranger, Spectre & Deadman...and Marvel with the Lee/Romita Spider-Man run, GC Daredevils, Luke Cage, Inhumans, late Kirby early Buscema Fantastic Four...somebody stop me!!!

Oh, back to Simonson, his run on Thor was some really real shit, too.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Does anyone here dig Walt Simonson?

those old x-factor covers used to make me drool.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

One name that I haven't seen mentioned is Jim Starlin - He's always been one of my faves. His titles had some commercial success - he worked on Capt. Marvel, Warlock, & Dreadstar. He's been marvel's cosmic dude, & his 70s work was very trippy He's moved over to writing comics in recent years.

Also, Berni Wrightson gets some love. He did Batman: The Cult. I saw that mentioned earlier. His EC shit was nuts. Very slept on.

h

Yo,

One name that I haven't seen mentioned is Jim Starlin - He's always been one of my faves. His titles had some commercial success - he worked on Capt. Marvel, Warlock, & Dreadstar. He's been marvel's cosmic dude, & his 70s work was very trippy He's moved over to writing comics in recent years.

Also, Berni Wrightson gets some love. He did Batman: The Cult. I saw that mentioned earlier. His EC shit was nuts. Very slept on.

h

Tom Orzechowski- best letterer of ALL TIME.

Oh, and SoulOnIce, don't forget Neal Adams' X-Men run in the late 60s, mucho classico. And Walt Simonson's signature is a dinosaur, don't know if any of you missed that!

Can we get a Comic Book Guy emoticon? It might come in handy for other threads too!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    EC shit

Oh yes.

Never even got into the horror ones so much, but ShockSuspenStories and CrimeSuspenStories are my all time favorite shits of ever and evermore...I remember finding cheap reissues of EC titles in the late 70's and early 80's and having my face melted like some nazi bitch...

The EC "MAD" is unfuckwitable too.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i used to love comics, but when they switched to the robot lettering anc coloring and fake anime art in the mid 90's, i checked out... i still read old comics, i'm currently trying to finish my runs on the following:

Miller's Daredevil (160-240)

Kirby's Kamandi: last boy on earth (my fav. comic EVER)

Starlin's original Warlock stuff

Yo, One name that I haven't seen mentioned is Jim Starlin -

This site is beyond comprehensive for Marvel Silver Age goodies:
    http://www.samcci.comics.org/index.html