any COMIC BOOK collectors here?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    GREEN LANTERN is also revived(HAL JORDAN). DONT SLEEP!!!! MISS THE ELEVENTH RETURN OF THIS CHARACTER FROM THE "DEAD" IN THE PAST 12 YEARS!!!!! [/b]

If I have to pick out an all time favorite comic, it would be the 4-issue limited series known as Stray Toasters by Bill Sienkiewicz. I knew of what Sienkiewicz did, with Daredevil primarily and I liked his lettering style, but this was very different. The story was very out there, which is what I liked about it, and every few pages the artwork would be very different. Sometimes very clear, other times very distorted, a few times out of the boxes, and every now and then you'd see texture or objects placed within the frames. When the storyline got ugly, so did the artwork and lettering. It reminded me a bit of Brazil (the Terry Gilliam film), where it was futuristic but with hints of the past. The ads in the back for the toaster came off as a cross between old style advertising and World War II propaganda (one and the same?) It was the first and only time I got geeked out over a comic.

Bill Sienkiewicz

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i used to read a lot in junior high and high school.

my favorites were:
    Batman - the Cult
    Batman - killing joke
    batman - Gothic Storyline
    klaus jansen early punisher issues
    mcfarlane spiderman
    the series where kraven killed spidey

any daredevil stories with bullseye

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The new BLACK PANTHER series is st8 lava. Pencils by John Romita Jr.

Oh shit! John Romita Jr! his punisher used to rule all! I will pick that up for sure.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Bill Sienkiewicz

Oh shit, really? That's the one EPMD album I didn't bother to get.

Bill Sienkiewicz

Dont Sleep

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Yeah that was my favorite actually!

• got a nice collection of 70s undergrounds.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

You have some good taste. Neal Adams was my artistic mentor. I have some original art that I'll post up later.

Grant Morrison is the coolest & weirdest dude you'll ever meet. I on't know why, but the UK turns out some of the best writers: Morrison, Gaiman, Moore, Milligan.

If you want a trip, read Human Target by dc/vertigo.

To answer the Leifield question, I think that dude got overexposed & suffered from fan backlash. In music terms, he went out like Rawkus.

Peace

h

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    Just recently via the new Arthur i came across Jeff Lints magnificent and absolutely mindbending comic called

The Caterer

i hope someone puts out the series in a graphic novel...truly amazing shit fo sure.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    If I have to pick out an all time favorite comic, it would be the 4-issue limited series known as Stray Toasters by Bill Sienkiewicz.

When I was in grade school I was all about Sienkiewicz and his illustrations for The New Mutants.

I used to have an illustrated version of Alfred Bester's classic "The Stars My Destination" that reminded me a lot of his work.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Bill Sienkiewicz

it's their best album...go cop

MARVEL AGAIN
    RICH BUCKLER =
    DEATHLOCK THE DEMOLISHER
    -PURE GENIUS- Predating blade runner et al.

Deathlock First appeared in "Astonishing Tales" in 1974
    Recognize the first Black Cyborg half Human half robot/computer imbedded inside of his inner consciousness/skull CIA project.And he was a Vietnam Vet
    Harder than the fuckerest

[color:red]REAL SHIT [/color]

• or used to collect?

picked up a recent issue of wizard & was wondering wuts going on the world of comics....anybody else wanna get thiere geek on here? wut happened to image & valiant?

yo i got da first issuez

FIRST OFF ALL

Image did their thing for a minute as well as Valient but if your collection is dependant on those titles from those companies, then you dont have shit to sell back to the game. Marvel and DC took their economic and creative blows from the mid 90's "artist controlled" companies. In the end the 40+ year old characters overtook the fandom. Typical expansion downfalls. The new companies overflooded the market w/ alot of "collector/limitededition/deluxe" trash that had readers bamboolzed for about 5 yrs. When then sun finally set, Spawn,Wetworks,Solar,Supreme,Maxx,Youngblood,and many other titles just couldn't sustain the edge.

Its was monumental for the creative side of the game(the ghost of jack Kirby finally getting creative control).

[color:green] [/color] THE FUTURE[/b]

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    When I was in grade school I was all about Sienkiewicz and his illustrations for The New Mutants.

Man, y'all dudes are really taking me back with this comic nerd talk. These are names that I haven't even thought about in YEARS. Bill Sienkiewicz? Neal Adams? For pete's sake, Rich Buckler??? Wow. I used to be all into that sh*t. I forgot about how nice Sienkiewicz's covers were. In my era, it was him, Frank Miller and Steranko (as well as the great King Kirby in his prime) who used to do some of the nicest covers.
    In the early 80's, John Byrne (X-Men, Alpha Flight etc.) and George Perez (Teen Titans) had the game on lock for a minute, but have they kinda been forgotten by comic fans today? Not that I'm up on the scene much anymore, but I don't hear people reminiscing about them as much as I hear about other dudes from back in the days.

I use to love Perez's Starfire and Byrne's Ororo.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    If I have to pick out an all time favorite comic, it would be the 4-issue limited series known as Stray Toasters by Bill Sienkiewicz.

I used to have an illustrated version of Alfred Bester's classic "The Stars My Destination" that reminded me a lot of his work.

yo!!!! Im not a huge comic dude or anything, but that sienkiewicz shit is sick!!! I would like a poster of some of that shit.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

FYI, Jim Aparo, long time dc penciller, passed away this week. Some might not know the name, but you'd recognize his pencils. His work on Batman in the 70s' was as important/influential as Neal Adams'. Remember the death of robin storyline? Aparo did the pencils.

RIP

Yo,

FYI, Jim Aparo, long time dc penciller, passed away this week. Some might not know the name, but you'd recognize his pencils. His work on Batman in the 70s' was as important/influential as Neal Adams'. Remember the death of robin storyline? Aparo did the pencils.

RIP

Damn, Aparo has an important run on Batman comics. He was one of the definitive Bat-pencillers. He will be sorely missed. RIP

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

yo!!!! Im not a huge comic dude or anything, but that sienkiewicz shit is sick!!! I would like a poster of some of that shit.

i remember those! i was never into mutant books for some reason, but those covers are cooooel.

whoever said grant morrison,.....support that! dope writer

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Yo,

RIP

Damn, Aparo has an important run on Batman comics. He was one of the definitive Bat-pencillers. He will be sorely missed. RIP

Seriously, I used to love his Batman best after Neal Adams', and I dug Gene Nolan's work on the Brave and the Bold in the 80s. Like Phil said, y'all are taking me WAY back. Seriously Zigzag, Rich Buckler and Deathlok is digging deep.

And Phil, I used to have a bunch of autographed John Byrne X-men's from the apex of the run, the whole Dark Phoenix/Days of Future Past sagas. Sold them all in the mid-90s.I was a huge Byrne fan and a big Perez buff too. His Avengers and Teen Titans were the shit.

• for who asked, Barry Windsor Smith did weapon x

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    for who asked, Barry Windsor Smith did weapon x

Dude's work on Conan was dope.

Also John Buscema - His Silver Surfer was tops.

Yo,

RIP

I never liked his work much. I remember he was doing Batman right up until Batman #500 when they had this big "breaking of the Bat" saga wherein some character named Azrael took offer his role after Bane broke Bruce Wayne's back. Of course I was all about the Image guys at the time.

Still, regardless of my opinion he was an old schooler in the comic game.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

RIP

I never liked his work much. I remember he was doing Batman right up until Batman #500 when they had this big "breaking of the Bat" saga wherein some character named Azrael took offer his role after Bane broke Bruce Wayne's back. Of course I was all about the Image guys at the time.

Still, regardless of my opinion he was an old schooler in the comic game.

His nicest work came out of the 70s & early 80s. I'd sometimes confuse his work of that period with Adams'. I think he did a nice run on The Specter & Phantom Stranger.

Peace

h

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Bill Sienkiewicz.
    ...my all time favorite. too bad hollywood got ahold of it.

Bill Sienkiewicz.
    ...my all time favorite. too bad hollywood got ahold of it.

That cover is baller!

Sidenote: I saw Daredevil for the first time a few days ago. Wretchly bad. Saw iRobot yesterday. Even worse.