I got laid off today.

Comments

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Due to budget cuts, my position was eliminated. C'est la guerre. I've been looking to switch jobs for a while now, but it's not the greatest time to be on the hunt. At least I got a little severance and had a ton of vacation time accrued.
    b, 21
    b, 21Any Bay folks need a copywriter/translator/editor, plaese holler.
    b, 21
    b, 21[/hoggblogg]
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yo... apologies for my part in the parodies. definitely nagl. got a little too SS with it, which i usually don't even get involved with. keep your head up and good luck finding a new gig img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/word3rp.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Due to budget cuts, my position was eliminated. C'est la guerre. I've been looking to switch jobs for a while now, but it's not the greatest time to be on the hunt. At least I got a little severance and had a ton of vacation time accrued.
    b, 21
    b, 21Any Bay folks need a copywriter/translator/editor, plaese holler.
    b, 21
    b, 21[/hoggblogg]
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21yo... apologies for my part in the parodies. definitely nagl. got a little too SS with it, which i usually don't even get involved with. keep your head up and good luck finding a new gig
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/word3rp.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Life of crime time.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    That sucks man, i have been in that position and it is bullshit.b, 21b, 21Keep ya head up man.

• Damn, sorry to hear it Ross. We should get up soon, maybe we can talk about some 'side husslin' while you scout for a new spot...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Damn, sorry to hear it Ross. We should get up soon, maybe we can talk about some 'side husslin' while you scout for a new spot...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Slump & Grind 3 coming soon!!!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Time to get the DJ hussle in full effect. Corporate christmas party time?

• Ross, sorry to hear this. b, 21b, 21b, 21When I was looking for a job, Ross not only offered some leads, but he got me an interview at his workplace. Seriously one of the nicest, most helpful guys on this board. Ross you've got some major job search karma coming your way. I hope you end up with something good soon. b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21ROWSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Time to get the DJ hussle in full effect. Corporate christmas party time?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Problem is, Corporate spending is down sharply!

• Damn R***... I didn't see this thread. Sorry to hear this, and good luck.b, 21They just cut 92 people at my job this Tuesday (after more than 200 earlier this year, and more projected after the first quarter of '09).

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Damn R***... I didn't see this thread. Sorry to hear this, and good luck.
    b, 21They just cut 92 people at my job this Tuesday (after more than 200 earlier this year, and more projected after the first quarter of '09).
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Keep your head down, L***y!

• Sorry to hear about this also. Good things do happen to good folks, so I'm sure an opportunity is on its way.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21They just cut 92 people at my job this Tuesday (after more than 200 earlier this year, and more projected after the first quarter of '09).
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Keep your head down, L***y!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21No sh*t, C****! This is not a good time to work at a newspaper. I was fortunate (sort of) that the department I work in has been taking on extra work fairly consistently (they seem to be consolidating the other papers in our "group" at our location), and the job I do is VERY specialized and takes months of training.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Keep your head down, L***y!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21No sh*t, C****! This is not a good time to work at a newspaper. I was fortunate (sort of) that the department I work in has been taking on extra work fairly consistently (they seem to be consolidating the other papers in our "group" at our location), and the job I do is VERY specialized and takes months of training.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, at my association there is mostly worry that big members may consolidate and that means dues (the money that runs the business) gets lost. Just how things go, but we have been consistently whittling down staff for the last 3 years. Nothing ever too drastic, mostly not replacing folks when they leave for other jobs/opportunities. In this environment people are happy to do the jobs of what used to be 2 or 3 staffers, as long as it means staying afloat.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    BUMP.

After 6+ months of searching and sending out 90 resumes, I got a (really killer) job today.

Good luck to the rest of my unemployed Strutters. It's rough out there, but things are picking up.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    whatdja get?

congratulations homie!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Jizz mop-related?

Just joking. Congrats!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hurrah! I am glad (hope!) it was worth the wait and stress. Congratulations and nothing but the best and most success for you!

• BUMP.

After 6+ months of searching and sending out 90 resumes, I got a (really killer) job today.

Good luck to the rest of my unemployed Strutters. It's rough out there, but things are picking up.

Congrats R*ss!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Damn it's taking people half a year to find a new job! I'm trying to switch careers so you would think since I'm employed it would be a little easier. Hell no!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I got a (really killer) job today.

Really killer? Ummm...you aren't a hitman now, are you? And if you are...I haven't done anything to piss you off lately, have I?

For real, though, congrats, dude.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Congrats homie.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Congrats! All the best!!!!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    BUMP.

congrats !

Wife just got axed today....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    sorry to hear that ed

felicitationes al hoggueton

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    congrats
    such a great feeling

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Congrats!!

On my end I got a great job a few weeks ago, and had a busy week between the two. I totally read the schedule wrong and didn't show last night as I was at my other job.

I'm kinda a perfectionist(need to let that go) and feel like a f*ck up. They said it was fine and that all new people do that at least once. They were just more worried about me.

Man, I just don't want to look like "that person".

DAMN

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    whoa that was in regards to the guy who got hired not the dude whose wife lost her job.
    i troll here but not that way.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    zbout to say.

congrats Rawss, best to your wife ed_powers..

• Options
    BUMP.

I'm really happy for you. I have been out of work since May 1st and it has been very rough for me. I have never been without work before, and no one is hiring in my sector atm.

I can only imagine what 6+ months would feel like...I would be an absolute wreck, so my heartfelt congrats to you for getting back in, AND a killer job to boot.

I hope to receive some good news of my own soon. I have been volunteering full time with an arts organization while looking to continue my career.

Cheers and good luck to you and other strutters trying to get back to work.