I got laid off today.

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Due to budget cuts, my position was eliminated. C'est la guerre. I've been looking to switch jobs for a while now, but it's not the greatest time to be on the hunt. At least I got a little severance and had a ton of vacation time accrued.b, 21b, 21Any Bay folks need a copywriter/translator/editor, plaese holler.b, 21b, 21[/hoggblogg]

Comments

• do you.. notarize?b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21sorry to hear dood. you want a gig out here? let's rock it, i got some ho's in the lobby.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    That sucks...right before the holidays. I'm sure you'll be back with the vengeance. Happy hunting.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Due to budget cuts, my position was eliminated. C'est la guerre. I've been looking to switch jobs for a while now, but it's not the greatest time to be on the hunt. At least I got a little severance and had a ton of vacation time accrued.
    b, 21
    b, 21Any Bay folks need a copywriter/translator/editor, plaese holler.
    b, 21
    b, 21[/hoggblogg]
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21damn, dude. well from what we talked about it didnt look like shit would be going to well with the company.b, 21b, 21HEADS HIGH

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Damn...sorry to hear it, Mr. Hawg.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm out in 2 weeks. Gonna be a lean holiday...

• Good luck. Hopefully this will lead to something better. When I got laid off I figured out how to work for myself, and besides being uninsured, this has been the best 2 years of my life work wise. If you have a child that may not be an option. Anyway, stay up. 1 door closed is an infinite amount of doors open.

• Times are tough. I'm still looking for work and my homegirl Vikki from ATL was DJing here in LA and she had just gotten laid off too. Hard for me to sympathize though; she got SIX MONTHS severance pay!b, 21b, 21Hang in there man and just think it's a great time to get your eBay/partying during the week/sleep until 1pm game on.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what's the hell? your company hates intelligent, hard-working, fiiiiyyyyne men with amazing senses of humour? their loss and you will RULE in whatever you choose to do next.b, 21b, 21b, 21(I totally cosign the working for yourself suggestion - hard as hell, but every bit is for you and yours, not them and theirs)

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Dude!!! that is WIDDACK. bad timing indeed, ugh. I'll holler if I hear anything from my bay homies.

• Sorry to hear. One year ago tomorrow I got laid off from my former square gig. Consequently, 2008 has been a great year.b, 21b, 21Best of luck in yr future endeavors.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Wow, that sucks homie. Sorry to hear it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    god damn man, that's terrible. hope everything works out, you know you'll bounce back

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    welcome to the world of the unemployed - ive been hunting for a couple months now

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 ive been hunting for a couple months now
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yup.b, 21this would be great if it wasn't so fusking boring.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Good luck. Hopefully this will lead to something better. When I got laid off I figured out how to work for myself, and besides being uninsured, this has been the best 2 years of my life work wise.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21bluecross/blueshield has a plan called simply blue, that gives pretty good coverage for less than $100 a month. not sure if its only in MN though....b, 21b, 21anyway, sorry to hear it. i've been laidoff for 7 months now. djing was paying the bills but now even some of the places i play are cutting back and canceling nights they've had for years! just filed for unemployment and not happy about it.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Damn..I am so sorry to hear that. It is tough, but you will persevere!b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Look for an independent insurance broker. Healthnet's Quicknet program is only about $150 for the first 6 months, great program if you only need coverage for a limited period of time. After that it's only $1 a day or so. Beats the pants off Kaiser and crap if you are fairly healthy.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Damn! Sorry to hear that, man. Have faith that you will be back, stronger, on the other side of this.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I'm afraid its going to happen to me as well. Lots of newspapers are laying off employees. Hoever, I work for a small "niche" newspaper so hopefully things will be good.

• Thanks for the kind words (and insurance tips!). One good thing: my former employer is extending my insurance coverage through the end of January, so I have some time.b, 21b, 21And I have a meeting about a freelance gig Monday evening--I am not wasting any time here.b, 21b, 21To my fellow jobhunters: it is indeed rough right now. I've applied for 22 jobs in the past two months.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Thanks for the kind words (and insurance tips!). One good thing: my former employer is extending my insurance coverage through the end of January, so I have some time.
    b, 21
    b, 21And I have a meeting about a freelance gig Monday evening--I am not wasting any time here.
    b, 21
    b, 21To my fellow jobhunters: it is indeed rough right now. I've applied for 22 jobs in the past two months.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yes it is hard, and I have lost count of how many I have applied to. It can be so easy to just give up. But for me, everyday I walk into work, I go on the search.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Hold yr head, Hogg, that job was widdack and this is your chance to shine.b, 21b, 21Plus, can't you jump on Mrs. Hogg's insurance or no?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Good luck, Ross, really sorry to hear you are getting caught in this unfortunate vortex. One of my best friends at my job was let go last month for budget reasons...this recession sucks ass.b, 21b, 21Stay optimistic, stay on the sunny side of life in the meantime, as best you can. We have faith in you!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Good luck, man.b, 21b, 21Sorry about all of the parody threads.

• sorry to hear this mr. fogg.b, 21b, 21semi related note here:b, 21b, 21anyone here work in Publicity, in Sf?

• I know this doesn't really help at all, but at least you're not the only one:b, 21b, 21a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081204/bs_nm/us_att" target="_blank"1http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081204/bs_nm/us_att/a1b, 21b, 21c'est la guerre indeed.b, 21b, 21bonus beat article:b, 21b, 21a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081204/ap_on_re_us/proposal_death" target="_blank"1http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081204/ap_on_re_us/proposal_death/a1

• I'm surprised we haven't seen more of these threads...b, 21b, 21Anyway, stay up, man. It's hard out there, but for a man with the talent that eveyone sees in you on here, I'm sure there's only better work out there.b, 21b, 21To everyone caught up in the maelstrom of the economy on here, you're in the thoughts and secular prayers.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I guess if you're a big enough name on SS, it's cool to satire someone's hard times.b, 21b, 21Bad looks abound.

• That sucks Ross. I'm sorry. We just hired a copy editor in my dept too. I'll keep an ear out my work. For some reason we are lead fiscally and always seem to be hiring, maybe because it's not-for-profit. Or maybe because everyone needs health care no matter how crummy the economy is.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21welcome to the world of the unemployed - ive been hunting for a couple months now
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Sorry to hear about all you cats losing your work.... just wondering, whats the options/situation with being unemployed in US? I've never really figured out who it works over there, but have been told its only for a short amount of time? 6mth? Do you get any job agency/placement support, job seeker contracts etc?