Producing: Stoned vs Straight?

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited July 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
What's the verdict?I'm pretty ripped right now, and I had to stop working on a little mix because I was worried I had lost my inner sense of wack.But sometimes sober, I'm just uninspired. Not, "into it", as much.I'm about to embark on a little ganja vacation and stop smoking for a while. I think I'll end up being more productive, um, production-wise.Discuss.

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    When I listen to someone's beats, their sexual preference is not something I'm thinking about (unless it's trend-following-hipster-fag-pre-modern-soul-post-progressive disco loft house, of course)

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    ako's (M.I.A.) right...that Lil' Jon graemlin does look like a talking spider with a baseball cap

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    y'all need to stop smoking that weed. I wish there was a drug in between pot and speed -- reality?????????????????????????????????????????????!

• edubedub 715 Posts

I'm pretty ripped right now, and I had to stop working on a little mix because I was worried I had lost my inner sense of wack.

But sometimes sober, I'm just uninspired. Not, "into it", as much.

I'm about to embark on a little ganja vacation and stop smoking for a while. I think I'll end up being more productive, um, production-wise.

you lost me, dude...

I'm pretty ripped right now, and I had to stop working on a little mix because I was worried I had lost my inner sense of wack.

But sometimes sober, I'm just uninspired. Not, "into it", as much.

I'm about to embark on a little ganja vacation and stop smoking for a while. I think I'll end up being more productive, um, production-wise.

you lost me, dude...

Come on... just follow it through. I was working on some music, but realised that I wasn't really happy with what was coming out of it. However, there are other times where I'm not really in the mood to work on music, and I smoke a bowl and just zone out and do some real productive work for like an hour straight.

I have trouble being moderate though, that's all. So I'm taking a break. Hoping that I'll be a bit more productive.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I come up with the ideas and inspiration when I'm blitzed and note that shit down so I can go to work on it when I'm straight.

Come on... just follow it through. I was working on some music, but realised that I wasn't really happy with what was coming out of it. However, there are other times where I'm not really in the mood to work on music, and I smoke a bowl and just zone out and do some real productive work for like an hour straight.

I have trouble being moderate though, that's all. So I'm taking a break. Hoping that I'll be a bit more productive.

you gotta take a real long break to really get into sober mode. Cause your brain wiring changes and that takes time. Until then, you'll just think of ways to trick yourself into getting some pot. I took about a six month break last year. Never felt so smart or unhappy.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I don??t produce stoned, simply because it doesn??t work. I get all sick from watching the screen and focusing on all the little details. Plus my attention shifts so fast, and ideas explode to such a degree I??ve planned the entire beat out and started on a new one in my head before I??ve even turned on the computer.

I DO like to PLAY music when stoned though. I play bass-guitar, and it feels good to play it when I??m tripping.

But nah, can??t mess with computers and stuff when high.

- J

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I get ideas when stoned and but to put them into action I have be ...less stoned...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    IM ALWAYS STONED, so whether im producing or not, thats whats up.

What's the verdict?
    I'm about to embark on a little ganja vacation and stop smoking for a while.

my girl and i have been saying this for a looooong time, well atleast all summer, then something comes up....

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    typically i like to start a session straight.. when i start to lag / fatigue / hit the wall i take a breather and roll one up... and then it's like part 2. come back and you can aprreciate the work from another angle.

that said my consumption has really gone way down over the last month...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The way things are going for me, maybe I should start a drug habit of some sort.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    What kind of ideas do you get anyway? The only ideas I get are of the "those drums might work with that sample" variety. To me, beatmaking is really "ideas" only when I'm actually working on something.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    y'all need to stop smoking that weed. I wish there was a drug in between pot and speed -- reality?????????????????????????????????????????????!

you might be talking about a poor mans speedball:

xanax and strong coffee at the same time.

• Don't you know marijuana causes serious delierium?

"our shit is high music"

in short you're not the rza, make beats sober, need some motivation? okay the worlds in a state of chaos, global disasters are happening on every psysiological level possible, babys dying, mothers cryin' annnnnndd go!

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    If your high and make something and its corny, its you, not the weed.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Never felt so smart or unhappy.

"try acid Ray"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I can't beleive fokls have actually convinced themselves that weed makes them more creative. Shit slows down your reaction time and makes you relaxed and hungry.

I smoke a whole lot but I know that I ain't smoking to get better at making music, I'm puffin so I can finish this whole pizza and listen to this Ann Peebles the way I like to hear it.

If you using that drug as a creative crutch than you got some serious issues

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Cosign to a certain extent. One should check oneself when one HAS to smoke to be creative.... or do ANYTHING, for that matter. I smoke to chill out and experience things in an alternative way, get new viewpoints and such, but I don??t really like to make beats while stoned, even if it is... interesting.

- J

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    my neck hurts when i get too stoned making beats.

• every mixtape/cd ive ever made ive been stoned. i prefer making them while stoned, i prefer listening to music while stoned too. been that way for 15 years and i doubt its gonna change anytime soon. i even made this one little mix where i was out of my mind on opium as i wanted to have something to remember that trip by. to be honest i dont usually feel like working on mixes if i dont have any smoke. i got to have something to do while the records are mixing in!

i get high everyday, but you know what, i take care of my business.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    My rule: I generally do drums first. Get them on time and your home free from there. Enter Bob Marley orbit!

And what Guzzo said.

I can't beleive fokls have actually convinced themselves that weed makes them more creative. Shit slows down your reaction time and makes you relaxed and hungry.

I smoke a whole lot but I know that I ain't smoking to get better at making music, I'm puffin so I can finish this whole pizza and listen to this Ann Peebles the way I like to hear it.

Yeah I feel you. I don't rely on weed to get ideas or anything... it just puts me in the mood to work on music. I'm pretty sure I suffer from some sort of attention deficit disorder, and getting high allows me do direct all my energy into one place - be in music, cleaning, whatever. I can work just fine without it, but I tend to get high a lot anyways, and then when I get high I want to work on music... which results in me working on music high fairly often.

I agree that when the drug becomes a crutch, and you can't work without it, then it's a problem.

I do have a problem with people knocking the connection between drugs and creativity though. Drugs are all about changing your perspective, and I think being creative is closely related. For me, the drugs are more of a way to break down my own self-censorship. I'm highly critical of my own ideas, but when I'm high I just run with them. Sometimes the results are great, sometimes they're not.

I just don't think drugs are a black and white thing... too much is bad, but a little bit doesn't hurt.

• I can't beleive fokls have actually convinced themselves that weed makes them more creative. Shit slows down your reaction time and makes you relaxed and hungry.

I disagree, do whatever you feel allows you to be the most creative you can possibly be...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i would take a drug to feel sober

drugs are not productive for me...oh i love this frank zappa quote;

"people take drugs as a license to act like azzholes"

word is bond, do what u gotta do, but dont brag about smoking blunts like you've discovered fire, i always hate sheit like "damn he must have been high to make a song/movie/book like that". that is an insult. you're attributing peoples talents to synthetic sheit(ok organic in some cases but...) and deameaning their brains. give the brains credit.

the definitive word:
    drugs are for the listeners.

but then again, everyone drugs themselves in one way or another.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I disagree, do whatever you feel allows you to be the most creative you can possibly be...

werd ,why judge when many so dope beats had been made lifted and will always be made lifted.
    the 2 are part and parcel of hip hop production

bluntman and chronic

so you people beleive that it can only help?

trust me a whole lot of fools beleived that too...and you ain't ever heard of them.

Like I said I am pro-drugs but I am not for trying to justify it as a means to make better music.

talent lies within ones person not within a pipe

• I can't beleive fokls have actually convinced themselves that weed makes them more creative. Shit slows down your reaction time and makes you relaxed and hungry.

werd ,why judge when many so dope beats had been made lifted and will always be made lifted.

bluntman and chronic

trust me a whole lot of fools beleived that too...and you ain't ever heard of them.

Like I said I am pro-drugs but I am not for trying to justify it as a means to make better music.

i disagree, a lot of greatest music ever was made due to artists being at a point in their lives where they were dependent on drugs, alcohol etc...

bluntman and chronic

i disagree, a lot of greatest music ever was made due to artists being at a point in their lives where they were dependent on drugs, alcohol etc...

I think that's more to do with their situation, not drug use.

Don't want to come off like I'm some sort of super pro-drugs dude. They have their benefits and their drawbacks. Problem is a lot of the time the drawbacks can slowly begin to eclipse the benefits, without the user really noticing. That's the danger.

but then again, everyone drugs themselves in one way or another.
    REAL TALK