RIDE OR DIE!!! (A Confessional...)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
This isn't to be confused with the quarterly "Guilty Pleasures" threads that come around every once in a while.b, 21b, 21This is more on some, what are you REALLY f*cking WITH, what do you ride or die for, despite what other people think or say. What's one thing that you F*ck with ungodly that other people might look at you sideways for? It's okay, I'll go first.b, 21b, 21I RIDE OR DIE for everything, basically the entire catalog and existence of FRANKIE VALLI & THE FOUR SEASONS.b, 21b, 21I don't know what it is. My mom never really played this shit in the crib growing up, so I don't really know the connection. But all I know is every time I hear them start rocking the jams it's just my number 1 shit. Seriously I had iTunes shuffle on and "Grease" came on and I have must have rewound it 17 times already. My shit. Straight.b, 21b, 21Don't even get me started on that OG shit like "Rag Doll" oh my god that shit is so ill.b, 21b, 21And you know what, nobody can tell me differently that Frankie and the boys ain't the shit. I mean, the entire career. Some bad motherfuckers.b, 21b, 21Has anyone seen the stage show "Jersey Boys" yet? I really want to see it.b, 21b, 21So yeah, that's what's up.b, 21b, 21Now, you - name ONE THING that you RIDE OR DIE for no matter what.

Comments

• I RIDE OR DIE for the "Sound of Music."b, 21b, 21Unironically and all... I was in it when I was 9 years old, and it changed my life. I got to love performing, and it taught me a lot about myself and who I'd become.b, 21b, 21Even now, I love the music. From 'The Lonely Goatherd,' to 'Adelweisse'. Hell, Coltrane knew what was up when he covered, 'My Favorite Things'.b, 21b, 21I love a lot of old musicals (I was in, and know, most of them) but, the sage of the Von Trapp family is THE one I RIDE OR DIE for.

• Wilding. But yo - RIDE OR DIE, mannnn...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Ride or die for the rock group: Journeyb, 21b, 21b, 21Love them.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 (A Confessional...) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Makes me feel like it needs to be embarrassing/uncool.b, 21b, 21So I'll say Jimmy Buffet. Mom's had that and Van Morrison on ALL DAY URRAY DAY. Van is cool, but Buffet is well..

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 (A Confessional...) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Makes me feel like it needs to be embarrassing/uncool.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I figured that was the 'confessional,' aspect of it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21This isn't to be confused with the quarterly "Guilty Pleasures" threads that come around every once in a while.b, 21b, 21This is more on some, what are you REALLY f*cking WITH, what do you ride or die for, despite what other people think or say. What's one thing that you F*ck with ungodly that other people might look at you sideways for? It's okay, I'll go first.b, 21b, 21I RIDE OR DIE for everything, basically the entire catalog and existence of FRANKIE VALLI & THE FOUR SEASONS.b, 21b, 21I don't know what it is. My mom never really played this shit in the crib growing up, so I don't really know the connection. But all I know is every time I hear them start rocking the jams it's just my number 1 shit. Seriously I had iTunes shuffle on and "Grease" came on and I have must have rewound it 17 times already. My shit. Straight.b, 21b, 21Don't even get me started on that OG shit like "Rag Doll" oh my god that shit is so ill.b, 21b, 21And you know what, nobody can tell me differently that Frankie and the boys ain't the shit. I mean, the entire career. Some bad motherfuckers.b, 21b, 21Has anyone seen the stage show "Jersey Boys" yet? I really want to see it.b, 21b, 21So yeah, that's what's up.b, 21b, 21Now, you - name ONE THING that you RIDE OR DIE for no matter what. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Wow, I would not have picked this from you. But those early jams are gold for sure.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Ride or die for the rock group: Journeyb, 21b, 21b, 21Love them. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21SF loves this band also.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    First record I ever purchased was a 45 of "Sherry".b, 21b, 21Four Seasons were all you heard in Brooklyn circa early 60's.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't think this was meant to be musicals thread, but I'll just follow suit and say I co-sign Sound of Music - I am not even going near the stage shows, there's only one Maria and Captain Von Trapp for me.b, 21I'll also co-sign Grease - other than Hopelessly Devoted To You, every song is AMAZING.b, 21Easter Parade - Yes.b, 21Wizard of Oz - Yes.b, 21Porgy and Bess - Yes.b, 21Hair - Yes.b, 21Fame - Hell Yes.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21#1 - Can watch it non-stop, don't care who knows it:b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21 b, 21Singin in the Rainb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21West Side Story and Showboat can bite a fart.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I ride for AC/DC. I've been coming in contact with a lot of hatt for them in recent years and I don't get it. b, 21b, 21My coworker is this angst-metal SystemOfADownMyChemicalRomance dude who fronts on a lot of classic rock. He's all, and I paraphrase, "AC/DC....it has no point to it!" b, 21b, 21what? the point is rocking the F*ck out! Metal and hard rock doesn't need to have all these deep, emo lyrics. It just needs to rock hard. Anything else is gravy. b, 21b, 21If you don't like it, you don't like it. That's fine. But don't be a hard rock/metal fan and try to front that the shit's stupid. b, 21b, 21Don't look for a point. Just be a badass along with them for three minutes and shut up.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Ahh man West Side Story is the shit...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i ride for Anthraxb, 21b, 21always haveb, 21b, 21always will!

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    I once played percussion for West Side Story in high school. All I can say was the bongo/knife fight scene was ill. I'll always love that play.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I ride for AC/DC. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Til I die.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21West Side Story can bite a fart. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21F*ck THAT.b, 21b, 21Agree on 'Singin' in the Rain.' b, 21b, 21And, yes, we're talking movie versions on most all of these. So, I'll throw in b, 21'Guys And Dolls'. The dancing in the craps game scene KILLS.

• Insane Clown Posse!!! Psychopathic Records in general actually

West Side Story is dope, if you can't get with that you need to post it in the confessions thread, awesome blending of the musical, classical & jazz sensibilities. b, 21b, 21I too ride for Anthrax.b, 21b, 21Add Jesus Christ Superstar to the mix, that shit rocks.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I loved, and still do love, Fun Lovin' Criminals.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Dude on the right is totally doing the douchebag lip purse right there.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21#1 - Can watch it non-stop, don't care who knows it:b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21 b, 21Singin in the Rainb, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21I'll co-signb, 21b, 21I always find that Moses Supposes routine amazing.b, 21b, 21The fact that Debbie Reynolds was not a dancer at the time also kinda blows my mind. But I guess that's what happens when Fred Astaire finds you cryin' and offers to teach ya a few things...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lol - I'm glad it makes you guys happy- but I cannot get with it at all. The whole thing makes me cringe.b, 21b, 21Oh yea! Victor/Victoria!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 So, I'll throw in b, 21'Guys And Dolls'. The dancing in the craps game scene KILLS. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I played in the pit orchestra for this back in high school. It's fun, challenging music.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I don't really fux with musicals, although I will acknowledge that from the classic musicals has sprung a majority of the Modern American Songbook of classic material. So many great tunes that stand tall even outside their theatrical context. b, 21b, 21b, 21Also, I'm taking issue with the term "ride" here again. To me, it connotes a willingness to defend. There's plenty of questionable shit I like that I will let people savage until they're exhausted. Dudn't matter. I still like it. b, 21b, 21In that latter category I will place the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Shit on them all you like, I will be rocking everything between Freaky Styley and Blood Sugar Sex Magik forever and ever.

• MARCY PLAYGROUND. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21WHAT?!?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21West Side Story is dope, if you can't get with that you need to post it in the confessions thread, awesome blending of the musical, classical & jazz sensibilities. b, 21b, 21I too ride for Anthrax.b, 21b, 21Add Jesus Christ Superstar to the mix, that shit rocks. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Feeling this post, cause it has West Side Story, Anthrax and Jesus Christ Superstar.b, 21b, 21b, 21For me, it would have to be Paul Simon I guess. And 'It Was Written'.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ss.gif" alt="" 21

• I started a Frankie Valli appreciation thread a few months back and Im pretty sure it got the crickets. But yeah, I agree with what Cosmo says. b, 21b, 21My ride-or-dies are never secrets, so most of you know that when it comes to (animated) Disney and Pixar movies and musicals, I'm down til the wheels fall off. Jungle Book, Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin.....I sing along with pride! (Not to be confused with [i]pride/I>.)

• I ride for Gin Blossoms "New Miserable Experience" only.b, 21When i was thirteen it was that shit. Makes me want to drink Slurpees and play pinball at the 7-11 down the street.

• U2's "zooropa." i love it. i have since the first time i heard it. it's to the point where i have these completely irrational "how can you not LOVE 'zooropa'" moments. sometimes i secretly think to myself, "'lemon' is the best song ever!"

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21Singin in the Rainb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21My favorite is the end of the number when they decorate the voice coach with all the crap in the room, pull down the "Vowel A" poster and sound out "AYYYYYYYY!!" as the last note of the number. Such a brilliant and hilarious movie. Donald O' Connor f*cking rules

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I RIDE unapologetically hard for Tool, especially the Aenima album from '96. Their sound was so mercilessly deep, dark, and complex. I used to lay down on the last seat at the back of the bus on the way to school in the middle of the winter blasting it in headphones, imagining that at any point the whole thing would blow up in flames and the emergency door at the back would burst open and we would all fly out, slamming in slow motion onto the hoods of trailing cars, in time to the slashing, stuttering gusts of rhythm.b, 21b, 21I could have sworn it was just a bunch of grinding machines making that music. My private mind garden was quite disturbed when I saw the actual band members on the cover of some guitar magazine years later.b, 21b, 21Luckily enough, someone has this album shared in their iTunes at work, so I'm gettin' took back right now.b, 21b, 21b, 21"GOOD BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY..."

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    DJ Magic Mike.b, 21b, 21Let the hatting and clon commence.