A really good (or great) 80's Jazz Record?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Damnit why have I had almost every record in this thread except for the one I actually want.

• Adele Sebastian - Desert Fairy Princess

Waxpoetics says it's from 1981 but Orgy in Rhythm offers a download of this and they say it's from the late 70's

Either way it's great.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

[splitting hairs]
    Doesn't count as it is a re-packaging of a Trident release from the 70s.
    Micheal Gregory Jackson "Gifts" also misses the boat ('79), but it is a good record.
    [/splitting hairs]

This is a beautiful end-to-end listen from '81:

Ethnic Heritage Ensemble "Three Gentlemen From Chicago"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wynton is great btw

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I thought so does not sound like a 80s recording.... so what does the Trident cover look like?

• Shamek Farrah & Folks - La Dee La La (Ra Records)

Kamal & The Brothers - Brotherhood - or am I just imagining this one to be 80s, can't find my copy right now. There were several pressings, maybe that's it.

Quintessence - Sonoma Rag - from 1980, so it makes the cut!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

for such a great musician, he sure does have a huge, turdly and just plain boring discography. i really tried too. i've hear d almost all of them . this is the only one i kept:

I remember J Mood being decent too. that Majesty of the Blues record is terrible. Jeff Tain Watts is incredible. Marsalis was supposed to do what for jazz? i'm still waiting.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    wow. i just bought this but didn't have the time to listen to it. i'm keeping my fingers crossed. my stereo is broke. what kind of jazz is it?

Easily one the best jazz trumpeters/composers alive.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Randy Weston recorded all three of these brilliant sides in a three day period in 1989 -- I actually prefer many of Weston's late-80s through the present recordings to his more 'classic' sessions from Jazz's heyday. He has never stopped advancing.

Portaits of Monk

Yes! That Monk CD is incredible.

I will break from Fatback on Marsalis on this: Wynton Marsalis has a GREAT jazz Christmas record, but that's about as far as I go with him. He just bugs me

The opening track ("Well, You Needn't") has become a staple of my Friday night soul jazz sets, so funky and lively, I was floored the first time I heard it.

• Khan Jamal- Infinity (and some other titles)

Nice to see Ethnic Heritage Ensemble. I don't have that one, but I saw them play here earlier this year and it was ridiculously good. Like life-alteringly good.

I should fall back a little. I do not think he sucks. I find him extremely unremarkable. It seems strange that, among all of those recordings, despite technical proficiency, he remains completely unremarkable as a composer and improviser. I like that he is outspoken and steadfast in his opinions. I find him to be very funny, knowledgeable and engaging in interviews (i.e., those Burns things) and I admire his success. But in the end, most of his recordings are pedestrian.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

featuring khan jamal
    love this album

Ch**s,

Remember 2nd Story had all those signed Marsalis records in their dollar bin for like 5 years? I bet they are still there.

I think Steeplechase is a great, yet underrated, label. Excellent sound quality. I'm also a big NHOP fanboy.

I would go check, but I can't find the enthusiasm to look for a Wynton LP even for research purposes. It's too much effort.

I think Steeplechase is a great, yet underrated, label. Excellent sound quality. I'm also a big NHOP fanboy.

h, 21

DC native Buck Hill had some good records on Steeplechase into the 80s.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i bought khan jamal lp once. it's called thinking of you. it was the only record i decided to buy at a record store with many 80s jazz lps. i never really listened to it though. but it was the best record in the whole box.

• Oh, sorry. I didn't see that you specified 80s.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I really, really didn't want to give Marsalis any shine until I heard this:

As much as it pains me to say it, he plays great trumpet on this. First time I heard it I couldn't believe it was him. Properly played like he means it.

The cnut.

Still dumb after all these years.

• Just becuz iM dum duznt meen I dont hav feelings!

• Here are a few I've been listening to lately..

Abdul Zahir Batin and the Notorious Ensemble "Live at the Jazz Cultural Theater" (couldn't find an image)