Palin comes out smelling like roses

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
With Stevens holding onto his seat but almost assuredly being kept out after his conviction, there will be a runoff in AK and Sarah would crazy not to run against Begich. Incredible that Barbie is going to get a promotion.

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Don't Governors usually get to pick the ex-senator/reps replacement? Wouldn't she rather use her power to pick as opposed to try to slide in his place?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's not even certain Stevens is going to win yet. And there wouldn't be a run-off. From what I understand (and someone please fact-check me), if the Senate refuses to seat him, it'd actually be up to Palin to appoint his replacement. b, 21b, 21Politically speaking, it'd be img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nagl2.gif" alt="" 21 for her to appoint herself. That just would seem like a naked power grab that's unlikely to enamor herself to anyone, INCLUDING Alaska's voters. b, 21b, 21Of course, Palin could make a run for the Senate when the opening legitimately opens up but throwing her own hat in the ring isn't going to play well.

• Maybe she'll pick Todd, he does have a flashy new wardrobe.

• I like Tina Fey's idea. White Oprah. It's a nice analogue to black president.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If he wins, he will be expelled. There will then be a special election.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    from the NYT -
    Stevens, 84, would also have to resign for there to be a special election. He could possibly do so if he loses his appeals in court or if he is threatened with a vote of expulsion by the Senate.

Palin does not pick his successor (if there is one).

That's what I heard.

Each state does it differently. Alaska holds a special election. Good chance she would run.

Stevens has to win first.

If he wins, he will be expelled. There will then be a special election.

I'm not even sure the senate will have the balls to expel an old lion like him while he is in appeal.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Harry Reid has already thrown down the gauntlet.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Harry Reid has already thrown down the gauntlet.

Check.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    That's absolutely hilarious and incredibly scary at the same time. Mind you, imagine the shit that would have come out about Dubya if he had lost in 2000.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Last night MSNBC was saying that it WOULD be up to Palin to pick his replacement, although she could not pick herself. What she could do though is resign as governor, which would maker her lieutenant governor the new governor, allowing the new governor to select her for the senate. Crazy.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/05/palin-didnt-know-africa-i_n_141653.htmlb, 21b, 21/object1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21CLASSIC MATERIAL HERE (all caps worthy)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/05/palin-didnt-know-africa-i_n_141653.htmlb, 21b, 21/object1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21They're trying to bury her to save the Republican brand overall. Newsweek's coming out with an entire expose' that should squash any hope that she has of being on the national stage again. Well, other than naming herself a replacement for Ted Stevens...

• Jesus Christ, O'Reilly can barely let his own reporters speak.

• Not sure if this has been posted but Palin's staffers decorated her office to welcome her back and the image appeared on CNN.comb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Check out the dead bear throw sprawled out on the sofa and a plush toy lamb sprawled out in the same manner on the armchair. Also, there is a king crab holding magazines down on her table? I can't imagine going into someone's office for a serious meeting or interview and seeing all that stuff in there. I think I would be scared

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Not sure if this has been posted but Palin's staffers decorated her office to welcome her back and the image appeared on CNN.comb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Check out the dead bear throw sprawled out on the sofa and a plush toy lamb sprawled out in the same manner on the armchair. Also, there is a king crab holding magazines down on her table? I can't imagine going into someone's office for a serious meeting or interview and seeing all that stuff in there. I think I would be scared b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's a shame we'll never get to see how she'd have added some personal touch to the interior design of the White House...

• Jeez Campbell Brown scares me but she's right.....b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Not sure if this has been posted but Palin's staffers decorated her office to welcome her back and the image appeared on CNN.comb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Check out the dead bear throw sprawled out on the sofa and a plush toy lamb sprawled out in the same manner on the armchair. Also, there is a king crab holding magazines down on her table? I can't imagine going into someone's office for a serious meeting or interview and seeing all that stuff in there. I think I would be scared b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's a shame we'll never get to see how she'd have added some personal touch to the interior design of the White House... b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I posted this up a couple weeks agob, 21b, 21http://www.palinaspresident.us/never/index.html

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21http://www.palinaspresident.us/never/index.html b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21I remember this, didn't open the door to shoot bambi thoug the irst time and also missed the light switch. Now it's fun, back then it felt somehow very eerie...

• I would take these reports that palin didn't know africa was a country with the same seriousness that I took the press reports claiming she had been 'found guilty' of ethics violations based on a one man report released(but not even endorsed by) the alaskan legislature which has no legal authority to find her guilty of anything.b, 21b, 21Of course the alaskan personnel board, the body which actually has powers to investigate and rule over ethics complaints, completely exhonerated her. Just as dolo maintained it would.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Just as dolo maintained it would. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21NZshadow thinks you sound like a twat when you refer to yourself in the third person.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I would take these reports that palin didn't know africa was a country with the same seriousness b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Er... Africa isn't a country, dude.b, 21b, 21Did you go to school with La Palinista?

• Come on now, b1REAL[/b] Americans dont give a flying F*ck about Africa's status as a continent and that South Africa is a sovereign state....shit, I should know, Im a b1REAL[/b] American that lives in Tennessee, in SOUTH AMERICA, where all the red states are...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I would take these reports that palin didn't know africa was a country with the same seriousness b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Er... Africa isn't a country, dude.b, 21b, 21Did you go to school with La Palinista? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21that's f*cking priceless!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Come on now, b1REAL[/b] Americans dont give a flying F*ck about Africa's status as a continent and that South Africa is a sovereign state....shit, I should know, Im a b1REAL[/b] American that lives in Tennessee, in SOUTH AMERICA, where all the red states are... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21...except North Carolina, Virginia, Florida and New Mexico.

WHy are people so certain Palin would want to make a stab at the Senate? I'm thinking: too soon. Being a Senator is not going to adequately reform her image between now and 2012 much more than staying on as governor and doing some, you know, governing. b, 21b, 21My not-so-magic, crystal ball suggests that if the economy recovers by 2012 (and let's hope it does), there may be an attempt at resurrecting some kind of wedge issue - immigration still looking good as always. Palin could probably do more to exploit that as a governor than as a senator ("I've protected Alaska against those pesky Russians...and Canadians...and Mexicans? Wait...what? Mexico and Alaska don't border one another? Oh, ok."

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Of course the alaskan personnel board, the body which actually has powers to investigate and rule over ethics complaints, completely exhonerated her. Just as dolo maintained it would. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I don't know firing someone who you have a personal grudge with because he broke up with your sister and then firing the person you were having fire this person because they wouldn't sounds like ethics violations to me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I would take these reports that palin didn't know africa was a country with the same seriousness that I took the press reports claiming she had been 'found guilty' of ethics violations based on a one man report released(but not even endorsed by) the alaskan legislature which has no legal authority to find her guilty of anything.b, 21b, 21Of course the alaskan personnel board, the body which actually has powers to investigate and rule over ethics complaints, completely exhonerated her. Just as dolo maintained it would. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21"your stacked deck is less legitimate than our stacked deck"