Q-Tip : The Renaissance

12346»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21i'd be more excited to see phife. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Question: Why didn't they make this a song by itself? It's one of the best joints on there and I gotta FFW just to eeeeear it!b, 21b, 21param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" 21param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" 21param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2288477&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" 21/object1b, 21Q-Tip - "Renaissance Rap"/a1 from Three/21 Films/a1 on Vimeo/a1.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Question: Why didn't they make this a song by itself? It's one of the best joints on there and I gotta FFW just to eeeeear it!b, 21b, 21param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" 21param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" 21param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2288477&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" 21/object1b, 21Q-Tip - "Renaissance Rap"/a1 from Three/21 Films/a1 on Vimeo/a1. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21/object1

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Hahaha DEFINITELY. His whole flow, music, all that.

• Tip came thru our shop yesterday (big thanks to MeatyOgre). He hooked up tickets for the show last night. I only saw his performance but it was pretty outstanding. I don't enjoy many hiphop shows usually. The band was good and featured a Rhodes or EP player. He did a lot of Tribe material. The new stuff sounded good in that setting. It was a great night. And DJ Scratch killed it. To anyone who's seen the show, was he using Microwave?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Tip came thru our shop yesterday (big thanks to MeatyOgre). He hooked up tickets for the show last night. I only saw his performance but it was pretty outstanding. I don't enjoy many hiphop shows usually. The band was good and featured a Rhodes or EP player. He did a lot of Tribe material. The new stuff sounded good in that setting. It was a great night. And DJ Scratch killed it. To anyone who's seen the show, was he using Microwave? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, he is. He's got a black Powerbook with "DJ SCRATCH" on the back.b, 21b, 21And yeah, Tip's show is really impressive given how long he's been out the game.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21And yeah, Tip's show is really impressive given how long he's been out the game. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Any Chi-town strutters going to the 12/6 show at HOB?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think this album is pretty good honestly. but most rappers from that period couldnt pull this shit off ... tip is just too likeableb, 21b, 21altho imo this album doesnt deserve 11 pages :eyeroll:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21And yeah, Tip's show is really impressive given how long he's been out the game. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Any Chi-town strutters going to the 12/6 show at HOB? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21possible

• Question: Why didn't they make this a song by itself? It's one of the best joints on there and I gotta FFW just to eeeeear it!

Have you heard the "Renaissance Rap (Remix)" featuring Busta Rhymes, Raekwon and Lil Wayne?

Link here: http://www.spinemagazine.com/news_mp3/jan/qtip/renaissancerap_remix.mp3

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    Like the song BUT the video was BUTT.

• After playing this album to death I feel like Tip is still at his best in a group. I love the album but he needs that contrast with another MC to really shine. I can't really explain it but it's the same with Black Thought. He can hold down an album but I'd rather hear him with Malik B.

Who would you want hear Tip with in '09? There's references to "The Standard" with Common in the liners.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    After playing this album to death I feel like Tip is still at his best in a group. I love the album but he needs that contrast with another MC to really shine. I can't really explain it but it's the same with Black Thought. He can hold down an album but I'd rather hear him with Malik B.

Who would you want hear Tip with in '09? There's references to "The Standard" with Common in the liners.

I agree that Q-Tip works better when there's someone to share a verse w/.

The thing about Fife is that for the first couple of albums dude only got to shoot the ball here and there. Its never been a 50/50 thing w/ Tribe.

Common wouldnt be a good pairing for a whole album IMO. Both dudes have similar styles. Tip needs a contrast voice or at least a more pedestrian flow.

Unless you flip it and get some MC that's 5x more abstract/cryptic so Tip could be the "regular" MC in the duo.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    After playing this album to death I feel like Tip is still at his best in a group. I love the album but he needs that contrast with another MC to really shine. I can't really explain it but it's the same with Black Thought. He can hold down an album but I'd rather hear him with Malik B.

The thing about Fife is that for the first couple of albums dude only got to shoot the ball here and there. Its never been a 50/50 thing w/ Tribe.

Common wouldnt be a good pairing for a whole album IMO. Both dudes have similar styles. Tip needs a contrast voice or at least a more pedestrian flow.

Unless you flip it and get some MC that's 5x more abstract/cryptic so Tip could be the "regular" MC in the duo.

I was really looking forward to the Q-tip/Common collabo, but Common's most recent album was so atrocious that I'm discouraged. Dude should just call it quit with the raps and focus on his wack acting.

• Dude should just call it quit with the raps and focus on his wack acting.

No. His acting is far worse.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Sayin'. Don't understand how dude gets high profile roles like in Wanted and the upcoming Terminator flick. Common makes Ice Cube look like Ben Kingsley.

• Common should disappear. That would be fresh.

• common looks like ben kingsley.

q-tip's album is great.

• After playing this album to death I feel like Tip is still at his best in a group. I love the album but he needs that contrast with another MC to really shine. I can't really explain it but it's the same with Black Thought. He can hold down an album but I'd rather hear him with Malik B.

Yeah Com is too similar. I like how Tip played off of Busta's craziness on "N.T." but that wouldn't work for a whole album.

Phife was ideal cause he was little grittier but could rock over Tribe production without sounding out of place. For some reason I think a less aggressive Peedi Crakk might work.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Who would you want hear Tip with in '09?

Mos Def & Busta on form would be nice, but I haven't heard much from either of them recently to know if this would be a good idea.

• "No his acting is far worse"

Someone didn't see the greatest work of our generation known as "She Hate Me"

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Who's still listening to this album?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    as a whole - no.

I play select singles.

• Who's still listening to this album?

From beginning to end, it's still a good album. I don't play it as much as I did when I first bought it, but it gets heard every now and then.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Who's still listening to this album?

i still like it, but I also still like amplified