Q-Tip : The Renaissance

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yes the "girlfriends" crowd is feeling this album.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yes the "girlfriends" crowd is feeling this album. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Is "Girlfriends" code for Michelle Obama -N-Them?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yes the "girlfriends" crowd is feeling this album. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Is "Girlfriends" code for Michelle Obama -N-Them? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21LOOOOOOOL

• no, it's code for my wife and her friends.b, 21b, 21they know the words to the res album and fiona apple, love all the old tribe stuff and they watch girlfriends when they happen to stumble on the reruns (much to my chagrin)b, 21b, 21I just want to know if anyone is actually PURCHASING this record, aside from riding for it. b, 21b, 21All those old tribe albums are or are close to platinum. I'm just saying with this many people riding for it on the net, and many tastemakers, I would assume it would easily sell over 100K by the end of the year. But then again alot has changed so i'm curious. b, 21It sales doesn't make the album any better or worse, just looking to gleem some insight into the current state of the internet hype machine vs. the actual business of selling music b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 I was a huge Tribe fan before it became the cool thing to do. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21That's basically before Can I Kick It/Bonita Applebaum or Midnight Marauders. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Before description of a fool?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I just want to know if anyone is actually PURCHASING this record, aside from riding for it. b, 21b, 21 b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I got a promo but I am buying the album. Other than me... who knows these days img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-mp3jammin.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" 21

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 I was a huge Tribe fan before it became the cool thing to do. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21That's basically before Can I Kick It/Bonita Applebaum or Midnight Marauders. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Before description of a fool? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Desciprtion Of A Fool and I Left My Wallet In EL Segundo were not hits.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I just want to know if anyone is actually PURCHASING this record, aside from riding for it. b, 21b, 21All those old tribe albums are or are close to platinum. I'm just saying with this many people riding for it on the net, and many tastemakers, I would assume it would easily sell over 100K by the end of the year. But then again alot has changed so i'm curious. b, 21It sales doesn't make the album any better or worse, just looking to gleem some insight into the current state of the internet hype machine vs. the actual business of selling music b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21not really sure sales-wise. it's currently not in the top 100 on either itunes or amazonb, 21i can't imagine it's sold over 20k this first week. I get soundscan tomorrow morning so I'm curious to see how it did.b, 21Hopefully it builds some steam and has some staying power.

I bought it, ripped the two songs I liked and left it with my homegirl who really likes the whole album.b, 21b, 21Did the same thing with the last Murs album too.

• word, that's what i'm saying. Didn't make main billboard as far as i can tell. It would be a pretty sad look for everyone (not even tip) if this doesn't top 15k first week with all the steam behind it.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I just bought the Target version w/ img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bonus.gif" alt="" 21 DVD.b, 21Half an hour behind the scenes of the Gettin Up video.b, 21Boring as shit, but not as bad as the Common "Meet My Stylist" DVD from a few years back.b, 21b, 21Also (Soulstrut Rap Discussion catnip): b, 21http://www.babygrande.com/scoreboard.jsp/a1

• ha!b, 21I forgot about the scoreboard.b, 21It's funny that they leave us off of there when we outsell most of the shit listed. NOT 4 ELEMENTS ENUFF I GESS

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    That's the first thing I noticed.b, 21Far from exact I'm sure but I figured it will spark up more talk.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I just bought the Target version w/ img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bonus.gif" alt="" 21 DVD.b, 21Half an hour behind the scenes of the Gettin Up video.b, 21Boring as shit, but not as bad as the Common "Meet My Stylist" DVD from a few years back.b, 21b, 21Also (Soulstrut Rap Discussion catnip): b, 21http://www.babygrande.com/scoreboard.jsp/a1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Holy crap some of those numbers are low.

Haha how did I miss out on GZA releasing an album called "Protools"? LOL.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21word, that's what i'm saying. Didn't make main billboard as far as i can tell. It would be a pretty sad look for everyone (not even tip) if this doesn't top 15k first week with all the steam behind it. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I really don't know how much steam it really has though. I feel like you get a divide - the people who listened to Q-Tip BITD are hearing this and going "it's aight, but not the old q-tip", and not buying the album. And the people who would really like it don't seem to be up on it at all, and when they get told, they're not of a music buying generation. Which isn't saying anything new, but the fact is that Q-Tip does not have some giant loyal fanbase watching his every move - he has a lot of fans who know him for different reasons (ZOMG can u play dat Vivrant Thing song???). Whatever steam he's got came more from a sense of "Wait, Q-Tip made a new album? Really? Sh*t, I gotta check that out..." than any sense of anticipation.b, 21b, 21I think he made the right move by putting out a record that doesn't pander to either crowd, but I can see why this isn't selling as well as it should in comparison so some of the other BS that people don't even listen to or like, and doesn't get on the Letterman Show and MTV.b, 21b, 21Homegirl the other day was all "oh, I'll just get it on this Russian website where everything is 19 cents, cause iTunes is SO expensive. And all the money goes to the artist." b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" 21

• just picked up the vinyl at Amoeba. Supposedly it was going to come with a free 7 inch, but I forgot to ask for it and the cashier didn't give me one.b, 21b, 21I like it so far. Not blowing me away, but something new to listen to.b, 21b, 21What's with the terrible (technique and volume level) scratching at the end of Gettin Up?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What's with the terrible (technique and volume level) scratching at the end of Gettin Up? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah when I DLed this first I thought I had some kind of radio mixshow rip. Those cuts are really awful.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I like it so far. Not blowing me away, but something new to listen to.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I've given it a couple of play throughs now and this is still my feeling about it. It's not terrible but it's not really rocking my world either and it has a unfinished feel to it as well.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I just want to know if anyone is actually PURCHASING this record, aside from riding for it. b, 21b, 21All those old tribe albums are or are close to platinum. I'm just saying with this many people riding for it on the net, and many tastemakers, I would assume it would easily sell over 100K by the end of the year. But then again alot has changed so i'm curious. b, 21It sales doesn't make the album any better or worse, just looking to gleem some insight into the current state of the internet hype machine vs. the actual business of selling music b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21not really sure sales-wise. it's currently not in the top 100 on either itunes or amazonb, 21i can't imagine it's sold over 20k this first week. I get soundscan tomorrow morning so I'm curious to see how it did.b, 21Hopefully it builds some steam and has some staying power. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21well I'm glad I was wrong. it debuted at #11 selling 34,219b, 21I guess most people were buying hard copies of this.b, 21It's funny since we manage an artist that debuted at #11 last week (selling about 41,000) and he was in the top 10-15 on both itunes and amazon. although he is a completely different artist than q-tip.

• That's encouraging.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I just bought the Target version w/ img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bonus.gif" alt="" 21 DVD.b, 21Half an hour behind the scenes of the Gettin Up video.b, 21Boring as shit, but not as bad as the Common "Meet My Stylist" DVD from a few years back.b, 21b, 21Also (Soulstrut Rap Discussion catnip): b, 21http://www.babygrande.com/scoreboard.jsp/a1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Holy crap some of those numbers are low. b, 21b, 21h, 217 DOLLARS AN ALBUM

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I bought it on Amazon for $8.99

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I bought it on Amazon for $8.99 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    You know what, for that price I will pick it up and see what's happening.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    When T.I.'s latest album came out there was a release date sale on Amazon for $3.99 I think.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Haha, how does shit even break down at that low of a price?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm at the HoB show here in LA, with Tip, the Cool Kids, Knuc and Pacific Duvosion on the bill: it's the least packed I've seen this spot in a minute. Not barren but far from capacity. Maybe the $35 ticket price scared folks off or maybe no one in LA cares about this bill.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have to say - it was a pretty decent show. I haven't seen Q-Tip live in about 14 years but I thought he and his band (what rappers don't use bands at this point?) did a solid job of whipping through the new album and a "best of" selection of Tip and Tribe's past work. b, 21b, 21Bonus: DJ Scratch on the cutsb, 21b, 21F*ck it, I reveled in full "90s hip-hop fandom" last night and enjoyed every minute of it.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21F*ck it, I reveled in full "90s hip-hop fandom" last night and enjoyed every minute of it. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21qtip hasn't really left the public eye for him to bring back all that much nostalgia....at least thats how i felt when i saw him a few years ago. Its like if i went to see Ice Cube i'd be thinking about "Are we there Yet" while he was rapping walking in my black back boots. Tip has been doin too much celebrity djing/modeling/acting. b, 21b, 21i'd be more excited to see phife.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Man, you're giving ol' Rootless a run for his money.