German records raer? What are you looking for??

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
I'd like to know what rare German records you are looking for these days. What's the state of the art concerning German records raer (James Last and Les Humphries included)?I'm still looking for the Sexedelic soundtrack, Free Orbit (feat. Herbolzheimer and Udo Lindenberg), Charly Antolini Power Dozen - Atomic Drums (although Charly is a Swiss guy), Sinecerly P.T. by Peter Trunk, Jonny Teupen - Harpadelic, Mr. Circle, etc.But there are many other "more common" records that I still need: J??rgen Franke's budget pressings, Motherhood, Doldinger in general, Uve Shikora, other Eastern German records... and some librariesLet me know some raer and fast German braeks plaeze!

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i found that jonathan lp a couple weeks ago. yeah, nice drums, but a crap lp. sold it to sound library for $40. uhhhh. i could use that horselmat 45. the can stuff and some soundtracks is really all that comes to mind. i found an ass load of really cool easten european stuff in dusseldorf, hamburg and berlin. I'd be more on the eagle for that shit.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    yeah, jonathan sucks. the amayana label has some fantastic records though. did you find stuff on the Amiga label as well? Eastern Germany had some great musicians.

horselmat? is that german? i thought it's a swedish LP featuring janne schaffer???

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i found that jonathan lp a couple weeks ago. yeah, nice drums, but a crap lp. sold it to sound library for $40. uhhhh. i could use that horselmat 45. the can stuff and some soundtracks is really all that comes to mind. i found an ass load of really cool easten european stuff in dusseldorf, hamburg and berlin. I'd be more on the eagle for that shit.

which soundtracks? playgirl? negresco? there's a doldonger compilation from the 70s featuring sitar beat plus the motherhood recorded "i feel free" with the superb drum break (known from the peter nero sessions?)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    oh yeah, those 2 niagra records

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    yo Grope, so many dope German recs, and I know there has to be hundreds of titles that nobody (outside Germany) knows about... Always looking for some of that killer jazzfusion from east and west Germany, also krautrock joints, I love the early Can stuff, Halleluwah steez definitely!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Mike nock pleze & thank u.

Mike Nock Underground Between Or Beyond MPS 1970

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    there is one I have been looking for for years, the first Sunbirds LP.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    cosmic sound orchestra - let's fly some funk to the moon

still havent gotten my hands on this one
    soon and very soon though

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    is die toten hosen raer? i had the tape when i was a kid.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I need some early Popol Vuh.
    A nice minty copy of Paradieswarts Duul would be nice as well.

Thank you for helping, Grope.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Herman ze German and friends.

Holla

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I want to get my paws on those Hans Koller mps/saba joints.

no braeks.....just some top notch hard bop.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    there is one I have been looking for for years, the first Sunbirds LP.

I got both Sunbirds LPs. You should go for the self titled. Zagara on Finger Records is terribly expensive, but not thaaaat good. Quite a few good grooves, but unfortunately each song has cheesy moments. The self titled is butter-ish though. Philip Catherine at his best.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    oh yeah, those 2 niagra records

Niagara is cool. Make sure to buy Affire and SUB. Forget about the titties one, unless you want to hang it on the wall...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    yo Grope, so many dope German recs, and I know there has to be hundreds of titles that nobody (outside Germany) knows about...

not me. There're a bunch of breakbeat records, but hardly any surprising funky jazzy stuff. Most people over here are hunting after Brazilian fusion raer these days (Jazzanova, etc) but I don't feel that stuff

There are some old pop/rock/beat/soul records that are OK though. Not in the sense of straight funk or groove, but still.

Ask dreskiboogie. We found nothing even though we went to 5-6 record stores.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Roundhouse plaese

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I never got to listen to that one. Is it really that good. That other Mike Nock stuff I bought was kinda mediocre?! Is Between or Beyond is only good LP?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I need some early Popol Vuh.
    A nice minty copy of Paradieswarts Duul would be nice as well.

Thank you for helping, Grope.

Sorry... can't help. But Amon Duul isn't even that rare over here. Mostly expensive, but not rare. Same goes for Popul Vuh. The store in my old hometown sells Popul Vuh from time to time. I don't like most Krautrock though. I still need that Motherhood LP. Most people would say it's a kraut record, but I disagree. Doldinger is playing with Lothar Meid and others. Should be Jazz.

A friend of mine is always meets Lothar Meid (Amon Duul bassist) at a pub near Stuttgart. They know each other quite well. I should ask her to ask Lothar about his records, huh?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Roundhouse plaese

Need that one myself. I always forget to look for Roundhouse while digging. Must find Roundhouse!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    hi Grope.

just wondering that James Last "Well Kept Secret" or something, is that any good ?

I never got to listen to that one. Is it really that good. That other Mike Nock stuff I bought was kinda mediocre?! Is Between or Beyond is only good LP?

This is the Fourth Way group lineup without Michael White, so its piano bass drums and no violin....and yeah its dope, Mike Nock using ringmodulator on the keys also, Mclure on fenderbass and Marshalls drums sounding real crisp.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    hi Grope.

just wondering that James Last "Well Kept Secret" or something, is that any good ?

it's good, but not rare at all. i wouldn't drop much money on it. i think there was a wax poetics article online with soundclips from some james last lps

yo Grope, ringmodulator-wise, did you ever find the Overdrive (Tempo 1972)record, reissued as Kristian Schultze Set, the OG has to be mega rare, killer, theres a track, Ambiualens, damn that shits dope!

Roundhouse plaese

Need that one myself. I always forget to look for Roundhouse while digging. Must find Roundhouse!

Both these are yes, very recommendable!

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
    I'm looking for these dollar bin records:

I still need that Motherhood LP.

whats up with this one....info please?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    What's up with that Sunbirds LP? I've been hearing about that for years.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I'm looking for these dollar bin records:

Tasty, but never seen.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    steaming pubic hair raer

What's up with that Sunbirds LP? I've been hearing about that for years.

Sunbirds have two LPs. First (self titled - recorded 1971) featuring Klaus Weiss, Jimmy Woode, Philip Catherine, Fritz Pauer, Ferdinand Povel and Juan Romero. Hard to describe the style. Jazz Funk with Psych influences? There are no drum breaks or remarkable loops, but the songs are beautiful non-the-less . Composed by Fritz Pauer (piano and organ player fro Austria of ORF fame), Jimmy Woode and Catherine. Fritz has some good MPS LPs as well. The self titled Sunbirds is on BASF. Kinda like a MPS sub. One of my all-time favorite records. I like "Blues for D.S." a lot. And "Sunbirds". Great tunes.

The Zagara LP by the Sunbirds on Finger Records / Polydor is super rare. Klaus Weiss on drums, Fritz Pauer, Ferdinand Povel, Leschek Zadlo, Lucas Costa, Jimmy Woode, Ron Carter, Rafael Waeber, Norman Tolbert. recorded 1972. Some cheesy moments due to extended flute solos. Fritz Pauer composed all songs, except "Homecoming" that was written by Woode. Some nice intros. But they didn't play each songs in 4/4. Sampling would be difficult.

I like the self titled better. Incredible music. One of the few true Jazz Funk records out of Germany. Almost CTI-ich or KUDU-ish!!! BIG YIKES.