Rep your winter foods

Comments

• one of my favorites as of late for the winter is vey simple, chicken and biscuits....you roast a chicken, pull all the meat off, make a chicken gravy with the drippings, put it all in a cast iron skillett, make some biscuit dough, put it on top of everything...throw it in the oven until the biscuit dough is baked...a little time consuming, but hard to mess up and REALLY tasty and filling...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Winter in Texas means 2 things...venison and pecans. b,121b,121Beyond the prime cuts of venison...backstrap with bernaise sauce is tried and true...the hams and such IMO go best towards suasage. Taking the venison-to-pork content up to 80+% = img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121We've got a pecan tree in our front yard...lots of pies to be made of its massive droppings, a Texas staple. b,121b,121Can't complain when someone breaks out a plate of jalapeno-stuffed dove/quail wrapped in bacon. b,121b,121There are always a few pots of homemade chili and gumbo to be had during football season. b,121b,121And on Haitian Independence Day, otherwise known as New Year's Day...while others are having their black eyed peas, we're have the best pumpkin soup you've never tasted. b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/freeway.gif" alt="" 21

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Mash is a must. b,121b,121b,121Winter comfort food at its best.

• it's booya season here in minnesota

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121And on Haitian Independence Day, otherwise known as New Year's Day...while others are having their black eyed peas, we're have the best pumpkin soup you've never tasted. b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/freeway.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What with Halloween coming we've bought a pumpkin to put in the window so that kids will be drawn to the house only to be turned away empty handed as I scoff down all the sweets while telling them to grow up and get a real job. I'm determined to make something out of the pumpkin insides this year but have had little/no success with making edible dishes out of it in the past. Recommendations would be eagerly welcomed.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121And on Haitian Independence Day, otherwise known as New Year's Day...while others are having their black eyed peas, we're have the best pumpkin soup you've never tasted. b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/freeway.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What with Halloween coming we've bought a pumpkin to put in the window so that kids will be drawn to the house only to be turned away empty handed as I scoff down all the sweets while telling them to grow up and get a real job. I'm determined to make something out of the pumpkin insides this year but have had little/no success with making edible dishes out of it in the past. Recommendations would be eagerly welcomed. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121A regular pumpkin needs alot of work to get some flavor. b,121I recommend roasting the insides and making a soup.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121And on Haitian Independence Day, otherwise known as New Year's Day...while others are having their black eyed peas, we're have the best pumpkin soup you've never tasted. b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/freeway.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What with Halloween coming we've bought a pumpkin to put in the window so that kids will be drawn to the house only to be turned away empty handed as I scoff down all the sweets while telling them to grow up and get a real job. I'm determined to make something out of the pumpkin insides this year but have had little/no success with making edible dishes out of it in the past. Recommendations would be eagerly welcomed. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Haitian pumpkin soup isn't strictly pumpkin as any combination of pumpkin/squash/goard will do. b,121b,121Here's some further background (and a recipe):b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Editorial: Pumpkin Soup, a symbol of Haitian Independence and Unityb,121Every January 1st, most of us around the world are celebrating the New Year's Day. For Haitians though, the first day of the year has added significance, since it doubles as the anniversary of our Independence in 1804. On that day, Haitians whether in Haiti or abroad savor pumpkin soup (soup joumou in Kreyol), in keeping with the tradition to celebrate that event. Having this delicious soup on January 1st is rooted deep in our culture and our history. It is a statement. b,121During slavery, only the french colonists could drink this delicious and aromatic meal on special occasions while slaves were to drink simple bread soup. At the same time, it was a common saying during slavery that "Depi nan Guinen n??g rayi n??g", meaning that Black people have been hating each other ever since they were back in [Guinea] Africa. Well, on January 1st 1804, during the Independence celebration, a huge pot of pumpkin soup was concocted, and every one present was served a bowl to show that we as descendants of slaves could unite and produce something extraordinary. b,121b,121So every time we drink this soup on January 1st it reminds us of the injustices of slavery and our having overcoming them. it is a declaration that never, as long as this nation exists will we suffer domination under any form, whether physically or ideologically. The one hundred ninety six years of Haitian independence have thus often if not always been one hundred ninety six years of resistance against oppression and domination. Eating pumpkin soup is thus reminding us that the fight is not over. It also gives us courage, for it is a symbol that there is victory for us at the end of the road. b,121b,121 Recipe: Pumpkin Soup, Haitian Style - Serves 6b,121b,1211 lb.beef stew meat b,1211 medium pumpkin squashb,1211 lb. cabbageb,121carrots, celery, spinash.b,1211 onion b,1216 med. potatoesb,121 1 malanga or equivalentb,1213 medium sized turnipsb,1213 limesb,121vermicelli, macaroni or other noodlesb,121scallions, thyme, garlic, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, one small hot pepper and other seasonings b,121b,1211. Clean the meat with hot water and lemon.b,1212. Add seasoning, salt and set aside for 2 hrs.b,1213. Boil meat in stockpot with 3 quarts of water or until tender (about 1 ??- 2 hrs)b,1214. When meat is tender, add carrots and pumpkin peeled and sliced.b,1215. When pumpkin gets soft, remove and pulverize in blender. Add back to pot.b,1216. Cut and add in order, potatoes, celery, turnips etc. Add cabbage last (Essentially you want to add the itemsm requiring more time to boil first and leave items like cabbage for later so that they do not get too crushed)b,1217. Continue boiling until meat is tender and vegetables are cooked (~1/2 hour). b,1218. Add pasta.b,1219. Taste and add seasoning at will.b,12110. Turn off the heat and let cool. b,121Serve in a medium size bowl sitting in a plate with piece of bread on the side.b,121 b,121b,121b,121Having pumpkin soup is also a sign of unity among us. During slavery, the white colonists believed that blacks could never unify to achieve any impressive action. It is principally a unity among the blacks and the mulattos that resulted in the success of the Haitian revolution. Thus, when we have pumpkin soup on January First, share it within our family, and send some to our neighbors and friends, Haitians sought to demonstrate their ability to form one people in the face of adversityby reiterating the Haitian motto of "L???Union fait la Force": Through Unity there is Power. b,121b,121Some people often ask why we so proudly celebrate January first, when Haiti has made so little economic and social advancement. What tangible advancement have you made for you to still want to celebrate January first every year? This question is often the result of poor understanding of Haiti and its place in history. b,121b,121Haitians are celebrating January First because the revolution that gave birth to our country is the first successful revolution in History against colonialism and slavery. Because of that characteristic of the Haitian revolution, the young state was isolated diplomatically by the world, which denied her independence to prevent her upheaval from reaching other colonial shores. At the same time, the ex-slaves, founder of the Haitian State, were mostly illiterate and had no prior experience in state ruling. The international isolation of the country combined with the inexperience of the founders of the new nation determined in great part the present state of the country. b,121b,121Revolution, moreover, is a lengthy process that does not happen overnight. The Haitian Revolution aimed for freedom and the end of slavery. On January 1st 1804, the Haitians won that freedom but immediately faced new social and economic challenges which demanded time to be resolved. The motto of the Haitian slaves against colonialism was "libete ou lanmo" meaning "freedom or death". b,121b,121The immediate demand was thus not how the new state was going to be ruled or what it would achieved socially and economically, but freedom. The energy of the former slaves, the free black and the mulattos was thus profoundly invested into achieving this goal. Now after 196 years of independence, Haiti is fighting for the implementation of democratic institutions in the state and for more social and economic justice. It is only part of the continuing revolution in the country, and other older nations have followed a similar path. b,121b,121The famous French revolution of 1789 did not automatically institute democracy in France when the Bourbons were ousted out of the French throne. It took the French around a hundred years to lay the roots of democracy in their political system. The French first rejected the old regime and dethroned the Bourbons at the head of France. Following the beheading of Louis XVI in 1793, Robespierre and his followers instituted a "reign of terror" in France. Then in 1799, Napoleon seized power of the French government through conspiracy and instituted a military dictatorship then an empire until 1814 when a European concertation deposed and replaced him by the Bourbons. France then went through some mini-revolution until the rise of Napoleon III through the election of 1852. Until the end of the 19th century, the ideals of the French revolution, of liberty, equality and universal suffrage were not fully rooted in their system to influence the emergence of France as a modern state today. b,121b,121But let us look closer home. Let us look at the American Revolution, which happened in 1776, and the Haitian Revolution of 1791. The two nations could not be more different today when we consider that only a couple of years separated their rise as modern states. One would understand this difference better if one considers that the American Revolution was foremost a revolution of whi tes by whites and for whites. Slavery was not abolished in this state until 1865, a state which proclaimed at its basis the principle of the equality of men at birth. And the African-Americans would have to wait for another century, until the 1960???s for segregation and racism to be outlawed and their status as second-class citizens be restored to full citizenship. Even today, African-Americans and other blacks living in the US are still fighting to be treated as equals and not to be discriminated upon. b,121b,121The determining difference between the Haitian revolution and that of the Americans is that the former was a revolution of blacks, by blacks and for blacks. This factor would determine the treatment of the country by the world. The whole nation was repressed and kept in isolation. Deliberate propaganda and prejudices plagued the country everyday. They are often fostered by ignorance. For example, people go and spend one or two weeks in Haiti and at the end of their trip they want to proclaim themselves Haitian scholars. They want to diffuse "knowledge"??? about everything Haitian without having the slightest idea of what they are talking about. Their western upbringing make them approach Haiti with preconceived ideas and narrowmindedness. These people spread the view that the vaudouist are cannibals just like the Indians were declared to be savages in 1492. Hollywood quickly picks on the idea and develops it into a real legend of voodoo paganism and cannibalism with Zombies walking around the streets of Haiti days and nights. Haiti is also described as a place of extreme insecurity where people are constantly living in the fear of losing their lives. No doubt, Haiti like any place on earth has its level of insecurity. But, it is certainly not one of the most dangerous place in this world. It is not even close to being the most dangerous place on earth. You never hear of children killing their parents in Haiti or vice versa, nor of teenagers shooting at their peers and professors in schools, nor even of coworkers shooting their colleagues at work. b,121b,121Other propaganda about the country are deliberate. We will not dwell on the causes of these propaganda. However the most known of them is the silly, baseless idea that AIDS originated from Haiti. Just like that, Haiti, a small country in the Caribbean has the power to contaminate the whole world of this disease it has developed. Although Haitians have successfully fought for this stigma to be taken off the country, its consequences were already to deep to be prevented. Tourists thus have shunned the shores of Haiti with the thought of the country as the origin of AIDS in mind. b,121b,121Propaganda were specifically spread in the minds of the other enslaved blacks where Haiti was portrayed as a bad example to keep them in their condition. As long as Haiti was perceived as a "failure" there would be no reason for them to fight for their own freedom. But Haiti has not developed into a failure and it is with extreme pride that we celebrate our 196 years of Independence at home and abroad. This January 1st 2000 let us Haitians around the world eat pumpkin soup to celebrate our victory and our dedication to fight for the preservation of our freedom. b,121b,121In our celebration, we welcome peoples of the world, of any race and nationality who have a genuine concern and desire to learn about Haiti with openmindness to join us on DiscoverHaiti. The goal of DiscoverHaiti is thus to fight against these campaigns by providing an objective view of Haiti to the world on all levels: Culture, art, History, Literature and the places of Haiti. We are also seeking to provide a point of connection for Haitians at home and abroad and especially to the progenies of the Haitian Diaspora. We want the Haitians and the Haitian-American, Haitian-French, and Haitian-Canadian and others to discover one another through knowledge of their roots. b,121b,121We have thus decided to add one more voice to Haiti and Haitians on the Internet. Our section on History will feature monthly studies of Haitian History from the time of the Tainos to the present. In art and literature we will explore Haitian art, sculpture and plastic, as well as the writing production of the country at home and abroad. In Places, we will bring the sultry beaches of Jacmel and Labadie, the mysterious majesty of the north and the lonely Citadelle Laferriere to your home. The friends of fun could check our entertainment section to know before hand the concerts and parties of the community whether at Port-au-Prince, Paris, Cap Haitien, New York, Montreal, Miami, or Boston. In the "Did You Know" section we will bring you little information about Haiti and Haitians. Finally, our chat rooms will allow Haitians at home and abroad to meet one another and discuss topics pertaining to their country and their different experience as Haitians. b,121b,121DiscoverHaiti wants to serve you in the best way that it can. So please do send us your suggestions on how we can better fulfill that goal. b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/2103709756_a090cc8954.jpg"1 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121You eat loofahs?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/2103709756_a090cc8954.jpg"1 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121You eat loofahs? b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121tamales

Oh yeah, how could I forget all of the Christmas tamales that will soon be circulating in mass?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Can someone please post a good fish soup recipe? A simple one is ideal and please not chowder or anything creamy, something in a clear-ish broth please.b,121b,121Thank You.

• hi missbassie! sorry, i dont have a recipe, but one of my favorite fish soups is the vietnamese catfish soup. its in a clear broth and is a hot and sour soup with pineapple, fresh herbs and tomatoes. its really really tasty and not at all cream heavy.

Hello Mr Shig! Thank You - I will now search the internets for it. I am not a fan of fruits cooked in my lunches and dinners but can easily leave it out, no? Hot and sour soups are one of my favourites. Hurrah!

• here it is! tamarind fish soup. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121a href="http://www.transrestaurant.com.au/recipes.html" target="_blank"1http://www.transrestaurant.com.au/recipes.html/a1

• another one with a pic for added flavor! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121a href="http://gourmettraveller.com.au/sweet_and_sour_fish_soup.htm" target="_blank"1http://gourmettraveller.com.au/sweet_and_sour_fish_soup.htm/a1b,121b,121one of my favorites. even with the okra slime, which im not too fond of. so delicious!

Thank You! I loooooooovvvvvveeeeee tamarind!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 img src="http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v348/173/62/672015163/n672015163_4367649_319.jpg"1 b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121whats that? looks nice! b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Pasta (I used gluten free of course!) cream, garlic, lemon, leftover roast chicken, some awesome porchetta di testa, piave 12 month old cheese, grape tomato, and basil.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I never really thought of food as being [i]seasonal./i1 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121city folk. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121hey missb, u can easily leave out the pineapple. but i might mention that if you use fresh pineapple and not the can stuff stewing in a thing of syrup, the fresh pineapple will actually be less "fruity" cuz a lot of the sugars are leeched out into the soup with the pineapple taking in much of the broth so its not as fruity as one might think. but yeah, its not key. to me, what makes this soup good is the broth, the fish, and most importantly the tomatoes. oh and the fresh herbs. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21 i dont think it qualifies as a winter food cuz i cant imagine vietnam dealing with a hard winter in the classic sense. but then again, ive never been so i dont know. but i doubt u can find fresh herbs and tomatoes in the dead of winter out there.

• the food in this thread is mad "old timey". "bloke-ish" even.b,121b,121b/wb,121b,121I'm a vegetarian.

• well dude, u asked for winter foods. and winter foods are often times interchangeable with comfort foods. cuz nothing is more comforting than coming in from the cold and bellying up to an ancient stewey type casserole hot dish thing. winter is about hearty eating. which will usually include a form of meat and root vegetable because that is what is most commonly available in the winter.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I broke out the ol' slow cooker yesterday. It's on and poppin' now! Winter = slow cooker bonanza.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121well dude, u asked for winter foods. and winter foods are often times interchangeable with comfort foods. cuz nothing is more comforting than coming in from the cold and bellying up to an ancient stewey type casserole hot dish thing. winter is about hearty eating. which will usually include a form of meat and root vegetable because that is what is most commonly available in the winter. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121ha!b,121b,121i'll stick to my pumpkin spice lattee (soy please!)b,121b,121but srsly, what would be a great soup/stew wish fish?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I broke out the ol' slow cooker yesterday. It's on and poppin' now! Winter = slow cooker bonanza. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Is that like a crock-pot? I remember some comedian went "hmm...I think i'll be hungry in 16 hours, better break out the old crock pot!!!"

• STEW! BROTH! SMOKED FISH!

• I once made a fish soup that was pretty good. It started as regular fish but then I fucked up horribly and decided to make it into a soup. I used onions, carrots, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and some oil for the broth and then added cod and cauliflower. It didn't look that good but it got the job done and had all my roommates asking me to try some cause it smelled really good (and I think I also threw some shark in there)..b,121b,121and did you use gluten free pasta for health reasons or for the taste/texture? Just curious

• im not sure if there is a fish stew cuz stews are often times slow cooked and fish would disintegrate during a slow cooking. b,121b,121but there is nabe. nabe is traditionally a japanese winter dish. its basically japanese hot pot where u sit around a pot of boiling broth and drop in mushrooms and veggies and fish or whatevers until its cooked and then take out ur goods and dip it in a sauce or raw egg or some such. its a very asian thing cuz it is almost necessary that you eat family style cuz u gon have to constantly be adding and fishing out whatever u put in the broth. also, the steam off the broth is an added component to the experience.

the main turn-off for me with the pineapple (and fruits in general) is the sweetness, I am just not a fan of sweet food unless it is desserts. Pineapple is one my absolute favourite fruits, too, but just keep outta my cooked foods!b,121b,121OK - this recipe sounds DELICIOUS!!!!b,121b,1211 cup jasmine riceb,1212 cups waterb,121Zest and juice of 1 lemonb,1214 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable brothb,1211 pound tilapia fillets or other firm white fish b,1214 cups bite-size pieces arugula or watercress (about 1 bunch), tough stems removed b,1211 cup finely shredded carrots b,1211/4 cup very thinly sliced fresh mintb,1212 scallions, finely choppedb,121b,1211. Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and juice.b,1212. Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer in another medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat so the broth remains steaming, but not simmering. Add fish and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove and break into bite-size chunks. b,1213. Divide the lemony rice among 4 bowls. Top with equal portions of the fish, arugula (or watercress), carrot, mint and scallions. Ladle 1 cup of the warm broth into each bowl and serve