**sunday cooking squad (advice needed)**

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121What if u were workin' out daily or often? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Go heavier on the protein, and lighter on the carbohydrates. Your body can use protein to both build muscle and as an energy source, but it's harder to burn, so it transfers to energy more slowly and evenly. Make sure you eat protein with your carbs, as protein slows the rate at which your body processes them. That way, your insulin doesn't spike, but elevates and maintains that elevation. Avoid monosaccharides except in small doses and in combination with protein. You process them immediately causing a huge insulin spike.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121What if u were workin' out daily or often? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Go heavier on the protein, and lighter on the carbohydrates. Your body can use protein to both build muscle and as an energy source, but it's harder to burn, so it transfers to energy more slowly and evenly. Make sure you eat protein with your carbs, as protein slows the rate at which your body processes them. That way, your insulin doesn't spike, but elevates and maintains that elevation. Avoid monosaccharides except in small doses and in combination with protein. You process them immediately causing a huge insulin spike. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121AYOOooooooooo! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121If your just really hungry, or limited for time, the microwave first then crisp in the oven option is good. Cuts the cooking time/s1 nutrients[/b] by 2/3.b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121If you're looking for good nutrition, you shouldn't be fusking with potatoes in the first place. They're carb bombs with relatively low levels of other nutrients. For the most part, all you get out of them is a massive spike in your insulin levels. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121So u dont eat Freedom Fries? b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I pretty much avoid potatoes, and don't touch refined sugar. Pops came down with type-2 diabetes several years ago and had to have a leg amputated last year as a result. I've been knowledging myself on insulin for a while, and it's not good to jack yourself up on carbs like that. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121What if u were workin' out daily or often? b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121DB is dropping knowledge jewels. Listen to him. (And Cas, bake some sweet potatoes!)b,121b,121And Batz, if you're working out a lot, you still don't need baked potatoes on the regular. You should spike your insulin levels at the two times a day you're in an anabolic state: first thing in the morning and immediately post-workout (always, always, always accompanied by fast-digesting protein in both cases). Grits and eggs plus egg whites every morning...such a great start to my day.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121If your just really hungry, or limited for time, the microwave first then crisp in the oven option is good. Cuts the cooking time/s1 nutrients[/b] by 2/3.b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121If you're looking for good nutrition, you shouldn't be fusking with potatoes in the first place. They're carb bombs with relatively low levels of other nutrients. For the most part, all you get out of them is a massive spike in your insulin levels. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121So u dont eat Freedom Fries? b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I pretty much avoid potatoes, and don't touch refined sugar. Pops came down with type-2 diabetes several years ago and had to have a leg amputated last year as a result. I've been knowledging myself on insulin for a while, and it's not good to jack yourself up on carbs like that. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121What if u were workin' out daily or often? b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121DB is dropping knowledge jewels. Listen to him. (And Cas, bake some sweet potatoes!)b,121b,121And Batz, if you're working out a lot, you still don't need baked potatoes on the regular. You should spike your insulin levels at the two times a day you're in an anabolic state: first thing in the morning and immediately post-workout (always, always, always accompanied by fast-digesting protein in both cases). Grits and eggs plus egg whites every morning...such a great start to my day. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Is wasnt suggesting potatoes as an energy source but something that would get broken down if you consumed in moderation and had a consistant workout regimen.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Is wasnt suggesting potatoes as an energy source but something that would get broken down if you consumed in moderation and had a consistant workout regimen. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Well, your body will certainly metabolize the complex carbs and burn them off as a result of exercise, so you won't necessarily store as much of the energy as body fat as someone would who didn't work out, but the insulin spike from that amount of carbs is still bad for your body.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121You should spike your insulin levels at the two times a day you're in an anabolic state: first thing in the morning and immediately post-workout (always, always, always accompanied by fast-digesting protein in both cases). b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You don't necessarily need to spike your insulin levels in the morning because there shouldn't be any significant microtrauma. Also, if your pre-bedtime meal is complete, you would have glycogen reserves to last for a few hours while you sleep.b,121b,121Consuming protein with carbohydrates is good as it maximizes the efficiency of your digestive enzymes and provides nutrients to offset muscle catbolism. But going light on the carbs isn't recommended unless you plan it out very carefully like in the Paleo diet.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121But going light on the carbs isn't recommended unless you plan it out very carefully like in the Paleo diet. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I mean light in comparison to the typical American diet, which is very carb heavy. Muhfuskas eating stacks of pancakes for breakfast and schist. What's the Paleo diet?

• The Paleo diet supposidely takes into account the evolution of our eating habits and focuses on foods that are 'biologically fit' for our bodies. Foods in this diet include meat, fish vegetables, fruits, unrefined oils and nuts and avoids mostly grains and processed foods. Some people also set one day a week for eating grains, claiming that surge of carbs with help keep their body in an anabolic state. Most people who advocate this diet claim that modern farming is one of the causes of modern diseases and that grains should not be consumed everyday for that reason.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Paleo diet supposidely takes into account the evolution of our eating habits and focuses on foods that are 'biologically fit' for our bodies. Foods in this diet include meat, fish vegetables, fruits, unrefined oils and nuts and avoids mostly grains and processed foods. Some people also set one day a week for eating grains, claiming that surge of carbs with help keep their body in an anabolic state. Most people who advocate this diet claim that modern farming is one of the causes of modern diseases and that grains should not be consumed everyday for that reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That sounds pretty much like my diet, except that I also eat whole grains in moderation. I've got this dope flax and whole grain bread that really kills it with my eggs in the morning. Processed food is no good. Lots of chemicals, high in salt and often bad fats, and the natural ingredients have had their nutrients processed right out of them.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Paleo diet supposidely takes into account the evolution of our eating habits and focuses on foods that are 'biologically fit' for our bodies. Foods in this diet include meat, fish vegetables, fruits, unrefined oils and nuts and avoids mostly grains and processed foods. Some people also set one day a week for eating grains, claiming that surge of carbs with help keep their body in an anabolic state. Most people who advocate this diet claim that modern farming is one of the causes of modern diseases and that grains should not be consumed everyday for that reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That sounds pretty much like my diet, except that I also eat whole grains in moderation. I've got this dope flax and whole grain bread that really kills it with my eggs in the morning. Processed food is no good. Lots of chemicals, high in salt and often bad fats, and the natural ingredients have had their nutrients processed right out of them. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121CHASSY VINDICATED

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Paleo diet supposidely takes into account the evolution of our eating habits and focuses on foods that are 'biologically fit' for our bodies. Foods in this diet include meat, fish vegetables, fruits, unrefined oils and nuts and avoids mostly grains and processed foods. Some people also set one day a week for eating grains, claiming that surge of carbs with help keep their body in an anabolic state. Most people who advocate this diet claim that modern farming is one of the causes of modern diseases and that grains should not be consumed everyday for that reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That sounds pretty much like my diet, except that I also eat whole grains in moderation. I've got this dope flax and whole grain bread that really kills it with my eggs in the morning. Processed food is no good. Lots of chemicals, high in salt and often bad fats, and the natural ingredients have had their nutrients processed right out of them. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121CHASSY VINDICATED b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Haha! Pretty sure Chassy's working on the next big artificial flavoring agent. Got his eye on the molecular chain, yo!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Paleo diet supposidely takes into account the evolution of our eating habits and focuses on foods that are 'biologically fit' for our bodies. Foods in this diet include meat, fish vegetables, fruits, unrefined oils and nuts and avoids mostly grains and processed foods. Some people also set one day a week for eating grains, claiming that surge of carbs with help keep their body in an anabolic state. Most people who advocate this diet claim that modern farming is one of the causes of modern diseases and that grains should not be consumed everyday for that reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That sounds pretty much like my diet, except that I also eat whole grains in moderation. I've got this dope flax and whole grain bread that really kills it with my eggs in the morning. Processed food is no good. Lots of chemicals, high in salt and often bad fats, and the natural ingredients have had their nutrients processed right out of them. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121An almost complete elimination of grains is a big part of this diet tho since they say that they can play a key role in things like cancer, certain autoimmune diseases, irritable bowel syndrome, autism and a bunch of other stuff.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Foil helps retain moisture.b,121b,121It also depends on what type of potato your baking.b,121b,121Waxy potatoes dont need "foil".b,121b,121"Wrapping the potato in aluminium foil before cooking in a standard oven will help to retain moisture, while leaving it unwrapped will create a crispy skin." b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Why try to retain moisture in a potato? Butter will replace all of that lost water with improved flavor.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121An almost complete elimination of grains is a big part of this diet tho since they say that they can play a key role in things like cancer, certain autoimmune diseases, irritable bowel syndrome, autism and a bunch of other stuff. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Interesting. I have autistic bowel syndrome, and I've been unable to figure out the cause. Perhaps it's the bread.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Foil helps retain moisture.b,121b,121It also depends on what type of potato your baking.b,121b,121Waxy potatoes dont need "foil".b,121b,121"Wrapping the potato in aluminium foil before cooking in a standard oven will help to retain moisture, while leaving it unwrapped will create a crispy skin." b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Why try to retain moisture in a potato? Butter will replace all of that lost water with improved flavor. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121U sound fat.b,121b,121Your not going to retain ALL of it. U just dont want it dried out. I dont want powdered potatoes.b,121b,121Uv never had overcooked and cardboard-like baked potatoes or dry-ass french fries.b,121b,121Butter ≠ Water

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Paleo diet supposidely takes into account the evolution of our eating habits and focuses on foods that are 'biologically fit' for our bodies. Foods in this diet include meat, fish vegetables, fruits, unrefined oils and nuts and avoids mostly grains and processed foods. Some people also set one day a week for eating grains, claiming that surge of carbs with help keep their body in an anabolic state. Most people who advocate this diet claim that modern farming is one of the causes of modern diseases and that grains should not be consumed everyday for that reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That sounds pretty much like my diet, except that I also eat whole grains in moderation. I've got this dope flax and whole grain bread that really kills it with my eggs in the morning. Processed food is no good. Lots of chemicals, high in salt and often bad fats, and the natural ingredients have had their nutrients processed right out of them. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121An almost complete elimination of grains is a big part of this diet tho since they say that they can play a key role in things like cancer, certain autoimmune diseases, irritable bowel syndrome, autism and a bunch of other stuff. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Do people have any real faith in these kinda extreme diets? b,121Any stories of proven health benefits, compared to just a standard balanced diet?b,121b,121I'm pretty sceptical. I think my Grandfathers' generation were healthier than todays, and they ate unhealthy foods regularly, (bread and dripping anyone?) and lived through a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationing_in_the_United_Kingdom" target="_blank"1rationing.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Paleo diet supposidely takes into account the evolution of our eating habits and focuses on foods that are 'biologically fit' for our bodies. Foods in this diet include meat, fish vegetables, fruits, unrefined oils and nuts and avoids mostly grains and processed foods. Some people also set one day a week for eating grains, claiming that surge of carbs with help keep their body in an anabolic state. Most people who advocate this diet claim that modern farming is one of the causes of modern diseases and that grains should not be consumed everyday for that reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That sounds pretty much like my diet, except that I also eat whole grains in moderation. I've got this dope flax and whole grain bread that really kills it with my eggs in the morning. Processed food is no good. Lots of chemicals, high in salt and often bad fats, and the natural ingredients have had their nutrients processed right out of them. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121An almost complete elimination of grains is a big part of this diet tho since they say that they can play a key role in things like cancer, certain autoimmune diseases, irritable bowel syndrome, autism and a bunch of other stuff. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Do people have any real faith in these kinda extreme diets? b,121Any stories of proven health benefits, compared to just a standard balanced diet?b,121b,121I'm pretty sceptical. I think my Grandfathers' generation were healthier than todays, and they ate unhealthy foods regularly, (bread and dripping anyone?) and lived through a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationing_in_the_United_Kingdom" target="_blank"1rationing. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121No faith at all. This shit has gotten out of hand yet America's obesity rate had gone up in the last 15 years.b,121b,121Diets are complete illusions. Not all people eat the same. Its way too general.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Is wasnt suggesting potatoes as an energy source but something that would get broken down if you consumed in moderation and had a consistant workout regimen. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Well, your body will certainly metabolize the complex carbs and burn them off as a result of exercise, so you won't necessarily store as much of the energy as body fat as someone would who didn't work out, but the insulin spike from that amount of carbs is still bad for your body. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121i'm pretty sure this varies by genetics, and blood type. Due to historic availability of food sources different genetic types handle the food groups differently. While low carbs may be wise for you and yours I don't think it is true for everyone.

• i too have been reading up a lot on this shit and I think DB is right on point dudes.b,121it's not just about the carbs but rather controlling your insulin levels.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i too have been reading up a lot on this shit and I think DB is right on point dudes.b,121it's not just about the carbs but rather controlling your insulin levels. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121But unless you already have a diagnosed problem, this can be done with a normal healthy balanced diet, that includes carbs and evil grains. Really, the occasional baked potato aint going to do you no harm at all.

• I have known people that are/have been on the Paleo diet and they have said that it works out well. Most of them, however, are dedicated atheletes.b,121b,121I don't believe that this diet is extreme because, as far as I have learned, carbohydrates from grains are not essential nutrients. We have evolved without them and the introduction of modern farming and food processing has caused a shift in our diets (note that I do not follow this diet)b,121b,121To the person that said he has irritable bowel/autistic symptoms, as far as grains are concerned, most of those sympotoms are attributed to gluten in wheat, barley, spelt, etc. There is a book called the Carbohydrate Specific diet that talks about this (only in the newer version of the book tho, the older one doesn't go into detail about diseases)

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121To the person that said he has irritable bowel/autistic symptomsb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Uh, I was just joking, dude. I said I had autistic bowel syndrome.

• Oh okay sorry I read that fast since I encounter a lot of things like this in my studies and just assumed that I should give the typical answer

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I said I had autistic bowel syndrome. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Man, having an autistic bowel must suck. Unless it's one of those special autistic bowels that comes with some special powers. Can it play the piano like Mozart, or solve difficult maths equations?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I said I had autistic bowel syndrome. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Man, having an autistic bowel must suck. Unless it's one of those special autistic bowels that comes with some special powers. Can it play the piano like Mozart, or solve difficult maths equations? b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I wish! It just has a preternatural ability to play the pan flute. I fusking hate the pan flute. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    what about acoustic bowel syndrome?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I said I had autistic bowel syndrome. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Man, having an autistic bowel must suck. Unless it's one of those special autistic bowels that comes with some special powers. Can it play the piano like Mozart, or solve difficult maths equations? b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I wish! It just has a preternatural ability to play the pan flute. I fusking hate the pan flute. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121LOLz

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121what about acoustic bowel syndrome? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121We all have that dude.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121what about acoustic bowel syndrome? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121We all have that dude. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Right, so a diet based cure should be a pressing concern within the medical community. Can we get some kind of brown ribbon day?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121brown ribbon day? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121GROSS.