What’s the first CD you ever bought? (RR)

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
Inspired by Mylatency's Soundopinions board check.Being....ahem, older than some on this board, I remember with crystal clarity what my first CD was since it was such a huge sea change in 1985/86. I had won a TV at my high school graduation party and sold it to my folks, took the money they paid me and bought my first CD player. That same day I purchased Tom Waits' Raindogs[/b] on CD at the Mankato State University Student Union(do colleges still have cool record shops in 'em? Punk rock was born in this place as far as I could have told ya in my teens, it was a pretty influential place for me and my friends).So what's your story?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    brandy's first album

• DeeeLite "World Clique"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Guns'n'Roses.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I seem to remember buying this pretty early, but never in 85 when it came out... I don't think I'd seen a CD player then. probably more like 87-88

which is when I started learning that you pay extra for you favorite rap CD and it'll have AAD written on the back, and you got disappointed. Not that it really mattered when you play it on one of these

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    body count. one of my most disappointing purchases ever.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    That's almost 20 years ago. I was introduced to CD's in 1982. I know I've told this story before, but when they came out, there were special "audio rooms" at the store for it. You were able to see a CD spin in front of you, STANDING UP!, and it would play. But they were way too much. My dad, the music guy, wanted it but at $2000 or $2500, there was no way. I still remember going to Tower in Honolulu and seeing the first CD section, no bigger than an embrace. Loads of classical, and a few copies of Flashdance[/b].

But that AoN album was my first CD, and I still have it. I still bought vinyl and cassettes for the most part, and CD's I was still selective over what I did buy. As far as albums, I probably stopped buying tapes in 1994 or so, and stopped using them for recording and making mixes in 1998 or 1999, around the time they started coming out with reasonably priced CD burners.

I remember when Kiss came out with the first heavy metal album on CD, Animalize, and there was a bit of controversy because journalists feared it would be too loud, that it might destroy the CD player and perhaps the CD itself. I don't know if that's Gene Simmons superhype, or the classical people who didn't want their digital discs tainted with unserious music, but I remember reading letters from people who were worried about the volume.

Or the infamous letter in ICE Newsletter from someone who asked why LL Cool J's "Jingling Baby" had pops and snaps in the beginning of the song. The person had asked "in this day and age of digital, did they actually master this song straight off of a record? I may have to return this." ICE replied by saying "the crackle was added for dramatic effect".

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Nirvana nevermind. I think I stuck with tape cassettes a little later than most.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Boyz N' The Hood OST.

My dad copped it for me.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    late in the game (93 or 94),
    never wanted to give up the vinyl for those laser reflecters,
    couldn't find johnny taylor's "greatest hits" on vinyl,
    looked for months,
    bought the darn cd before i even bought a player
    but had to have dem "jody"" songs

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Ramones - All The Stuff & More Vol.1 (years later & I still haven't copped Vol.2)

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Gang Star - Daily Operation[/b] '93. I bought it to play at work. I didn't even own a CD player, only turntables and cassette decks. I used to scoff at the idea of buying a CD. It wasn't part of my lifestyle. Then I buckled because it was either that or suffer thorough hours of the bosses Gypsy Kings CDs.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Or the Redhead Kingpin album.

Dream Warriors.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Bought these with my first CD player in 87, I was 17 and just discovering music besides hip-hop and punk.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    BAD

Got this when I was 13.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Got this when I was 13.
    Hahaha, I had that shit on tape. 2 live crew edited verion, funny shit.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    "Louder Than Bombs" by The Smiths because it had, like, 21 tracks. And because that's what I was into at one point.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    I didn't even own a CD player, only turntables and cassette decks. I used to scoff at the idea of buying a CD.

that's exactly how i was. i eventually started acquiring promo CDs from working at college radio stations. i never purchased a CD player though(it was given to me).
    wait, what was the question?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Got my first CD player in January 1993. Went to the nearest bargain bin and bought Rock & Roll Party, Vol. 2, a compilation of R&B acts who recorded for the RCA label in the fifties.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Did you guys know CDs were made to increase profits because all other forms of media were much more expensive to produce?

Also mines was 2PAC - All Eyes On Me

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I was not an early adopter of compact disc techonology...I popped my CD "cherry" on this:

Beyond the nostalgia, I still think it's a fantastic album.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    3rd Bass Derelicts of Dialects.
    17th Birthday .

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    ATCQ - Low End Theory - didn't like it at first... cause i was looking for can i kick it and bonita applebum.

my dad paid for it! kinda cool at that time.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    Blackstreet - Another Level
    because i liked No Diggity.

but when i realized that the rest of the album was more soul/r'n'b-ish. (which i didn't like at that time) i traded with my brother. He gave me Body Count - Born Dead for it.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Ozzy Osbourne[/b] - Mama I'm Comin' Home (CD Single)

Hid it behind some other CDs until I could come back the next day to pick it up, like it was raer or something. Oh snap, I just got tooken back to 5th grade...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

Bjork - Post.