Ban birth control?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121Emergency doesn't have to be life and death.b,121The fear of being pregnant can feel very much like an emergency and again, it is not the place of a health practitioner to make that call for an individual.b,121b,121Ideally, the business/commercial aspect of pharmacy doesn't come first when dealing with patients and their needs. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Maybe I'm naive...are there really women having sex and then running to the Pharmacy the next morning to get the morning after pill??b,121b,121Don't you need a prescription? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121While I appreciate it is an easy-breezy conversation we're having, I feel like I need to say that "women having sex and then running to the Pharmacy the next morning to get the morning after pill??" is painting these situations in a much slacker and casual light than they can be.b,121b,121We do not need a prescription in Canada for it and there are not women running to pharmacies in droves every morning after a night of wanton and thoughtless sex. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Should a Doctor, as a health practicioner, be told by the government that he HAS to offer abortions as a service??

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121b,121While I appreciate it is an easy-breezy conversation we're having, I feel like I need to say that "women having sex and then running to the Pharmacy the next morning to get the morning after pill??" is painting these situations in a much slacker and casual light than they can be.b,121b,121We do not need a prescription in Canada for it and there are not women running to pharmacies in droves every morning after a night of wanton and thoughtless sex. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121Not since I left Canada anyways.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121As a married dude (and thus not worried about viruses), I'd take a BC pill for men if it existed. My wife gets tired of having to be the one to be responsible for it and I don't blame her but I'm not trying to get my tubes tied any more than she is. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Oliver are you saying you would never get a vasectomy? I have to say that if you're done having children it's absolutely the way to go. Done wonders for me and the Mrs. Plus, If you do it during football season you get to watch a games for a whole weekend uninterrupted while you are icing the johnson[/b]. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121You're not selling me on the idea so far. b,121b,121In any case, we're not 110% sure we're done with kids.

Rock: a drug and medical procedure are not comparable. (Ask any health insurance company )

Can someone who is a pharmacist answer this: if someone comes to you with a prescription for a medication you don't have in stock, are you normally expected/obligated to order it for them?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yes women over 18 can get Plan B w/o a prescription, and I like it that way personally.b,121b,121It has helped me in the past. There is no way in hell I can imagine being able to afford a little elise running around.b,121b,121It is our right.b,121b,121Right now, I am so sick of all this Palin bullshit about how us woman can relate to her. How a woman may lose her right of in case of an emergency does happen, she would need a pill. How she is great rom the woman stand point. I am so offended and apalled by what is being said from the Repubs, but i guess thats a whole nother thread.b,121b,121It's within 48 hours people(you take the pill). IMO and reality, not an abortion.b,121b,121while we are it...BAN MILK ! its got hormones and could potentially be bad for us.b,121b,121well some milk, but still I think it's crazy to take away anyones right of choice.

Quote:h,121b,121yes women over 18 can get Plan B w/o a prescription, and I like it that way personally.b,121b,121It has helped me in the past. There is no way in hell I can imagine being able to afford a little elise running around.b,121b,121It is our right.b,121b,121Right now, I am so sick of all this Palin bullshit about how us woman can relate to her. How a woman may lose her right of in case of an emergency does happen, she would need a pill. How she is great rom the woman stand point. I am so offended and apalled by what is being said from the Repubs, but i guess thats a whole nother thread.b,121b,121It's within 48 hours people(you take the pill). IMO and reality, not an abortion.b,121b,121while we are it...BAN MILK ! its got hormones and could potentially be bad for us.b,121b,121well some milk, but still I think it's crazy to take away anyones right of choice. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121You need to holler at your friends in all the "purple" states and tell 'em what you just wrote here. b,121b,121For real.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    sorry if it didnt make sense. I was on the roof absorbing some sun, like a real woman does in this country b,121b,121I couldnt see my screen that well.

Quote:h,121b,121Rock: a drug and medical procedure are not comparable. (Ask any health insurance company ) b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I was approaching it from the viewpoint of a "health practicioner" as was stated earlier.....if we can force a phamacist to offer certain products can we then force a doctor to offer certain services.b,121b,121As far as ordering items they don't stock, I would think that it would be a good business decision to do so, but they are certainly not obligated to do so by law.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    If it was me i'd walk in there and be like "you'll do what I fusking tell you NOW, bitch." and slap a phucking pharmacist. i mean reach right over the counter and slap 'em.

Quote:h,121b,121If it was me i'd walk in there and be like "you'll do what I fusking tell you NOW, bitch." and slap a phucking pharmacist. i mean reach right over the counter and slap 'em. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I'm trying to get a good mental image of this...b,121b,121Would you be carrying a banjo??

• Quote:h,121b,121b,121b,121We do not need a prescription in Canada for it and there are not women running to pharmacies in droves every morning after a night of wanton and thoughtless sex. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121 for Australia toob,121b,121Although i did know a girl who told me she bought a whole heap very cheap in Thailand and this i did think was rather irresponsible considering how the morning ater pill can ef with you body AND the fact that you could buy condoms even cheaper!! The way she was talking bout it was as though she wasn't planning on having sex but planning on being irresponsible and resting soley the m.a pill, not even thinking about std's or nothing!! i definately don't think it should be used soley as a contraception but shit happens, condoms can break, and a lot worse can happen obviously....

• Quote:h,121b,121Can someone who is a pharmacist answer this: if someone comes to you with a prescription for a medication you don't have in stock, are you normally expected/obligated to order it for them? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121expected? of course. this is america after allb,121b,121obligated? no

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121If it was me i'd walk in there and be like "you'll do what I fusking tell you NOW, bitch." and slap a phucking pharmacist. i mean reach right over the counter and slap 'em. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I'm trying to get a good mental image of this...b,121b,121Would you be carrying a banjo?? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Of course not, it might get scratched.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    heres a thought...b,121b,121should pharmacists stop selling new, clean needles to anyone that comes in?b,121b,121 should we ban that too?

• Quote:h,121b,121heres a thought...b,121b,121should pharmacists stop selling new, clean needles to anyone that comes in?b,121b,121 should we ban that too? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121That's such a stupid analogy.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121Should a Doctor, as a health practicioner, be told by the government that he HAS to offer abortions as a service?? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121 b,121b,121My initial reaction is to say if it is legal, then yes, the doctor should perform the procedure. And when they are considering the profession, they should expect that they may have to do so even if they don't agree with it. Just like they may not agree with circumcision or preventative mastectomies.b,121b,121But obviously it's not as easy or clear-cut as that. I think an ideal situation is that women have access to clinics and doctors who specialize in women's health, where it is a safe, educated and non-judgemental environment. Then they don't have to ask their regular doctor to do it and the regular doctor who just wants to be a regular doctor doesn't have to face the request. b,121b,121The question becomes more complicated in small communities where there is only one doctor. I would say in that case, the doctor should provide what they have been trained to do and is within their patients' right to request.

• dont doctors have to swear to some oath that they will put aside their personal politic when they practice medicine? or is this some cooked up tv shit i got running thru my brains.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Pharmacists are not doctors. They are dispensers of controlled substances. Like bartenders. The decision to prescribe is made by the doctor. The pharmacist is just pouring the drink. In the case of a non-prescription drug like the morning after pill, I can see how it would be legal not to stock it. But the thought of a pharmacist doing so is repulsive.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    i heard some bartenders refuse to make long island ice teas though, so there. they that shit is wack and wont do it, and i say, dont judge me motherfucker just get me drunk before i reach across that counter and slap you like a phucking farmacist, HO.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121heres a thought...b,121b,121should pharmacists stop selling new, clean needles to anyone that comes in?b,121b,121 should we ban that too? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121That's such a stupid analogy. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121ok, explain why you think that? since its so stupid.b,121b,121Maybe it would be best to not care about the people in this country. Maybe it would be best to just, not give a damn. Maybe we should just let them use those dirty needles. Maybe we should let women or young girls have children that they can't afford.b,121b,121b,121how stupid is that?

• Quote:h,121b,121Pharmacists are not doctors. They are dispensers of controlled substances. Like bartenders. The decision to prescribe is made by the doctor. The pharmacist is just pouring the drink. In the case of a non-prescription drug like the morning after pill, I can see how it would be legal not to stock it. But the thought of a pharmacist doing so is repulsive. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121huh? actually pharmacists are doctors. they receive a doctorate of pharmacology or whatevers, but yeah, i hear what you are trying to say.b,121b,121also, bartenders only deal in 1 controlled substance, though i dont think its controlled in the classic codeine sense. whereas pharmacists have to know a bunch of them as well as their possible reactions with other substances and they are required to inform the patient or whatevers of this. even if the real doctor already has.

• Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121heres a thought...b,121b,121should pharmacists stop selling new, clean needles to anyone that comes in?b,121b,121 should we ban that too? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121That's such a stupid analogy. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121ok, explain why you think that? since its so stupid.b,121b,121Maybe it would be best to not care about the people in this country. Maybe it would be best to just, not give a damn. Maybe we should just let them use those dirty needles. Maybe we should let women or young girls have children that they can't afford.b,121b,121b,121how stupid is that? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121OH, THE HUMANITY!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121Should a Doctor, as a health practicioner, be told by the government that he HAS to offer abortions as a service?? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121 b,121i think the dept of health and human services (HHS) is trying to put this "conscience clause" through. it's so health care workers don't have to mention certain birth control methods to patients if they find them morally wrong. i don't know if it's a senate bill or whatever. you can google it, i'm too lazy to find some official website or title.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121Pharmacists are not doctors. They are dispensers of controlled substances. Like bartenders. The decision to prescribe is made by the doctor. The pharmacist is just pouring the drink. In the case of a non-prescription drug like the morning after pill, I can see how it would be legal not to stock it. But the thought of a pharmacist doing so is repulsive. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121It's like I said: Pharmacists are valets with degrees. Just like a valet should have a licence to drive cars, a Pharmacist should have a Pharm.D (four years of study after two years of Pre-Pharm - read up on your read-ups.). If you don't want to drive an SUV because of the risk that it poses to the environment, then you should immediately consider a different career choice. Like, say, a bicycle salesman/woman.b,121b,121A valet provides a valuable service, but if they cannot perform their duties, another can easily take their place. Such should be the case with pharmacists.b,121b,121And you cannot fully equate the two professions that require PhDs and Pharm.Ds; I wouldn't want a pharmacist operating on my broken arm (not generally considered a life-saving operation), but I would want a skilled doctor taking the reins.b,121b,121Birth control - most commonly condoms and pills - are the most effective family planning devices among sexually active couples. There is little point to marriage if you cannot fulfill your duties as a spouse, and it's careless (and I would argue inhumane) to bring a child into this world without having planned for them in advance. There is nothing about birth control that can be reasonably called "immoral." The Plan B pill is NOT an abortifacient. From the FDA-approved manufacturer's website:b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121 How does Plan B work (mechanism of action)?b,121 Plan B is believed to act as an emergency contraceptive principally by preventing ovulation or fertilization (by altering tubal transport of sperm and/or ova). In addition, it may inhibit implantation by altering the endometrium. Plan B is not effective if a woman is pregnant. Plan B is a contraceptive and cannot terminate an established pregnancy.b,121b,121 Will Plan B harm an unborn fetus?b,121 There is no evidence that Plan B would harm a pregnant woman or a developing fetus if the product were accidentally taken during early pregnancy.... Plan B is not an abortifacient. It is an emergency contraceptive and should not be confused with RU486 or any other abortifacient. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121There is an obvious underlying thread behind the pharmacists that resist the full completion of their paid profession: most eventually would want to make all birth control over-regulated (and thus inconvenient) or illegal in this country. No one believes the pot-heads when they say that they're independently interested in the benefits of the hemp industry, no one believes the "benign intent" of proponents of abstinence-only education or Creationism in public schools, and no one should trust Pharmacists that deny women their legal right to regulate their bodies and responsibly plan for their family. Period.

• Where do they stand on sexual assault? If a woman was unfortunate enough to go through that, would they be expected to simply bask in the joy of their attackers child? Or do they get a pass?b,121b,121The fact that it's 2008 and we're even having this argument is simply facemelting. The M/A pill has rescued me and my girl twice in 6 years thanks to broken condoms. And what about the countries currently being forced to teach/practice birth control?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121Where do they stand on sexual assault? If a woman was unfortunate enough to go through that, would they be expected to simply bask in the joy of their attackers child? Or do they get a pass?b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Depends on whom you ask. I believe that John McCain is for the "except for cases of rape/incest" abortion provision, whereas Sarah Palin is not.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121b,121Birth control - most commonly condoms and pills - are the most effective family planning devices among sexually active couples. There is little point to marriage if you cannot fulfill your duties as a spouse, and it's careless (and I would argue inhumane) to bring a child into this world without having planned for them in advance. There is nothing about birth control that can be reasonably called "immoral." The Plan B pill is NOT an abortifacient. From the FDA-approved manufacturer's website:b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121 How does Plan B work (mechanism of action)?b,121 Plan B is believed to act as an emergency contraceptive principally by preventing ovulation or fertilization (by altering tubal transport of sperm and/or ova). In addition, it may inhibit implantation by altering the endometrium. Plan B is not effective if a woman is pregnant. Plan B is a contraceptive and cannot terminate an established pregnancy.b,121b,121 Will Plan B harm an unborn fetus?b,121 There is no evidence that Plan B would harm a pregnant woman or a developing fetus if the product were accidentally taken during early pregnancy.... Plan B is not an abortifacient. It is an emergency contraceptive and should not be confused with RU486 or any other abortifacient. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121There is an obvious underlying thread behind the pharmacists that resist the full completion of their paid profession: most eventually would want to make all birth control over-regulated (and thus inconvenient) or illegal in this country. No one believes the pot-heads when they say that they're independently interested in the benefits of the hemp industry, no one believes the "benign intent" of proponents of abstinence-only education or Creationism in public schools, and no one should trust Pharmacists that deny women their legal right to regulate their bodies and responsibly plan for their family. Period. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Yes.

• well put. exactly.

• i think you could add women to the list of things they hate, they even hate themselves. Thanks Jesus. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21