Night Club Owners...........

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited July 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
I don't know about any other cities but my own on this. It just seems to me that these clubs are just bad business and they do not care about making any money! I honestly think these guys have clubs to try to impress young sexy 21 year old girls and try to get some tang off em'. I could write pages of things these dumb ass club owners do to lose money but I'm not. I just wanted to write about this new spot I just started at in particular. They told me NO HIP HOP music at all! Strictly house, downtempo, soul, rare grooves etc. I was so so happy to dj here! Well of course an hour into my set of steve parks, Trilark, Mighty Ryders, etc. the club owner comes over to me all pissed off and asked me what was that shit I was playing????????? Please keep in mind every last customer was dancing and having a blast. He tells me THE BARTENDER wants to hear Nelly and Black Eyed Peas and stuff like that and to play it now. WTF????????? I play there again tonight and I'm not sure what musical direction HE wants me to go in. He is saying play hip hop now but the sexy kind. What a fucking joker! I told him he knows what time it is with me and to let me do me and just own the club and worry about making money as a good business man. I told him it is rude to tell a dj what and how to play and when and that I don't come into his club and tell him to remodel because it's kind of ugly!!!! Feel me? If we wants to stick to the script and create a dope different club night for our city with good music being played then lets do that but if not this will be my last night. This guy really wanted me to dj for the bartender instead of the paying customers. LOL.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    make as much money as you can off his dumb ass while finding a new place to play

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    just grab a beer bottle and smash the f**kwit.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    not to mention all the cocaine...

yeah no shit,

fuck bullshit club owners. club owners are DEFINITELY into this business to get laid. of fucking course. do they know one fucking thing about music??? no. night club owners are always half ass promoters acting like they know, and are really praying that they booked the right person. i love that "play the sexy kind of hip hop" shit. that is soooo real. it's like, "yeah we want it funky, jazzy, bla bla bla" but they won't be happy unless you play milkshake. i try to stay away from situations like these, i am too much of a prick to deal with idiots of this calibur.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    My good friend was hired to play hip hop at a big downtown spot and was asked to play a good amount of classic shit... Drops Protect Ya Neck and the owner run over right away and says with the most serious face... "Don't play any of that hardcore shit. I don't want people to get to excited"

wtf?

I felt like reaching over and picking up the needle and droppin' it at the beginning again! Bom Bom Bom Bom....

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    "Don't play any of that hardcore shit. I don't want people to get to excited"

wtf?

Don't act like people don't get riled up off of shit.

Club owners have insurance, people tear shit up, insurance goes up. It's like any business, except clubs mostly cater to drunken fools.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

wtf?

Club owners have insurance, people tear shit up, insurance goes up. It's like any business, except clubs mostly cater to drunken fools.

Oh.. I forgot to say.. It was in one of those clubs where it's got shit like a dress code and other measures. The club was 70% women...

I could have understood if fools got up and started to throw their shit around. But all that happened was some people yelled out at the beginning and then went back to dancing with the ladies they were with.

But so what.. Even if they do get a lil out of hand... They got 30 bouncers for what? I'm not saying that it's a good thing. But tell a DJ to bring classic hip hop... Don't play Wu Tang? Maybe he should have told him to bring PM Dawn...

• i am too much of a prick to deal with idiots of this calibur.

classic.

After reading this and listing to all the "Do You Have Anything That I Can Dance To..." stories I've come to the conclusion that people or the general public or whoever just dont understand how or what DJing consisits of.

You just can't please all the people, all the time. Plain and simple.

'Preme - make your money for as long as you can and bounce. That shit sounds like a headache, and will have you second-guessing every record you drop.

My 2 cents - when I play at a place for the first time at a club or if they say some "Don't play this or that kind of music", I ususally pack a hodge podge crate of sure fire hits and lowest common denominator shit (a little bit of everything) and just try to feel vibe. If they come at me later in the night wanting hip-hop (and they ALWAYS do). Boom, I got it covered.

If you don't rock the top 40 or are fortunite enough to read people's minds, your only hope is that you fall in to a place that has a like-minded clintele.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    You just can't please all the people, all the time. Plain and simple.

Two requests from the same (Sunday, dead, doing-it-just-for-the-money) restaurant/club gig the other week:

REQUEST 1

Young Guy: Do you have any Daft Punk?

then about 20 minutes later

REQUEST 2

Middle Aged Woman: Do you have any Southern Rock? Like Lynrd Skynrd or Marshall Tucker Band.

I split the difference and played 80s boogie 12"s.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    not to mention all the cocaine...

i love that "play the sexy kind of hip hop" shit. that is soooo real. it's like, "yeah we want it funky, jazzy, bla bla bla" but they won't be happy unless you play milkshake.

my homeboy was playing a really A-List spot and the owner (who had already asked him not to invite his [black] friends the week before) said "don't play dance music if "unsexy" people are dancing. "only keep the energy up if sexy people are dancing." these dudes all have their heads up their asses. high on cocaine and anxious as fuck coming over to the booth asking you to change it up every five minutes - relax. i know what i am doing. trust me to play it right or hire somebody else.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    it's obvious to me this club owner has something going on with the bartender. peace. stein . .

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i think the key in these situations is to either grin and bear it or cut your losses. if they're paying you 50 dollars an hour or over, to play fucking records, just nod your head at whatever they say and collect your money. if what they're paying is not worth their cokehead antics, split. whenever i am DJing in not totally fun situations (any place i may need to play nothing but hits and top 40 hip hop etc) i make sure they know what i sound like, if they've seen me spin before, etc. i also make sure to talk to them about what i spin. b/c if i show up with a crate of old school hip hop and disco 12"'s and they want Groove Armada, we're wasting both our time.

if you pay me enough, i'll play hits all night. if you pay me little, i'll entertain myself. owners are wack, but they foot the bills, you can't fight city hall...

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    you can burn down city hall...

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts
    Your story is all too familiar to most of us and regardless of where you go, shit like this always goes down.

Im with what the other person said "Make your money and in the meantime find another joint"

• Options
    Throw a themed party of music you like. Get like-minded to come there. You'll never be more happy.

K.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Throw a themed party of music you like. Get like-minded to come there. You'll never be more happy.

K.

i agree but it is unrealistic to try to make a living doing that.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    if you pay me little, i'll entertain myself

Hello sailor!

• Options

K.

Agreed. But if you have other things going on, it can become a healthy supplement to your income.

K.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tell the bartender - "I mix the records and you mix the drinks!"

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

K.

Agreed. But if you have other things going on, it can become a healthy supplement to your income.

K.

no doubt. everybody should have at least monthly where you just do you (no ayo) and don't worry about the money too much.

these gigs just pop up, and if you want instant money (even though you know whats going to happen) you'll take the gig. occupational hazards.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Tell the bartender - "I mix the records and you mix the drinks!"
    NICE!!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    This is classic! Check the email I recieved from him this morning:

"Music was fantastic last night. In the future I see the
    music going from where it was last night, into more of a dancey, hip hop,
    funk, hip-house, tech-funk, electro-hop, disco-soul.......whatever you feel like conjuring up and makes the girls nod
    there heads and shake their butts, as the room fills up and people get their
    insobriety on. This room always starts out loungey and ends up clubby."

You see what I'm dealing with here............

"In the future I see hip-house.......tech-funk......electro-hop.......whatever you feel like ........ people get their insobriety on....... starts out loungey and ends up clubby

gheezus christ.

in the future i see technotronic, nine inch nails, milkshake remix, me telling you what to play, jocks getting drunk.

and every promoter loves to say lounge. or ultra lounge. some dickhead promoter was actually trying to tell me about why his club is better than a lounge, why? "because it's an ultralounge, this town is sick of lounges, we need an ultralounge"

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    ...the girls nod
    there heads and shake their butts.

That's hard to do. Like saying "no" while nod your head.

Is your boss unusually short?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    all y'all haters need to get with the sick tech funk in the ultralounge

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

funk, hip-house, tech-funk, electro-hop, disco-soul.......whatever you feel like conjuring up and makes the girls nod

Classic material, no doubt. This is exactly why I have no desire whatsoever to be a real fo' real dj. I swear, I don't know how y'all guys can stand it.

• numericnumeric 152 Posts

He clearly wants more US3.

Glad to know I am not the only one dealing with similar issues.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

wtf?

i have dodged many a glass ash tray in basement part of a bar in the LES of manhattan, more than once. however i could play protect ya neck, cream, ain't nuthin to f*ck wit when ever i wanted....just as long as they were movin.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    In the future I see the
    funk, hip-house, tech-funk, electro-hop, disco-soul

HAHAHA how bout some death-house or some tech-folk? priceless.