REALLY GOOD FINAL ALBUMS

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited February 2019 in Music Talk
We can talk about strong debut elpees for a good 5+-page thread. But how 'bout some of the fabled LAST albums, before the band broke up, or the artist either died, retired, or just stopped making records altogether? Even though these kind of albums are usually desperate last gasps, some acts went out on a high note...- Chairmen Of The Board, Skin I'm In- Rascals, The Island Of Real- Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band, You're So Beautiful- Raspberries, Starting Over- Booker T. & the MG's. Melting Potfeel free to add on(but im not including reunion albums, or posthumous put-togethers like Led Zeppelin's Coda)

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    bigs final as in 'i died and made some songs before that and here it is all tied up in a package'. i really think this is a mediocre album at best. im sure ill be hated on but i dont think this should be in "really good" anything category.

old mans perspective... carry on.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Life After Death was released 2 weeks after his death. If you don't like the album that's one thing, but to say it was some posthumous thrown together affair is just wrong.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    UGK's last effort was pretty solid - the Too Short track was one of my favourites from last year. Coltrane's Expressions was pretty good, not sure if that was his very last tho.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    My Bloody Valentine, "Loveless".
    And a Swedish favourite, Saidiwas "All punk cons".

Waiting for someone to say "2001"...

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

At this point, he can't make another. Where do you go from there? This is a PERFECT final album.

Slate had a good article on this a few months back. (btw, if I had a dollar for everytime I said, "Slate had a good article on ...." on this website, I could pay for Raj's bandwidth for a couple years.)

NMH Slate Article

• Coltrane's Expressions was pretty good, not sure if that was his very last tho.
    It's hard to pinpoint what his very last recording was. Maybe some of the experts on here can tell us.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Coltrane's Expressions was pretty good, not sure if that was his very last tho.
    It's hard to pinpoint what his very last recording was.

for the purpose of this thread, it could just be the last all-new thing to come out while he was alive

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

At this point, he can't make another. Where do you go from there? This is a PERFECT final album.

NMH earns appreciation here every now and then, and for good reason. It is a true ALBUM in the sense that it's cohesive and pretty much seamless. It's a rare recently recorded LP where you feel obligated to listen from start to finish. Skipping through tracks does it a disservice otherwise.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Coltrane's Expressions was pretty good, not sure if that was his very last tho.
    It's hard to pinpoint what his very last recording was.

for the purpose of this thread, it could just be the last all-new thing to come out while he was alive

Expressions is very good.

I dont listen to Sexual Healin' str8 thru. But it still has status.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    New York Dolls - Too Much Too Soon (subsequent reunions just don't count)
    The Only Ones - Baby's Got a Gun ( I like it a lot, anyway)
    Velvet Underground-Loaded (Squeeze and subsequent reunions just don't count)
    Stooges- Raw Power (subsequent reunions just don't count)
    MC5 - High Time

co-sign on that Raspberries LP, that is a great record.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

(not sure which one is final, but regardless they are both really good)

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    well here's a head scratcher!?!? pete nice only album,you cant even find it anywhere....

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

I second that one. It's not just a good album; from start to finish it actually feels like a farewell, or at least like the band knew it was their last.

how about...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    bigs final as in 'i died and made some songs before that and here it is all tied up in a package'. i really think this is a mediocre album at best. im sure ill be hated on but i dont think this should be in "really good" anything category.

old mans perspective... carry on.

Naw dude, I agree. I think there are some incredible songs on here but I never agreed that it was some brilliant, next-level album.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Okay, it's not the touchstone that their first album was, but Moby Grape's 20 Granite Creek is still a good album in spite of that...

hello?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts