"All Salad-ed Out b/w Droppin' Pounds"

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Hey,I'm finally getting serious about exercising and dropping pounds. Man, I've cut the carbs in a major way, eatin' lean meats and mad salad (sick of it, actually), and I've taken off 20 pounds. Anyway else out there trying to drop pounds? Let's support each other in this because it can be tough.Peace,Big Stacks from KakalakP.S. Man, that Sbarro's Pizza in the (Rutgers's) Livingston Student Center calls out to me like crack did Pookie!

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Some big things to cut out are high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. This stuff is really the pits for your body, but cutting it out also eliminates your ability to eat 99% of junk food--if you can be dilligent about it. I've been experimenting with eliminating cow's milk from my diet, or keeping it to one serving a week, and I'm feeling pretty good. i've heard people cite significant weight loss from cutting out soda.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Hemol,

Actually, I mostly drink water (occasionally fruit juice) and no sodas. I'm not a huge eater, but I would eat badly on every now and then (e.g., pizza, wings, chug beer, etc.). The big thing for me was being very sedentary, being a prof and all. I always drop weight quickly when I get up off my fat ass and exercise. T**i is pissed because I've lost more weight than her. She can't see me!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    sedentary

More fresh fruits and veggies. If you drink coffee switch to tea. Glad to know that you're eating healthy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    If you drink coffee switch to tea.

What does this have to do with weight loss??

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Not weight loss, lethargy. Tea has way less caffeine, and the body has an easier time processing it, thus you won't be all ate up after a few cups. However, now that I think of it Pu-Erh tea is supposed to help with weight loss. In general, making a habit of drinking tea is a good move for your health. From what I've heard/read, there are studies that show that making a lifetime habit of drinking tea strengthens the immune system, and helps to prevent cancer.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Had my tonsils taken out again and haven't been able to eat in a week. That's the best way, folls.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I need to lose some too, I went back home to visit family for the first time in a few months & everyone was giving me grief about getting a gut. I think it's mostly to do with doing nothing in the way of physical exercise. I think I might try & start skateboarding again, I just put new hardware on one of my old decks from 15+ years ago, should be interesting to see how that goes.....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Not weight loss, lethargy. Tea has way less caffeine, and the body has an easier time processing it, thus you won't be all ate up after a few cups.

My High Scool Hippie Physiology Teacher told us that this was big MYTH.

But back in the 80s, the Black/Green Tea game wasnt mainstreamed yet.

Either way SUGAR IS THE DEVIL...SUGAR IS THE DEVIL....SUGE KNIGHT IS THE DEVIL...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    yeah i need to drop a couple here. i'm down to a 2 pack/modified 4 pack. i seem to never be able to get rid of the last bit. i think it might have to do with eating burritos & drinking beer on the weekends...and on the weekdays, lol

i just started making smoothies again, and this helped me last year maintain eliminating any extra weight gain because they would fill me up. like last night after my soccer game all i had was a smoothie [banana/strawberry/honey/very vanilla silk], a bag of pretzels, and a vitamin water. yay for health! sorry, this probably wasn't any help.

ohh, and i run 3 miles 3 times a week.

• I have a very bad coca-cola habit, i went last few days without one, I'm thinking about one now, i'm resisting. I am rather out of shape but I signed up at the YW recently and by maintaining a 3-4 time a week average of hitting that place up has made a significant difference in my life. Got stamina and all sortsa shit. Not drinking beer really helps!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Not weight loss, lethargy. Tea has way less caffeine, and the body has an easier time processing it, thus you won't be all ate up after a few cups.

My High Scool Hippie Physiology Teacher told us that this was big MYTH.

But back in the 80s, the Black/Green Tea game wasnt mainstreamed yet.

Most tea actually has more caffeine, in the plant, than coffee. But because tea's only an light infusion, less is passed on to the drinker.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Word stacks, i've been on a health trip for a while now.
    I have found that Im doing much better when trying to think of what new foods to put in my diet as opposed to what i should cut out.
    ive added a lot of walnuts, blueberries, avocado, and turkey to my diet lately.
    Also, make sure you hit up those weights man, nothing will burn fat like some good resistance

I LOVE COFFEE BTW.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I been on basically on veggies/salad, lean meat, a few carbs here and there and 3 workouts a week for the last 3 weeks or so and I've already dropped 12 pounds and noticed an increase in muscle mass.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm hollering at the old food pyramid these days. Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, and skim milk, with some cheese and yogurt mixed in. Low fat, no refined sugar except in the coffee, and wine instead of beer (mostly). Lots of exercise, and there you go. Pretty simple, really. I find a well-balanced diet keeps me from craving anything.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Is it true that if you drop off doing weights, the muscle turns to fat - not that you just lose strength/definiton?

Is it true that if you drop off doing weights, the muscle turns to fat - not that you just lose strength/definiton?

I can't give any scientific backing for that but it definitely appears to be true, at least in my case.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ohh, and i run 3 miles 3 times a week.

Is that what your Ralph Lauren Chaps gear is for?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    cripes - I wish I knew that before - I don't think I want to do this for the rest of my life! I've been swimming twice a week, maybe I'll ease off the weights and hopefully swimming will pick up the slack.

cripes - I wish I knew that before - I don't think I want to do this for the rest of my life! I've been swimming twice a week, maybe I'll ease off the weights and hopefully swimming will pick up the slack.

So no Jack Lalanne for you?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

haha, thats not true
    atrophy does happen though, your muscles get smaller doesnt mean then turn into anything else

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Stacks,

Stay away from the Sbarro. The crack too.

Best of luck,
    JRoot (could stand to drop 10 ell bees)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey JRoot,

I've done a great job of avoiding both (especially crack, since I've never done base), but I love pizza! In the name of weight loss and good health, I've kept up the discipline by consistent exercise and eating right. I hope to get down to my ideal weight by the end of the year (slow, steady weight loss is best), which is possible if I keep on pace. Thanks for the support people, and good luck to those working on their health and well-being.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

:hard:

Is that what your Ralph Lauren Chaps gear is for?

C[/b]oulda H[/b]ad A[/b] P[/b]olo S[/b]weater

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hey JRoot,

I've done a great job of avoiding both (especially crack, since I've never done base), but I love pizza! In the name of weight loss and good health, I've kept up the discipline by consistent exercise and eating right. I hope to get down to my ideal weight by the end of the year (slow, steady weight loss is best), which is possible if I keep on pace. Thanks for the support people, and good luck to those working on their health and well-being.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

You could get all hippie/bourgie with it and make your own pizza at home, with whole wheat flour crust and shit.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Stacks,

You may want to consider adding a protein shake as a meal replacement. Be sure to avoid brands like Muscle Milk, though, as they are usually pretty high in fat.

Also, are you eating 5-7 small meals a day? That's a great way to boost your metabolism.

• I do the jail routine workout, couple reps of 15 pushups, then situps, then 5-10 pullups three times a week. walk around 2 miles a day to work and back sometimes a casual walk or bike ride in the evening if its nice out. lots of ping-pong.

Vegetables are key, no refined flour, cut as much sugar as you can (somebody mentioned vitamin water, that stuff has tons of sugar in it..) eat brown rice, yogurt, steam, bake, or boil things, dont pan fry, if you do use conservative amounts of olive oil.

If you eat fiber it moves what you eat through your system so you dont absorb as much, while still getting what you need. Lots of spinach, broccoli, asparagus, whole grains. that kashi golean cereal tastes great and gives you tons of fiber and protein. Not necessary but I went vegetarian (really only sporadically ate chicken and turkey anyway) I eat lots of tofu and veggie burgers, brats. made an insanely good veggie chili last week.

Not sure if its fact but I heard that spicy food helps you out (well it makes you drink more water anyway) I eat alot of korean, spicy soups with bok choy, tofu, sprouts etc, mushrooms, udon, cayenne, sesame oil. kim chee is really good for you on a macro level. get creative, learn how to season things.

Portions are super important too. you can eat pizza, just dont eat half a pizza, a regular serving is like two slices, get vegetables on it, and order a salad. you go out to eat, eat half of what they bring you and take the rest home. If you eat smaller portions for a while it will be tough for you to overeat, which is a good habit to develop.

I drink but maybe one or two beers while chilling in the studio, but lately its been none, instead of a four or five every night like in college, I still go out late during the weekends.

coffee every day, skim milk, no sugar. kashi granola bar, non-fat yogurt with some berries and wheat germ.

If you eat well all week, go out once a week to your favorite restaraunt and order whatever the hell you want.

I went from a size 36 to a size 31 pants in the past 6 months. got rid of that italian fat face curse, and just generally feel healthy. I feel really good and its going to be better in the long run.

listen to DJ Coma Toast...that's pretty much my routine right there minus the meats.

also, get down with "How to Eat to Live". i read that book years ago, and although some of it's crazy...it does dish out some good food knowledge for the godbody.

kim chee is really good for you on a macro level.

Hmmm... Not so fast with the Kimchi. Kimchi is known to be a direct cause of stomach ulcers and cancer. Korea has the highest rate of stomach cancer and ulcers in the world. I've cut it almost entirely out of my diet (after eating it with almost every dinner).

"The researchers, all South Korean, report that kimchi and other spicy and fermented foods could be linked to the most common cancer among Koreans. Rates of gastric cancer among Koreans and Japanese are 10 times higher than in the United States.

"We found that if you were a very, very heavy eater of kimchi, you had a 50% higher risk of getting stomach cancer," said Kim Heon of the department of preventive medicine at Chungbuk National University and one of the authors. "It is not that kimchi is not a healthy food ??? it is a healthy food, but in excessive quantities there are risk factors." "

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/21/too-much-kimchi-migh.html

Everything in it's right proportion.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Absolutely. Spicy and smoked foods in large quantities over extended periods of time increase the incidence of several types of cancer. But that said, just about anything in large enough amounts is toxic, so just practice some moderation and keep switching things up, and you'll be alright. Or at least as alright as the next man.

• kim chee is really good for you on a macro level.

Hmmm... Not so fast with the Kimchi. Kimchi is known to be a direct cause of stomach ulcers and cancer. Korea has the highest rate of stomach cancer and ulcers in the world. I've cut it almost entirely out of my diet (after eating it with almost every dinner).

"The researchers, all South Korean, report that kimchi and other spicy and fermented foods could be linked to the most common cancer among Koreans. Rates of gastric cancer among Koreans and Japanese are 10 times higher than in the United States.

"We found that if you were a very, very heavy eater of kimchi, you had a 50% higher risk of getting stomach cancer," said Kim Heon of the department of preventive medicine at Chungbuk National University and one of the authors. "It is not that kimchi is not a healthy food ??? it is a healthy food, but in excessive quantities there are risk factors." "

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/21/too-much-kimchi-migh.html

interesting....I could see how it would be on a with every meal type basis, It is very acidic. Im talking like a little bit in some bibimbap or with some brown rice every once in a while.