Cratediggers.com ????? WTF??

Comments

• CR8DGRSCR8DGRS 76 Posts
    Yeah Ivan and I have talked about this a couple times.... It's not a small thing.

Forget having records, you need serious e-commerce experience to pull this off. Ebay is not some tiny start-up, it is a HUGE mega-corp with major capitalization and the best in the world behind their engineering and programming. You can't design an alternative with your homie that does web design in his spare time or basic html and a few banner ads or blog mentions. You need some real silicon valley expertise to make it happen, a huge advertising campaign and not to mention BIG TIME financing.

If I were to do something like this I would have to leverage my entire stock. How else can you convince dealers and buyers that it's for real? And even that wouldn't be enough - I'd need several other top end dealers who would be willing to make the same commitment.

All of which is to say, #1 - this is not a new idea, people have been trying to create an alternative to ebay and nothing yet has supplanted it, and #2 - despite your clear willingness to take risks and your energy and commitment, you need a lot more than a good idea and some drive to pull something like this off.

I'll be in the shop all weekend so if you want to come down we can chat in person.

Johnny, I will be in NYC Sunday May 4th. If anyone else would like to meet up - that would be great. I usually get in the city early, and could probable be at the shop around 12 or 1pm.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I'm going to be a complete dick, but you've gotta step up the grammar/spelling if you're serious about all of this. I know it's just a message board and you're posting on the fly, but:
    Know reason to feel bad about truth.

and

one probable does exist

if you've ever gotten a paypal or ebay spam/scam then you'd know that you sound like one. Little things like that would have me second guessing involvement and checking my little padlock security icon in the corner of safari.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just pointing out some blunt realities.

I'm going to be a complete dick, but you've gotta step up the grammar/spelling if you're serious about all of this. I know it's just a message board and you're posting on the fly, but:
    Know reason to feel bad about truth.

and

one probable does exist

if you've ever gotten a paypal or ebay spam/scam then you'd know that you sound like one. Little things like that would have me second guessing involvement and checking my little padlock security icon in the corner of safari.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just pointing out some blunt realities.

I'm the worlds worst speller - and my grammar is a close second. What else would you like to know?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Johnny, I will be in NYC Sunday May 4th. If anyone else would like to meet up

That's cool and all but I will be here working - I can chop it with you for a bit but I'm not trying to hold a conference on your website. No offense.

the only real spit on this whole joke of a thread

you may be right.

I have to admit that you're probably in over your head Brix. It'd be cool if you could prove us all wrong, but you've got an uphill battle ahead of you.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    What else would you like to know?

I would like to know how exactly you intend to recycle the vinyl
    That seems to be the one question you can't answer.

Also I Read your TOS and I'm not sure what is considered standard or normal but this part of your TOS is a little creepy:

How CrateDiggers Uses your Information

Sponsorship or Promotions ??? CrateDiggers may use your information to contact you directly, customize content, answer your questions or concerns or in relation to sponsorship and/or promotional activities (this would be basic demographic information, not detailed Personal Information). For example, a sponsor may want access to a certain demographic among our users ??? women between the ages of 18 and 34 in the New York, Tri-State region [/b] In such cases, we will not provide Personal Information to the sponsor nor will the sponsor contact you directly (CrateDiggers is always the intermediary), but the sponsor will be aware that you (and others) fall within the criteria specified.

Also I noticed that Gender is a required field to sign up.

wilde corny.

raer wild.

For example, a sponsor may want access to a certain demographic among our users ??? women between the ages of 18 and 34 in the New York, Tri-State region [/b] In such cases, we will not provide Personal Information to the sponsor nor will the sponsor contact you directly (CrateDiggers is always the intermediary), but the sponsor will be aware that you (and others) fall within the criteria specified.

Woah!

this thread is aresome.

No transgenders shall be allowed to cratedig.

I was gonna say, what if I'm a cr8digger in the tri-state area but I'm looking for some male-to-male cut up...

Can a dude live???

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    One thing I still don't get is that you said you obviously didn't do the right kind of market research, but if you google crate diggin soul strut is the third link on the page. What kind of market research did you do? Pardon me for saying so but this shit seems really half assed.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    this thread is aresome.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Basics of Crate Digging - Still Lookin' for the Perfect Beat
    Before reading a copy of Big Daddy and logging onto eBay to buy a $1000.00 copy of Third Guitar you might wanna read this first.

By DJ Day (originally published at www.turntable2k.com)

An often overlooked element of hip hop, record collecting has been an integral part of the culture since day one. From the days of Bam's infamous collection to the current culture of eBay and reissues there has been a need to have the illest and most unknown breaks. Since its birth, Hip Hop has always been about flipping records whether rocking the party or making a beat, it all comes down to the records you have and how creative you can be. Now with the internet there's a double edge situation. Diggers can finally find that copy of Stark Reality they've been looking for, while every herb with a link to the Sample Faq and his parents credit card can go buckwild. Knowledge is gained in stages so you need to start with the basics. You can't jump into funk 45's without going thru the CTI or the Capitol catalog first.
    There's a lot of information to go thru so to help you weed thru the wack I've laid down some simple guidelines that should help you get started.

1. Buy a portable turntable. I wish I would have done this when I started out. It'll save you money in the long run and keep you from coming home with wackness. The game is hit and miss but that'll help you out ??? ba-lee-dat!

2. Timeline/Song Titles: Looking at the year that the record came out can save your ass. Don't just look at the cover cause you can end up going home with some pre smooth jazz or proto disco weakness. The key years for most dope records are between 1968 and 1975. You can find some heat all the way into the 80's but to keep it simple you should stick to around these years. Also check the song listings on the back. Covers of songs like Put Your Hand in The Hand and Get Out My Life Woman deliver a break 9 times outta 10

3. Labels: Most labels like CTI, Prestige, People etc. kept to the same musical format, so finding something you like and checking other albums on the same label can sometimes help you find more of what you're looking for.

4. Musicians/Instruments: Reading who played on the album (ie. Bernard Purdie, Idris Muhammed etc.) can help you out as you begin to learn more about the musicians who play on a lot of these records. Most of the time it'll give you an idea of the type of style and sound of the record. Also read what instruments are played. If you see banjo and spoons you should probably think twice, but clav, rhodes, horns, etc. are usually safe bets.

5. Don't Limit What You Look For: Just because you see a guy with an afro doesn't mean its a dope record and just because you see a bunch of rednecks doesn't mean its wack. Most people would stay away from Black Oak Arkansas by the cover alone. Small unheard of groups and labels, college and high school bands, movie soundtracks etc can sometimes deliver the heat you so desire. Keep an open mind - most of the cats from that time did when it came to music.

6. Ask Anyone and Everyone for Records: A lot of records I got were free (or at least hella cheap). People tend to want to get rid of their space consuming records so take advantage of that. Ask people at your job, your neighbors and relatives if they want to get rid of their collection. I had a lady come into my work one time and the topic of records came up. Next thing you know she drove back with a crate for free. I got home and found Scores in there so don't be afraid to open your mouth.

7. Where to Go: Thrift stores, Salvation Army, garage sales, record conventions, trades, even putting a want ad in paper can yield the funk.

8. E-Digging: Before you spend your (or your kids) college tuition on eBay see #7. Its important to get your hands dirty before resorting to the internet. There's still a lot to be found out there so get off you ass and find it!

9. Talk to Other Diggers: Having a friend that digs can put you up on stuff you might have passed up or didn't know about. A lot of the knowledge gets passed this way.

10. Reissues and Comps: Ahhh the touchiest subject of them all. My feeling is, if you don't have $50 to spend on a record you may never even find then grab the brand new $9.99 copy. Some of the reissues are here and gone so do whatcha gotta do. BUT...don't get crazy with it, I try to keep my reissues to a minimum. If you get out and dig then you should be able to cop one now and then, but nothing can take the place of an original that you've been looking for and find after hours of getting your hands dirty. Comps can give you info on artists you might not have heard before (but if its on a comp you probably won't find it without dropping BIG change!) and they're both safer to take out and dj with than the originals. It all depends on your digging ethics. This has always been a controversial topic and will probably continue to be.

That about sums up the basics, now some records to get you started.

CTI/KUDU - (I recommend starting with this label.)

"Kudu, an African mammal with long spiked horns, connoted Black pride in an era that was very politicized by such things. Even the logo for Creed Taylor's first subsidiary label used the colors of the African flag to signal its mission, which Taylor described as "a black awareness label, more commercial oriented than CTI and indigenous to the black popular music of the United States."

Hey, if CTI is good enough for People Under the Stairs to jack their logo, its good enough for you! These records are around are are affordable so get ta lookin'!
    (*see resources for more info.)

Some must have CTI's :

Bob James 1 thru 3
    Deodato - Prelude
    Grover Washington Jr. - Feels So Good
    Mister Magic
    Reed Seed
    Live at the Bijou
    A Secret Place

Jazz Records to get you started:

1. Herbie Hancock - Headhunters: A great record. No real "breaks" on here but its still a must have.
    2. Billy Cobham - Spectrum/Crosswinds: both dope records, a little too hectic at times, but they have some solid cuts.
    2. John Klemmer - Blowin' Gold/Magic Moments: If you can't find Blowin' Gold grab Magic Moments. Its a "best of" compilation that has "Free Soul".
    3. The Crusaders - Southern Comfort/Chain Reaction: more all around dope records. I love these guys. There's also quite a few notable samples on these.
    4. Tom Scott - Tom Cat/Tom Scott and the LA Express: Tom Cat's a mellow album with some really dope moments.TS & the LA Express has the classic break "Sneakin' in the Back".
    5. Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces: classic. classic. classic.
    6. Ramsey Lewis - Mother Natures Son/Maiden Voyage: MNS is slept on, there's some really good cuts on there and Maiden Voyage has a nice drum break, also the sample for "Case of the PTA" by LONS.
    7. Bobbi Humphry - Bobbi Humphrey's Best: comp of some of her best songs (Harlem River Drive, Uno Esta) on one LP. If you can't find Blacks and Blues, Satin Doll etc. cop this.
    8. Ronnie Laws - Pressure Sensitive: another classic record with the O.G. for "Who Got Da Props" by Black Moon.
    9. Les Crane - Desiderata: weird sort of spoken word album with some nice drums
    10. Quincy Jones - You've Got it Bad Girl: has the cut "Summer in the City" which the Pharcyde used for "Passin' Me By". Superstition has a pretty funky intro and there's some samplable moments on there. Not to mention the theme from Sanford and Son. Now you can put on a show for your family in that dump you call a room.

Soul Records

1. Marvin Gaye - Here My Dear/I Want You: Two of my personal favorites from one of the greatest.
    2. Donnie Hathaway - Live: one of THE best covers of "What's Goin' On". He gives Marvin a run for his money with t hat one. Plus the classic "Little Ghetto Boy". Donnie was one of the best.
    3. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life/Innervisions: man I shouldn't have to say ANYTHING about these.
    4. Bill Withers - Still Bill/Just as I Am: the classic "Still Bill" break and Better Off Dead make these two a sure shot.
    5. Heatwave - Too Hot to Handle: has the "get you outta any shitty party situation" cut "Aint No Half Steppin" and some nice mellow jawns.
    6. Al Green - I'm Still in Love With You: you can't go wrong with Al's buttery voice. Play this for the ladies and watch the panties drop, then watch yours slide off when those drums come in.
    7. Ray Goodman & Brown - ST: classic break "Another Day" used by Brand Nubian for "Wake Up"
    8. James Brown - Popcorn: Instrumental album that was recently reissued. You can still find it around tho you might have to make a visit to eBay for this one.
    9. Minnie Riperton - Adventures in Paradise: made famous from the cut "Inside My Love", "Baby This Love I Have" is the banger. Both sampled my Tribe.
    10. The Ojays - Survival: the party rockin cut "Give the People What They Want" lives on this album. Get doubles to impress your friends!

These are records from my crates that I still see around from time to time. Like I said these are to help get you started. They should be pretty easy to get if you have patience and dig. Some will be easier than others and not all of these will have a massive drum break or a 5 second sample that so and so used. These are records I recommend that are good to listen to and start your collection with.

peace

What else would you like to know?

I would like to know how exactly you intend to recycle the vinyl
    That seems to be the one question you can't answer.

Also I Read your TOS and I'm not sure what is considered standard or normal but this part of your TOS is a little creepy:

How CrateDiggers Uses your Information

Sponsorship or Promotions ??? CrateDiggers may use your information to contact you directly, customize content, answer your questions or concerns or in relation to sponsorship and/or promotional activities (this would be basic demographic information, not detailed Personal Information). For example, a sponsor may want access to a certain demographic among our users ??? women between the ages of 18 and 34 in the New York, Tri-State region [/b] In such cases, we will not provide Personal Information to the sponsor nor will the sponsor contact you directly (CrateDiggers is always the intermediary), but the sponsor will be aware that you (and others) fall within the criteria specified.

Recycling vinyl is simple. The label needs to be cut out. The vinyl needs to be washed. And then it is ground into small bit where it can then be made into a million other products or another piece of vinyl. I am sure you prefer virgin vinyl not recycled vinyl.

TOS - as I was told - the contact is referring to banner ad and you clicking it.

If an advertisers is looking for a specific demographics men/woman/age/sex/location. That information is available to them in percentages as it is for any other magazine or website you would generally advertise on.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    this thread is aresome.

i dont no. I meen, I like the thred about the womans.

I'm screeewed, no rackords 4 me.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    Nevermind. Totally off-topic.

this thread is aresome.

Exactly. Major Holes here. I'm still not convinced this is not an elaborate hoax brought to you by the people at the-breaks.com. The pure fact that dude plans to take the site down this weekend screams fake to me. He also pointed out his grading system when no one else mentioned it. Probably because he thinks it is comic genius.

Mint, Dusty and Extra Dusty????

Jokes.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Ha! Bizzo pulling cards from 7 years ago!
    Ok ok I'll answer your PM already

Jesus Christ that's embarrassing to read now.

this thread is aresome.

Exactly. Major Holes here. I'm still not convinced this is not an elaborate hoax brought to you by the people at the-breaks.com. The pure fact that dude plans to take the site down this weekend screams fake to me. He also pointed out his grading system when no one else mentioned it. Probably because he thinks it is comic genius.

Jokes.

I'm right here bro - you don't have to talk about me in third person.

If the site isn't working the way it should - why would I beat it into the ground by leaving it up?

Mint dusty extra dusty? I must be a comic genius or maybe I am wrong that any cratedigger isn't aware of how dusty you get after digging thru old records all day.

corny - maybe. The people I know related to it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    this thread is aresome.

Jokes.

I'm right here bro

Despite her umbrage at your failure to include transgender individuals in your TOS, I believe bro Alice is actually a woman.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've lost thousands, and will go on loosing thousands - thats what I do

Reynaldo alias revealed?

Despite her umbrage at your failure to include transgender individuals in your TOS, I believe bro Alice is actually a woman.

Hahaha. Sorry about that Alice. I didn't even notice the name. I apologize for that.

Its cool, I wish I could apologize for having doubts, but its in my nature. To say it would be an elaborate hoax is quite the understatement so I do apologize for that.

Either way this thread will forever go down in SS history and I have taken many a screenshot and copied text from your site, just in case.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Whaaaaassssup my bro, Alice!!!??

Its cool, I wish I could apologize for having doubts, but its in my nature. To say it would be an elaborate hoax is quite the understatement so I do apologize for that.

Either way this thread will forever go down in SS history and I have taken many a screenshot and copied text from your site, just in case.

No reason to apologize for doubts.

Thats cool about the screenshots.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Mint dusty extra dusty? I must be a comic genius or maybe I am wrong that any cratedigger isn't aware of how dusty you get after digging thru old records all day.

Another major problem that speaks volumes in subtext - no one in the world grades records like this. The subtext: you've obviously limited your market to "the people (you) know." Unless this crowd is comprised exclusively of moneyed international gentlemen, major players, and/or a Paul Bunyan-sized backpack full of cloned Josh Davises, you are striking out. I'm being honest.

Placebo might have been a joke - but in the billions of records that have been pressed - one probable does exist. How would you know?

Wow. Career in two sentences. What do you know about Latin music? Brazilian? Gospel? Define "Modern Soul." These are questions that a person in your position - mastermind behind a prospectively weighty record listing site - will have to not only consider and take notes on but also know for goddamn certain.

Hell, name me some rare records. Seriously.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The best way to get something up to be an alternative to ebay would to somehow involve a partnership with someone like Discogs or GEMM.

If I was Raj and wanted to take this site to the next level. I would step to Discog and form a corporation. I'd hire a few people with the needed backgrounds for the biz and I would then step to some major world dealers. Offering them shares in the corp to sell through the biz.

I'd take 6-12 months just building up the site. Making sure the nobody could fuck the site as far as resources go (It's all about information) Massive discography, label scan's, reviews, forums, etc. One of the beauties is that, site member's help build up the database and content the whole time.

I would offer incentives for people to sell. Example like, if they sell records on the site and they generate the site money through ads. Give them a portion of the ad revenue they create.

Once the site was getting pretty damn big, I would step to a company that was trying to take on Paypal. Maybe even step to google checkout or something and then I would drop the auction portion of the site.

I think somewhere down the line I would try to bring in indie labels and indie distribution. Where they would sell direct to the consumer thru the site with physical product & online music and you would get a small fraction of the sale.

And after all that. I would somehow figure out a way to offer music e-tickets to concerts & shows and charge a small faction of the service fee that's ticket master charges. FUCK THOSE ASS CLOWNS!!!

If you build it. They will come!!!!

Another major problem that speaks volumes in subtext - no one in the world grades records like this. The subtext: you've obviously limited your market to "the people (you) know." Unless this crowd is comprised exclusively of moneyed international gentlemen, major players, and/or a Paul Bunyan-sized backpack full of cloned Josh Davises, you are striking out. I'm being honest.

Placebo might have been a joke - but in the billions of records that have been pressed - one probable does exist. How would you know?

Wow. Career in two sentences. What do you know about Latin music? Brazilian? Gospel? Define "Modern Soul." These are questions that a person in your position - mastermind behind a prospectively weighty record listing site - will have to not only consider and take notes on but also know for goddamn certain.

Hell, name me some rare records. Seriously.

Did you just join this post? Because I am pretty sure it's been stated about a million times that rare record knowledge is not my area. I originally started cratediggers as an online dollar bin store. All my friends were DJs and producers - that's what they shopped, and that's what I sold.

The reason I opened up CrateDiggers for anyone to list - is to attract knowledge based individuals and take it to the next level.

My personal collection of vinyl is mainly Hip-Hop.

The best way to get something up to be an alternative to ebay would to somehow involve a partnership with someone like Discogs or GEMM.

If I was Raj and wanted to take this site to the next level. I would step to Discog and form a corporation. I'd hire a few people with the needed backgrounds for the biz and I would then step to some major world dealers. Offering them shares in the corp to sell through the biz.

I'd take 6-12 months just building up the site. Making sure the nobody could fuck the site as far as resources go (It's all about information) Massive discography, label scan's, reviews, forums, etc. One of the beauties is that, site member's help build up the database and content the whole time.

I would offer incentives for people to sell. Example like, if they sell records on the site and they generate the site money through ads. Give them a portion of the ad revenue they create.

Once the site was getting pretty damn big, I would step to a company that was trying to take on Paypal. Maybe even step to google checkout or something and then I would drop the auction portion of the site.

I think somewhere down the line I would try to bring in indie labels and indie distribution. Where they would sell direct to the consumer thru the site with physical product & online music and you would get a small fraction of the sale.

And after all that. I would somehow figure out a way to offer music e-tickets to concerts & shows and charge a small faction of the service fee that's ticket master charges. FUCK THOSE ASS CLOWNS!!!

If you build it. They will come!!!!

This is not far off from what I intended. I had to start somewhere. It took a lot of time to get to this point. Thus far, I have financed the project myself as well as everything else.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    So you've lost thousands of dollars trying to run a site selling dollar records and recycling "dangerous" used vinyl... and you've been collecting records since the 90's but by your own admission know very little about them. This just doesn't make any kind of sense. Not even by soul strut standards. What is in this for you?