crazy CULT batches

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I dont really know too much about this case, but when she starts talking about hows MUCH she LOVES her daughter, shit is pretty bugged....

Comments

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    The whole thing is pretty creepy if you ask me. It's cruel to say, but surely they could've found some better representatives for the sect? They all speak like something straight out of a horror film.

I don't understand multiple wives - how much nagging can one person take?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Those are some of the ugliest clothes I have ever seen.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't understand multiple wives - how much nagging can one person take?

Not that im all for this lifestyle, but multiple wives is nothin like Square Love.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

coo coo

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    What's with the long elongated loafcut hair? Save the 2-onions-on-the-belt remark, thanks.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    What's with the long elongated loafcut hair? Save the 2-onions-on-the-belt remark, thanks.

and in those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you???d say.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I don't know what it is but I felt really bad whil eseeing her talk. You just know these women are being manipulated and schit. Pretty awfull way to live imo.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i think the consensus here is that dressing your hoes up like amish bitches is some predatory perverted shit. i tend to agree.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Post deleted by bassie

I agree with ost. I know there's plenty to make fun of on the surface, but it's creepy and sad, not to mention maddening that this community went undetected and unchecked for so long. It'll be a long and hard road back to a decent and healthy life, if ever, for a lot of these people.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I know there's plenty to make fun of on the surface, but it's creepy and sad, not to mention maddening that this community went undetected and unchecked for so long. It'll be a long and hard road back to a decent and healthy life, if ever, for a lot of these people.

Actually, the 'community' has been known for a while now. There have been raids on FLDS compounds since the 40's or 50's, and their previous 'prophet' was arrested a few years ago on some heavy sex crime charges. I think this cycle is so ingrained that the our conception of "a decent and healthy life" might be outside the realm of comprehension for these folks.

Wikipedia drops some knowledge here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter_Day_Saints

I meant the compound, not the Latter Day Saints as a whole.

I don't understand why they had to wait for someone to call in distress before the authorities showed up. Maybe I'm not getting some finer points of Texas/American law, but wouldn't this be in the top five of regular visitation sites for children protection services and the like given the history?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I don't understand why they had to wait for someone to call in distress before the authorities showed up. Maybe I'm not getting some finer points of Texas/American law, but wouldn't this be in the top five of regular visitation sites for children protection services and the like given the history?

cue Harv-chaic talmbout Ruby Ridge, Waco, the IRS, chemtrails, Bohemian Grove, Z-Ro, etc.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    They still need a complaint to investigate. They can't just show up and search the place whenever they want. Which is probably why they live in these compounds, because who outside the church is going to witness anything. What the US government really needs to do is catagorize them as terrorists. Then they can water board them and tap phones and shit.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I prefer the polygamists out in TV land...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

cue Harv-chaic talmbout Ruby Ridge, Waco, the IRS, chemtrails, Bohemian Grove, Z-Ro, etc.

It's pretty darned janky to raid then separate children from parents off of just an anonymous phone call with no evidence to speak of.

CPS has a protocol and according to their guidelines, what the police have done so far is WRONG/ILLEGAL.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    They still need a complaint to investigate. They can't just show up and search the place whenever they want. Which is probably why they live in these compounds, because who outside the church is going to witness anything. What the US government really needs to do is catagorize them as terrorists. Then they can water board them and tap phones and shit.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts

Yes, I understood that you meant the compound. Somewhere in the wiki link, it mentioned that shortly after the land for this compound was purchased as a "hunting retreat", locals in the area got interested and the FLDS came out stating that this would be their new home.

Also, it's probably important to note that there is a difference between the Church of the Latter Day Saints, and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints.

ditto what CousinLarry said about needing a complaint. Relatively closed communities, probably not a lot of interaction with the "outside world." Have there been any issues with their compound in British Colombia?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Not by a long shot. In a lot of places - and from what I understand, Texas is probably at the top of the list-there is an unstated 'live and let live' policy with 'communities' that are, shall we say, less than mainstream. The vast majority of the time that is probably a good thing, but when you have groups of children who are potentially at risk of some harm, this is of course something that causes tension and controversy. This was a big part of the craziness of the Waco/Koresh incident, the idea that acommunity set it self off from the rest of the area and establish it's own rules. Of course that is legal, but only to the point where your 'rules' trump local, State and Federal Laws.

You have to have cause to go into private property even to investigate, and the one hone call that gave them the cause may have been overstepping to take out ALL the kids. I really don't think the State of Texas is going to have much of a case when the smoke clears. The people may live like freaks by my standard, and I don't have any pity for guys convicted of facilitating child-marriages, but I hope that the local authorities have all their T's crossed, because otherwise this will make it infinitely harder to police any kind of sect in the future.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Also, it's probably important to note that there is a difference between the Church of the Latter Day Saints, and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints.

I hope so. I thought the Latter Day Saints were all about making pizza for old people and shit.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    According to the locals if anyone flew over the ranch everyone ran for cover and hid and if you showed up at the ranch you could only talk to a couple elders. So unfortunatly, with out a complaint they was very little for the officials to do.

It's ironic because it's well know that they split from the LDS church over "plural" marrage. But if you ask them they pretty much deny everything. Plus, a lot fo the marrages aren't legally recognized, so while they concider themselves married to 3 people, they may only legally be married to one. It's very tricky.

The local officials have had a plan on the books for a long time to bust these goofs, they just needed that one call for help. I think the officials should be commended. As soon as they got one call they swooped in a shut that sick place down.

On the surface "regular" Mormans claim to be against this, but in reality they are already on the radio with this "well if gays can marry what's wrong with poligamy" BS.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Have you guys seen the PBS two part special on the LDS church? The segment on polygamy was very interesting, they even mention the fundamentalists. If you have time you can view the whole thing here. Also you can read more indepth about the different topics. Check it if you're interested, it is very well put together.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    It's pretty darned janky to raid then separate children from parents off of just an anonymous phone call with no evidence to speak of.

CPS has a protocol and according to their guidelines, what the police have done so far is WRONG/ILLEGAL.

From what I saw on the news, separating the kids from the parents when an accusation of abuse has been made is pretty much standard protocol. Temporarily removing all the kids doesn't seem unreasonable in such an isolated, closed off community, especially one with this kind of history. You really expect any of those women in the clip to stand up to their religious leaders in order to protect their children?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

it's a joke dude, you know like chem trails

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I really don't have much of a problem with their lifestyle, i mean, who were they really hurting? Tons of kids get sexually/physically abused in all sorts of "safe" environments, what's the stats? 1 in 4? 1 in 5? anyways, it's pretty rampant in the USA and i would prefer a government that would just stay out of policing individuals lifestyle choices for the benefit of reality TV land.

Arranged marriages? Formerly commonplace.
    Marriage of girls around 13? Formerly commonplace.
    Multiple wives? Fela kuti.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Arranged marriages? Be my guest.[/b]
    Marriage of girls around 13? Illegal in the US as far as I know.[/b]
    Multiple wives? Illegal in the US.[/b]

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Formerly commonplace.

Lots of things in this country were formerly commonplace. It never made them right, though.

• Formerly commonplace.

Lots of things in this country were formerly commonplace. It never made them right, though.

Slavery, child labor...what else shall we bring back?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Formerly commonplace.

What, you ain't down with witch burning?

Next thing you'll be telling me slavery is wrong. GTFOOHWTBS.