"Talking Like She's Packing A Six Shooter."

124»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I don't know what's funnier, but the idea that there's nowhere in between is pretty annoying.

60%-80% of our population are in between...but they don't pull good TV ratings.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    holy crap. i loathe that woman's writing.
    maureen dowd is an idiot.

• I don't know what's funnier, but the idea that there's nowhere in between is pretty annoying.

60%-80% of our population are in between...but they don't pull good TV ratings.

Bring back William Carlos Williams! Bring back Alexander Pope and Geoffrey Chaucer!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Barack can also mention how he is by far the least wealthy of the candidates (if you factor in Mrs. McCain's fortune), he can point out that he only recently finished paying off his student loans, how the Clintons are hundred-millionaires....

i thought obama was great in wed's debate...but some of the sh*t that comes out of his campaign is just as suspect as hillary's "misstatements". obama made $4.2 million this year off of his books. if its true that he just got done paying his loans off, it wasn't out of necessity.

i got a federal stafford loan for law school that has about 2% interest. even if i had the money right now to pay it off in full, i wouldn't, because its more economical to put it in a CD.

also, on the subject of the debate, i think hillary continued her march to death by going negative and petty on issues that most dems don't (and shouldn't) give a shit about. BUT...i am seriously disappointed in Obama's continuance to stay middle of the road on issues that the dems have historically been liberal on. Not sure if any of you noticed, but he basically called for the end of Affirmative Action.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Well he's got to go towards the middle if he wants to be elected. That's the unfortunate truth.

I don't think there's anything wrong with putting an economic component into the process - I went to school with a lot of kids from the hills who had a lot of assistance because of their background, and a lot of kids from the flats that didn't get the same benefits despite being dirt poor and from broken homes.

The debate was disgusting - Hillary really miscalculated if she thought this would win her brownie points and ABC just made itself look like Fox News.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Well he's got to go towards the middle if he wants to be elected.

He definitely went for the middle.....

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    oh, shit! that rules. Is Hillary standing to his right?

I don't think there's anything wrong with putting an economic component into the process - I went to school with a lot of kids from the hills who had a lot of assistance because of their background, and a lot of kids from the flats that didn't get the same benefits despite being dirt poor and from broken homes.

if you don't let race/ethnicity be part of affirmative action, then there is no affirmative action. the fact that a white family is indigent has nothing to do with slavery and years of bigotry based on skin color alone. the point of affirmative action is to even the playing field because of the historical injustices that have led to blacks and other racial minorities being in a disproportionately unfavorable position.

no doubt that others who are in a poor economic position deserve a boost, that is why democrats generally favor strong welfare and entitlement programs. however, the two ARE mutually exclusive from affirmative action...which has an entirely separate identity.

obama knows better and for the first black president to abandon the true essence of affirmative action, something that he acknowledges has played a positive role in his life in one of the prior debates, is NAGL to say the least.

dude

I said nothing (neither did Obama) about not letting race/ethnicity be a part of Af/Ac.

there's a huge difference between welfare/entitlement and Affirmative Action.

The point of affirmative action is not some kind of reparation for slavery or jim crow - it is to ensure diversity on college campuses and in business environments. It's to prevent abuse by employers and college admissions in the present tense. It was not designed to be nor should it be conflated with some kind of reparations.

if you agree there is a huge difference between welfare/entitlement and affirmative action...then you must understand that affirmative action, by definition, could never ever be applied to poor whites.

the "even the playing field" analysis, as applied to AA, is historical. the goal is to affect future generations. its not meant as a temporary boost to some poor white kid, whose parents, grandparents, and great grandparents didn't have to deal with race issues.

you are 100% wrong about AA not being some kind of reparation. thats exactly what it is, but on a more thoughtful basis. blacks, and other minorities, have been historically oppressed based on skin color alone. AA seeks to even the playing field, and we have a long way to go. look at the statistics on blacks and hispanics in poverty.

I'm not arguing against assistance based on class, but that is not AA. Obama, on wednesday night, basically set the tone to abandon AA.

blacks, and other minorities, have been historically oppressed based on skin color alone. AA seeks to even the playing field, and we have a long way to go. look at the statistics on blacks and hispanics in poverty.

YOU DON'T SAY

ha, you need an education. go read up and come back and try to reconcile obama's stated position, with the intent of affirmative action.

I am sure it is me who needs an education.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

No - it was at a rally yesterday in NC after Wednesday night's Gibson/Stephanopoulos ambush.

Fox News is really pushing this story.

It's getting so this Black man can't even scratch his face in public around White folks. I'm actually serious. More dirty, shameful politics are ahead.

• sorry to change the politics into fun but---dude, Nintendo NES games! my brother and i played a lot of Duck Hunt, Athletic World, Gyromite and who remembers Hogan's Alley!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    sorry to change the politics into fun but---dude, Nintendo NES games! my brother and i played a lot of Duck Hunt, Athletic World, Gyromite and who remembers Hogan's Alley!

• I am sure it is me who needs an education.

PAY FOR IT YOURSELF, WHITE JEW.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

No - it was at a rally yesterday in NC after Wednesday night's Gibson/Stephanopoulos ambush.

Fox News is really pushing this story.

It's getting so this Black man can't even scratch his face in public around White folks. I'm actually serious. More dirty, shameful politics are ahead.

This is what it has come to. Fox News is quoting Youtube comments. GTFOHWTBS.

???Obama gives Hillary the finger,??? reads a post on YouTube.

I am sure it is me who needs an education.

PAY FOR IT YOURSELF, WHITE JEW.

I paid full tuition and went to a private school. This is, perhaps, the lone reason that I can distinguish between welfare, entitlements, Affirmative Action, and reparations.

Imagine how much dumber I'd be if I had attended a state school, or worse - a junior college.

We shouldn't blame KeithVanHorn for what society made him.