I'm getting married tomorrow! Advice plaese!!!

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Any sage words of advice from the married folks on here? Is it normal to be scared shitless right about now?

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    *COUGH*don't do it*COUGH*

j/k

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Any sage words of advice from the married folks on here? Is it normal to be scared shitless right about now?

4 or 5 times.

• Any sage words of advice from the married folks on here? Is it normal to be scared shitless right about now?

Completely normal, and it will pass.
    Try to take a moment and enjoy yourself at the wedding as well (it's harder than it sounds).

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Take it easy my brotha.

If you need anything while you're in town, give me a call.

- Diego

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Depends. What are you scared of? If you're unsure about the girl you're marrying are having second thoughts, then that's a problem.

If you're just nervous about the day and pulling whole wedding thing off, it's normal but not really rational. It's stressful no doubt, but you shouldn't be getting ill over it. No one's ever been horrified or scarred by a hiccup during a ceremony.

Do you have people helping you out? That shit is so necessary. I was responsible for way too much on my wedding day aside from getting dressed and shit, and it caused us to be several minutes late walking down the aisle. That was a bad look.
    Delegating is key.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Don't sweat the small shit. Try your best to enjoy the day. It only happens once (hopefully).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Marriage is probably the second hardest job in the world....raising kids is the hardest.

You have to be willing to work at it and understand that there will be some bumps in the road, large and/or small.

Both people have to sacrafice to a certain degree, if only one does it's a hard ride....if neither does, it's doomed.

Been married for 29 years this June 10th......honesty, loyalty and friendship has been the key.

Best of luck!

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

Been married for 29 years this June 10th......honesty, loyalty and friendship has been the key.

damn son, has it been a success? if so, what's your secret? I can't stand being with someone for 29 days...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Marriage is probably the second hardest job in the world....raising kids is the hardest.

You have to be willing to work at it and understand that there will be some bumps in the road, large and/or small.

Both people have to sacrafice to a certain degree, if only one does it's a hard ride....if neither does, it's doomed.

Best of luck!

Holy smokes! Listen to this guy^^^^^^

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

damn son, has it been a success? if so, what's your secret? I can't stand being with someone for 29 days...

I can't speak for Rock, but the secret is finding the right person. I'm only four years in, but I'm looking forward to celebrating my 29th one day. All that "she's my best friend" stuff sounds corny, but it's true. you've got to be partners, in every sense of the word.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    good luck my man and congratulations for real!!!!

hope you have a good day, don't be nervous, it's a beautiful thing!

b

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    29 years? You're joking right?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Here was my grandfather's only advice to all of his kids when they got married: "Be kind to each other." Kind of obvious, but a good thing to remember when stuff gets heated. Right before I got married last year, my Dad told me "40 years will go by like a blink of the eye".

I've only been married a little less than a year, but it is awesome so far. Oh yeah, the wedding and party afterwards will go by super quick. Don't forget to eat, and don't forget to talk with all of the people you may not get to talk with for awhile. You'll see plenty of the in-laws and parents, don't let them take up all your time.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    congrats again, man. i wish i brought a flask to keep in my jacket pocket at my wedding. every single time i tried to make it to the bar, i was intercepted. not sure how big your wedding is, but be prepared to bring your own stash of drink.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm not married but do know that no matter what, your funk 45s will always be with you!

Please post some pics my man.

• On that best friend line, my wife is it- my partner in crime, and my first choice always.

Relax. Not chemically, at least until after the ceremony. Want a clear head for that. And, enjoy it. Half way through the evening, dancing with my new wife, she said to me, 'This is our wedding!' It summed it up well- realize what is happening, and try to recognize and enjoy the magnitude of the day.

And, have fun. For sure.

• as for the wedding day itself, remember tuxedo insurance isn't a license to get so drunk that you're pouring beers on yourself, you gotta stay sober enough for the wedding night.

• Take it easy my brotha.

If you need anything while you're in town, give me a call.

- Diego

Congrats man. Big step in the real world.

Holler if you have any questions about Sin Disney (Tacos, bars, spots, etc..)

Sunday is the BBQ jump off.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    RUN!!!!!

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

I can't speak for Rock, but the secret is finding the right person. I'm only four years in, but I'm looking forward to celebrating my 29th one day. All that "she's my best friend" stuff sounds corny, but it's true. you've got to be partners, in every sense of the word.

I guess this confirms my prediction that I'll never get married. Companionship is one thing, but I could never see myself coming home to the same person every day. Perhaps finding someone who has similar goals and needs can be helpful as you'll be working towards a common interest

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

To quote Tom Petty:

waaidinnis thuh haruudest paurt

You'll be fine. Just don't lock your knees at the altar.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Congrats. Have a nitecap and get some sleep tonight. Drink plenty of water before the ceremony tomorrow and then go with the flow. It'll be over before you know it and the good part can begin.

I'm 7.5 years married myself, best decision I ever made. If you know inside that she's the right one then you got nothing to worry about.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    sage words of advice

"Keep your heart, Three Stacks, keep your heart."

Enjoy the day, and best of luck to you both!

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

Completely normal, and it will pass.

Don't listen to your single friends calling you a sell-out for getting married!

Bonus:
    I went to the barber shop then stopped at the record store the morning of my wedding.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    get off soulstrut for chrissakes!!!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Congratulations, mate - have a fantastic day. Scared is normal. I bet she is bricking it too.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    congratulations!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Congrats. Have a nitecap and get some sleep tonight. Drink plenty of water before the ceremony tomorrow and then go with the flow. It'll be over before you know it and the good part can begin.

I'm 7.5 years married myself, best decision I ever made. If you know inside that she's the right one then you got nothing to worry about.

this is the best advice yet. I'm going on 8 years in May myself.

Congratulations my man. I sent you an email let me know if you got it.

• Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. If you wanna check it out. The link is>>

www.gracelandchapel.com

Click on the link that reads "see your wedding online", type in either one of our names (Adrian Milan or Erika Lara) and voila! You'll see Elvis performing the ceremony at 8pm pacific time....

Thanks...

your pal,

Adrian

• Been married for 29 years this June 10th......honesty, loyalty and friendship has been the key.

lol I love it