Minneapolis Digging...

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Sorry, I know this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it by searching the archives...What are the best used record spots in Mpls.? I had a list, but I lost it... Cheapo, Hymie's, Treehouse, Half-Priced Books... What am I missing out on?Also, can any list any decent thrift stores? I don't live in Mpls., so don't be stingy! I won't ruin your spot, because I only get to the cities once in a blue moon. Any help would be appreciated!Thanks...Malta

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ...better yet, where's the hidden backstock of Life Sucks Die in Minneapolis?

• ...better yet, where's the hidden backstock of Life Sucks Die in Minneapolis?

Right here

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    there is the record co-op on 38th and bloomington. down in the valley records out in golden valley usually has a couple worth while pulls too. the laurie book store on 10th and nicolett mall has some stuff in the basement, mostly jazz but they have the occasional hot stuff.

• there are no records in the twin cities

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    get to stillwater.
    i am not joking.

Right here

lol whut?

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    get to stillwater.
    i am not joking.

my friend's mom lives in Stillwater and always tells me about record spots but i figured it'd be lawrence welk raers. i may have to take her up her offer to "go antiquing"

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    get to stillwater.
    i am not joking.

my friend's mom lives in Stillwater and always tells me about record spots but i figured it'd be lawrence welk raers. i may have to take her up her offer to "go antiquing"

No bullshit, I cleaned out every antique shop in Stillwater this past fall.

Don't waste your time. Also don't bother with Red Wing either. I housed it.

• i went through all the antique stores up there about about 2 years ago, found a really nice local psych/garage 45 that is unknown and some other decent shit, the place that has all the records is the old mill, others have some scattered about as well, i've found some nice shit at the goodwill too, a few bruce haack records and 50 sealed copies of that baby doo's house party, stillwater is a nice place too in the summer

there are no records in the twin cities

not like there was when i moved here, thats for sure...

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    there is the record co-op on 38th and bloomington.

Definitely hit this place up.

• no that place sucks too

Right here

lol whut?

You asked. I answered.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    stillwater is a nice place too in the summer
    good fishing in the river. (not a very well named town, imo)

Right here

lol whut?

You asked. I answered.

i always make runs to and from waste management and i drive by there all the time, i take it that's where your gallery is at? always wanted to check that out, is it open to the public?

Right here

lol whut?

You asked. I answered.

where are they? in those 2 warehouses, burried under the bus stop, or the UPS truck???

fuggit, i think this dude Justin from there use to contribute/write for the magazine...i'll aks him.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

fuggit, i think this dude Justin from there use to contribute/write for the magazine...i'll aks him.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    fuggit, i think this dude Mike the 2600 King from there contributed/wrote a google map link for you in this thread so....

yeah but what's the address besides 1101 Stinson Blvd? is there a said studio there?

confused

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    yeah but what's the address besides 1101 Stinson Blvd? is there a said studio there?

confused

That address is Burlesque studios. Do the math.

• Thanks for the replies... though I suspect some disinfo...

Peace...
    Malta

well...didn't know. i looked up the address and it produced nothing but industrial businesses. thank you.

• i'm almost positive there are alot of different buisnesses in that building, never seen a burlesque sign either, where exactly in the building is the studio?

• nevermind i looked it up on the website, suite #12

i'm almost positive there are alot of different buisnesses in that building, never seen a burlesque sign either, where exactly in the building is the studio?

their studio is called "first amendment." its in the basement....

• Life Sucks Die no longer exists, but several of the folks who used to work on the magazine now have a graphic design and screenprinting studio called Burlesque of North America. We also have an art gallery (called FIrst Amendment Arts as Otto mentioned) which is open to the public. Follow the signs down to the basement weekdays 12-5. You can pick up backissues of LSD, screenprinted posters, and Dr. Dre sticker packs and play pinball with us.

Mike

Life Sucks Die no longer exists, but several of the folks who used to work on the magazine now have a graphic design and screenprinting studio called Burlesque of North America. We also have an art gallery (called FIrst Amendment Arts as Otto mentioned) which is open to the public. Follow the signs down to the basement weekdays 12-5. You can pick up backissues of LSD, screenprinted posters, and Dr. Dre sticker packs and play pinball with us.

Mike

cool, thanks man!

yeah i remember when tower stopped carrying LSD due to the end of production. that also ended any more clever ways/idea to f*ck my mattress lol. i think i just have issue 6 or 7 left, sadness. i knew of burlesque when those dre day joints popped up in '03 and was like "ohhhhhh that's who did those 'this apartment building sucks' stickers". i must have given my cousin like 20 of those joints. but i didn't know you guys on the soulstrut were affiliated. been meaning to order some stuff off the website too. i think a friend shane in NYC did some colabo's with you guys not too long ago, no? maybe i'm thinking of someone else.

• Ah word! Oh you mean Shane Jessup? That's my dude. We've both done some work with Kidrobot (he much more than I), but he's never done any design work with us.

Issues 3-8 are available, but 1 and 2 are long gone. Maybe one day issue 9 will come out...

yup! that's him!

OHH SNAP, you know what i just remembered???

MONSTER YABBOS!!!

are those still around? if not, i would def throw some extra $ in for a xeroxed bootleg my man.

• Hahahahaaaaaa there are definitely no copies of those lying around. Wish I had easier access to dig up the master files to do a proper repress of that one.