Songs/Records that ended up in a lawsuit

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Couldn't find this stuff in a search either on SS or t'internet....So finally the Procul Harum 'Whiter Shade of Pale' court case is over; the organist Matthew Fisher gets a song writing credit but Brooker gets to keep all the royalties on the basis that Fisher shouldn't have left it 38 years before claiming. Looks like he got lightly sonned by the judge....(the big revelation was that over 800 versions of this pleasant tune have been recorded. Astonishing that there are 800 easy listening artistes out there.... although any song that includes vestal virgins, fandangoes and sea-sickness must be doing something right)All are aware surely of the George Harrison "My Sweet Lord" case, where the judge ruled GH had 'unintentionally' copied the Chiffons' "He's So Fine". Harrison maintained he had been inspired by the Edwin Hawkins Singers' "Oh Happy Day".Whatever, the wrinkle on this is that the Chiffons then record My Sweet Lord to cash in on the headlines, and then Harrison uses the experience to write "This Song". Even better, he then buys the rights to "He's So Fine". Priceless.It also brings to mind a claim I once read by Captain Sensible that the Damned's songwriting process consisted of listening to their favourite TV ads and reworking them backwards to create an original composition. I always thought that a music-wise lawyer looking to make some cash and a name for him/herself could have spent a week or two looking into that.What other legal spats have there been?

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    do we have to mention the biz?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

meaning?

and what happened with Ghostbusters? I must have missed that...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

meaning?

ahemmmm......ok class in sess

from wicki

As one of the most prominent hip-hop stars of a still low-key musical scene, expectations were high for Biz's next album, I Need a Haircut. Sales were already disappointing when Biz was served a lawsuit by Gilbert O'Sullivan, who claimed that the album's Alone Again featured an unauthorized sample from his hit Alone Again (Naturally). O'Sullivan's claim was upheld in a landmark ruling, Grand Upright Music, Ltd. v. Warner Bros. Records, Inc.,[1] that altered the landscape of hip-hop, finding that all samples must be cleared with the original artist before being used. In accordance with the ruling, Warner Bros., the parent company of Cold Chillin', had to pull I Need a Haircut from circulation, and all companies had to clear samples with the samples' creators before releasing the records. This development reflected the increasing popularity of hip-hop and the financial stakes over which releases were set. Biz responded in 1993 with the mischievously titled All Samples Cleared!, but his career had been hurt by the publicity emanating from the lawsuit, and the record suffered accordingly.

thanks

was thinking more about song writing disputes, band names...

no doubt the sampling game is full of lawsuits and I didn't mean to trawl that mire

btw how many 'pastey folls in need of good dentition' lusting/watching/fiending at the moment?

extra btw Gilbert O'Sullivan rules...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its over
    went for 3250

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

meaning?

From wiki:

Parker was accused of plagiarizing the melody from Huey Lewis & the News song "I Want a New Drug" for his 1984 #1 hit theme to Ghostbusters, released only six months after Lewis' hit reached #6 in the Billboard Hot 100. This ended with Lewis suing Parker, and the pair settled out of court in 1985.

They returned to court once again in 2001, as Parker sued Lewis for breaching a confidentiality agreement forming part of their original out of court settlement which prohibited either side from speaking about it publicly. Lewis had revealed in a VH1 Behind The Music special that Parker had paid a financial settlement as part of the original agreement.

And here's the comparison.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker Jr. for alledgedly plagiarizing one of his songs.

Edit: too late

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I may have told this story on here before, but it's vaguely on-topic so, just in case...

In the late 70s/early 80s, a friend of a friend was singing in a blues-rock band that was broadly in the style of early Whitesnake. As well as hustling for a record deal, he was also trying to get some of his less rocky material published with a view to getting it cut by other artists. Anyway, his band does a few dates supporting an unremarkable US hard rock band (whose singer is nevertheless pretty good) who are in the UK promoting their second album. The two bands get on, and during the course of this short tour, my friend's boy hands the lead singer a demo of these songs of his, because it turns out that this guy's considering a solo career if his current band doesn't work out, and my friend's boy thinks he has the pipes to make it as a solo artist. Dude promises to give the songs a listen when he gets back to the US and get in touch if there's anything he likes. My friend's boy never hears from him again.

Fast forward several years to the late 80s, and first dude is still on the UK circuit, but he's now fronting a Commitments-style r&b revue kind of act which is bringing in decent money. Any dreams of making it as a recording artist or a professional songwriter have been quietly put to one side. Anyway, he's listening to the radio one day and he hears this dramatic (and very familiar-sounding) ballad by an American singer, Michael Bolton, called "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You". It's very familiar-sounding because, a few cosmetic embellishments aside, it was his song, and was on the demo tape he gave to...oh, hold on a moment - wasn't the singer for that American band he once opened for called Michael Bolotin? To cut an already long story short, he claims to this day that Michael Bolton straight jacked him. Of course, because he'd neglected to register the copyright in any meaningful way that would stand up in court, he couldn't prove a damn thing, although he did formally approach Bolton's management who insisted that it was an original composition and completely refuted his claim. Adding insult to injury, my friend's boy later learnt that the song had been a US hit in 1983 for Laura Brannigan, and was Bolton's breakthrough hit as a songwriter.

Fast forward another few years and, hey, how about that? Michael Bolton is in court, being sued by the Isley Brothers for plagiarism. The Isleys won, and Bolton had to cough up $5.4m for biting their song "Love Is A Wonderful Thing". He appealed against the decision, taking it as far as the Supreme Court and even trying to buy out a bankrupt Ronald Isley's publishing rights in order to kill the dispute, but the original decision was upheld. What goes around...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    wow

fuck micheal boltin again and again

terdly plagerizer

• I don't know if someone got sued, but there was something fishy going on here...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

In the late 70s/early 80s, a friend of a friend... To cut an already long story short, he claims to this day that Michael Bolton straight jacked him.

Can you please give me your friends friends address so i can batter him to death with a lead pipe.

Hate that fuckin song.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

In the late 70s/early 80s, a friend of a friend... To cut an already long story short, he claims to this day that Michael Bolton straight jacked him.

Can you please give me your friends friends address so i can batter him to death with a lead pipe.

Hate that fuckin song.

I like the term bludgeon much better than batter.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

I may have told this story on here before, but it's vaguely on-topic so, just in case...

In the late 70s/early 80s, a friend of a friend was singing in a blues-rock band that was broadly in the style of early Whitesnake. As well as hustling for a record deal, he was also trying to get some of his less rocky material published with a view to getting it cut by other artists. Anyway, his band does a few dates supporting an unremarkable US hard rock band (whose singer is nevertheless pretty good) who are in the UK promoting their second album. The two bands get on, and during the course of this short tour, my friend's boy hands the lead singer a demo of these songs of his, because it turns out that this guy's considering a solo career if his current band doesn't work out, and my friend's boy thinks he has the pipes to make it as a solo artist. Dude promises to give the songs a listen when he gets back to the US and get in touch if there's anything he likes. My friend's boy never hears from him again.

Fast forward several years to the late 80s, and first dude is still on the UK circuit, but he's now fronting a Commitments-style r&b revue kind of act which is bringing in decent money. Any dreams of making it as a recording artist or a professional songwriter have been quietly put to one side. Anyway, he's listening to the radio one day and he hears this dramatic (and very familiar-sounding) ballad by an American singer, Michael Bolton, called "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You". It's very familiar-sounding because, a few cosmetic embellishments aside, it was his song, and was on the demo tape he gave to...oh, hold on a moment - wasn't the singer for that American band he once opened for called Michael Bolotin? To cut an already long story short, he claims to this day that Michael Bolton straight jacked him. Of course, because he'd neglected to register the copyright in any meaningful way that would stand up in court, he couldn't prove a damn thing, although he did formally approach Bolton's management who insisted that it was an original composition and completely refuted his claim. Adding insult to injury, my friend's boy later learnt that the song had been a US hit in 1983 for Laura Brannigan, and was Bolton's breakthrough hit as a songwriter.

Fast forward another few years and, hey, how about that? Michael Bolton is in court, being sued by the Isley Brothers for plagiarism. The Isleys won, and Bolton had to cough up $5.4m for biting their song "Love Is A Wonderful Thing". He appealed against the decision, taking it as far as the Supreme Court and even trying to buy out a bankrupt Ronald Isley's publishing rights in order to kill the dispute, but the original decision was upheld. What goes around...

what a complete and utter bastard
    (Bolton that is, not your friend's friend)

hopefully that $5.4m rescued Ronald Isley from bankruptcy

thanks for that Doc

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

what a complete and utter bastard
    (Bolton that is, not your friend's friend)

hopefully that $5.4m rescued Ronald Isley from bankruptcy

thanks for that Doc

I bet he never saw the entire amount. The courts can say that you owe it, but it's a bitch to collect.

Oh, and a reminder to all you songwriters, get your publishing and copyrights straight before you hand out demos, especially if you are giving them to douchebags.

I once saw Michael Bolton at First Avenue in Minneapolis back when I worked there in the Mid-90s. All kinds of thoughts ran through my brain of what I could get away with and not get tossed in jail. Glad I thought better of it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Beatles - They did a Medley of Kansas City and Hey Hey Hey, but "forgot" to credit Little Richard. Opps.

Beatles - John Lennon mentions in an interview that he lifted lines from Chuck Berry for Come Together. Opps.

My Sweet Lord and He's So Fine are the same song. Exactly.

Unlike Bolton, those guys did enough original stuff that their legacy is not hurt.

In the 90s 2 living relatives of Robert Johnson were found. Neither knew that his catalog was worth millions. Columbia, and some artists who had put their name on his songs, were sitting on all that money.

When Hendrix died all his money, catalog, and songwriting rights disappeared into a series of blind off shore accounts and corporations. A guy named Douglas had something to do with it. Paul Allen, and others, helped to pay for lawyers to reclaim the rights for the family. When they reclaimed the rights Allen (who was in the process of building a Hendrix Museum) thought he was a partner with the Hendrix family, and could do what ever he wanted with the Hendrix stuff. They straightened him out.

Ever heard of John Fogarty?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

John Fogarty, the UK music publisher? I know him. If you got dirt, spill it.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Jorge Ben sued Rod Stewart over "Do Ya think Im Sexy" and Ben's "Taj Mahal" and won.

Jorge Ben sued Rod Stewart over "Do Ya think Im Sexy" and Ben's "Taj Mahal" and won.

I didn't know that. I'm singing DYTIS in my head, and realizing it sounds Brazilian.

Manu Dibango ever sue Michael Jackson over Wanta Be Starting Something?

• Jorge Ben sued Rod Stewart over "Do Ya think Im Sexy" and Ben's "Taj Mahal" and won.

I didn't know that. I'm singing DYTIS in my head, and realizing it sounds Brazilian.

Ben donated what he won in the suit to Amnesty International.

The similarity is unmistakable.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

That suit's probably my favorite one. Getting sued for plagiarizing yourself--how meta.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

That suit's probably my favorite one. Getting sued for plagiarizing yourself--how meta.

Didn't David Geffen sue Neal Young for making records that didn't sound enough like himself in the early eighties?

• Options
    Manu Dibango ever sue Michael Jackson over Wanta Be Starting Something?

Don't know, I've always wondered this.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    Check this dudes youtube out - has a lot of good ones.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    John Denver sued New Order over their song Run 2 sounding like Leaving on a Jet Plane. They settled out of court I think, and Denver got a song writing credit on it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Ben donated what he won in the suit to Amnesty International.

The similarity is unmistakable.

Interesting, there is a Bobby Womack song pre-dating Do Ya Think I'm Sexy that Roddy straight jacked. So Womack jacked Ben, or Ben jacked Womack?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Led Zep II and Stones' BEGGARS BANQUET had to have the credits amended when they "forgot" to credit some old blues dudes...

Didn't David Geffen sue Neal Young for making records that didn't sound enough like himself in the early eighties?

I like the idea that Neil Young took in some jazz funk or electro masters that Geffen rejected.
    I would listen for sure