Songs/Records that ended up in a lawsuit

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Led Zep II and Stones' BEGGARS BANQUET had to have the credits amended when they "forgot" to credit some old blues dudes...

The guy from zep still argues that in the blues tradition people borrow lyrics from each other and he is part of that tradition. Willie Dixon sued him and won. He also ripped lines from Robert Johnson. What's on Beggar's Banquet? Love In Vain? Robert Johnson again with a very original lyric and a melody lifted from Leroy Carr and Scrapper Blackwell.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Ever heard of John Fogarty?

That suit's probably my favorite one. Getting sued for plagiarizing yourself--how meta.

Didn't David Geffen sue Neal Young for making records that didn't sound enough like himself in the early eighties?

I like the idea that Neil Young took in some jazz funk or electro masters that Geffen rejected.
    I would listen for sure

That was over the records they actually released - you ever heard TRANS? Its vocodered-out...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I read an interview with Neil Young recently where he talked about Trans. Apparently he has a son with cerebral palsy, and Trans is his favourite of all his dad's records. I don't recollect the exact details, but by all accounts the whole vocoders/synths/repetition concept of that record was a way of connecting with the little fella, after Young discovered that his son responded better when Young spoke to him through a vocoder.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Geffen sued Neil over Old Ways which was supposed to be a follow up to Harvest. Geffen didn't like the material, saying it was too countryish, so Neil just kept making it countrier and countrier, inviting Waylon and dudes to sing. Comedy.

How on earth Jake Holmes didn't sue Zeppelin over Dazed and Confused is a complete mystery to me. Dude lost millions.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    blackalicious "40 oz for breakfast"

Geffen sued Neil over Old Ways which was supposed to be a follow up to Harvest. Geffen didn't like the material, saying it was too countryish, so Neil just kept making it countrier and countrier, inviting Waylon and dudes to sing. Comedy.

How on earth Jake Holmes didn't sue Zeppelin over Dazed and Confused is a complete mystery to me. Dude lost millions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Holmes

I'm guessing he didn't want to pay lawyers for years and years to carry out an international lawsuit. Zeppelin fought Willie Dixon tooth and nail.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I'm guessing he didn't want to pay lawyers for years and years to carry out an international lawsuit. Zeppelin fought Willie Dixon tooth and nail.

Its not mentioned on that wiki but I've read before that Page (or the group) claimed they had an "oral agreement:" w/Holmes that they could do the song but of course the legitimacy of that is kinda ridiculous...

Its not mentioned on that wiki but I've read before that Page (or the group) claimed they had an "oral agreement:" w/Holmes that they could do the song but of course the legitimacy of that is kinda ridiculous...

Your smoking a joint with some guys your sharing a bill with outside of the club. Guy says, we'd like to do your song, do you mind? That be cool go ahead.

Few years latter those guys are Led Zeppelin and wont return your calls.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Holmes is a retard cause he stood to gain millions and it was a fairly open and shut case. They give themselves credit for the songwriting fer christsakes.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Check this dudes youtube out - has a lot of good ones.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When Hendrix died all his money, catalog, and songwriting rights disappeared into a series of blind off shore accounts and corporations. A guy named Douglas had something to do with it. Paul Allen, and others, helped to pay for lawyers to reclaim the rights for the family. When they reclaimed the rights Allen (who was in the process of building a Hendrix Museum) thought he was a partner with the Hendrix family, and could do what ever he wanted with the Hendrix stuff. They straightened him out.

Alan Douglas went on to produce The Last Poets.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Manu Dibango ever sue Michael Jackson over Wanta Be Starting Something?

I always thought the phrase was like public domain.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    cant find the quotes but its a fact that Zeppelin never sued anyone over sampling "when the levee breaks" drums 'cuz they themselves didnt want to open (or re-open,?) their own mess with the song's original author Memphis Minnie. Not sure if this ever got sorted out, but you sure do hear those drums everywhere!