good boogaloo lp's (& 45's)

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Just loading up the page is fun. It's like watching all those Latin albums play musical chairs.

also cheap and calidad is:

I always found this kind of "cliche boogaloo" but maybe I need to go back and take a listen again.

by the way, this hasn't gone live yet b/c they're still making some changes to the design but I put this together for Uber: http://uber.com/boogaloo

Can we agree that some of the best boogaloos are on albums
    that aren't "boogaloo albums" but a mix of styles? Of course
    most 60's latin LP's are a "mix of styles" but often there
    is only one boogaloo on an album ... and it shreds.

I like how the style often appears parenthetically after the song title on the sleeve.

Contemporary rappers should do this:

(the chick track)
    (the t-pain collab)
    (for the skreets)
    (fake southern record)
    (faux introspective joint)
    (let the weed carriers have some)

I'm surprised no rapper with a sense of humor hasn't already gone there.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

I always found this kind of "cliche boogaloo" but maybe I need to go back and take a listen again.

"Guajiro [sic] Controversial" is the track to go back and listen to.

Their other album is crap though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It can stray a bit far into Groovybaby territory

I prefer more of this sort of thing.

That sound clip was good, but really subduded and polite. I'm no Latin music expert, but I didn't hear enough of a greasy fatback soul influence in there, which I thought was the point of boogaloo. That song you posted was more jazzy, if anything...

Yeah, I see it's on Mercury's budget label, too (Wing), which might be the reason why it sounds so cliched to you. But, I'm not hating - I'd like to hear this myself.

• when I think of "groovybaby" bugalu, I think of those awful albums that Mongo Santamaria did on Columbia. Now THERE'S some kitschy Austin Powers shit for ya.

We Got Latin Soul and Cloud 9 are on Mongo's Columbia Greatest Hits album (one of the first records I ever bought when I got into "crate-diggin") and I still think those two songs hold up very well. Strictly they're not boogaloo I suppose but they're far from awful.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

That sound clip was good, but really subduded and polite. I'm no Latin music expert, but I didn't hear enough of a greasy fatback soul influence in there, which I thought was the point of boogaloo. That song you posted was more jazzy, if anything...

Well the sound clip is a 45 min mix, the first track being Colombian Salsa. But there is boogaloo right after it, from Ismael Rivera, Alfredito, Felix Del Rosario and Ray Barretto. Then some more Salsa, then some more Boogaloo

Cloud 9 shreds. Official Bboy material.

Perhaps this has been asked before, but I'd genuinely love to know what Rey's favorite 5-10 Latin records are, regardless of rarity/obscurity.

The difficulty I've had in such a list - beyond the obvious albums like "Acid" or "Gypsy Woman" is that I'm usually attuned into that one great song or two off an album rather than the album as a whole. Not to say there aren't some very, very consistent Latin LPs out there though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Not to say there aren't some very, very consistent Latin LPs out there though.

• Milton Zapata on Speed is one of my favorites. not so much boogaloo as different styles from soul songs to guaguanco

similar to this, because there's different kind of songs, is bobby quesada boogaloo en el barrio, with the beatiful song a mi barrio

Actually, I can come up with at least five - at least in terms of stuff I'm enjoying of late

(Not in order of preference)

1) Har-You Percussion Group: S/T
    2) Ray Barretto: Acid
    3) Joe Bataan: Gypsy Woman
    4) Fruko: El Grande
    5) Mauricio Smith: Bitter Acid

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Perhaps this has been asked before, but I'd genuinely love to know what Rey's favorite 5-10 Latin records are, regardless of rarity/obscurity.

The difficulty I've had in such a list - beyond the obvious albums like "Acid" or "Gypsy Woman" is that I'm usually attuned into that one great song or two off an album rather than the album as a whole. Not to say there aren't some very, very consistent Latin LPs out there though.
    I can think of tons of Latin albums that I consider consistent and regularly listen to in full; most of my favorites are the more obvious choices:

Orchestra Harlow: El Exigente
    Ray Terrace: Oye El Cuchy Frito Man
    Bobby Valentin: Let's Turn On
    Ricardo Ray: On The Scene
    Orlando Marin: Que Chevere
    Orlando Marin: Se Te Quemo La Casa
    Willie Colon: The Hustler
    Arsenio Rodriguez: Primitivo
    Arsenio Rodriguez: Viva Arsenio!
    Paul Ortiz: Los Que Son
    Manny Corchado: Aprovecha El Tiempo
    Lebron Brothers: Brooklyn Bums
    Tito Puente: Dance Mania
    The Latin Soul of Johnny Zamot and His Latinos
    +
    Most of the Joe Bataan albums up through Salsoul

And so on...

Yeah, I see it's on Mercury's budget label, too (Wing), which might be the reason why it sounds so cliched to you. But, I'm not hating - I'd like to hear this myself.

Here's an upload of the album:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/100765343/Orquesta_Soul_-_Los_Boogaloos.zip.html

Not life-changing but I think it's a pretty solid record.

• I didn't hear enough of a greasy fatback soul influence in there, which I thought was the point of boogaloo.

speaking of which, how has this not yet come up. LIFE CHANGING!

look for other bobo titles too. cheap, pretty easy to find, and very rewarding. DESCARGA DEL BOBO 4 LIFE!

Orchestra Harlow: El Exigente
    Ray Terrace: Oye El Cuchy Frito Man
    Bobby Valentin: Let's Turn On
    Ricardo Ray: On The Scene
    Orlando Marin: Que Chevere
    Orlando Marin: Se Te Quemo La Casa
    Willie Colon: The Hustler
    Arsenio Rodriguez: Primitivo
    Arsenio Rodriguez: Viva Arsenio!
    Paul Ortiz: Los Que Son
    Manny Corchado: Aprovecha El Tiempo
    Lebron Brothers: Brooklyn Bums
    Tito Puente: Dance Mania
    The Latin Soul of Johnny Zamot and His Latinos
    +
    Most of the Joe Bataan albums up through Salsoul

Now this is what I'm talkin' about. Danke.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I wish there was more originals on this album. I can't get with the life changing but I can get with the album.

• guess I'm mainly referring to the title track. "GUAJIRA! oh oh oh oh..."

greasy beast.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    guess I'm mainly referring to the title track. "GUAJIRA! oh oh oh oh..."

greasy beast.

I hear you on that !

Rey: humor me - what was your top bid for that Bataan "Ordinary Guy" 45? PM if necessary.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Lat-teens "Buena Gente"

^^ I liked this one too. But I don't really know if I can tell corny boogaloo from street boogaloo.

I'll also agree on Hey Sister and Together

That 45 by the Mosquitoes is sorta the shit too.

The bootleg of the Manny Corchado songs? "Pow Wow"?

I don't know.

yep, and a sped-up, poorly-pressed boot at that!

my understanding is that the boot came out of the pittsburgh area as a response to demand for the manny corchado track, which these days runs grandes d??lares. now whether that demand was local or international, i'm not sure.

anyways, track is absolute killer. and the boot goes for loot for a reason. best of luck finding an og.

back to the boogaloo recs, charlie palmieri's lp "latin bugalu" is worth a listen, too.

• guess I'm mainly referring to the title track. "GUAJIRA! oh oh oh oh..."

greasy beast.

I hear you on that !

Love that track, but aside from that, the best part of that record is the cover.

Un cancioner, that one.

Rey: humor me - what was your top bid for that Bataan "Ordinary Guy" 45? PM if necessary.
    $55

$55

Not bad. I don't think I would have gone that high. A cool thing to see for offer though.

Well the sound clip is a 45 min mix, the first track being Colombian Salsa. But there is boogaloo right after it, from Ismael Rivera, Alfredito, Felix Del Rosario and Ray Barretto. Then some more Salsa, then some more Boogaloo

my fault - i didnt sit thru the entire mix obviously. i just heard that first track and wondered what the fuss was about...(((grin)))

I tend to avoid boogaloo albums on major labels like Decca, Columbia and Mercury for that very reason. They all seem to have this "hamming-it-up-for-the-white-folks" vibe that is hard to get around, especially when they start giving current pop hits the Latin treatment. For myself, the boogaloo sounds best on actual Latin labels like Fania, Allegre (home of Ricardo Ray, oddly enough) and Tico, but y'all knew that coming in...

Bump.

I hear what you're saying here but most of the output on Decca, I think, was pretty decent. I don't actually know that many Columbia titles and Mercury at least came with Louie Ramirez's "In the Heart of the Spanish Harlem" which, while not straight up killer, is a very solid boogaloo/Latin soul album in my opinion.

That said, consistency-wise, it's hard to do better than Cotique or Speed.

• Can we agree that some of the best boogaloos are on albums
    that aren't "boogaloo albums" but a mix of styles? Of course
    most 60's latin LP's are a "mix of styles" but often there
    is only one boogaloo on an album ... and it shreds.

I like how the style often appears parenthetically after the song title on the sleeve.

believe it or not, that actually HELPS, especially to those of us digging in the field 40 years after the record came out

• Decca has some killers on 45. Johnny Zamot, Joe Panama, Manny Corchado come to mind. I like that Mercury Louie Ramirez album a lot too. I always felt it was kind of under valued but maybe it's pretty easy to find on the east coast?

I found a nice boogaloo 45 last week. Rulie Garcia & East LA Congregation"Sabrosito" on Billionaire. You guys know that one?

• No, but I'd like to know more about Garcia himself. The record I have by him is a 1973 single on UA ("Que Pasa"), where he's into a Santana/El Chicano-ish Latin/funk/rock whatchamacallit. But he did this weird record called "Prescription Rock & Roll" that wasn't boogaloo (or related) at all!!!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    No, but I'd like to know more about Garcia himself. The record I have by him is a 1973 single on UA ("Que Pasa"), where he's into a Santana/El Chicano-ish Latin/funk/rock whatchamacallit. But he did this weird record called "Prescription Rock & Roll" that wasn't boogaloo (or related) at all!!!

So where do you folks place Malo into this? latin rock or boogaloo?

Also, just picked up The Bugulu Party LP... not bad little piece of wax, the version i got hasnt got the best sound quality, but theres some solid tracks on there...