good boogaloo lp's (& 45's)

francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
what are some $10 - $50 records that will change my life?the LP Johnny Colon "boogaloo 67" on contique has changed my life. big fan of "mayenlle" & "oyelo" on that one.corny, ricardo ray type stuff isn't what i want. which lp's are the solid ones? good plays all the way through, similar to boogaloo 67?reynaldo? aleit? sportcasual? bueller?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "corny, ricardo ray type stuff isn't what i want."

BAN.

Dude, Ray is far from my favorite boogaloo artist but his songs are not that bad. You really think "Colombia's Boogaloo" is corny?

Do you have Johnny Colon's "Boogaloo Blues"? If you like '67" you'll like that one too.

Joe Bataan's "Gypsy Woman" is essential. As is "Acid" by Ray Barretto. Neither goes for under $50 OG however.

I would have suggested Joe Cuba's stuff from that era but if you found Ray to be corny...well, I'm not sure how Cuba's stuff would go over with you.

Definitely peep out "Champagne" by Eddie Palmieri. "Aye Que Rico" is some shit you'd be into, I'm sure. Similarly, check out Charlie Palmier's "Either You Got It Or You Don't" from Alegre (67).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Willie Rosario on Atco is a nice cheap one, like $25 clean.

You can get the Johnny Zamot LP's on Decca for around $50 - at least
    the first one, the second may run you a good deal higher.

• i would love to hear that man do right. i've listened to so much stuff from him, reissues even, that were too cheese.

bataan yeah, ray barretto check, what about willie colon? what is his standout killer lp? i have crime pays, love it.

just want to know what the standard, sureshot lp's that can all be found relatively cheap (under 100) in nyc. not the super ridiculous rare grails, just staple dietary needs. i don't need the ricardo marrero on TSG, i want it. i don't want the johnny colon lp, i need it. needs.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I like the Joe Panama LP on Decca, especially for the latin lowrider tune Soul Sister.

Willie Rosario on Atco is a nice cheap one, like $25 clean.

You can get the Johnny Zamot LP's on Decca for around $50 - at least
    the first one, the second may run you a good deal higher.

Cosign on the Rosario LP. Definitely worth copping. Won't be life changing.

Zamot is cool but to me, a bit run of the mill. I like it but it's not life changing either.

Willie Colon wasn't primarily a boogaloo artist but if you want to hear him take on the style, then get "El Malo."

Beyond "Gypsy Woman," you should just have any of Bataan's Fania albums. Same goes for Barretto's Fania albums in the same era - "Together," "Power," "Hard Hands" are all great. I also really like "Latino Con Soul" on UA from 67 by him but it's not on the level of "Acid."

Try Cuba's "My Man Speedy." It's more conventional but I think it's fun as hell.

And check out Monguito Santamaria's "Hey Sister." It's $$$ OG but the reish is around. "Groovetime" is awesome.

And while Pete Rodriguez isn't life-changing to me, pick up "I Like It LIke That" for "Micaela" alone.

• got the first johnny zamot, love it. wish i had it out here ;(

willie rosario - check. got that along way back. absolute killer lp. this band out here in LA , boogaloo assassins, plays the watusi song AMAZINGLY WELL. loved it.

will definitely check both those palmieri records out. i have the charlie palmieri record on atco, forgot the name. killer as well.

got the first johnny zamot, love it. wish i had it out here ;(

willie rosario - check. got that along way back. absolute killer lp. this band out here in LA , boogaloo assassins, plays the watusi song AMAZINGLY WELL. loved it.

will definitely check both those palmieri records out. i have the charlie palmieri record on atco, forgot the name. killer as well.

And dude, come through to our night at the Short Stop on Thursday. We play boogaloo and Latin joints all the time.

This isn't boogaloo but you need it. YOU NEEDS IT.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Zamot is cool but to me, a bit run of the mill. I like it but it's not life changing either.

Hey, I'm working with a budget here!

And I would argue that Zamot's more expensive albums are stellar.

Although maybe not life-changing (and here is where I miss the smirk graemlin)

Can we agree that some of the best boogaloos are on albums
    that aren't "boogaloo albums" but a mix of styles? Of course
    most 60's latin LP's are a "mix of styles" but often there
    is only one boogaloo on an album ... and it shreds.

Lat-teens "Buena Gente"

^^ I liked this one too. But I don't really know if I can tell corny boogaloo from street boogaloo.

I'll also agree on Hey Sister and Together

That 45 by the Mosquitoes is sorta the shit too.

Lat-teens "Buena Gente"

^^ I liked this one too. But I don't really know if I can tell corny boogaloo from street boogaloo.

The bootleg of the Manny Corchado songs? "Pow Wow"?

Hey, I'm working with a budget here!

And I would argue that Zamot's more expensive albums are stellar.

Although maybe not life-changing (and here is where I miss the smirk graemlin)

I'm just going by Francis' requirements. He wants some "my life will be made better by this" kind of music. I like Zamot but I don't see God through his tunes either.

And yeah, I don't know if there are really that many great "boogaloo albums" - if you're trying to put out 13 of 'em, most are bound to be uneven. I thought the Cuba Tico LPs were pretty good though. I'd ride.

Lat-teens "Buena Gente"

The bootleg of the Manny Corchado songs? "Pow Wow"?

I don't know.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "corny, ricardo ray type stuff isn't what i want."

BAN.

Dude, Ray is far from my favorite boogaloo artist but his songs are not that bad. You really think "Colombia's Boogaloo" is corny?

I don't think Ricardo Ray is corny, but since a good deal of his discography is bugalu versions of pop tunes, I can understand why he thought that.

I tend to avoid boogaloo albums on major labels like Decca, Columbia and Mercury for that very reason. They all seem to have this "hamming-it-up-for-the-white-folks" vibe that is hard to get around, especially when they start giving current pop hits the Latin treatment. For myself, the boogaloo sounds best on actual Latin labels like Fania, Allegre (home of Ricardo Ray, oddly enough) and Tico, but y'all knew that coming in...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The price range kind of limits things. I never really considered Boogaloo '67 a "boogaloo" album--not like Johnny Zamot's Tell It Like It Is is a boogaloo album. Check out Pete Rodriguez: Oh, That's Nice! & I Like It Like That; the first New Swing Sextet LP; Orquesta Olivieri on Speed; Johnny Rodriguez & Angel Rene: Un Consejo... or just get Bobby Valentin: Let's Turn On.

• awesome folks. thanks for the suggestions. i know a lot of these already, but the ones i didn't know about are sure to bring some "life change" factor.

i'm kind of over the whole boogaloo mod soul stuff, though i love it's shining moments.

what i like about johnny colon's boogaloo 67', is that it is just kids who knew their shit inside and out, dropped a record for the sake of boogaloo, then roots came forth and took over. the boogaloo cuts are good, but the other ones are better. is "oyelo" boogaloo?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Oyelo" sounds like a cha-cha boogaloo.

• the boogaloo cuts are good, but the other ones are better.

so are you actually looking for non-boogaloo? I'm confused.

One record I haven't seen mentioned that is essential in my book is "BOOGALOOS" - El Gran Combo

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Eddie Palmieri. "Aye Que Rico"

THIS will make your life better and it's definitely in your price range.

Soulful as hell and the lyrics are RAW: "Hey little black girl! I want a kiss from your little mouth!"

also cheap and calidad is:

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Joe Quijano's Shing-a-ling is doing it for me at the moment. Not strictly boogaloo but great.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Maybe a bit on the corny side but it was sounding pretty good last time I listened

There's an 80s boot of this out there that won't set you back big $ unless they are trying to pass it off as og

But I've been feeling this the most lately... solid LP

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I like how the style often appears parenthetically after the song title on the sleeve.

Contemporary rappers should do this:

(the chick track)
    (the t-pain collab)
    (for the skreets)
    (fake southern record)
    (faux introspective joint)
    (let the weed carriers have some)

BROWN VINYL JUNKy !!!!1

Maybe a bit on the corny side but it was sounding pretty good last time I listened

Why would this be "corny?" Joe Cuba is the EPITOME of boogaloo, if Latin soul is what you want.

the boogaloo cuts are good, but the other ones are better.

so are you actually looking for non-boogaloo? I'm confused.

I am, too - he started out saying:
    good boogaloo lp's (& 45's)(...)

what are some $10 - $50 records that will change my life?

the LP Johnny Colon "boogaloo 67" on contique has changed my life.

...and then, two hours later:

i'm kind of over the whole boogaloo mod soul stuff

Well, that was QUICK! :-)

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It can stray a bit far into Groovybaby territory

I prefer more of this sort of thing.

(Joe Cuba's boogaloos) can stray a bit far into Groovybaby territory

I understand. Although Cuba's relatively authentic - when I think of "groovybaby" bugalu, I think of those awful albums that Mongo Santamaria did on Columbia. Now THERE'S some kitschy Austin Powers shit for ya.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    when I think of "groovybaby" bugalu, I think of those awful albums that Mongo Santamaria did on Columbia. Now THERE'S some kitschy Austin Powers shit for ya.

I don't remember them being that bad--although it's been years since I pulled them out. I liked them enough to hang onto them when I got rid of my copies of his Atlantic releases.