NAGL Intervention

FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I got a friend I grew up with in the midwest. Used to be in a band with me. Nice guy, good intentions. I never really was concerned about him. However it's been a while, and since I've been off at college - and now on the east coast working, I get a message from him on facebook from time to time. I casually check out his page to see what he's been up to, and I realize that he's about three steps from being the Eastern Iowa version of the Oompa Loompas we have all come to loathe and hate. Something inside me feels slightly responsible. In fact, ten years ago it was me and my friends made fun of his bleached mop so long he cut it and started wearing pants that fit. Back when I used to Dj, I did notice him getting alarmingly familiar with certain kinds of trance music. And I do remember calling him a metro when he started going to tanning beds and working for a cell phone kiosk in the mall. I've just finally reached that point where I can no longer justify him to current friends of mine who would ever meet him. I feel as if I don't act now, he could go too far. Anybody have any advice on gingerly telling your friend he's turning into a douchebag?

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    you let him be! Nothing wrong with a little bit of Jersey in Iowa!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    maybe ive seen him!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    What could you really do?

I've had friends turn into douchbags. Now they aren't my friends any more.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    its good to try to keep friends.
    and i usually say its god to intervene.
    im the ball breaker who will remind you "remember when you were trying to quit?" right when someone is sparking their newport.

anyway...
    let em know and send him links to the dudes that he's reminding you of. whats the worst that can happen? he'll threaten you with a jersey guido mob hit? who cares? if he keeps going down this path of douchiness, he aint gonna be your friend anyway.

run a check on em

he may thank you down the line

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You don't like him because of the way he dresses, the music he listens to and where he works?

Maybe you need to be less superficial?

come on dan, thats a superficial read of the problem

the dude is exhibiting 3 prominent redflags of douchiness!!!!!

he's probably waxing his balls and premeditating date rape as i type

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Trance music, tanning bed and the mall. I hate to stereotype, perhaps a date rape contemplating douche, or maybe he is gay, not that there is anything wrong with that.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    You don't like him because of the way he dresses, the music he listens to and where he works?

Maybe you need to be less superficial?

Nah, quite the opposite, he's a real good friend of mine, I've just seen him over the years transform from a jnco wearing Alice in Chains head to the near jersey-esque form he's taken on recently. I know the real dude, and i know deep down inside he's still the same good guy he's always been. I just think he's been getting mixed up with the wrong crowd for some time now, and that maybe the razzing we gave him in high school has constantly taught him to seek social acceptance no matter what it would turn him into. I'm just concerned. Good points by all though. Maybe I'll have a chat with the guy.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    The problem is though if you alert him to his current direction, what do you have to replace it with? Good friend though you may be, it sounds like he needs people to hang out with etc. Facebook is handy but if his need for social interaction has lead him down this path taking it away could be worse than letting him become an oompa loompa.

And for what it's worth you may wanna get a little more specific on his "certain kinds of trance music" - what you know as trance may actually be one of the decent strains of electronic music.

Either way, maybe just a headsup on the dangers of tanning/lameness of fake tanning could help him out a little.

sounds like a job for techno viking