If Obama were a white man

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's not like the lefties on this site agree on everything

but you at least have your presidential ticket straight now that you've cowed poor KVH into throwing Hillary under the bus.

Hey now - she was already half under there already (at least for the time being).

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    mccain fucked up with his own friends in the S&L collapse and the TV Cable business, and the telecoms, and his friends at Airbus for whom he sold out Boeing, and who knows how many other Government agencies he has pressured on behalf of the lobbyist who run his political campaign and Career. Oh! but he wears a lapel pin so you will vote for him. Even though he seeks the endorsement of an anti-American preacher whose beliefs you have all but endorsed yourself.[/b]

• I don't understand this "thrown under the bus" thing. Why is everybody saying that all the sudden? Does it mean that a person has been riding the bus (like a campaign tour bus) and then you throw them off and under so they would get run over? Or is it like a Greyhound bus where the baggage is "under the bus" so you throw them in with the baggage.

People hear a catch phrase enough times and then they'll just repeat it. They will "carry the water" for the catch-phrase spitter ad infinitum. But then when the phrase starts to show signs of age and jump the shark, the speaker will throw that phrase and phrase-maker under the bus. So my real question is, when will "thrown under the bus" get thrown under the bus, because I am ready.

Verse One: Baby

Ni**a I got these hoes iced up enough
    While my lil B.G.'s on the bus[/b] puttin out cigarette butts
    But me personally playboy I don't give a fu*k
    And I'ma always show love to my cut
    Hit the club light tha bitch up
    The Cash Money motto we got to drank til we throw up
    Ni**a point the hoe out guaranteed I can fu*k
    Wootay I'm tattooed and barred up
    Medallion iced up, Rolex bezelled up
    And my pinky ring is platinum plus
    Earrings be trillion cut
    And my grill be slugged up
    My heart filled with anger cause ni**a I don't give a fu*k
    Stack my chesse up
    Cause one day I'm a give this street life up
    Beef I don't discuss
    A ni**a outta line gone get his motherfu*kin head bus[/b]t
    Cash Money Millionaires plus
    Don't touch sum'in ni**a you can't fu*k
    Twenty inches TV is a must
    By the year two thousand I'm a gut out my bus.[/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I don't understand this "thrown under the bus" thing. Why is everybody saying that all the sudden? Does it mean that a person has been riding the bus (like a campaign tour bus) and then you throw them off and under so they would get run over? Or is it like a Greyhound bus where the baggage is "under the bus" so you throw them in with the baggage.

People hear a catch phrase enough times and then they'll just repeat it. They will "carry the water" for the catch-phrase spitter ad infinitum. But then when the phrase starts to show signs of age and jump the shark, the speaker will throw that phrase and phrase-maker under the bus. So my real question is, when will "thrown under the bus" get thrown under the bus, because I am ready.

Verse One: Baby

Ni**a I got these hoes iced up enough
    While my lil B.G.'s on the bus[/b] puttin out cigarette butts
    But me personally playboy I don't give a fu*k
    And I'ma always show love to my cut
    Hit the club light tha bitch up
    The Cash Money motto we got to drank til we throw up
    Ni**a point the hoe out guaranteed I can fu*k
    Wootay I'm tattooed and barred up
    Medallion iced up, Rolex bezelled up
    And my pinky ring is platinum plus
    Earrings be trillion cut
    And my grill be slugged up
    My heart filled with anger cause ni**a I don't give a fu*k
    Stack my chesse up
    Cause one day I'm a give this street life up
    Beef I don't discuss
    A ni**a outta line gone get his motherfu*kin head bus[/b]t
    Cash Money Millionaires plus
    Don't touch sum'in ni**a you can't fu*k
    Twenty inches TV is a must
    By the year two thousand I'm a gut out my bus.[/b]

I went to bed late but I didn't think late would EFFECT ME
    Early came around then late wouldn't LET ME
    Wake up - WAKE UP - so I can get dressed
    I guess my body was mad 'cause I gave it no rest
    And when I finally did awake it was a quarter to 8:00
    Jumped in the shower and I know I was late
    Stepped out put on my jeans and my uni'
    And said to myself if I miss school I'm ruined
    But I ran down hill and I RUSHED RUSHED
    I ran down the hill TRYIN TO CATCH THE BUS
    Now I'm hopin to myself everything is cool
    Standin on my block like a fool
    But (1) I'm all alone and (2) the bus is gone
    (3) if I miss school this weekend I'll be at home
    Can somebody come real fast to my rescue
    I'm stuck at the crib and I don't know what to do

I missed the bus [ohh]
    I missed the bus
    I missed the bus [ohh]
    And that is somethin I will never ever ever do again

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    mccain fucked up with his own friends in the S&L collapse, and has basically spent the last 30 years atoning for it. The article in the times was a hit piece based on an alleged affair. The S&L scandal was thrown in, because they didnt have any evidence of an affair so the had to dredge that shit up to give them a reason foir running it. Again, its more than just knowing somebody who is corrupt and it has a lot to do with how you present your own self. Part of Giuliani's problem was that his friend was corrupt and it killed his campaign, and he's not the first. Its not like Rezko was just some client at his firm.
    uhhh no there was definitely more to the mccain article than the 20 year old scandal dude. in case you didn't realize it, the alleged affair was with a lobbyist, and during the alleged affair mccain sent a letter to a branch of regulatory govt urging the group to pass his alleged mistresses' employer's request 'posthaste,' for which he was publicly chastized by the regulators

maybe you should read the article sometime instead of assuming you know wtf you are talking about?

im not even saying mccain is guilty but you're either deliberately being misleading, or you are just entirely uninformed about the accusations leveled at mccain, which in some ways have more verifiable sources than any wrongdoing on the part of obama. in fact, there are ZERO sources re: wrongdoing on the part of obama

but like you said, its all alleged. so if the new york times can run with those types of unsubstantiated stories on the front page, why cant the Chicago Tribune ask the same questions about obama and Rezko?
    im not defending the ny times in that situation. nice try 'turning the tables' on me tho. you're the hypocrit here.

ps: one article in the new york times largely slammed by the rest of the media =/ continued references to obama's 'rezko problem,' national news mentions when there is a new twist in the rezko trial, etc

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    oh christ you brought the article up. im tired of talking about this today and everybody already thinks im a rabbid racist bible thumping republican conservative.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    no. i really did ride for obama as far as if I had to pick a democrat. My only reservation was that I thought his stance on Iraq - that he would withdraw without reservation under any circumstances no matter what they were on his taking office. But now I have real questions about his "love of America" for a lack of a better term as opposed to personal ambition. The man doesnt wear the flag (fine, maybe its a lettle overdone), wont put hand on heart for national anthem (hmmm), wife says she has never been proud of America (thats not good), and now this stuff with Wright and Rezko. I'm sorry, maybe when you grow up in private schools and universities and then go into progressive politics that kind of stuff that Wright said isn't controversial, but i have real problem with it. I thought obama would be possitive because i thought maybe he really would be a candidate that transcended race and that would be good for the country, but now I dont think he is, and he hasnt been able to show me otherwise and the price of taking that risk is too high.

^ falls for all the gutter e-mails from "A Concerned Citizen."

As a rule, I don't open spam. So why is it showing up on SoulStrut? I mean, "honest questions raised" about the lack of a FLAG PIN?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    he cant win this fight because his opportunity to do the right thing has passed. that is the result of his poor judgment. Rather than try to justify Wright, why not say "hey, I know that what he says is wrong and inexcusable, but he aslo does good things too, I am trying to show him that he is wrong, and he is a friend that I am not prepared to give up on yet." Its that easy. Instead he first tried to say he was unaware of what was going on, then he tried to justify it because his grandmother crossed the street when she saw young black people.

Did you fall asleep during the speech? Grow tired and end up skimming pages 2-6 of the transcript? Obama makes EXACTLY THOSE POINTS during his Philadelphia message. It's like I said before: the folks levying umbrage at Obama for his speech are using the same limited perspectives and flawed logic that they did before the speech.

It's like the kid behind you in class who didn't read the book but blames the teacher for holding him down. Pfft.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Can anyone explain how on the topic of Obama, the candidate I have supported since the outset, I get thrown into the "Rock & Saba" box.

Seriously?

Don't forget Vitamin as well.

I think it's kind of wack/weird too. It's not like the lefties on this site agree on everything (see: Middle East!)

That's because Rock stood up for sab when everyone wanted to ban him as well as Rock having some controversial ideas such as on torture.'

That being said, they couldn't be different.

Vitamin is not in the same category. He got in all kinds of arguments with people here, and I was one of them, but was always able to battle his points on facts and morals, not relying on anecdotes, shit talking and dodging the issues.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    right. because i didnt show up at Delay's midtown office to start a fight over the internet, im a bitch.

do you have anything else to add to this conversation, or are you just trying to shut it down becuase you dont like what you hear? Is it too hard for you to come up with an intelligble sentence?

intelligble? i think you meant intelligible, but seriously your more like bush
    than i thought, participating in wars you just can't win...

and yeah you are a bitch for not showing up that day. you said some foul shit got called on it & then acted like a straight bitch with "it's just the internet"
    your a clown.

Calm down.

Can anyone explain how on the topic of Obama, the candidate I have supported since the outset, I get thrown into the "Rock & Saba" box.

Seriously?

I think it's kind of wack/weird too. It's not like the lefties on this site agree on everything (see: Middle East!)

That's because Rock stood up for sab when everyone wanted to ban him as well as Rock having some controversial ideas such as on torture.'

Vitamin is not in the same category. He got in all kinds of arguments with people here, and I was one of them, but was always able to battle his points on facts and morals, not relying on anecdotes, shit talking and dodging the issues.

Saying.

Vitamin = right-of-center editorial columnist at a newspaper

Rock = a Texas libertarian at a bar

Saba = aspiring talk show host making an audition tape

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Seriously?

I agree. I honestly miss him around here.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Seriously?

Saying.

Saba = aspiring talk show host making an audition tape

how sad that the one dolo does not even get a mention. why must he cry.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Saying.

Vitamin is much brighter, and way more eloquent than I will ever be.

I did indeed defend Saba when he was banned because his banning was spiteful, knee jerk and hypocritical.

But talking about people's family/kids/wives is bullshit and I would never defend Saba(or anyone) of that.

It's an interesting dynamic that people who have views that fall on BOTH sides of the "Liberal/Conservative" dividing line are shunned/ridiculed by the far right and far left.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I look forward to the days when guys like Saba and Rock see that the response to Wright should be, "yeah, and now what?".

I look forward to the day when you don't stereotype me and put words in my mouth.

What exactly WAS my response??

Here are a few of your responses so far.

1) I call this the "don't lump me in with those assholes" defense.[/b]

"The Government is mostly white but certainly isn't all "white people".

The average white person would agree that the government is fucked up but when Rev. Wright doesn't distinguish the difference between the Government and "White People" it offends all those non-Governmental whites.

Big Business is mostly white but they don't represent "white people".

The average white person would agree that the Big Business is fucked up but when Rev. Wright doesn't distinguish the difference between Big Business and "White People" it offends all those working class/poor whites."

2) The "let me tell you how to deal with your anger" argument[/b]

"If so, is it done with hatred[/b] towards the people responsible or as a lesson as how the world has progressed away from such hatred? "

Barack

I will stand up for Vitamin.

Yeah - I don't really get the intense hatred he earns. People may not agree with his stance but he's almost never an asshole about it. Very reasoned in this thinking regardless of what ideological differences he may share.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    right. because i didnt show up at Delay's midtown office to start a fight over the internet, im a bitch.

do you have anything else to add to this conversation, or are you just trying to shut it down becuase you dont like what you hear? Is it too hard for you to come up with an intelligble sentence?

intelligble? i think you meant intelligible, but seriously your more like bush
    than i thought, participating in wars you just can't win...

and yeah you are a bitch for not showing up that day. you said some foul shit got called on it & then acted like a straight bitch with "it's just the internet"
    your a clown.

^^^^^^^toughest guy on interwebs.

I look forward to the days when guys like Saba and Rock see that the response to Wright should be, "yeah, and now what?".

I look forward to the day when you don't stereotype me and put words in my mouth.

What exactly WAS my response??

Here are a few of your responses so far.

1) I call this the "don't lump me in with those assholes" defense.[/b]

"The Government is mostly white but certainly isn't all "white people".

The average white person would agree that the government is fucked up but when Rev. Wright doesn't distinguish the difference between the Government and "White People" it offends all those non-Governmental whites.

Big Business is mostly white but they don't represent "white people".

The average white person would agree that the Big Business is fucked up but when Rev. Wright doesn't distinguish the difference between Big Business and "White People" it offends all those working class/poor whites."

2) The "let me tell you how to deal with your anger" argument[/b]

"If so, is it done with hatred[/b] towards the people responsible or as a lesson as how the world has progressed away from such hatred? "

Barack

I assume you're white....should we lump you in with the assholes called our Government and Big Business too?? The point I was making was NOT that I was offended by the comments, I've stated that repeatedly and that it did not effect my vote. The point was THIS is why some white folks ARE offended. No one likes to be stereotyped. Therefore your first point makes zero sense.

Your second point is directed at a question I asked, not about Obama, but about whether there is hatred verbally directed towards the Nazis in today's Jewish religion. It was an appropriate question in the context of not ignoring history. It has nothing to do with my comments about Barack whom by the way, I've supported from the get go. Your earlier comments about giving it the "Rock test" to see how long I would continue to support Barack was unfounded and insulting. I've never had anything but positive things to say about him and his campaign.

RIF

The real problem here is this.....

Comment all you want about my opinions, belittle them, debunk them, present your side of the argument.

By me posting my opinions, which I assume is what we should all do here, I'm not calling names or insulting people on a personal level.

But why is it that you(and a few others) always seem to reduce it down to just that, a name calling contest by insulting and belittling, not my opinions, but me as a person.

While you may think that posting "Rock & Saba blah blah blah makes you look cool to your fellow lefties, it makes you look like an ass to those who desire a true exchange of ideas and a debate on the issues.

And in my experience, when people resort to name calling it's because they don't have anything important or interesting to say.

• I will stand up for Vitamin.

As will I. E**'s good people.

Yeah - I don't really get the intense hatred he earns. People may not agree with his stance but he's almost never an asshole about it. Very reasoned in this thinking regardless of what ideological differences he may share.

You must not have heard his song purporting to channel the perspective of Native Americans--I don't think anybody hated him intensely until he poasted that schitt.

You must not have heard his song purporting to channel the perspective of Native Americans--I don't think anybody hated him intensely until he poasted that schitt.

Well, he makes a better policy analyst than rapper, I can agree with that.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Well, he makes a better paid propagandist for the NeoCon war machine than rapper, I can agree with that.

Well, he makes a better paid propagandist for the NeoCon war machine than rapper, I can agree with that.

Excellent!

Who is responsible for this pifftastic giffery?

I've listened to the speech and I have read it.

I had 2 different reactions to the speech.

Listening to it I heard a few jarring notes, and at times it felt clumsy. If I can remember:
    "As I said in my first book..." Some how he sounded like an author flogging his book to Terry Gross.

When he mentioned working class Whites - to me, at that time - it sounded like a response to political polling in PA. "You need to say something about this demographic that your not doing well with" kinda thing.

There were one or 2 other moments like those, that lacked eloquence.

Reading the speech it seemed more like the speech of a generation. Reading it did not seem political or calculated. It sounded like the start of a conversation that some commentators don't want to have.

Both written and spoken the Ashley bit was lost on me. Too long, too vague.

There have been other important speeches in my life time that could be included in the same breath as The Philadelphia Speech On Race. Jesse Jackson's Reconciliation speech, Bill Clinton's first inaugural speech and Barak Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2004.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

lol where's the "intense hatred?" I just scrolled through two pages of posts about how much people respect this guy.

anyway whatever allegedly questionable defense of the Iraq war Vitamin may have mounted, that was, what, like a year ago? the Soulstrut only cares about what someone has said/what has happened in the world over the course of the last week.

How is the press responding.

The Oregonian, my right wing local daily, has been very positive. It was the only story above the fold on Wednesday and had a full page with multiple stories inside. The unsigned editorial was positive, as was the editorial from the in house liberal and a national editorial that all ran on Wednesday. Today's paper had the attack from the in house conservative; to me it read like the sensible white man lecturing the naive half blood. He also endorsed Ferraro's world view. Today's paper also had a positive syndicated opinion piece and lots of letters with various views. That the story is still around today is a good thing.

All Things Considered last night was more of a disappointment. They interviewed Wright's replacement. He brought up many good points that could have been an opening to a discussion of race. Instead of perusing those points they continued with the old Fox News style questions. I have not listened to NPR much since the speech, but I have not heard any good analysis or reporting around the speech.

Overall I have seen this speech mentioned along side speeches by Lincoln and Kennedy over and over again.

The people who are not yet ready to talk about race are using this to fuel their new stereotype, "Them blacks sure do give good speeches, they have a natural inborn talent for talking pretty".

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The people who are not yet ready to talk about race are using this to fuel their new stereotype, "Them blacks sure do give good speeches, they have a natural inborn talent for talking pretty".

If only this positive stereotype had some traction, unfortunately I don't find it likely that many people are really spinning things this way. It would speak to respect of their intellect, which in actuality is constantly being assaulted in the media everyday by reducing any and all accomplishments to either by-products of, or in spite of, but always measured against, their race, specifically their Blackness.

Since it's in quotation marks I assume that this is a real quote.....

Can we have one link to something that even remotely resembles this "quote"?

Since it's in quotation marks I assume that this is a real quote.....

Can we have one link to something that even remotely resembles this "quote"?
    It is not a real quote. It is a sentiment that I see encoded in almost every right wing opinion piece on Obama, and sometimes from Hillary supportors.

When you listen to people talk about Obama, listen to how often they say something about how good his speeches are (often with a mention of Black churches, Black preachers or other Black leaders). They will say how good his speeches are "but"... and then the attacks begin.

I thought of answering your question about what my Rabbi has said, but it seemed like more of an attack on Wright, then an honest question so I let it pass.