RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
That is the question.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    S/T

US or UK?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Well, if the tie goes to the best album cover...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    London Calling for me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That is the question.

I bought "The Clash" the week it came out and I still love it, but I think "London Calling" is their most complete and enduring record. It was also the one which finally made a lot of the people who hadn't previously taken them seriously sit up and pay attention.

It's worth noting that the US configuration of "The Clash" is significantly different from the UK version and, imho, it doesn't work as well. The o.g. is a more faithful picture of where they were at musically at the time and, although the US version includes many of the classic 45-only joints like "Complete Control" and "White Man In Hammersmith Palais", you don't get quite the same sense of the rapid musical development that came between the first two albums, and which was marked out by those stand-alone singles.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    London Calling for me.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    London Calling..."Train in Vain" is one of the finest pop songs ever, and the fact they didnt even list it on the album is cool...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    That's two sides vs four! I might go with S/T cause it's such a tight record and can stand comparison to something twice its size.

Guns of Brixton is one of my all-time favourite songs - inspiring and haunting like almost nothing else in that realm, but Bored/USA, White Riot, Hate and War, Career Opportunities are a little tuffer than anything on London Calling, you know?

AK! Draw!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    uh... 'Safe European Home' makes Give Em Enough Rope better than both IMHO - sorry!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    uh... 'Safe European Home' makes Give Em Enough Rope better than both IMHO - sorry!

Please be serious.

'London Calling'

Nah, there's some great songs on that record, but it's by no means a better album than the first or LC.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    UK version of S/T blows "London Calling" out of the water, kids ...

not a dig at "London Calling," which is an incredible album, but come on.

raw energy > studio polish

... and Stiff Little Fingers "Inflammable Material" is better than both of them

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Oooooooh...controversial. It certainly has more raw energy.

I'm partial to S/T, but I have the US version, so what the hell do I know? The length of London Calling is a bit much for me, so that factors into it. More good material is a good thing, but if I can't finish it in one sitting, I feel that detracts from its value as an album.

• London Calling for me.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    london calling by far...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "White Man In Hammersmith Palais"

not a dig at "London Calling," which is an incredible album, but come on.

Oh, he di'int...can't hate on "Inflammable Material", but it wouldn't have even existed without The Clash.

"Police and Thieves" by the Clash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "Johnny Was" by SLF. You must deal.

Returning to the original topic...

Greater creative range b/w original edge > raw-boned enthusiasm.

I ride for both albums, so I can't really argue too strongly in favour of one over the other. I prefer LC for specific reasons, though - they were simply a better band by then.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Haven't heard their self-titled in a long time.

Oooooooh...controversial. It certainly has more raw energy.

I'm partial to S/T, but I have the US version, so what the hell do I know? The length of London Calling is a bit much for me, so that factors into it. More good material is a good thing, but if I can't finish it in one sitting, I feel that detracts from its value as an album.

"Sandinista" is by far the greater offender there, though - inside a triple-album weighed down by too much filler, there's a classic single album struggling to get out.

• You're all wrong--this is their best album:

[Laughs and ducks.]

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Yup.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Yup.

Yea, have to go with that one. I worked with a guy who used to blast London Calling all the time and it never grew on me.

Obscure Fact : Johnny Rotton hated The Clash, but was friends with them and let them know how he felt about thier band. As if John doesn't tell everyone what he thinks about everything.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The self-titled by far, and it doesn't matter whether its the US or UK presses with the different tracks. The ST is the CLash at their rawest.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You're all wrong--this is their best album:

[Laughs and ducks.]

It's no London Calling by any means, but...I RIDE.

it doesn't matter whether its the US or UK presses with the different tracks.

True in that it's a good record either way, but the domestic version pales in comparison.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    it doesn't matter whether its the US or UK presses with the different tracks.

True in that it's a good record either way, but the domestic version pales in comparison.

Too bad London Calling has more better songs than either, but just by a nose. And yes, I said "more better".

I've never liked London Calling. Although, I guess aside from the S/T, I don't really like the Clash all that much.

I've never liked London Calling. Although, I guess aside from the S/T, I don't really like the Clash all that much.

That gets me thinking...I'm not sure if I would like them and the rest of their music as much as I do if it weren't for that first one laying the ground work and context.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

[Laughs and ducks.]

I sure hope nobody mentions the Style Council over in the "In The City or All Mod Cons" Jam thread...

[Laughs and ducks.]

I sure hope nobody mentions the Style Council over in the "In The City or All Mod Cons" Jam thread...

lol - I almost mentioned Beat Surrender - which is a couple of short dance steps off from SC - but decided against it. I think I'm getting better at sensing your threshold lol.

• I think I'm getting better at sensing your threshold lol.