S/T or London Calling?

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think I'm getting better at sensing your threshold lol.

cripes.

lol...

• Options
    Neither...Its Combat Rock or Sandinista.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Neither...Its Combat Rock or Sandinista.

BAN

• s/t all the way but i am a huge fan of london calling.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Both are incredible but I find myself listening to the US version of S/T more often.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    london calling = better album
    s/t has the two best songs: hammersmith and police and thieves.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    US version of s/t was what I had forever, I got the UK(New Zealand) press a couple years back & it just sounds wrong with the songs in that order. But I digress, s/t > London Calling although for me, it's even close for 2nd place between London Calling & Give 'Em Enough Rope. To the people saying "Combat Rock" etc. - you all are in la la land.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    it doesn't matter whether its the US or UK presses with the different tracks.

True in that it's a good record either way, but the domestic version pales in comparison.

"Deny" "Cheat" "Protex Blue" "48 Hours" >>>> "Clash City Rockers" "Jail Guitar Doors"

... and the version of "White Riot" on the UK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the US

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The self-titled by far, and it doesn't matter whether its the US or UK presses with the different tracks. The ST is the CLash at their rawest.

Like 5 years, I noted that I liked the self-titled much better than London Calling, and people started laughing at me.

• The self-titled by far, and it doesn't matter whether its the US or UK presses with the different tracks. The ST is the CLash at their rawest.

Like 5 years, I noted that I liked the self-titled much better than London Calling, and people started laughing at me.

That's what happens when you make yourself an unlikable person.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

"Deny" "Cheat" "Protex Blue" "48 Hours" >>>> "Clash City Rockers" "Jail Guitar Doors"

"Protex Blue" is probably the only one I really miss if I listen to the US instead of UK version, I definitely miss the (US) others if I listen to the UK version though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

"Protex Blue" is probably the only one I really miss if I listen to the US instead of UK version, I definitely miss the (US) others if I listen to the UK version though.

The comments in favour of the US s/t are interesting to me. Six of the tracks on it (including White Riot) were single-only releases in the UK, and some of them date from after "Give 'Em Enough Rope", so whichever way you slice it, the US s/t ain't really as representative of how they actually sounded in 1977 as the UK one. I can understand some people's preference for it on a musical level - "White Man In Hammersmith Palais" is still one of the best things they ever did, for example - but at the time, the joy of those singles was that they were singles. When you bought a Clash album, you knew it wasn't going to be padded out with a bunch of songs you'd already bought six months earlier.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,888 Posts
    And the singles they did release were always their strongest tracks IMHO. Great band, never really appreciated their body of work until they were long split. I always thought Adam and the Ants had a Clashy-vibe about their choruses, but it could have been the beer.

I also ride for the Ants.

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I also ride for the Ants.

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

recalling punk gigs at the Lyceum and H.Palais etc etc there was always a hardore of Adam fans, full monty mohicans and studded leathers, hard as fkkk punx, with huge Adam and The Ants tattoos on their necks.
    A year or two later, TOTP, screaming girls, pop tarts, I often wonder what became of those sadcases and how it affected their lives in later years.
    There's no way the '10p for a cup of tea, mate' would have raised enough for laser treatment.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,888 Posts
    I often wonder what became of those sadcases and how it affected their lives in later years.

I ended up here.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Guns of Brixton is one of my all-time favourite songs

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Can't really say I like one better, I've listened to LC more than S/T though.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I've never liked London Calling. Although, I guess aside from the S/T, I don't really like the Clash all that much.

london calling was the only record i bought in my life that i really wanted to take back tot he store and get my money back... besides the title track and brand new cadallac, there was nothing on there for my 16 old self... now, alot of the album has grown on me, but i still never put it on and listen to it all the way thru...

the US pressing of the clash is ok "white man in hammersmith palais", "i fought the law" and "jail guitar doors" are all great tracks, but, yes, "deny" and "protex blue" and "hate" are BETTER tracks... and it feels more like an album...

the only reason i could think of to ride for the US version of s/t over the Uk version is "complete control", possibly the best clash song ever... well, it's not their most memorable song writing wise, but the feeling of paranoia and unrest it brings is not really equalled in the rest of their catalog...