Brett Favre to retire

HankScorpioHankScorpio 163 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Link:Story

Comments

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Anyone else has 288 interceptions? I love the dude, but sayin...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Aaron Rodgers looked good against Dallas. He has some big shoes to fill , though

• I agree, Rodgers did look good against Dallas. We'll see what he can do during an entire season. It's going to take a while to set in that Favre's retiring. To have the same quarterback for such a long time - it will be weird come pre-season and not seeing him out there.

I was at the last game played at County Stadium, was at Lambeau when the team held Barry Sanders to -1 yard rushing ... and have watched him on Sunday with friends and family in high school, then in college, then out of college. I grew up watching Brett Favre.

To say he had an outstanding career is an understatement, and I'm glad I was able to watch it.

• Someone should get eyes on the Mad Drama Teacher. I'm putting him on suicide watch for the next 72 hours, and I reserve the right to extend this all the way to the end of April and the draft.

Great career, fascinating person and player, the media plaudits and tributes are going to be unbearable.

• I wish he was coming back for one more season. One of my favorite players to watch ever, regardless of fan affiliation.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Dude is the Carl Yastrzemski of quarterbacks. A good player, but not the best by any means. Not even in the top five. His numbers are predominantly based on career longevity.

Hate me now.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Dude is the Carl Yastrzemski of quarterbacks. A good player, but not the best by any means. Not even in the top five. His numbers are predominantly based on career longevity......

.......and some damn good/underrated receivers to throw to.

• Dude is the Carl Yastrzemski of quarterbacks. A good player, but not the best by any means. Not even in the top five. His numbers are predominantly based on career longevity.

Hate me now.

Silliness.

• 1980Beatz1980Beatz 159 Posts
    Dude is the Carl Yastrzemski of quarterbacks. A good player, but not the best by any means. Not even in the top five. His numbers are predominantly based on career longevity.

Hate me now.

Silliness.

Generally good players' numbers usually are.

Dude has had some incredible games.

I don't know too many players that have played through the injuries he has.

concussions, dislocations and the whatnot.

Nowadays players have to bench it due to a sore hamstring or slight bruising.

And he did put up one of the best games I've ever seen the day after his father died.
    Not many people would have doen that and then played the way he did.

On eof the best to play the sport.....ever.

He will be missed.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

And he did put up one of the best games I've ever seen the day after his father died.

that was amazing.

Hate me now.

Silliness.

You can't name five better quarterbacks?

I'll start you off:

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Johnny Unitas
    Joe Montana
    Bart Starr
    Fran Tarkenton
    Joe Namath

please, add on.

I'll start you off:

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Johnny Unitas
    Joe Montana
    Bart Starr
    Fran Tarkenton
    Joe Namath

please, add on.

good list no doubt...Manning still a bit suspect on that one though.

needs a few more mvps to hold up and less advertising whoreishness

I'll start you off:

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Johnny Unitas
    Joe Montana
    Bart Starr
    Fran Tarkenton
    Joe Namath

please, add on.

God bless your soul for not calling bullshit on Tom Brady. Although I'm sure KitchenKnight could provide a convincing case that Brady deserves to be the next president and pope, in addition to being one of the best quarterbacks of all time.

He'd probably be right.

I'll start you off:

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Johnny Unitas
    Joe Montana
    Bart Starr
    Fran Tarkenton
    Joe Namath

please, add on.

God bless your soul for not calling bullshit on Tom Brady. Although I'm sure KitchenKnight could provide a convincing case that Brady deserves to be the next president and pope, in addition to being one of the best quarterbacks of all time.

He'd probably be right.

I'm from Milwaukee, so obviously I'm going to feel favre is the best QB of this era (whatever year span that may be)

I know doubt feel Brady is definitly on the path to take those reigns, especially after the year he had, but my heart will always be with #4.

nice call on Tarkenton by the way

• I'll start you off:

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Johnny Unitas
    Joe Montana
    Bart Starr
    Fran Tarkenton
    Joe Namath

please, add on.

Better or as good as Favre:

Montana
    Elway
    Marino

That's it, IMO.

Brady is a system QB.

Brady is a system QB.

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION HIS ON-FIELD GENIUS. LOOK WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Favre was fun to watch. I made a point to watch his games even though I'm a not a cheese fan. I saw him throw away many of games though. Still one of the best.

• Someone should get eyes on the Mad Drama Teacher. I'm putting him on suicide watch for the next 72 hours, and I reserve the right to extend this all the way to the end of April and the draft.

Great career, fascinating person and player, the media plaudits and tributes are going to be unbearable.

Haha!

I was walking out of school with one of the older guys I eat lunch with, and when he mentioned that the TV was all about Favre's retirement, I didn't believe him. I am still shocked. Our team is so close to the mountaintop again, and he decides to call it a career? It's unlike Favre to stop at this time.

Seems nobody remembers his three straight MVPs...

I have him as #1. I can see Manning and Brady passing him, though.

And, yes, the media tributes will be unbearable, but that proves what a hero the guy was.

Is it possible to dislike Brett Favre?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Brady is a system QB.

LOL - yeah, that system is "Let Brady win the game for you"

• Brady is a system QB.

LOL - yeah, that system is "Let Brady win the game for you"

Tee Hee. Yr boy was talkin too much shit. I'll allow that that might be a slight mischaracterization.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'll start you off:

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Johnny Unitas
    Joe Montana
    Bart Starr
    Fran Tarkenton
    Joe Namath

please, add on.

Joe Namath is probably my third favorite athlete of all time (after Walt Frazier and Charles Oakley) but I can freely admit that he does not belong on that list. He had the potential, but injuries and inconsistency were too much.

And Fran Tarkenton? No way a dude who lost four Super Bowls gets on the all-time list. You gonna ride for Jim Kelly too? Nice players, but not in the pantheon.

My top 10 off the top of my head (have to win a championship to make my list):

Unitas
    Starr
    Bradshaw
    Staubach
    Montana
    Elway
    Young
    Farve
    Manning
    Brady

And lest anyone accuse me of fanboy-ism, I hated every one of those players except Bradshaw. And Starr and Unitas were before my time, but I woulda hated them too...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

that was amazing.

I don't want to bring the hate but the Raiders sucked more than he was good that day. There should of been at least 3 int's in that game. sayin...

• And he did put up one of the best games I've ever seen the day after his father died.

that was amazing.

I don't want to bring the hate but the Raiders sucked more than he was good that day. There should of been at least 3 int's in that game. sayin...

399 yards is no small feat even against shit teams.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    A few times a year, some newspaper in Chicago would print a graph with Brett Farve's face on one and the 20 or so schlub quarterbacks that have played for the Bears. Shit was embarrassing. Everyone here, I'm sure, is breathing a small sign of relief. Maybe the tides will turn and we'll somehow stumble into a franchise QB a fifth of the dude Farve is. Probably not.

• And he did put up one of the best games I've ever seen the day after his father died.

that was amazing.

Let's not to speak ill of the recently retired.

(((i agree. they'd already given up on Bill Callahan. he was throwing up ducks, and the receivers made some heroic moves.)))

that was amazing.

(((i agree. they'd already given up on Bill Callahan. he was throwing up ducks, and the receivers made some heroic moves.)))

I think Donald Driver gave a pep talk to the receivers and backs before the game telling them that they don't drop anything that night.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

that was amazing.

I thought he was washed up a few years ago (I'm sure I'm not the only one). He played great this season though. The Brett Favre love fest every time he's on I will not miss. See you on the hall of fame.

• No Packer will ever wear #4 again, that's for sure.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Dude is the Carl Yastrzemski of quarterbacks. A good player, but not the best by any means. Not even in the top five. His numbers are predominantly based on career longevity......

.......and some damn good/underrated receivers to throw to.

Please. Sharpe is the only damn good one IMO, and that's debatable. Driver? Franks? Levens? Freeman? They'd all be 2nd and 3rd stringers compared to say Montana's targets. Favre is the same dude who made Bill Schroeder a 1000 yd man - someone who did jack after leaving GB. He's more in line with Tarkenton for his first 10 or so years and Elway outside the late Super Bowl runs, as far as not having enviable targets.