A TV show 'bout Diggin? Iz It Possible???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
How could collecting records be translated into a MTV type TV show?Dont hatt yet. Im just wondering...any ideas?Would it be character focused like the rest of their shit? Kinda like the day in the life of Timmydigalot in West Bubblefuck and his cohorts.Could Soulstrut be incorporated into the concept?Would outsiders care about the "grind"?Where would the sex appeal come from? Too obscure to crossover to Becky?Conventions & Ebay Drama?Reality Cam w/ Paychecks at Matt Dillon's?SCRATCH movie broken down for Becky and Chad?Just wondering? Feel free to shoot holes.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i'd like to see a reverse antiques roadshow type thing. where people bring in their skated elvis and/or beatles records and crink and/or jonny paychex flips out telling them they (the records) are worthless and then everybody smokes a bowl and goes to mcdonalds.

• i have been toying with this idea but since i prolly wont do it, you can steal it.

it would be a food show. where i drive around and eat cheap foods. except it always comes at the end of me looking for records. if i have money left over, i always like to eat a greasy meal of some sort. i have favorite spots that i like specifically because they are close to some dive that i otherwise wouldnt be near if i wasnt in some shitty part of town looking for records. i have actually discovered much of greater los angeles this way and i feel like i know the city fairly well if i may say so. especially in regards to junk shops and food spots. ok, i digress.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i'd like to see a reverse antiques roadshow type thing. where people bring in their skated elvis and/or beatles records and crink and/or jonny paychex flips out telling them they (the records) are worthless and then everybody smokes a bowl and goes to mcdonalds.

This would be amazing, even as a spoof.

• I like your idea shig and I think that the beat digging show is only possible in terms of a relation to something else. A side factor. You could probably get away with doing a variety of second hand find things tied in with a road trip aspect as well as food. I think you've got something with the challenge aspect of "how much money will I have left after digging and what type of food will that leave me with." That makes things interesting.

If it's all beat digging nerd shit then it would probably be boring. It be cool to see people dig stuff up and play it for you, but that's a licensing nightmare. I think it would have to be a side issue, where record nerds at home could spot things as they go along, like "oh shit, he pulled a Boscoe and put it back. Damn son!" But it couldn't be all in your face nerdy.

It would have to be funny enrgetic, informative, comical diggers too. The example of a bad look would be Diamond D all sweaty and seemingly angry in the first Deep Crates dvd.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I saw a 2+ minute commercial for Latin MTV (MTV Tres?) a few weeks ago that was basically what you described. Kind of a day in the life of a (Puerto Rican) Digalot. It wasn't terrible.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i have been toying with this idea but since i prolly wont do it, you can steal it.

it would be a food show. where i drive around and eat cheap foods. except it always comes at the end of me looking for records. if i have money left over, i always like to eat a greasy meal of some sort. i have favorite spots that i like specifically because they are close to some dive that i otherwise wouldnt be near if i wasnt in some shitty part of town looking for records. i have actually discovered much of greater los angeles this way and i feel like i know the city fairly well if i may say so. especially in regards to junk shops and food spots. ok, i digress.

Herm would be the star of that show.

As for the first idea, keep computers out of it. There has never been a good scene in a movie or tv show where someone was looking at a computer. Digalot could pull a record and say "This sold for $157 on ebay!".

I think this was done, more or less, in that John Cusak movie, you know, the one with Jack Black.

• i'd like to see a reverse antiques roadshow type thing. where people bring in their skated elvis and/or beatles records and crink and/or jonny paychex flips out telling them they (the records) are worthless and then everybody smokes a bowl and goes to mcdonalds.

Lovin' it!

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

+

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This show would be difficult. How could you go digging with a camera crew? Pull some heat and pretend like nothing? And who is to guarentee you can pull said heat? How many times have you gone out digging and come up with nothing? Nobody wants to watch that.

This being said, a show where the theme is musical discovery via buying records in shops, thrifts, from dealers, etc would be interesting. But that act could never be the focus.

• The example of a bad look would be Diamond D all sweaty and seemingly angry in the first Deep Crates dvd.

Whoo! I never saw this - sounds interesting. What happened there? Some guy all pissed and perspiring 'cause he came up empty while looking through records? Elaborate - what was up with that?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

+

- spidey

• Whoo! I never saw this - sounds interesting. What happened there? Some guy all pissed and perspiring 'cause he came up empty while looking through records? Elaborate - what was up with that?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

My schedule is pretty open if someone wants to make this happen.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    How could collecting records be translated into a MTV type TV show?

Dont hatt yet. Im just wondering...any ideas?

Would it be character focused like the rest of their shit? Kinda like the day in the life of Timmydigalot in West Bubblefuck and his cohorts.

Could Soulstrut be incorporated into the concept?

Would outsiders care about the "grind"?

Where would the sex appeal come from?

Too obscure to crossover to Becky?

Conventions & Ebay Drama?

Reality Cam w/ Paychecks at Matt Dillon's?

SCRATCH movie broken down for Becky and Chad?

Just wondering? Feel free to shoot holes.

I can see it know PIMP MY CRATE.....

• It could have a few different segments

Diggerz challenge
    Hide a few rare ($100 plus records) amongst 5000 or so dollarbin specials and let 2 contestants flip through for heat.

The worlds greatests collections
    Nothing to do with recordrama but travel the world and interview a explore some of the best private collections from Japan, Us Europe etc and

Third world digging
    A lonely planet style travelogue of the worlds most dangerous and exotic digging spots

Might not have much mass appeal but I would watch it.

• How could collecting records be translated into a MTV type TV show?

MTV type show circa 1991, or 2008? If there's a chance I can hang out with Coral while she wrestles me until I have a cardiac arrest, I'm with this. That's my Real World/Road Rules Challenge.

Would it be character focused like the rest of their shit? Kinda like the day in the life of Timmydigalot in West Bubblefuck and his cohorts.

Would that truly be interesting, though? I mean, we have a lot of characters here, which goes into their real lives. Doesn't matter if it's a "role" or not. Mr. Supreme can put together that party where everyone has to be in style, proper suits, proper everything. All about class. Meanwhile, I come out of the taxi with my really lepo shirt and he says "I know you got in that box what I want. In fact, I'm going to take that box from you right now. As for you, you can go back to the Issaquah Motel 6 and mope, because you're not coming in" and then with a few furious edits, it will replay the passing of the box of records in various angles. This is followed by a lady noticing me, kissing me deep, and then spitting right in my face. It then shows me at the Motel 6, smoking meth bought by the guard rails I found lying next to that Triple X root beer place.

Could Soulstrut be incorporated into the concept?
    Sure. In all seriousness (for the time being), it can be like that one show, True Life: I'm A Record Addict, but more drawn out. It can show people who love their music for various reasons, those who do it only to sell, those who admire the music, and those who forever search for the only grail, only to neglect washing their nails. Records are the drugs, some can control it, some can't, some maintain. It would compare the average record collector who is always on the hunt for something new and interesting, vs. the internet head who thinks he has anything and everything available to him with a few Google searches. Boscoe and Blogspot? Sure...

Would outsiders care about the "grind"?
    Depends how the grind is depicted. On one end, it might be viewed as a hobby as old as the parents of the viewers, or an "old man hobby". But if one is to say that the search for actual records is as important, if not more important, as someone's normal everyday MP3 search. It's people who want and need the records, those who cater to those who want and need, and those who have the money from their hobby, along with the extra things they have to do to pay bills. DJ'ing, recording, working at Uwajimaya, putting up new guard rails on highways, stripper, etc.

Where would the sex appeal come from?
    This would come from me, J*hn B**k.

Too obscure to crossover to Becky?
    No, considering the smart Becky, who is known on the show as Rebbie Love, is also the one who not only loves records, but makes her own stompboxes, makes her own rubber stamps, and has her own winery.

Conventions & Ebay Drama?
    eBay drama would be funny, but how about the drama of the "dead waffle" stench? Bring in model-type ladies to come to a record convention so she can get a feel for the "vinyl junkie lifestyle" and see what smells worse, the dollar bin boxes that have caked up mold, or Larry and Boobie Bob who smell like asscrack with a hint of dollar store deodorant. Fuck good deodorant and a McChicken today, there are white label Manilows, M-.

Reality Cam w/ Paychecks at Matt Dillon's?
    It's a must.

SCRATCH movie broken down for Becky and Chad?
    Briefly, or simply a segment featuring VINYL, HIGH FIDELITY, EMPIRE RECORDS, the significance of the school dance scene in the original HAIRSPRAY (the one where the two couples are kissing outside, while the actual vocalist of the song being heard inside is walking on the sidewalk, singing to his own song, drunk and poor), and DESPERATE MAN BLUES. Who are the Joe Broussard's of today's generation? Who is music's Jeff Albertson?

Just wondering? Feel free to shoot holes.
    Interview people who make ashtrays and handbags out of records, and then talk to the collector who is disgusted by "vinyl degradation".

To be serious again for a moment, does the hobby need a reality show in order for it to be valid? We all do this for different reasons, we all come from different walks of life. Record collecting in itself is not glamorous or sexy, but it can lead to things that are better than just hunting down old paper and round discs from oil resources. Talk with Faust and Shortee.

It should not be an MTV-type show, because MTV has not been about "M" in years. Take it to another network, find an angle and make it work, because I believe it can work. You can submit the idea, and have it say Modern technology has made it possible for anyone to buy a digital player, and with the internet be able to find any and almost every song ever made, with the click of a mouse, legally or illegally. But there are people out there who still look for their music the old fashioned way, and have different reasons for doing so. It's the thrill of the hunt, the discovery of something new, coming across the holy grail. It's about collecting records as a hobby, as a way of living, as a part of life. Across the country and around the world, we discover people who look to those discarded dreams to recapture them and perhaps bring them back to life, in their own unique way.[/b]

If anyone takes that idea, I want a cut. NO FREEBIES IN '08

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It could have a few different segments

Diggerz challenge
    Hide a few rare ($100 plus records) amongst 5000 or so dollarbin specials and let 2 contestants flip through for heat.

The worlds greatests collections
    Nothing to do with recordrama but travel the world and interview a explore some of the best private collections from Japan, Us Europe etc and

Third world digging
    A lonely planet style travelogue of the worlds most dangerous and exotic digging spots

Might not have much mass appeal but I would watch it.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    And who is to guarentee you can pull said heat? How many times have you gone out digging and come up with nothing? Nobody wants to watch that.

That's was budgets are for. I've never seen the Hills but I imagine a reality type show. Someone could even work as an intern @ Good Records or something like that.

Speaking of Good Records, I had a dream last night that I was a new hire there. When it was time to test my grading skills Jonny presented me with a xerox mingering mike style record to grade. I said "G-, but its a Xerox...can I grade a real record?"
    Jonny then Handed me a very deceiving Reggae 45 to which I replied

"A very strong Vg+"

"Good Job" he said, kind of shocked and happy at the same time.

I was about to take some $$ from petty cash to buy some records of some dude, but had to confer with Jonny before buying. Good thing I did. There was another girl working there too, and We unearthed a A&M psych banger and then I woke up. True story.

• And who is to guarentee you can pull said heat? How many times have you gone out digging and come up with nothing? Nobody wants to watch that.

That's was budgets are for. I've never seen the Hills but I imagine a reality type show. Someone could even work as an intern @ Good Records or something like that.

Speaking of Good Records, I had a dream last night that I was a new hire there. When it was time to test my grading skills Jonny presented me with a xerox mingering mike style record to grade. I said "G-, but its a Xerox...can I grade a real record?"
    Jonny then Handed me a very deceiving Reggae 45 to which I replied

"A very strong Vg+"

"Good Job" he said, kind of shocked and happy at the same time.

I was about to take some $$ from petty cash to buy some records of some dude, but had to confer with Jonny before buying. Good thing I did. There was another girl working there too, and We unearthed a A&M psych banger and then I woke up. True story.

• There's a few ways you could do it I reckon - you could let them loose in stores/thrifts and then make them choose things to sell, hoping to make a profit.

You could take roadtrips and meet up with various record nerds/producers at the spot.

You could get a few timmys, let them go buy records and then have them make "bangers" out of them. Possibly find a washed up rapper to "flow" over them?

You could treat it like a detective thing - you know, here's a record, now go find out about the artist. Maybe they can try and recreate it as well?

Maybe an 'all you need to know about *insert genre here* records' thing?

What about letting becky's and chad's loose in Good Records, making them buy a gang of records and then have them play a party later that night? They can be judged on the amount of oompa loompas pumping their fists in the crowd? Or have them at seperate bars to see who get's the best turnout? (Shades of 'The Apprentice' here I know...)

Maybe you could get bedroom dj's, have them tutored by some big name dj and then have them rock a full house later on?

I like the visits to various collectors that's been mentioned myself. Bonus points if every show ends in someone smashing an ipod!

If any of these ideas are taken I'd like a cushy role in the production somewhere please...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Whoo! I never saw this - sounds interesting. What happened there? Some guy all pissed and perspiring 'cause he came up empty while looking through records? Elaborate - what was up with that?

Sweaty Diamond D comes on at about, 2:23

• Whoo! I never saw this - sounds interesting. What happened there? Some guy all pissed and perspiring 'cause he came up empty while looking through records? Elaborate - what was up with that?

Sweaty Diamond D comes on at about, 2:23

Well, Diamond D doesn't seem any more pissed than the others, but he's sweating like he's trying to kick a heroin jones.

• There was another girl working there too

Now I KNOW this was a dream version of good records

• Now I KNOW this was a dream version of good records

Actually Andrew I have had two female employees in the shop over the last year... one of them didn't work out but Kate (left) still works a shift now and then

anyway

Guzzo approached me about pitching a reality show based around my record store back when it opened several years ago.

Sounds cool until you realize that it's a reality show. About records. What makes a reality show work? Drama. I don't need no drama. Mary J and shit.

There's a public access show, forget the name, about rare joints. That's about as far as I see it going. 1 am on a Tuesday.

Not that any of these ideas are bad, but you need a protagonist... who wants to be a TV actor/asshole? Not me. The less I can deal with the Entertainment Industry, the better.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    What about a Dig-Off scenario, give 2 diggers $1000 and a week to come up with some shop-dug gems (hidden camera related).

At the end, they :

1) ebay the collection off or
    2) get it valued or point scored (originality, raerness etc.) by "Some Kind of Authority" - this could be a different shop each week or panel of fellow diggers.

Whatever, the digger with the "Best" finds keeps the whole lot; the other digger's finds too.

Could put digging on the map?

• I think the guys that I buy records from are a lot more interesting than my digger friends and a bunch of DJ's. The junk dealers who get up at 3AM to start getting ready for the flea market and stay until sundown and still have to take the stuff back to storage. The guys who bid on storage units sight unseen and then have to get rid of everything within a few days. The guys who are screwed on a weekend when it rains. For me a rainy day is an excuse to sleep in. For the flea market vendor its disaster. These guys usually live in houses full of everything (and still have 2-3 storage units). I find these guys fascinating.

• you do it Bourdain style...a celebrity who knows what they are talking about and they travel the globe lookin for records. When I was meeting up with Matt Dillon one day...it seemed so shady... I was sitting with a record box on a couch in this enormous lobby of this very plush hotel with tons of rich folks sitting around drinking late morning cocktails and coffee...politely declining service from tuxedoed waiters. Then Matt, in sunglasses and baseball cap says "Eric!" shakes my hand and makes small talk, sits down, asks "what do we have here?" Flips through the box, says "Ok...let me go get some cash" Leaves to find an ATM, returns, says "Lets go up to my room" We go up to the suite and he then starts scrutinizing the condition of Bukka White raers...then plays some of his Cuban raers and discusses music with me. Add the drama of a Frank in Africa type experience (killing dinner with a machete, withdoctors, pulling Poly Ritmo raers out of home WAY off the beaten path) and some history of the local music/music being dug for...some non record related local experiences (food, bands, anecdotes)and you have a cool little half hour show on the Travel Channel...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    some non record related local experiences (food, bands, anecdotes)and you have a cool little half hour show on the Travel Channel...

I think this is a good idea. A travel-type show. Anyone seen that Globetrekker show on PBS? They go all over and do stuff. The digging show could center around the music. That would be cool.

If you wanted to go with more of an MTV style, I think you'd have to do it in the vein of Rob 'N' Big. There, the point isn't so much drama as hijinx. Rob is a skateboarder, but the show is only partially related to skating. It's more him and Big goofing off, which makes it appealing to non-skate heads. A digging reality show would have to be about a digger and the various funny shit he and his boys do in the process of looking for records.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    I was just thinking the same actually, I love No Reservations, it's the mix of an expert in a field diving into unfamiliar territory with others who share his enthusiasm. There's a great possibility to show the lifestyle, the passion, and how people from other cultures can all ride for music in general. Not to mention if you were a DJ you could film the show day-time and play a show at night. Similar to how Bordain films the show and also does book signings, lectures, etc.

You'd just have to find a host interesting enough to pull it off.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    A digging reality show would have to be about a digger and the various funny shit he and his boys do in the process of looking for records.

This is what i imagine, but w/ more than one "group" of dudes.

Timmydigalot in West Bubblefuck w/ his Buddy

That kid in Japan and his buddies.....

Hemol in NYC lookin pa nub....

Rockadelic in Texas.....

All the West coast connects.....

Cab someone please post that thread where I think Rock list the various types of Diggers he encountered/encounters...ala The Elvis/Beatles dude...etc.