Montreal I will be there soon

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Nancy has been asked to present the Iraq Names Project at a professional conference there. We will be there in early March. What should we do? We are staying on Rene-Levesque W near Rue University.Where are the dollar bins filled with copies of Jeremie?We will check out Sofdie's Habitat.What else is good?

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Habitat is indeed very cool, and worth checking out. Other good things about Montreal:

Sitting around drinking beer / coffee in the afternoons - it seems like Montreal is filled with people who don't have to work for whatever reason, and hang out in cafes & bars all day. A good area to do this in is the Plateau - up St. Denis, along Mont Royal, and the various streets in between.

Old Quarter is kinda touristy, but you can get some great baked goods at Olive & Gourmando, and it can be nice to roam around there for an hour or two.

Eating! Some great restaurants in Montreal, from upscale to casual. But a nice 3 hour dining experience is always welcome. Get some Montreal debate going by asking where the best bagels are. Buy some unpasturized cheese to smuggle back into the USA.

The contemporary art museum near Place des Arts can have some excellent exhibits - the Anselm Kiefer show there a while back blew my mind.

And, depending on the temperature, going for a walk up the mountain can be nice. Good views out over the city.

But mostly I find Montreal is more of an atmosphere than anything - I like the change in attitude that comes with the city - going out to eat at 10:00, lingering in the restaurant (with all the other patrons) until after 12:00, strolling around... it just has a slightly different mentality.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    so jelly right now, have fun dude!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    you are very well located although i wish i would be there....

unfortunately i will be coming home in late march

the weather will be pretty good (spring) but it may be melt away time so not as awesome as a mtl summer

however enjoy the cafes and restaurants and local shows

Ill hit you up on the PMs for a thoughrough recommendations digging 101

how long will you stay there and where is the conference

have fun

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Nancy has been asked to present the Iraq Names Project at a professional conference there. We will be there in early March.

What should we do?

How about getting the permission of the deceased soldiers families to use their loved ones names for a political agenda that they may not agree with or support.

Sounds like the right thing to do to me.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Nancy has been asked to present the Iraq Names Project at a professional conference there. We will be there in early March.

What should we do?

How about getting the permission of the deceased soldiers families to use their loved ones names for a political agenda that they may not agree with or support.

Yeah, just like they did at the Vietnam memorial.

What should we do?

Please to be serious.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    however enjoy the cafes and restaurants and local street prostitution....

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

What should we do?

Please to be serious.

What is not serious about this comparison? Other than the fact that the Vietnam War was over before the memorial went up?

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

What should we do?

Please to be serious.

What is not serious about this comparison? Other than the fact that the Vietnam War was over before the memorial went up?

I'm sure you know that there are laws prohibiting the use of deceased soldiers names, many lawsuits trying to stop people from using dead soldiers names, and like I stated originally "It's the right thing to do".

I respect those soldiers and their families and would not infringe on what I perceive is their rights.

If you don't think they deserve a choice in it, so be it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

What should we do?

Please to be serious.

Read Nancy's mission statement and then read the Vietnam Memorials mission statement. Neither memorial asked permission to use the fallen's names.

From Nancy's site:
    "Only last names are listed to honor the sacrifice of individuals & their families."

From the Wall's site:
    "He wanted the memorial to acknowledge and recognize the service and sacrifice of all who served in Vietnam."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just wanted to add this link to this thread. Rock will especially want to read it since he is so worried about military families getting used.

Honor the fallen

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Habitat is indeed very cool, and worth checking out. Other good things about Montreal:

Sitting around drinking beer / coffee in the afternoons - it seems like Montreal is filled with people who don't have to work for whatever reason, and hang out in cafes & bars all day. A good area to do this in is the Plateau - up St. Denis, along Mont Royal, and the various streets in between.

Old Quarter is kinda touristy, but you can get some great baked goods at Olive & Gourmando, and it can be nice to roam around there for an hour or two.

Eating! Some great restaurants in Montreal, from upscale to casual. But a nice 3 hour dining experience is always welcome. Get some Montreal debate going by asking where the best bagels are. Buy some unpasturized cheese to smuggle back into the USA.

The contemporary art museum near Place des Arts can have some excellent exhibits - the Anselm Kiefer show there a while back blew my mind.

And, depending on the temperature, going for a walk up the mountain can be nice. Good views out over the city.

But mostly I find Montreal is more of an atmosphere than anything - I like the change in attitude that comes with the city - going out to eat at 10:00, lingering in the restaurant (with all the other patrons) until after 12:00, strolling around... it just has a slightly different mentality.

Thanks!

you are very well located although i wish i would be there....

unfortunately i will be coming home in late march

the weather will be pretty good (spring) but it may be melt away time so not as awesome as a mtl summer

however enjoy the cafes and restaurants and local shows

Ill hit you up on the PMs for a thoughrough recommendations digging 101

how long will you stay there and where is the conference

have fun

Conference is in the hotel where we are staying. We arrive on a Wednesday and leave on Sunday. She will be attending conference all day, I will be out record hunting. Her parents will be there too and will want to take us out every night to expensive fancy resturants. We will cope some how. During the day I will sample delis and cafes where the real food is.

That's what I'm talking about.

What should we do?

What do these words mean to you? Funke, Bridges, White, Black, Read, Wolfe, Holland, Time, Dang?

To me they are all names of soldiers who have died in Iraq. Peoples names who I have spent time with, have meditated on.

I am going to pretend that you really care about the misuse of peoples names. So I will give you some information so that in the future you can make more intelligent comments.

1) From the very first Nancy has been thanked over and over again by veterans and families of veterans and the families and friends of people who have died in Iraq. No veteran or family member has ever said anything negative to her.

2) No one has ever asked that she not honor a family member.

3) The names are public information and are printed in the media everyday. No one owns exclusive rights to the names.

4) Since she started last May you are the only person in the world who has mentioned contacting the families. The project is big enough as it is. If you would like to contact each and every family member of each and every coalition soldier who has died and create a data base of how they want their loved ones name used or not used I am sure she will consider referencing it in the future. But I doubt that you care enough to do anything more than harass me and insult my wife.

4) Nancy's agenda is to share in the sacrifice. Most Americans rarely think about the war or the people fighting. Only those who are fighting and their families are effected by this war. Nancy wanted to share in the sacrifice. Nancy thinks about the war and the individuals who died and their families because she is on the sidewalk everyday drawing their names.

5) http://iraqnamesproject.wordpress.com/about/ Read up before you speak up.

I hope you really do care and that you now understand the issue better.

Now if any one knows where the best bagels are in Montreal I would really like to know. Also where are those dollar bins?

• ^^^ You need to go to Fairmount bagels and then St Viateur bagels, try both and then decide which one you like better. There are staunch loyalists for both, and they are only a block away from each other.

^^^ You need to go to Fairmount bagels and then St Viateur bagels, try both and then decide which one you like better. There are staunch loyalists for both, and they are only a block away from each other.

I still need to know where the record stores are at. Not just dollar bins, I'll have a pocket full of money for those Canadian raers.

Thanks for all the food help. What about architecture?

• MortiMorti 68 Posts
    Don't know about bagels but Meat Market on St-Laurent is ZE sandwich stash.

1$ bins:
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post1031721

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ^^^ You need to go to Fairmount bagels and then St Viateur bagels, try both and then decide which one you like better. There are staunch loyalists for both, and they are only a block away from each other.

I still need to know where the record stores are at. Not just dollar bins, I'll have a pocket full of money for those Canadian raers.

check thy PMs

as far as architechture

there are guides devoted to such visits

go to the architecture library of McGill University (near where your staying) and ask

check thy PMs

as far as architechture

there are guides devoted to such visits

go to the architecture library of McGill University (near where your staying) and ask

Thanks, your the man.

Don't know about bagels but Meat Market on St-Laurent is ZE sandwich stash.

1$ bins:
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post1031721

That's what I want for dinner tonight!

• Yo Dan!

You gonna get your POUTINE on??

I lived there for 2 years when I was in college and never even tried it because I'm a puss and even the name scared me. Give it a taste and let me know.

Have fun!

ps.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    First, I won't blow up any spots. Lemme just say this, if you're gonna travel with them bagels, get Fairmount Bagels because they stay fresher longer.

Enjoy my town.

peace

h

Yo Dan!

You gonna get your POUTINE on??

I lived there for 2 years when I was in college and never even tried it because I'm a puss and even the name scared me. Give it a taste and let me know.

Have fun!

ps.

a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with gravy and sometimes other additional ingredients.

• Haha that's what I thought!

• a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with gravy and sometimes other additional ingredients.

I guess when you're in Turkey you're not one to order the goat testicles.

• MsBizMsBiz 15 Posts
    Photobucket

thats whats up.. this is the right medicine to avoid hang overs.

a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with gravy and sometimes other additional ingredients.

I guess when you're in Turkey you're not one to order the goat testicles.

NOT PICKLED! I'll eat most anything sauteed in butter and garlic.