Montreal I will be there soon

13»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Just so you know ive reported your threat to raj.

Nobody threatened you, little pussy bitch.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Just so you know ive reported your threat to raj.
    That's weak....

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    20 year old americans that come to town in groups of 20 and act like retards on the main street yelling and saying retarded sh*t while wearing the practically the same outfit as everyone else in their group

Hmmmm. These don't happen to be spiky-haired guidos do they? I'm still working on my guisis (word to GBH) and I would love to get info on their migration habits.

20 year old americans that come to town in groups of 20 and act like retards on the main street yelling and saying retarded sh*t while wearing the practically the same outfit as everyone else in their group

Hmmmm. These don't happen to be spiky-haired guidos do they? I'm still working on my guisis (word to GBH) and I would love to get info on their migration habits.
    Yes they happen to have spike hair, wear polo or button up shirts with faded jeans. Some even wear nike or champion visers..... Were those ever fashionable?????
    It's really simple. Since drinking laws over here are different(i.e. you are of age at 18 ) they come here and get real drunk real fast because it seems they're not use to it....
    I personally can't understand that cuz when I was 12 until 18 we would get someone that could grow a beard to get it for us or just ask some guy that hapened to be passing by to get it for us.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Yes they happen to have spike hair, wear polo or button up shirts with faded jeans. Some even wear nike or champion visers.....
    Were those ever fashionable?????

verrrrry interesting.....*takes notes* Those sound like guidos to me. Were the button-up shirts striped?

I'm just kidding. you don't have to answer. I think it was probably combination of legal drinking and the road trip aspect of going to Canada. Sometimes you just have to get out of Jersey.

Do Canadian women have a reputation for being easy? That may play a role too.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    au pied du couchon is a destination restaurant.

other big names in mtl include Norman Laprise' Toque.

I'm partial to fairmount bagels, they stand up to freezing quite well. I buy a big stash each time I'm there.

I understand that Toque has fallen off in recent years, but I'm game for another visit.

Don't forget the MTL classics: L'Express and Au Petit Extra. Both have great bistro atmosphere and L'Express has the best os a moelle and ile flottant in the city (in North America?). Love those gherkins on the table, too.

A Soulstrut Montreal epicurean tour for 2008 is totally necessary. Travelling for records is passe, travelling for food is where it's really at.

Hey Aser: I dropped too much on local bitters and dozens of east coast oysters in halifax this week. I'm glad it wasn't me shucking them!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Can we leave the name-calling for another thread?
    Montreal doesn't need that.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    au pied du couchon is a destination restaurant.

other big names in mtl include Norman Laprise' Toque.

I'm partial to fairmount bagels, they stand up to freezing quite well. I buy a big stash each time I'm there.

I understand that Toque has fallen off in recent years, but I'm game for another visit.

Don't forget the MTL classics: L'Express and Au Petit Extra. Both have great bistro atmosphere and L'Express has the best os a moelle and ile flottant in the city (in North America?). Love those gherkins on the table, too.

A Soulstrut Montreal epicurean tour for 2008 is totally necessary. Travelling for records is passe, travelling for food is where it's really at.

Hey Aser: I dropped too much on local bitters and dozens of east coast oysters in halifax this week. I'm glad it wasn't me shucking them!

Other sweet montreal eats - I had an awesome (3+ hour) meal at La Chronique (doesn't mean what you think). Also, La Montee du Lait up in the Plateau was very good. Very small, too, so make a reservation. Le Pistou on Mont Royal is good, and another thing that I like about Montreal is fondue restaurants - there are several, Fonduementale being the most famous. A good tapas place is Pinxto on Roy.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    I loved Montreal as a whole when I visited, but found the record prices on the high side. My wife and I were treated nicely by everyone; maybe it was the last name.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    If you don't go to Dollar Cinema then you haven't experienced Montreal at its finest.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    If you don't go to Dollar Cinema then you haven't experienced Montreal at its finest.

And La Chronique is another MTL classic.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

And La Chronique is another MTL classic.

toqu?? has fallen off

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone mention Joe Beef yet, which is in my work hood. Toque hasn't been a spot for a minute. LC may have mentioned a staff/management change there. Gibby's is an old school spot, as is Moishe's. Those are both historic restaurants in MTL. I don't know if you go there for the food as much as for the history. It's like Schwartz's: a landmark that has been surpassed by several deli's, but it is still a popular spot. Also, you can kick it with Bob Ganiey & Jean Beliveau over at Moishe's. Queue De Cheval might have better steaks, tho. L'Entrec??te Saint-Jean is another good spot for steak-frites & is a little slept on. I like the decor there, too. L'Express was my favorite French resto before I went Vegetarian some years ago. I'm sure it still holds up. I find that local cuisine has been eclipsed by ethnic foods in the last few years. I think you'd find some great Lebanese spots (and I'm not talking aboy Basha) in town, better than in most cities. Daoust is one such resto. I've also found Indian spots in the suburbs that are CRAZY, but I won't blow up those spots. I have some Chinese & Japanese places I like, but I don't take people to those places. Those are my secret hideouts.

• Schwartz's: a landmark that has been surpassed by several deli's

name one. i am a deli maven and i will go as far as to say its one of the best in the world.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Schwartz's: a landmark that has been surpassed by several deli's

name one. i am a deli maven and i will go as far as to say its one of the best in the world.

I really don't blow up spots, but I will make an exception for the fishmonger.

I could give you a whole story & break down about this topic, but, for now, I will just say Smoked Meat Pete.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Snowdon Deli beats Schwartz's.
    Of course it's not central in any way, but there won't be Frickin' crazy tourist line-ups on the weekend.

Go to Cosmo's on Sherbrooke W. in NDG for a breakfast. Health freaks can by-pass.

I await summertime here with a ridiculous amount of impatience.

I don't think he's gonna spend the whole day eating while he's here , so...
    What kind of stuff are you interested in ?
    Like what did you have in mind?
    Concerning record stores I guess everybody will just give you te same names :
    Primitive, Beatnick, Renart Bleu, Pop Shop, Le Pick-Up, Marche du Disque... all can be found in the yellow pages here in MTL.
    Music clubs/bars check out:
    Blizzarts on fridays and or saturdays, Pub Quartier Latin most of the time,etc...
    For a rate of $50 an hour I'll hook you up with a tour guide ....

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    The snow situation here is absolutely

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The snow situation here is absolutely

Thank you everyone for your help.

^ These are from before the snow dump that stranded us for 2 days.

^ Thanks for the Church Shop tip. Found some disco heat in a Church Shop on Rue Sainte Catherine.

^ Was very disappointed in Montreal architecture. We didn't make out to Habitat, but what I saw walking around was less than inspiring.

^ We were going to go out Habitat on Saturday, but the blizzard kept us close to the hotel. Walking back from old town we ate at McGill Hotdog.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    More heat from Montreal

More Montreal photos and Night Owl Record Show photos here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24699686@N08/