Weekend Finds

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    question about the Curtis- Roots:

Do the reissues have the calendar? I just want to verify that this is an OG. it also has a textured cover, like laminated but scaly. i'm pretty sure this has to be OG... thanks

That sounds like an OG to me. My 'Roots' also has that scaly feel and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't go through the trouble to include the posters in the re-issues.

I NEED a CURTIS POSTER!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    DON'T RISK IT. LISTEN to MR. AHHHHREEEE. He dances around in his skivvies to calypso, african, reggae, more island funk, dub, sweet soul, heavy funk 45s, and latin records THAT WILL WORK YOU AND MELT YOUR FACE OFF, SON.

SAYING. BEST TO GIVE UP NOW. ALL YOUR RAER BELONG TO ALEIT.

speaking of MR. AHHHHREEEE, I copped this today and am digging it on a Sunday morning:

Word to the Guzzo, too. I'll be checking for TESSIE from now on!

• BuddahBuddah 23 Posts
    Hello You all

I've been a long time lurker and have posted only a couple of times. To tell you all the truth, being in Portugal makes me feel very minor league when i see what i find week after week and compare it to your amazing Weekend Finds threads. I managed recently to get my hands on an interesting batch of 45s. They are all mint promo copies sent to this portuguese distributor in the 70's. They were mostly unplayed and i'm still going through the 200 i bought. I selected a few to show. Finally i am proud enough of one of my finds to contribute to this. That's it: thank you all for all the info you've been sharing. I've said it before, but it's never enough. Here's a few (shitty) photos of the 45s i got.

ain't no shame in your game RMA BUDDAH

those are some nice 45s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hollar, paece to Portugal

• BuddahBuddah 23 Posts
    Cheers mylatency

thanx for the words man!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Errol Parker[/b]- My own bag v.3

Still sealed.
    Broke the seal.
    Dope.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

a bunch of latin

that "Fuego" LP by Mongo is sick as fuck... funky shit, with some acid rock guitars on the last track... triped out...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This:

Sealed.

That is all.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    This:

Sealed.

That is all.

it's enough. love that record.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

a Michigan garage double-sider.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Upgrade copy of:

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I traded in a bunch of whatever jazz and soul and basically a bunch of new stuff used ("the massacre" com's new album, that gamm remix of michael jackson, and a bunch of other shit underground/new soul stuff that Faux_Rillz enjoys but woudn't admit in public)

The two highlights:

The new Joe Bataan LP
    and I found a copy of Com' "Like water for chocolate instrumentals"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    7 dollars media mail? wow- nice rekkid

7 dollars media mail?

Disgusting. $7 is priority rate. Media is never higher than $3 unless you are packing more than 3 records.

• I like that YOGA track. It blows my mind for some reason. There are so many influences in that one song.

I've found at least one track on most of those LPs that I like.

Love,

The Original Poster

• OK, anyone up on this record? I picked it up on the strength of the cover and I have to admit, when I first gave it a cursory needle drop listen I was like because I was hoping there might be a cut or two of Island funk. But now that I'm actually sitting down and listening with no expectations or prejudices there's some pretty deep playing on it. It's on Tam-Tam Records and one of the instruments is tam tam - does anyone know what kind of instrument that is? The group was out of Port-au-Prince (from what I can tell from the liner notes, which are in French). Aleit, Soulfriere, anyone else know this record?

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
    Yeah I hear ya. $7.00 is rediculous, especially for media. I'm gonna try to talk him or her down to at least $4.00. Either way still a hell of a deal, definitely one of my best finds.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    OK, anyone up on this record? I picked it up on the strength of the cover and I have to admit, when I first gave it a cursory needle drop listen I was like because I was hoping there might be a cut or two of Island funk. But now that I'm actually sitting down and listening with no expectations or prejudices there's some pretty deep playing on it. It's on Tam-Tam Records and one of the instruments is tam tam - does anyone know what kind of instrument that is? The group was out of Port-au-Prince (from what I can tell from the liner notes, which are in French). Aleit, Soulfriere, anyone else know this record?

> tam tam - does anyone know what kind of instrument that is?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    notes, which are in French). Aleit, Soulfriere, anyone else know this record?

Haitian is the new Afrobeat. You gotta get up to get down.

I have a bunch of Haitain records, but not this. However, I have a few where the band poses in front of P.O.S. cars like that. I'm guessing it the same style music. Personally I find it fascinating, groovy not funky.

• notes, which are in French). Aleit, Soulfriere, anyone else know this record?

Haitian is the new Afrobeat. You gotta get up to get down.

I have a bunch of Haitain records, but not this. However, I have a few where the band poses in front of P.O.S. cars like that. I'm guessing it the same style music. Personally I find it fascinating, groovy not funky.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of African influences to the record I posted, not really any American influences that I can discern. A lot of Caribbean music turns me off because it's too happy and sunny sounding but this one doesn't really have that vibe so much. I wouldn't say it's dark but it does have a serious groove to it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    OK, anyone up on this record? I picked it up on the strength of the cover and I have to admit, when I first gave it a cursory needle drop listen I was like because I was hoping there might be a cut or two of Island funk. But now that I'm actually sitting down and listening with no expectations or prejudices there's some pretty deep playing on it. It's on Tam-Tam Records and one of the instruments is tam tam - does anyone know what kind of instrument that is? The group was out of Port-au-Prince (from what I can tell from the liner notes, which are in French). Aleit, Soulfriere, anyone else know this record?

Yep, haitian group. Style of music is called compas. generally percussion and guitar driven stuff... very dynamic, uptempo, group chants, long guitar solos, some groups use accordion. i love the style. not for everybody.

now for the real question- want to trade that one along to me? i've got a some others on the label. don't have anything by les animateurs. would love to check it out.

GO TO SLEEP MR. AHHHHHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

saying

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    I like that YOGA track. It blows my mind for some reason. There are so many influences in that one song.

I've found at least one track on most of those LPs that I like.

I listened to Y.O.G.A. again and it is better than I remembered. There's one record in your lot (lower right, is it called Imrandaar?) that's a guilty pleasure of mine. It's like a fake african disco track, if I remember right, with a beat that reminds of Ultravox or something. It's pure sleaze. Probably with a see-through-sari-girl-in-the-rain scene to accompany it. The one with the sax player that looks promising is a bit disapointing, I think.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

chilled w/ j. paycheck and f. moses for a minute yesterday. we talked about this one guy who has been showing up on the street with some excellent music for sale cheap. went lookin for him to no avail, so, we decided to have a few sunday afternoon bloody marys. on my way walking home who do i run into??? that dude. almost everything here is up for grabs. holler at my pm.

oh, not pictured here are doubles of MC Breeze - Superbaad and a Reggie Griffin & Technofunk 12"

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    most of these were from the flea market yesterday... about 6 of them were from indiana45s garage sale...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

And just what is that 45 next (LOOK UP) to the "Thriller" that's blue with the diamonds on it?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    jinx with the lesbian jump offs...

that lilith record show up a lot in the bay?

• Options
    Tam Tam are drums, no?

Or a pot-infused Sunday afternoon at the park in Montreal?