Weekend Finds

Comments

• Do I need to defend myself?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    While I'm happy to sell profoundly mediocre Bollywood OSTs for lots of money, I don't know why people want them aside from wannabe hiphop producers looking for samples. Yes, there are a handful of amazing soundtracks, but that majority are terrible (unless you have a genuine interest in Indian film music). I suppose it's hype; Bollywood was the popular exotica for a while. A certain type of would-be collector wanted their Brazilian, got tired of that, looked to the mysterious subcontinent--India has funky music!?--and now lusts after Afro or Island funk while the guys who unearth the stuff are twenty steps ahead.

DIE

what you are saying is very true though

"ONE STEP BEYOND" IS THE WAY TO GO

I AM WAITING FOR THE SKA REVIVAL TO SINK IN

PEACEFUL SOLUTIONS FOR DAYS

AP GOT THAT JD EMMANUEL AND YOU ARE ALL SLEEPING ON WIZARD NOODLES

YOU SLEPT!

my find of the day:

Great female LP, more rocky and fun but not deep like Perhacs. Reminds me of a scrappy lighter version of Janis Joplin.

Scored a grip of other junk, tonnes of CDs too. The weekend is still young....

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    Classic story!
    Went to the store to get a brewsky-dawg when I got off work yesterday and was stopped by a bum with a grocery cart who wanted to sell me a dustbuster and some old magazines. He saw my tatoos(45 adaptors) and asked if I liked records. He had about 10 LPs in his cart...I PULLED THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got one other jazz LP I'm gonna hit Hook-Up with...can't remember what it was.
    Dude wanted a dollar and I gave him three!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Nice one, I'm still lookin for that Phil Upchurch. I just got a The Moments "on top" lp and a Bobby Patterson 45 with a pic sleeve. (one of those 1980 reishes on the Charley R&B label)

• Options

Not very highlife.

K in Canada.

• bought these today

Calender - It's a monster
    Rasputin Stash - Devil made me do it

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    dude is that latinaires common in canada? you seem to pull that every other week!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Classic story!
    Went to the store to get a brewsky-dawg when I got off work yesterday and was stopped by a bum with a grocery cart who wanted to sell me a dustbuster and some old magazines. He saw my tatoos(45 adaptors) and asked if I liked records. He had about 10 LPs in his cart...I PULLED THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got one other jazz LP I'm gonna hit Hook-Up with...can't remember what it was.
    fuckin rad story man! were the records in good shape?

• Options
    dude is that latinaires common in canada? you seem to pull that every other week!

I wouldn't say common - the sleeve was pressed here, however. Dudes just know to get at me with Caribbean stuff. I don't know anyone other than my cohort that's turned one up lately.

K.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

fuckin rad story man! were the records in good shape?

Got some scratches but both play fine. Cal still had shrinkwrap on him.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts

Great typo (or is it some Photoshop twiddling?)...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

i didn't catch that. AWESOME. lol so what's gonna happen, since he has already copped it?!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I haven't been buying records as frequently as usual lately, but I did come up on these two small label Christian records with nice cover art...

W. Cleon Skousen "Building Balanced Children" (Key): Los Angeles based spoken word record

John Noble "The John Noble Story" (Audio Bible Society Of America): Anti-communism spoken word autobiography about a guy who was jailed and tortured by the Soviets during World War II.

• Options

i didn't catch that. AWESOME. lol so what's gonna happen, since he has already copped it?!

They're all like that. I've seen that on other Canadian reggae records, too. Looks like is was

K.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yes, that's my yard sale style...nice old Moms will have a stack of decent jazz LP's and be all "how about $1?" and I'll be like, "How about $5?" Not that there haven't been dudes with 5 for a dollar records where I'm counting out eighty cents cause I only wanted four...

Nice score, and the karma will come in handy, too.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Also pulled this weird French record by this dude called Tala Andre Marie. The LP is called 'Hot Koki' and has one really nice track and a few other ok ones.

Yeah that's a nice Afrobeat track on that record...first person I ahve heard mention it. Pulled mine out a few years back at a flea, kinda beat, but that track(also called 'Hot Koki' I believe)was clean and the burner!
    Word. Yeah the title cut is the dope track. I did a little research actually and it turns out that this dude was from Conga or something, and that james brown ripped off this track from this dude and released it as the Hustle. Dude sued james brown and won!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    turns out that this dude was from Conga

the congo. a.k.a zaire.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    The best one for me was this one for 10kr.=$1 and 50cents

also got:

Shubidua - 1
    dells - S/T '73
    the brothers - don't stop now

ann i won some ebay auctions so I'm waiting for these titles:

-SYREETA: ???S/T???
    -SYREETA: ???Stevie Wonder presents???
    -SLY & FAMILY STONE: ???Stand!???....finally, last of their lps I needed.
    -ROTARY CONNECTION: ???Hey Love???......Can't wait to hear this. Minnie Riperton on vocals. Should be their best LP.
    -SHUGGIE OTIS: ???Inspiration Information???.....finally
    -DUKE PEARSON: ???The Phantom???

• This here weekend yielded me:

Bobby Byrd "I Need Help" sealed original LP
    Gene Russell "Talk To My Lady" LP on Black Jazz
    Trouble Funk "Trouble Funk Express" 12" on D.E.T.T.
    Hot, Cold Sweat "Meet Me At The Go-Go" 12" on D.E.T.T.
    Toe Fat "s/t" LP
    One Way "Cutie Pie" 12"

Deep Beats and Deep Crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts

I don't get it either. While I'm happy to sell profoundly mediocre Bollywood OSTs for lots of money, I don't know why people want them aside from wannabe hiphop producers looking for samples. Yes, there are a handful of amazing soundtracks, but that majority are terrible (unless you have a genuine interest in Indian film music). I suppose it's hype; Bollywood was the popular exotica for a while. A certain type of would-be collector wanted their Brazilian, got tired of that, looked to the mysterious subcontinent--India has funky music!?--and now lusts after Afro or Island funk while the guys who unearth the stuff are twenty steps ahead.

I've been collecting Indian soundtracks for a while. Don't you think that in the eighties the Indian soundtracks are on average much better than eighties soundtracks from the West? I can not name too many western eighties soundtracks that are of any interest. I know, there's a whole different approach to the genre of the soundtrack in India, with almost all stuff being songs (well, as are most western soundtracks from 1980 on), but still... I wonder what you compare them to.

I do agree that if you're interested in funk, It's hard to find piles of Bollywood gemms and mostly, if you find one, they have just one or two tracks with the funk. If you're more of a generalist, you can find so many nice ones. I think it's true though that you cannot take too much chances buying blindly, as would be the case with many genres.

But still, I'm interested which western eighties soundtrack outdoes, let's say, Haadsaa? And what does the real collector collect as opposed to the would-be collector?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I don't get it either. While I'm happy to sell profoundly mediocre Bollywood OSTs for lots of money, I don't know why people want them aside from wannabe hiphop producers looking for samples. Yes, there are a handful of amazing soundtracks, but that majority are terrible (unless you have a genuine interest in Indian film music). I suppose it's hype; Bollywood was the popular exotica for a while. A certain type of would-be collector wanted their Brazilian, got tired of that, looked to the mysterious subcontinent--India has funky music!?--and now lusts after Afro or Island funk while the guys who unearth the stuff are twenty steps ahead.

I've been collecting Indian soundtracks for a while. Don't you think that in the eighties the Indian soundtracks are on average much better than eighties soundtracks from the West? I can not name too many western eighties soundtracks that are of any interest. I know, there's a whole different approach to the genre of the soundtrack in India, with almost all stuff being songs (well, as are most western soundtracks from 1980 on), but still... I wonder what you compare them to.

I do agree that if you're interested in funk, It's hard to find piles of Bollywood gemms and mostly, if you find one, they have just one or two tracks with the funk. If you're more of a generalist, you can find so many nice ones. I think it's true though that you cannot take too much chances buying blindly, as would be the case with many genres.

But still, I'm interested which western eighties soundtrack outdoes, let's say, Haadsaa? And what does the real collector collect as opposed to the would-be collector?

and this is the reason why i don't collect "western" soundtracks either or really soundtracks at all for that matter.

i raised the question not cause i was criticizing this particular genre, but more out of curiousity about the appeal. An mp3 was posted from the original poster's finds and it sounded awful to my ears... but that is only my opinion... but i still couldn't quite figure out what it was that folks are looking for on these soundtracks- the obvious funk(y) tunes, ok, i get it, although a lot of that stuff doesn't sound so hot to me either... but otherwise- is it for sampling purposes? to dance around at home with the lights out? to secretly learn the words and hum along in the car on the way to work?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Don't listen to this guy. He dances around in his skivvies to calypso records.

I don't like the Y.O.G.A. track either, apart from the few laughs I had with it. The instrumental Disco Cammatta is great though. But you're right, playing soundtracksin general requires activism, dropping the needle on that particular spot to change the record for another one only a minute later. God knows why people like me do that.

I use the Indian soundtracks mainly for compilations. I like to space out on them in general. Plus it's just fun finding them. I feel anything can happen on them. I hate Bollywood movies, by the way, exept for some horror titles from the eighties and one or two others.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Don't listen to this guy. He dances around in his skivvies to calypso records.

gotta go flip the record now.

I found a nice Calypso record yesterday. Bang Bang Lulu in New York. Because of the cover. But it's the same story again. I like only two tracks. I guess some people listen to WHOLE records? I have some records that I can play from beginning to end, but not many.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    to dance around at home with the lights out? to secretly learn the words and hum along in the car on the way to work?

Busted!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I went to the Royal Oak antiques flea thingy this morning - now I remember why I never go... The dudes with records are mad suspicious & stingy about whatever records they have - somebody probably gave them $100 for a thousand dollar 45 once & now they think everything is worth that.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    digital and analog digs:

Vanessa / Michael Naura
    Harvest / Richard Davis
    (^from Davesrecords)

Liberation of Contemporary Jazz Guitar / Bruce Johnson+ Rodney Jones (Strata-East)
    Roots / Curtis (w/ calendar)
    Schizophrenia / Wayne Shorter
    Odyessey of Iska / Wayne Shorter (xtra copy)
    Wade in the Water / Ramsey Lewis

question about the Curtis- Roots:
    Do the reissues have the calendar? I just want to verify that this is an OG. it also has a textured cover, like laminated but scaly. i'm pretty sure this has to be OG... thanks